A message of support for Matthew LaClair

Guest S

I guess everyone else lies.

Every post that does not defend Mat and Paul is false. 

Only Matt and Paul tells the truth. NOT!!!!

Paul you are going to be exposed for whom you really are. An opportunist!

op·por·tun·ist      One who takes advantage of any opportunity to achieve an end, often with no regard for principles or consequences.

Would you prefer that I tell you my daughter was in Paszkiewicz's class? She wasn't. Apparently Paszkiewicz's apologists don't have anything substantive to say, so they choose to attack Matthew and me, and now let's bring my daughter into it too. Shame on you.

• Replies 630
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

op·por·tun·ist      One who takes advantage of any opportunity to achieve an end, often with no regard for principles or consequences.

Oh, and another thing. If we're going to discuss principles, perhaps you can explaining how attacking us with accusations that have absolutely no basis in fact has anything to do with the issues at hand.

A teacher said certain things in class. They're recorded for all to hear. If he had done nothing wrong, you'd laugh at us and that would be the end of it. No newspaper, radio or TV station would have covered it. But because he did plenty wrong, you need a scapegoat. You're desperate for a scapegoat, because your guy fried himself, and people all over the world are calling him a fool, and worse.

You don't have anyone who actually did anything wrong on our side, so you escalate the attacks to compensate. You make it up. I must be in it for a payday, Matthew just wants attention, oh, and my daughter took Paszkiewicz's class too. Even if any of that was true, which it isn't, it wouldn't diminish Paszkiewicz's or the administration's responsibilities by one iota --- except in the fantasy world you seem to live in. Typical response of the authoritarian personality: if you have nothing real to go on, you make up more and more. In the end, nothing matters except what you want --- not what's true, but what you wish was true. It's all about what you want, the facts don't matter.

The abysmal quality and almost complete abandonment of logic and reason is a nightmare, and a profound threat to our democratic heritage.

Guest Keith-Marshall,Mo
Oh, and another thing. If we're going to discuss principles, perhaps you can explaining how attacking us with accusations that have absolutely no basis in fact has anything to do with the issues at hand.

A teacher said certain things in class. They're recorded for all to hear. If he had done nothing wrong, you'd laugh at us and that would be the end of it. No newspaper, radio or TV station would have covered it. But because he did plenty wrong, you need a scapegoat. You're desperate for a scapegoat, because your guy fried himself, and people all over the world are calling him a fool, and worse.

You don't have anyone who actually did anything wrong on our side, so you escalate the attacks to compensate. You make it up. I must be in it for a payday, Matthew just wants attention, oh, and my daughter took Paszkiewicz's class too. Even if any of that was true, which it isn't, it wouldn't diminish Paszkiewicz's or the administration's responsibilities by one iota --- except in the fantasy world you seem to live in. Typical response of the authoritarian personality: if you have nothing real to go on, you make up more and more. In the end, nothing matters except what you want --- not what's true, but what you wish was true. It's all about what you want, the facts don't matter.

The abysmal quality and almost complete abandonment of logic and reason is a nightmare, and a profound threat to our democratic heritage.

Well said....

First let me say that I dont ignore Matt or anything being I am not in the Kearny High School, though I did attend elementary and middle school with him. Second preaching may be illegal in a public school, but being a teacher requires you to draw on previous experiences such as another job. My old science teacher used to talk about his older brother and how going into business for yourself is great, should I get angry because I wasn't learning something on science? Grant it that it is not illegal to disscus that but why should I learn that instead of what my parents tax dollars are paying for?

Also did he hurt anyone with his statements? Sure what he did was wrong and illegal, but did he force anyone to convert? Did any student, besides Matt LaClair, get offended by this teachers statements? Or did it turn out that, like most discussions in the class room, the kids just disregard whatever they dont believe is going to be on the test?

Also I have not heard Mr. LaClair concur or disagree with the statement that Matt LaClair had his schedule changed to be in that class. Could you please tell us whether this statement is true or false? And if it's true, could you explain why this change had taken place?

