Mayor' BOE Ticket

Guest Guest

Guest No Accountability

Looked up some of those "public records" you were squawking about. the boe put the money for the purchase of the building and the $$ to reno space at franklin into classrooms in the 09-10 budget & that budget was approved by the taxpayers of this town in April of 2009. Since DiGesere didn't get appointed until June of 2009, looks like he had nothing to do with the plans to buy it. And who says you can't put classrooms in the building? Got some inside information you care to share?

Total wasted tax dollars by Doran, MacDonald, Schalago who approved the purchase and the money to renovate the building. Lindenfelser let the BOE buy the building "AS IS", are you nuts. Now almost 3 years later and almost 2 million in the hole, no usable building, Great job Doran who wants 3 more years to waste more taxpayers dollars. Talk about a shady purchase, why was it approved by vote the night before the BOE elections? Why did the BOE attorney (Lindenfelser) allow his client to purchase a million dollar building "AS IS" ? Why was the BOE architect given almost $300,000.00 to draw plans for this building? Why did the BOE members Doran, MacDonald and Schalago totally disregard an Environmental Consultants advice to further explore the four underground fuel tanks on the property before purchasing the property? Why did these same BOE members disregard an appraiser report stating the value of the property was not valued at what the BOE was paying for it, and the appraiser the BOE used had an EXPIRED license? Taxpayers MUST realize that these members are NOT fit for service. If you do not get rid of these people you might at well flush your hard earned dollars down your own toilet. Now, before some knucklehead writes what about Castelli, I will answer that now, Paul Castelli has never voted YES for any dollars to be spent on that building, $0.00, and also voted NO for the purchase of the building.

Guest Calling You Out Again

YOU said this is Digesere's baby. WRONG. He didn't become superintendent in 2009. He came back to Kearny as superintendent in November, 2010. YOU say a lot of things but you can't back any of it up. So yeah, I'M LAUGHING. At fools like you who believe anything they're told without fact checking.

Deal with the facts. DiGesere came back in 2009. Here are the Board minutes.

Special Meeting

August 11, 2009

5:35 P.M.

A Special Meeting of the Kearny Board of Education was held in the Board Room, 100 Davis Avenue, on the evening of the above date.

….

The following resolution was moved by Mr. Doffont and seconded by Mrs. Schalago:

APPROVAL OF EMPLOYMENT CONTRACT BETWEEN THE BOARD OF EDUCATION OF THE TOWN OF KEARNY AND FRANK DIGESERE, SUPERINTENDENT OF SCHOOLS

The employment contract between the Kearny Board of Education and Frank Digesere, Superintendent of Schools, for a four-year period, retroactive to July 1, 2009 and concluding on June 30, 2013 with all the terms and conditions contained therein, is hereby approved.

Prior to casting a vote, Mr. Campbell stated for the record his objections: The contract term of four years; the 1% merit increase at year end to be awarded at the discretion of the Board; and, the lack of a provision stipulating an independent physician for Mr. Digesere’s physical examination.

ROLL CALL VOTE

Mr. Campbell, “no”, Mr. Castelli, “I agree with everything Mr. Campbell said and also object to the addition of 3 vacation days; No”, Mr. Doffont, “aye”, Mr. Doran, “aye”, Mrs. Schalago, “aye”, Mr. Sgalia, “aye”, Mr. Stevenson, “aye”, Mrs. Santos, “aye”, President Mc Donald, “aye”.

There being seven votes in the affirmative and two votes in the negative, the motion was carried.

Deal with the facts. DiGesere came back in 2009. Here are the Board minutes.

Special Meeting

August 11, 2009

5:35 P.M.

A Special Meeting of the Kearny Board of Education was held in the Board Room, 100 Davis Avenue, on the evening of the above date.

….

The following resolution was moved by Mr. Doffont and seconded by Mrs. Schalago:

APPROVAL OF EMPLOYMENT CONTRACT BETWEEN THE BOARD OF EDUCATION OF THE TOWN OF KEARNY AND FRANK DIGESERE, SUPERINTENDENT OF SCHOOLS

The employment contract between the Kearny Board of Education and Frank Digesere, Superintendent of Schools, for a four-year period, retroactive to July 1, 2009 and concluding on June 30, 2013 with all the terms and conditions contained therein, is hereby approved.

