A message of support for Matthew LaClair

Guest S

The system is hurting already in so many different places. As someone else in this thread said, if we want to talk about a hurt system there are much larger objects of attention, even in the area of education. If other people were hurt by what this teacher had to say, then why is it that Matt seems alone in this? If you have recieved correspondence with these hurt people, then why dont they take a stand with Matt?

Also I would like to add that a lot of people should be careful about what they read in the papers and see on the news, because my cousin did an interview for the news upon this subject and the only thing they used was the one negative thing he said. Not that anyone doesn't know that the media twists things, Im just stating this cause I saw a couple of posts regarding the paper and news reports.

Also, if Matt were in a history class in College and the teacher preached like this would he go to the papers? It is my understanding that in college you are treated like an adult, and are expected to hear things you disagree with. In the real world if someone preaches somewhere they shouldn't dont you just walk away?

I would also like to know whether this teacher has done this sort of thing before or whether it is a first time?

Nick, right?

You're asking me to compare some people's motives to others. I can only speculate about others, but Matthew has a deep sense of justice, and perhaps is more willing to tolerate this sort of abuse to do what is right. He knows he is right, and that helps. I know that for a fact.

Think about it. What are some of the hardest things to do? One of the hardest is to stand against the crowd, including your peers. Honestly, I thought you understood that. You always struck me as someone who did. Read the end of the first Harry Potter novel. Whose ten points put Harry's house over the top, and why? Yes, I know it's just a story, but there are good reasons why it was so popular. Or, if you want a real-life story, consider former President Ford, whose funeral was just in the news. His pardon of Richard Nixon was very unpopular at the time, but many people now believe it was instrumental in healing the nation. Harry Truman was another American president who was unpopular in his time, but made decisions with courage and conviction, and is now seen as one of our finest presidents. Or Martin Luther King, who was vilified all his life as a troublemaker, even called a Communist, and was tracked closely by the FBI. Today he is virtually a national saint. Integrity means doing what is right even if it isn't popular, sometimes precisely because it isn't popular.

------

Paszkiewicz has done this before, according to several people who have come forward. I believe it is obvious just by the way he was speaking on the recordings that he had done this before. Finally, by his own admission at the meeting in the principal's office on October 10, he didn't do anything differently in Matthew's class than he has been doing for the past fifteen years. So clearly this is a long-standing pattern.

• Replies 630
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The system is hurting already in so many different places. As someone else in this thread said, if we want to talk about a hurt system there are much larger objects of attention, even in the area of education. If other people were hurt by what this teacher had to say, then why is it that Matt seems alone in this? If you have recieved correspondence with these hurt people, then why dont they take a stand with Matt?

Also I would like to add that a lot of people should be careful about what they read in the papers and see on the news, because my cousin did an interview for the news upon this subject and the only thing they used was the one negative thing he said. Not that anyone doesn't know that the media twists things, Im just stating this cause I saw a couple of posts regarding the paper and news reports.

Also, if Matt were in a history class in College and the teacher preached like this would he go to the papers? It is my understanding that in college you are treated like an adult, and are expected to hear things you disagree with. In the real world if someone preaches somewhere they shouldn't dont you just walk away?

I would also like to know whether this teacher has done this sort of thing before or whether it is a first time?

Sorry, the above response is mine.

I had a feeling--these people are stooping pretty low to just invent things now to try and incriminate Matthew with (even though they are such pitiful attempts that even if they were true, they wouldn't hurt Matthew's 'case' in the least). Truly pathetic. :)

That is exactly right. They're just making it up now. It truly is pathetic.

Just what kind of god do these people worship, that they imagine their god calling them to bear false witness against their neighbor?

Guest Kevin from Tx.
I had a feeling--these people are stooping pretty low to just invent things now to try and incriminate Matthew with (even though they are such pitiful attempts that even if they were true, they wouldn't hurt Matthew's 'case' in the least). Truly pathetic. :)

Matthew wore a skirt to school after being told he couldn't wear shorts ?? If that's true, then it sounds to me like Matt's a little wiseass that was intentionally baiting his teacher with leading questions.

Thank you Mr. Laclair's lawyer. Since Paul doesn't work, he needs a lawyer to work for him. You have done an okay job, but not enough to win the case. Your arguments are not very intelligent...You need a talk with Bryan. Peharps you can learn something from him.

Matthew wore a skirt to school after being told he couldn't wear shorts ?? If that's true, then it sounds to me like Matt's a little wiseass

If it is true, I think he has not only tremendous balls (XD) but a sense of humor, and a sharp mind too.

that was intentionally baiting his teacher with leading questions.

Looks like someone else didn't listen to the recordings.

Besides, even if Matthew _did_ try and 'bait' the teacher, that wouldn't make the teacher any less wrong for going along with it. You know what one, as a teacher, does when they're asked questions or feel led into inappropriate topics by a student? They tell them so and end the conversation.

All you've done was suggested more incompetence from Mr. P. by suggesting he didn't have the integrity to do that. That is, if your statement about 'leading' had any truth to it.

Thank you Mr. Laclair's lawyer. Since Paul doesn't work, he needs a lawyer to work for him. You have done an okay job, but not enough to win the case. Your arguments are not very intelligent...You need a talk with Bryan. Peharps you can learn something from him.

Learn something from the guy who thinks Mr. P. is innocent because he's not Congress?

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

No thanks. :)

By the way, your sarcasm is truly shoddy.

Guest bik49ypik@yahoo.com

There comes a time for all of us to grow up. We all talk about justice and doing the right thing. This has gone way beyond just plain stupidity and its time to just let it rest. We can conclude that the infamous "15-minutes of fame" have been achieved by Paul LaClair, the Observer, and even this Kearnyontheweb website. We all like to believe we are right and against religion.