Someone is getting angry, I wonder why. Maybe because he was caught lying...

I do not find it acceptable to preach religion in public schools, however this teacher has done more good than harm during the many years he has been teaching.  This whole thing has been blown way out of proportion.  The town of Kearny supports the teacher not because we are all religious freaks from a small town who don't know any better, but because as a whole, he is a good teacher. 

A good teacher who preaches and lies about it? Interesting definition of "good."

If he were seriously offending anyone other than Matthew, the issue would have been raised long ago.

For the 900th time, this isn't about being "offended." It's about defending our Constitutional freedoms from governmental promotion and endorsement of religion in our public schools.

We are all wrong and this one boy is right????  Come on now...think about it.

Right and wrong aren't determined by majority vote. That's why we have guaranteed freedoms in the Bill of Rights.

And by the way....WAKE UP BLEEDING HEARTS....THERE IS A WAR GOING ON IN IRAQ....our boys are dying everyday...try directing some of your energy towards fighting to bring them home.  Stop wasting time on "small town matters"

"Small town matters" such as protecting the very Constitution our soldiers are supposedly dying to defend. Should we do less?

Dad and Lad are very busy, basking in the limelight of that left-wing rag, The NY Times.  They are on the secularist news tour, being compared to Joan of Ark or Patrick Henry. I think he's going to granted sainthood by the pope, (ooops, scratch that....) and certainly be elected Mayor or even Senator. Rumors that they are enjoying their time in the sun (that's a sun that evolved through natural selection, not intelligent design) and both hope it never ends.

I think he will accept the sainthood by the pope. They may even start to believe in God if this in some way benifits them. Elected Mayor? Only if they move out of Kearny...

I think he will accept the sainthood by the pope. They may even start to believe in God if this in some way benifits them. Elected Mayor? Only if they move out of Kearny...

Elected Mayor. Didn't you read his prior posts, he praised Mayor Santos. What is Mayor Santos' position on this issue? Is he for or against discipline for the teacher.

Paul, I am embarassed to say I live in Kearny. This board shows that most of the local folks simply do not grasp the concept set forth in the Establishment Clause (separation of church and state). That is sad. It is similar to issues previously raised at council meetings by others who have left Kearny. Along with this issue there is the issue of security at the Kuehne plant. Our Mayor and council did little about that issue. It reminds me of this issue. Instead of doing the right thing, let's ignore it until the complainers go away.

It certainly does have everything to do with the issue at hand.

Did you accuse a man of lying? Of preaching? Of forcing his believes?

Aren't doing the same thing?

[COLOR=blue]A teacher said certain things in class. They're recorded for all to hear. If he had done nothing wrong, you'd laugh at us and that would be the end of it. No newspaper, radio or TV station would have covered it. But because he did plenty wrong, you need a scapegoat. You're desperate for a scapegoat, because your guy fried himself, and people all over the world are calling him a fool, and worse.

Your son provoked.

We will see who is going to have the last laugh. Judgment Day will come. And you and your foolish friends are going to answer to a greater judge than the ones sitting in court. And His justice is JUST.

You don't have anyone who actually did anything wrong on our side, so you escalate the attacks to compensate.

Like I said before, who made you the judge of what is wrong and right? If something was said that you do agree with that doesn't make it wrong.

You make it up. I must be in it for a payday, Matthew just wants attention, oh, and my daughter took Paszkiewicz's class too. Even if any of that was true, which it isn't, it wouldn't diminish Paszkiewicz's or the administration's responsibilities by one iota --- except in the fantasy world you seem to live in.

Typical response of the authoritarian personality: if you have nothing real to go on, you make up more and more. In the end, nothing matters except what you want --- not what's true, but what you wish was true. It's all about what you want, the facts don't matter.

You and your son are doing all the talking. Newspapers, radios and God knows what else. How am I making things up? In fact I was not the one that wrote about your son change schedule to be in Mr. P's class or your daughter been in his class.