Prior to casting a vote, Mr. Campbell stated for the record his objections: The contract term of four years; the 1% merit increase at year end to be awarded at the discretion of the Board; and, the lack of a provision stipulating an independent physician for Mr. Digesere’s physical examination.

ROLL CALL VOTE

Mr. Campbell, “no”, Mr. Castelli, “I agree with everything Mr. Campbell said and also object to the addition of 3 vacation days; No”, Mr. Doffont, “aye”, Mr. Doran, “aye”, Mrs. Schalago, “aye”, Mr. Sgalia, “aye”, Mr. Stevenson, “aye”, Mrs. Santos, “aye”, President Mc Donald, “aye”.

There being seven votes in the affirmative and two votes in the negative, the motion was carried.

You're right, DiGesere was Superintendent in 2009 came into the school district in November of 2009. But, it doesn't change the fact that the money for the purchase and renovations to the building was allocated in the budget proposed for the 09-10 school year, voted on in April 2009 and approved by the voters. And that was before DiGesere was even on the scene. MOONEY'S BABY, MOONEY'S BABY, MOONEY'S BABY.

Wanna keep going?

If you want to contain cost, you may want to consider voting for Daniel Esteves. He wants to improve our failing school system and at the same time contain tax.

If you want to contain cost, you may want to consider voting for Daniel Esteves. He wants to improve our failing school system and at the same time contain tax.

Are you for real. With you being Mayor Santos' nephew, why would I want you involved in the school district. He can't control spending on the municipal side of our taxes and you think we want him controlling the board of ed. Besides that for 2 straight years the BOE has not raised our taxes. Maybe your uncle should take notes from them. But then again I am sure you are only running because he can no longer higher people thru the town. The board would give him the oppurtunity to place his people there. Get lost, you losers.

Guest Seek Help Now

You're right, DiGesere was Superintendent in 2009 came into the school district in November of 2009. But, it doesn't change the fact that the money for the purchase and renovations to the building was allocated in the budget proposed for the 09-10 school year, voted on in April 2009 and approved by the voters. And that was before DiGesere was even on the scene. MOONEY'S BABY, MOONEY'S BABY, MOONEY'S BABY.

Wanna keep going?

Desperate, desperate, desperate.

Who signed the closing documents for the Kearny School District. Last name begins with D and ends with E and has iGeser in between.

Guest Saddened and Upset

Are you for real. With you being Mayor Santos' nephew, why would I want you involved in the school district. He can't control spending on the municipal side of our taxes and you think we want him controlling the board of ed. Besides that for 2 straight years the BOE has not raised our taxes. Maybe your uncle should take notes from them. But then again I am sure you are only running because he can no longer higher people thru the town. The board would give him the oppurtunity to place his people there. Get lost, you losers.

My school tax bill went up the last two years.

The current Board of Ed members have given us NO Superintendent, NO Asst. Superintendent, NO High School Principal and a long list of patronage hires. Test scores getting worse according to the acting Superintendent who wants out ASAP. All incumbents should be embarrassed.

It's so bad, it's time to give a close look at those candidates for Board of Education who have not been part of the problem.

Guest Get over it

Desperate, desperate, desperate.

Who signed the closing documents for the Kearny School District. Last name begins with D and ends with E and has iGeser in between.

The Board had already approved the purchase before DIGESERE came along. His name on closing documents are a formality, since a superintendent does not get a vote at the table. Seems to me there are far greater problems to be pondering where the BOE is concerned, and not everyone believes that the purchase of that building is a mistake. You do, that's obvious, but I'm sure you have other axes to grind so why don't you give it a rest. It's done. Live with it.

Guest Wait and See

My school tax bill went up the last two years.

The current Board of Ed members have given us NO Superintendent, NO Asst. Superintendent, NO High School Principal and a long list of patronage hires. Test scores getting worse according to the acting Superintendent who wants out ASAP. All incumbents should be embarrassed.