I for one can't see how one can live his or her normal life and still have time to comment or attack in these blogs on a daily basis. Just imagine a perfect world or a in a smaller cosmos a perfect Kearny. First lines from Lennon's "Imagine"

Imagine there's no heaven

It's easy if you try

No hell below us

Above us only sky

Imagine all the people

Living for today...

I recall these words being in one of Kearny High's Yearbook, but since I do not have it in front of me, I forget the year.

If this isn't today's society, than what is. We abandon all forms to religion and attack it on all fronts. Whether we wish to admit it, religion has been a part of history, a major part and either directly or indirectly the cause of most wars. It just can't go away because some Lawyer wishes it too.

Imagine that instead of posting one of these "poison posts" that each person who posted each of these put that passion into their daily lives and did just one good thing a day for someone. I am going to start now with me and hoping it spreads.

Ray Charles could then again smile and sing "What a Wonderful World."

Hello, Matthew.  You're a great kid.  With your courage, dedication, insight and youth you could go to be a great man.  Keep up the fight.  If only the religious radicals could see what damage they are doing to the freedom of this great country...

George Shiffer, Assistant State Director, Michigan Atheists

Hey George, perhaps you can reach an agreement with those of us in "Sopranos" country to - let's say - ensure that some harm might befall your boss such that you could then become the actual State Director of the Michigan Atheists. You think about it and you let us know.

Guest Doris Casella
I was raised a Catholic and I would have been shocked to hear this sort of preaching the classroom (my parents wisely sent me to public school vs Catholic). I don't even think I heard this "non-Christians going to hell" gibberish in my once-a-week church CCD classes!

There's a time and place for religious teaching of this extent. The teacher has an OBLIGATION to teach these advanced-level students what they truly need in order to suceed in college. Religious opinions do not count. (won't be covered on the SAT!)

It's ironic - - Americans are angered by the existence of hard-line Islamic schools in Pakistan (terrorist breeding grounds), but many don't blink if we are going down the same path... 

Going by what this teacher has said to the class, anyone who supports keeping him clearly has their own religious agenda. WAKE UP - - the reason why our country is so great and why we're free blah blah blah is in part because we HAVE a separation of Church and State! Get it?

Matthew, it took guts to do what you did, congratulations. And if it's any consolation, you'll have all new friends in college!

I can't believe I forgot to ask him when I got a chance to talk to him one on one a couple of weeks ago. x.o (My father is pretty good friends with him)

Well, the next time you do, he ought to have some opinion on this (and it really shouldn't start with the phrase ... "It's time for the healing to begin ...".

Good job, Matthew! I find it encouraging that someone so young knows how inappropriate it is for a teacher to proseltize in a publicly-funded classroom. Don't buckle to the pressure from these folks!

Mike B.

Hoboken, NJ

Thank you for standing up for the Constitution, Matthew.

I used to tape record lectures in a few different classes in college for review purposes because I noticed that every now and then I would miss something because subjects always move along so quickly and some subject material can be very complex. No instructor I worked with ever objected to being recorded and my grades always benefitted positively from having more data than just in-class notes to review. I can't believe you have had to endure criticism just for having taped the lectures! In my estimation, your taping class lectures evinces that you are a dedicated student that cares about your education. Not only do I think it was a good thing that you taped class lectures, I for one wouldn't discourage you from continuing to do it in the future in any class if you think it could increase your likelihood of getting a better grade.

Keep up the good work and I fully support you and your dad.

Aaron

Washington State

Guest Shannon

Way to go, Matt. I just read the article in the NYT about your situation and I'm so happy that someone is willing to stand up to someone like that. Your teacher was completely out of line and anyone who sides with him needs to really reconsider. I hope things get easier for you, but even if they don't just know you did the right thing.

Guest Branan Whitehead

This message is for Matthew LeClair.

I read about your difficulties is the Village Voice this week. You, young man, are a true hero. It takes a great deal of courage to stand up and say that what everyone else thinks is OK is actually wrong. It results in the worst kind of criticism and ostracism imaginable. It can be a very lonely feeling.

But you are not alone, as I hope you are discovering. I hope more and more people who think like you do are sending messages of support.

In the meantime, I would like to recommend two books to you. You may already have read them, but if you haven't I definitely recommend picking them up. They are: The End of Faith and Letter to a Christian Nation by Sam Harris.

As I said before, YOU are right. Those who would march us backward to a time when "nonbelievers" were shunned, spat upon and even stoned are wrong.

Courage. You'll be out of high school soon. Trust me; it gets a lot easier.

Sincerely,

Branan Whitehead

NYC

Guest AHopefulStranger

Matthew, I know that you are aware that you did the right thing.

We live in a democracy, not a THEocracy, not yet at least.

You've given me hope that there are others out there that are willing to fight the good fight as I am. Thank you for your courage and I hope all that's happened will not get you down.

You got it wrong it should be "Way to go Paul". Matt is just the puppet

Way to go, Matt. I just read the article in the NYT about your situation and I'm so happy that someone is willing to stand up to someone like that. Your teacher was completely out of line and anyone who sides with him needs to really reconsider. I hope things get easier for you, but even if they don't just know you did the right thing.

You got it wrong it should be "Way to go Paul".  Matt is just the puppet

What you mean to say is that you don't like that he doesn't agree with you. I've heard him interviewed on the radio. He's no one's puppet. He has more conviction in his little finger on his left hand than you have in your entire mind, and I'm being generous to you.