But you seem to become very angry. Is there any truth to it?

I have watched and listened to this topic for over the past two months. Also attended the Kearny town meeting to listen to his egotistical father get up and rant and try to make a name for himself.  What you read in the paper is one side of the story. This Matt LaClair is the same individual who when told that he couldn't wear shorts to class came in to school the next day wearing a "skirt".

Oh, so you mean they were letting the girls wear skirts but not the guys wear shorts? So he came in with a skirt when he was not allowed to wear shorts? That is brilliant. :lol:

Free speech in important in this world and everyone who reads this blog

Why does everyone keep calling this a blog? Guys, this is a forum.

should really pay close attention as to who is setting the tone of religion for this particular section of the class. It wasn't the teacher.

LOL, okay, so try and blame a student for the stuff the teacher was saying. No, it's pretty obvious in the recordings that he went on and on of his own volition, where if you were correct, he could have easily nipped it in the bud and be responsible enough to stop at the point where he would start unleashing his dogma on the class and talking about who will or won't suffer for eternity based on their beliefs.

What you are condoning is that every student should attempt to get their teacher to admit to something whether correct or incorrect

Uh, what? Name me an example of Matthew trying to get anyone to admit they are wrong when they aren't. Sorry, this is a straw man. He was trying pretty hard to get the teacher to admit to his _obvious_ wrong, but he just wouldn't do it. So Matthew set out to acquire indisputable proof. It was a good move.

and then record them so that they can later be prosecuted at a later date without even a trail. Its only a matter of time before Matthew starts actually videoing his twisted web on any subject and getting it on Youtube.com.

What are you babbling about? I'd call it a slippery slope fallacy, but it actually doesn't seem to be leading anywhere.

If you think he is a hero, and giving you hope then you are nothing more that a sheep being led by a wolf.  And you know just where he will lead you.

It's hilarious and depressing all at once that you seem not to care at all about exactly what Matthew LaClair caught his teacher doing, and proved that he was doing.

"In my opinion," as Matthew LaClair always like to say is, what the father of this student is attempting is for the Kearny Board of Education or New Jersey Public School System to pay for Matt LaClair to be sent to Private education because his son is no longer safe.

Good thing you made it clear that was your own opinion, or else this would likely be met with a (bigger) storm of laughter. Come on, now--no one has even come close to suggesting anything resembling this.

And His lawyer father will want one of those two to pay for it.

Suuuuure he will. <_<

I am sure this is not the end of this. And yet it was Matt or his father who chose to illegally tape and publicly distribute the conversation.

It has already been pretty strongly established that there was nothing illegal about Matthew's recordings. A public school classroom is not a private conversation in the least. Duh.

What about the rights of the other students on that tape who where recorded illegally.

They were not recorded illegally. Learn some law before you make more such ridiculous statements about what is and isn't illegal.

Judge for yourself and do not be a sheep.

I did, which is exactly why it's so painfully obvious who's in the wrong here. Matthew deserves to be commended for not backing down and getting the evidence he needed.

He will lead you as he did this teacher over the edge of the cliff.

Yeah, okay. :P

Stop look and listen to the tape.

From the way you talk, it really sounds like you haven't.

Be proud of your school, Kearny High School or wherever you attend school, instead of trying to bring it down.

Damn right, I'm proud. Class of '02, right here. Which is why I'll be damned if I'm just going to sit by and see that teacher just get away with ridiculously obvious proselytizing. Something needs to be done--we haven't even gotten as little as a "sorry, it won't happen again!" That's insulting, quite frankly.

Teaching is not easy and no one is ever 100% correct.

Please--Mr. P.'s actions went _way_ past the line of 'innocent mistake,' okay? And on top of that, in the absence of any apology, it seems he _still_ won't admit to having done anything wrong. So don't even try that line, okay?

But they do try and need to be commended.

Not when they preach on school time, they don't.

I have spoken with a good amount of students and heard some of their comments and this should never have been taped in the first place.

So that he could go on preaching without anything being done about it? I'd bet that's what you wish were the case.