It's so bad, it's time to give a close look at those candidates for Board of Education who have not been part of the problem.

Obviously you did not live in Kearny the last 2 years. $0.00 dollars and 0% tax increase on the school board side of taxes for 2 years straight. No staff cuts, no program cuts. The Town should try to be more like the BOE, but than voters would have to get rid of those puppets as well.

A top ranked, highly desired Interim Super, since Mr. D retired and actively searching for a permanant super. Searches ongoing for Asst. Super and HS Prin.

Not a single "patronage" job awarded in the last year, except for the few the Full of $hit Four managed to slip by.

Test scores have been in the tank for years now, due to poor leadership and poor educational decisions by prior administrators, thus the changes over the last year. Programs now in place by current Super and BOE which will improve test scores and student achievement by giving staff and students the RIGHT and PROPER tools for the best education possible.

Guest It is a total disaster

The Board had already approved the purchase before DIGESERE came along. His name on closing documents are a formality, since a superintendent does not get a vote at the table. Seems to me there are far greater problems to be pondering where the BOE is concerned, and not everyone believes that the purchase of that building is a mistake. You do, that's obvious, but I'm sure you have other axes to grind so why don't you give it a rest. It's done. Live with it.

Do you want me to pull the minutes from 2010 to show you when authorization was given to do the closing? Wouldn't you have learned by now, you were wrong on the price of this White Elephant building and you were wrong on when DiGesere was appointed Superintendent (it was 2009). The transaction was initiated under Mooney. But it was COMPLETED and CLOSED under DiGESERE as SUPERINTENDENT. He could have stopped it but did not. It's obvious what's going on. This is a disaster that taints (at best and, at worst, more serious complications) your dreamboat DiGesere. The purchase price was way too high. The school district assumed the clean up liability WITHOUT deducting it from the purchase price (wait till that bill comes in). And the building can NOT be used for class rooms without major renovations because of its current configuration. If I were an absolute devotee of DiGesere who fawned over his every action and move, then I'd see how you'd claim he had nothing to do with this. Problem with your position is that it's fictional. The facts don't lie.

Guest Pathetic

Obviously you did not live in Kearny the last 2 years. $0.00 dollars and 0% tax increase on the school board side of taxes for 2 years straight. No staff cuts, no program cuts. The Town should try to be more like the BOE, but than voters would have to get rid of those puppets as well.

A top ranked, highly desired Interim Super, since Mr. D retired and actively searching for a permanant super. Searches ongoing for Asst. Super and HS Prin.

Not a single "patronage" job awarded in the last year, except for the few the Full of $hit Four managed to slip by.

Test scores have been in the tank for years now, due to poor leadership and poor educational decisions by prior administrators, thus the changes over the last year. Programs now in place by current Super and BOE which will improve test scores and student achievement by giving staff and students the RIGHT and PROPER tools for the best education possible.

Ha, " giving staff and students the RIGHT and PROPER tools for the best education possible " what a joke! The staff and students barely have a school not to mention a principal or permanent superintendent who would actually care about what was going on at the high school. Yea " wait and see " a whole group of kids damaged because of a couple of over inflated egos!

Guest Inquiring Minds

Do you want me to pull the minutes from 2010 to show you when authorization was given to do the closing? Wouldn't you have learned by now, you were wrong on the price of this White Elephant building and you were wrong on when DiGesere was appointed Superintendent (it was 2009). The transaction was initiated under Mooney. But it was COMPLETED and CLOSED under DiGESERE as SUPERINTENDENT. He could have stopped it but did not. It's obvious what's going on. This is a disaster that taints (at best and, at worst, more serious complications) your dreamboat DiGesere. The purchase price was way too high. The school district assumed the clean up liability WITHOUT deducting it from the purchase price (wait till that bill comes in). And the building can NOT be used for class rooms without major renovations because of its current configuration. If I were an absolute devotee of DiGesere who fawned over his every action and move, then I'd see how you'd claim he had nothing to do with this. Problem with your position is that it's fictional. The facts don't lie.