Taping is against school policy.

<_< That's a lie! Plain and simple. :lol:

LITTLE KNOW MATTHEW LACLAIR FACT:

MATT LACLAIR REQUESTED TO HAVE HIS SCHEDULE CHANGED TO GET INTO THIS CLASS IN THE FIRST PLACE. HE NEVER DID SAY THIS FACT DID HE.

Uh, that's 100% irrelevant. The all caps seem to suggest you think this is a huge revelation that changes everything. It changes nothing.

He never mentioned this or the fact that his sister also had this teacher and there was never an altercation when she was his student.

Also irrelevant. Even if he never did this sort of thing before (and even students defending him have stated that it's been going on for years), he was doing it presently, and that merits _actual_ disciplinary action, at least.

She is now a freshman in Drew University which is a liberal college so why then Matthew. He is trouble, not your hope.

THINK ABOUT THAT before saving he is giving you all hope.

...huh? What are you going on about? What does his sister's college _type_ have to do with anything?

I have said about enough for now. There is more but enough for now.
(fixed your size tag)

Okay. <_<

Elected Mayor.  Didn't you read his prior posts, he praised Mayor Santos.  What is Mayor Santos' position on this issue?  Is he for or against discipline for the teacher.

Paul, I am embarassed to say I live in Kearny.  This board shows that most of the local folks simply do not grasp the concept set forth in the Establishment Clause (separation of church and state). That is sad. It is similar to issues previously raised at council meetings by others who have left Kearny.  Along with this issue there is the issue of security at the Kuehne plant.  Our Mayor and council did little about that issue.  It reminds me of this issue.  Instead of doing the right thing, let's ignore it until the complainers go away.

Then move out of Kearny!

Elected Mayor.  Didn't you read his prior posts, he praised Mayor Santos.  What is Mayor Santos' position on this issue?  Is he for or against discipline for the teacher.

Paul, I am embarassed to say I live in Kearny.  This board shows that most of the local folks simply do not grasp the concept set forth in the Establishment Clause (separation of church and state). That is sad. It is similar to issues previously raised at council meetings by others who have left Kearny.  Along with this issue there is the issue of security at the Kuehne plant.  Our Mayor and council did little about that issue.  It reminds me of this issue.  Instead of doing the right thing, let's ignore it until the complainers go away.

I think you are the one who needs to read the previous post. I wasn't refering to mayor Santos. Since you mentioned the mayor, what do you expect the mayor to do? Fire the teacher? hahahahah! I don't agree with "instead of doing the right thing, let's ignore it until the complainers go away." however, it would be great if the "complainers go away."

ouch again!

Guest Matt Cormier, D.O.

Great job Matt! Stay strong and keep fighting for this cause. If you're not already aware, try the Freedom From Religion Foudation at www.ffrf.org for support in your cause.

Keep up good work..

First let me say that I dont ignore Matt or anything being I am not in the Kearny High School, though I did attend elementary and middle school with him. Second preaching may be illegal in a public school, but being a teacher requires you to draw on previous experiences such as another job. My old science teacher used to talk about his older brother and how going into business for yourself is great, should I get angry because I wasn't learning something on science? Grant it that it is not illegal to disscus that but why should I learn that instead of what my parents tax dollars are paying for?

Also did he hurt anyone with his statements? Sure what he did was wrong and illegal, but did he force anyone to convert? Did any student, besides Matt LaClair, get offended by this teachers statements? Or did it turn out that, like most discussions in the class room, the kids just disregard whatever they dont believe is going to be on the test?

Also I have not heard Mr. LaClair concur or disagree with the statement that Matt LaClair had his schedule changed to be in that class. Could you please tell us whether this statement is true or false? And if it's true, could you explain why this change had taken place?

Separation of church and state is an important principle, which obviously someone had to defend, finally. Whether Matthew was hurt personally is not the issue. We have received correspondence from others who were hurt, and moreover the system was hurt. If everyone ignores inappropriate conduct, that conduct will continue until it is accepted, which is exactly what was happening here --- so then what is the point of having laws or a Constitution? You can't acknowledge the illegality of the act, then complain that someone saw to it that it was enforced.

Matthew did not have his schedule changed to be in Paszkiewicz's class. He was assigned there just like everyone else.

Guest XaurreauX

Here's the problem: secularism is for adults. Those who lack the maturity and class necessary to understand and/or accept the principles underlying the Establishment Clause desperately need the government to reinforce their religion. Pathetic.

I have watched and listened to this topic for over the past two months. Also attended the Kearny town meeting to listen to his egotistical father get up and rant and try to make a name for himself.  What you read in the paper is one side of the story. This Matt LaClair is the same individual who when told that he couldn't wear shorts to class came in to school the next day wearing a "skirt".  Free speech in important in this world and everyone who reads this blog should really pay close attention as to who is setting the tone of religion for this particular section of the class. It wasn't the teacher. What you are condoning is that every student should attempt to get their teacher to admit to something whether correct or incorrect and then record them so that they can later be prosecuted at a later date without even a trail. Its only a matter of time before Matthew starts actually videoing his twisted web on any subject and getting it on Youtube.com. If you think he is a hero, and giving you hope then you are nothing more that a sheep being led by a wolf.  And you know just where he will lead you.

"In my opinion," as Matthew LaClair always like to say is, what the father of this student is attempting is for the Kearny Board of Education or New Jersey Public School System to pay for Matt LaClair to be sent to Private education because his son is no longer safe.  And His lawyer father will want one of those two to pay for it. I am sure this is not the end of this. And yet it was Matt or his father who chose to illegally tape and publicly distribute the conversation.  What about the rights of the other students on that tape who where recorded illegally.

Judge for yourself and do not be a sheep. He will lead you as he did this teacher over the edge of the cliff.

Stop look and listen to the tape. Be proud of your school, Kearny High School or wherever you attend school, instead of trying to bring it down. Teaching is not easy and no one is ever 100% correct. But they do try and need to be commended. I have spoken with a good amount of students and heard some of their comments and this should never have been taped in the first place. Taping is against school policy.

LITTLE KNOW MATTHEW LACLAIR FACT:

MATT LACLAIR REQUESTED TO HAVE HIS SCHEDULE CHANGED TO GET INTO THIS CLASS IN THE FIRST PLACE. HE NEVER DID SAY THIS FACT DID HE.

He never mentioned this or the fact that his sister also had this teacher and there was never an altercation when she was his student. She is now a freshman in Drew University which is a liberal college so why then Matthew. He is trouble, not your hope.

THINK ABOUT THAT before saving he is giving you all hope.

I have said about enough for now. There is more but enough for now.

I am providing the First Amendment below for people like you who obviously haven't read it in a while:

"Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the government for a redress of grievances."

As far as understanding it, I guess that is too much to ask. People like you have no problem trampling other people's rights and marginalizing them because they are in the minority, but when it's you that is in that position you bleat like sheep. Want an example? The so-called War on Christmas. When someone dares to say "Happy Holidays" to you instead of the required acknowledgement of your religion you just about pee your pants over the slight. But when a teacher violates the constitutional rights of kids in a classroom by proselytizing to them on taxpayer dime and then LIES about it, you could care less about religious liberty and the constitution. You pass it off as not hurting the kids and calling the plaintiffs "loony". Talk about a good reason to have a first amendment, you are it.

If one wants to understand the intent of the authors of the First Amendment, one may look to one of the original authors, James Madison, who wrote:

''The civil rights of none shall be abridged on account of religious belief or worship, nor shall any national religion be established, nor shall the full and equal rights of conscience be in any manner, or on any pretence, infringed.''

By those definitions the rights of every student in that teacher's classroom were infringed. Do a little soul searching and think about how you would feel if you were in his situation and some teacher was telling you you would belong in hell because of your religion.