You say "It's obvious what's going on". So, what's going on because it isn't obvious to most readers. What exactly are you saying? What the heck is so obvious?

Guest Saddened and Upset

I have lived in Kearny my entire life. Rather than giving me political spin on school taxes, just look at the FACTs. By that I mean go to the school budgets that have to be posted on the school district's web site. Here are the numbers:

2009-10 school year: $43,537,336 school tax levy

2010-11 school year: $46,002,381 school tax levy

2011-12 school year: $46,226,194 school tax levy

: [1] Who was on the Board when it OK'd the KHS project?

[2] Who was on the Board when they OK'd the building purchase on Midland ave?

[3] Was the fab five involved in any of the above actions or projects?

From what I see the entire KHS project is A MESS! and some one should be held accountable and responsible. It's no wonder test scores S**K. How does a child concentrate on lessons with all the dust and noise. It's sad to see how little care is taken for the protection of the children. Why did the BOE buy the building on Midland ave.? [who made money on that deal] Anybody that pays taxes in Kearny should go past the High School and see how your tax dollar is being put to work. And just think of Midland Ave as speculation. Lets just weep for the future.

It is the job of Board members to align all decision making strategies with the goal of students' achievement and success. There is a huge disconnect between the educational reality in our town and the thoughtless policies that do not support our teachers, our administrators, and our students. New blood is needed.

Guest Donald Trump

: [1] Who was on the Board when it OK'd the KHS project?

[2] Who was on the Board when they OK'd the building purchase on Midland ave?

[3] Was the fab five involved in any of the above actions or projects?

From what I see the entire KHS project is A MESS! and some one should be held accountable and responsible. It's no wonder test scores S**K. How does a child concentrate on lessons with all the dust and noise. It's sad to see how little care is taken for the protection of the children. Why did the BOE buy the building on Midland ave.? [who made money on that deal] Anybody that pays taxes in Kearny should go past the High School and see how your tax dollar is being put to work. And just think of Midland Ave as speculation. Lets just weep for the future.

Project is funded by the Port Authority of New York/New Jersey and the State of NJ, Dept. of Education. Not local tax $$$. And in the end, I'm betting it will be $$$ well spent.

Guest Ivanka Better Deal

Project is funded by the Port Authority of New York/New Jersey and the State of NJ, Dept. of Education. Not local tax $$$. And in the end, I'm betting it will be $$$ well spent.

The Midland Avenue White Elephant is NOT paid with Port Authority money!

The Midland Avenue White Elephant is NOT paid with Port Authority money!

You're right, Ivanka. I believe the majority of those costs are provided by the NJ Department of Education. Look it up.

Guest Try Using Facts

You believe wrong. Majority not provided by DOE. This is very big White Elephant.

While you debate whether the Midland Ave purchase was a good idea or a so-called "White Elephant" or even where the funding came from, remember this. It was done to improve the district and centralize the board office. But MOST IMPORTANTLY, it was done to create much needed classroom space at Franklin School. So when the Fab5 put politics first and stalled this project from moving forward, our children have been left in a lurch. The Fab5 have intentionally blocked this project for the last 18 months.

if you're worried about costs, debate this. How much is it going to cost the taxpayers additionally to repair the damage from it sitting vacant for so long or from a lawsuit generated by the contractor for the long delays? The BOE owns the building, move on. Better yet, how do you explain to the Franklin School students why the BOE let them down and put politics ahead of their best interests?

Maybe, just maybe, someone in the Fab5 will see that the only way to better the district is to PUT THE CHILDREN FIRST!!!!!

Guest Cesspool

While you debate whether the Midland Ave purchase was a good idea or a so-called "White Elephant" or even where the funding came from, remember this. It was done to improve the district and centralize the board office. But MOST IMPORTANTLY, it was done to create much needed classroom space at Franklin School. So when the Fab5 put politics first and stalled this project from moving forward, our children have been left in a lurch. The Fab5 have intentionally blocked this project for the last 18 months.

if you're worried about costs, debate this. How much is it going to cost the taxpayers additionally to repair the damage from it sitting vacant for so long or from a lawsuit generated by the contractor for the long delays? The BOE owns the building, move on. Better yet, how do you explain to the Franklin School students why the BOE let them down and put politics ahead of their best interests?