Dave Thompson

This is exactly the problem, pointed out time and time again, and you just don't see it. This is precisely the problem with a culturally dominant religion forcing its way into a position of dominance in government at any level, including the public schools.

By "this," Paul presumably means a coercion of conscience.

Put the shoe on the other foot.

Okay.

Imagine this was a Muslim teacher telling your mostly Christian kids they belong in hell if they don't reject the false prophet Jesus and convert to Islam.

How is that putting the shoe on the other foot?

That's just showing how to take somebody's words out of context.

Now, if the Muslim teacher were illustrating Islam's solution to the problem of evil in the world, then his words might be understandable in a public school context (I say "might" because Islam finds god largely inscrutable, so they may not care about the problem of evil that much).

http://www.sophia-perennis.com/evil.pdf

Anyone whose conscience is coerced by hearing an alternative point of view is hypersensitive.

Be honest, now. Would you still not be offended? Would the teacher have lasted? Be honest.

Honestly, I wouldn't be offended, the teacher would have stayed, and I would not have bothered exploring legal action. Even if I were 14 years old and my daddy was a Baptist preacher who practiced law on the side.

Separation of church and state is an important principle, which obviously someone had to defend, finally. Whether Matthew was hurt personally is not the issue. We have received correspondence from others who were hurt, and moreover the system was hurt. If everyone ignores inappropriate conduct, that conduct will continue until it is accepted, which is exactly what was happening here --- so then what is the point of having laws or a Constitution? You can't acknowledge the illegality of the act, then complain that someone saw to it that it was enforced.

Matthew did not have his schedule changed to be in Paszkiewicz's class. He was assigned there just like everyone else.

The system is hurting already in so many different places. As someone else in this thread said, if we want to talk about a hurt system there are much larger objects of attention, even in the area of education. If other people were hurt by what this teacher had to say, then why is it that Matt seems alone in this? If you have recieved correspondence with these hurt people, then why dont they take a stand with Matt?

Also I would like to add that a lot of people should be careful about what they read in the papers and see on the news, because my cousin did an interview for the news upon this subject and the only thing they used was the one negative thing he said. Not that anyone doesn't know that the media twists things, Im just stating this cause I saw a couple of posts regarding the paper and news reports.

Also, if Matt were in a history class in College and the teacher preached like this would he go to the papers? It is my understanding that in college you are treated like an adult, and are expected to hear things you disagree with. In the real world if someone preaches somewhere they shouldn't dont you just walk away?

I would also like to know whether this teacher has done this sort of thing before or whether it is a first time?

First let me say that I dont ignore Matt or anything being I am not in the Kearny High School, though I did attend elementary and middle school with him. Second preaching may be illegal in a public school, but being a teacher requires you to draw on previous experiences such as another job.

One's personal religious beliefs hardly qualify as 'previous experience' in a professional context, I dare say.

My old science teacher used to talk about his older brother and how going into business for yourself is great, should I get angry because I wasn't learning something on science?

Unless there was ample time for teaching everything in the curriculum, I _would_ get annoyed if my teacher went off on unrelated tangents on a regular basis, regardless of the off-topic subject, and for good reason, I think. The issue at hand is just so much worse because it wasn't once, it wasn't brief/isolated, and it wasn't simple off-topic chatter--it was unconstitutional preaching.

Grant it that it is not illegal to disscus that but why should I learn that instead of what my parents tax dollars are paying for?

It's a fair point.

The fact of the matter is that it is irrelevant. If a Christian is preaching in a public school classroom where 100% of the students therein are also Christian and agree with everything he says and have issue with none of what he says, it is _still_ unconstitutional, and _still_ should not be tolerated at all. The separation of church and state _mandates_ that governmental institutions remain religiously neutral.

Out of curiosity, I'd want to know too, but in the context of the issue, it really makes no difference.

I had a feeling--these people are stooping pretty low to just invent things now to try and incriminate Matthew with (even though they are such pitiful attempts that even if they were true, they wouldn't hurt Matthew's 'case' in the least). Truly pathetic. :P