Maybe, just maybe, someone in the Fab5 will see that the only way to better the district is to PUT THE CHILDREN FIRST!!!!!

FACT, nothing to do with the FAB 5

FACT, Environmental Problems, such as (4) underground fuel tanks which leaked into the soil.

FACT, Tanks had to be removed.

FACT, soil had to be remediated.

FACT, the soil had to undergo lab test and monitoring over many , many months.

FACT, Construction Permits for this Cesspool could not be issued until DEP was satisfied with soil reports.

FACT, the additional cost, paid by TAXPAYERS at over $160,000.00 to date.

FACT, BOE members DORAN, MCDONALD, SCHALAGO all approved of purchasing this building (1) day prior to BOE elections 2 years ago even though they had a copy of an Environmental report advising further test of unknown underground fuel tanks.

FACT, BOE attorney LINDENFELSER allowed his client, the BOE, to go ahead with purchase of building AS IS.

FACT, BOE paid $975,000.00 for this building.

So, the FAB 5 had absolutely nothing to do with "holding up" this project, but it sure seems that taxpayers were "held up"

Children have and will always be NUMBER 1 with the FAB 5 and that is proven by the tough decisions they make which no other boards had the brass to do, therefore why people like you take shots at them........no more friends and family programs, no POLITICS and certainly no entitlements!

Guest Flabbergasted

FACT, nothing to do with the FAB 5

FACT, Environmental Problems, such as (4) underground fuel tanks which leaked into the soil.

FACT, Tanks had to be removed.

FACT, soil had to be remediated.

FACT, the soil had to undergo lab test and monitoring over many , many months.

FACT, Construction Permits for this Cesspool could not be issued until DEP was satisfied with soil reports.

FACT, the additional cost, paid by TAXPAYERS at over $160,000.00 to date.

FACT, BOE members DORAN, MCDONALD, SCHALAGO all approved of purchasing this building (1) day prior to BOE elections 2 years ago even though they had a copy of an Environmental report advising further test of unknown underground fuel tanks.

FACT, BOE attorney LINDENFELSER allowed his client, the BOE, to go ahead with purchase of building AS IS.

FACT, BOE paid $975,000.00 for this building.

So, the FAB 5 had absolutely nothing to do with "holding up" this project, but it sure seems that taxpayers were "held up"

Children have and will always be NUMBER 1 with the FAB 5 and that is proven by the tough decisions they make which no other boards had the brass to do, therefore why people like you take shots at them........no more friends and family programs, no POLITICS and certainly no entitlements!

I don't know whether all your FACTS are true, but even giving you the benefit of the doubt, you had me until the last sentence! Children are Number 1 with the Fab 5???? Please, please, please tell me what tough decisions they made that have in any way benefited CHILDREN? Firing the High School principal? Demoting the vice principal? Hanging on to the very non-political interim superintendent? NO POLITICS? You just don't know what's really going on, do you? Someone isn't giving you ALL THE FACTS. No politics! That is toooooo funny.

Guest Ask Staff

I don't know whether all your FACTS are true, but even giving you the benefit of the doubt, you had me until the last sentence! Children are Number 1 with the Fab 5???? Please, please, please tell me what tough decisions they made that have in any way benefited CHILDREN? Firing the High School principal? Demoting the vice principal? Hanging on to the very non-political interim superintendent? NO POLITICS? You just don't know what's really going on, do you? Someone isn't giving you ALL THE FACTS. No politics! That is toooooo funny.

Don't listen to me. Talk to the staff at Franklin and talk to the staff at KHS. And when you talk to the staff at KHS don't talk to the VP's because that wouldn't be fair right?, so don't include them. I think you will be quite surprised at what the people who really know have to say. Than you will understand why the Fab 5 did what they did, again for children and only for children.