KHS Teacher Controversy

Guest Unknown

Guest KHS MOM

It's really sad...this 16 year old practically spits on our "Pledge of Allegiance" while many of our fathers were at war at his age...my 87yr old father is still haunted by what he faced while at war-kill or be killed-so he had no choice but to kill --then he took that young mans wallet out and saw pictures of that 17 year old's family and he was devastated.My dad had to live with that for the past 70 yrs and still breaks up when he speaks of it. Kids today, my 16 year old included, and many adults, I think...don't realize what our fathers and their family, went through for this country.so we could be free...but not free to turn our backs on it....Matt LaClair is free today because of our fathers..and he is free to leave this country if he does not agree with what we stand for!

• Replies 696
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest A young, old-school American
So he is not really free then, is he?

Our fathers and grandfathers fought for exactly the freedom Matt is exercising.

He's not exercising freedom; he's exercising disrespect. Just because one has the right to show poor character doesn't mean one should exercise that right. And, it certainly doesn't mean we should celebrate these despicable displays of a boy trying to grasp his fifteen minutes of fame at the expense of honor.

Guest KHS Mom

Sure he is...he's already free to refuse to stand for the Pledge of Allegiance...he's free to complain that American money states "IN GOD WE TRUST" but he should not be free to secretly tape someone and then use it in the media. I'm not sure but I believe thats against the law. I hope he's feeling very good about himself. From what I hear, he's going to be pretty lonely. The kids at KHS think he is dead wrong.

Sure he is...he's already free to refuse to stand for the Pledge of Allegiance...he's free to complain that American money states "IN GOD WE TRUST"  but he should not be free to secretly tape someone and then use it in the media. I'm not sure but I believe thats against the law. I hope he's feeling very good about himself. From what I hear, he's going to be pretty lonely. The kids at KHS think he is dead wrong.

Now you are presenting a different take on things than your first post.

Guest Jim Lippard
To Jim Lippard: Did you actually listen to the recording? I doubt it. How do you know the teacher "lied?" Where you there? Of course the teacher continues to teach the class. Do you actually think this little punk was going to get him fired? The teacher in question, "if youactually listened to the tape" is sending his children to public school. Poor quality public school education inkearny? I was educated in Kearny and so were my children. We are doctors, lawyers, scientists. if the little punk and his parents feel he's not getting a good education, send him to private school,if they can afford it. I doubt it.

Yes, I listened to the recording. Paszkiewicz rambles on about all manner of things having nothing to do with U.S. History (making numerous erroneous statements), including propounding his religious views, before Matthew LaClair asks any questions. There are multiple blogs which have posted transcripts of some of his idiocy, including mine--it was my blog which broke this story prior to any mainstream media attention. Do a blog search for "David Paszkiewicz transcript"--or listen to the audio online yourself; I've linked to it from my blog.

The teacher should have, at a minimum, been suspended, just like Jay Bennish in Colorado was for a lesser offense.

Paszkiewicz's teaching was perhaps appropriate in a low-quality private religious school. It was too incompetent for a high-quality one.

As for whether he lied--there has been no challenge from the administrators, from Paszkiewicz, or from his union representative to the published claim that he denied making the statements in class until LaClair presented the audio tapes, at which time he asked for his union representative and told LaClair he'd caught the big Christian fish. I see no reason to doubt that published report--there is no evidence against it.

I don't see how anyone can listen to the recording and come to the conclusion that it represents high quality instruction on U.S. History (or even constitutes U.S. History at all).

Guest Arthur Vandelay
The kids at KHS think he is dead wrong.

The kids at KHS, frankly, seem neither very Christian nor very bright--given the closing of ranks around Mr P.

Mr P. himself seems like an unscrupulous coward who tried to abuse the power imbalance inherent in the teacher-student relationship, and was caught out. If he didn't think he was doing the wrong thing by proselytising in his history classroom, he wouldn't have lied about it.

And I'm afraid that, judging by the comments here, some of the good folk of Kearney are displaying the kind of small-minded, redneck parochialism that has given the US such a bad name internationally. Folks, it really doesn't speak very highly of you that you would condemn a teenage boy for speaking the truth, and yet defend a teacher for lying through his teeth--simply because the latter may share your religious convictions.

Yours

AV

The kids at KHS, frankly, seem neither very Christian nor very bright--given the closing of ranks around Mr P.

Mr P. himself seems like an unscrupulous coward who tried to abuse the power imbalance inherent in the teacher-student relationship, and was caught out. If he didn't think he was doing the wrong thing by proselytising in his history classroom, he wouldn't have lied about it.

And I'm afraid that, judging by the comments here, some of the good folk of Kearney are displaying the kind of small-minded, redneck parochialism that has given the US such a bad name internationally. Folks, it really doesn't speak very highly of you that you would condemn a teenage boy for speaking the truth, and yet defend a teacher for lying through his teeth--simply because the latter may share your religious convictions.

Yours

AV

Yeah, Mr. Frankly Bright, it's spelled Kearny.

Yours            <_< WHAT? WHY ARE LOOKING DOWN AT US REDNECKS? yes im a real redneck and proud of my country roots! fyi thats hudson county roots! and im a born again christcenterd jew! and fyi the freedom you live in IS A JUDEO CHRISTAN BASE RULE OF LAWS! not very long ago kids would learn about the bible in kearny schools! and we would pray IN SCHOOL EVERY DAY!!! oh thats right people like you and m/ohare would try to destory the fabric of or country!um did you know her son is a born again too!! if you do not like what he did THE TEACHER then UBL HAS A PLACE FOR YOU! SO GOOD BY DO NOT LET THE DOOR OF THE USA HIT YOU IN THE BUTT :blink:  B)

AV

Yours

AV

don't judge the students of khs by one post which was probably from another teacher. read the various blogs for accounts by former students who claim the same thing leclair is claiming. and remember, this has been going on since september and the administration and boe have done nothing about it. i dont blame leclair for taking the matter into his own hands after he reported the problem and got no response. as for the students being behind the teacher, i seriously doubt it. the blogs show some very strong views by former students. it seems the problem has existed for some time but no one has done anything about it. in kearny it's always only about the poor, poor victimized teacher.

Guest Arthur Vandelay
Yeah, Mr. Frankly Bright, it's spelled Kearny.

That's right: don't make any attempt to engage seriously with my arguments (or those of Jim Lippard). Just highlight spellng errors. (And keep on digging.)

WHAT? WHY ARE LOOKING DOWN AT US REDNECKS? yes im a real redneck and proud of my country roots! fyi thats hudson county roots! and im a born again christcenterd jew! and fyi the freedom you live in IS A JUDEO CHRISTAN BASE RULE OF LAWS! not very long ago kids would learn about the bible in kearny schools! and we would pray IN SCHOOL EVERY DAY!!! oh thats right people like you and m/ohare would try to destory the fabric of or country!um did you know her son is a born again too!! if you do not like what he did THE TEACHER then UBL HAS A PLACE FOR YOU! SO GOOD BY DO NOT LET THE DOOR OF THE USA HIT YOU IN THE BUTT

Allow me to quote a commenter at Lippard's, who happens to be sympathetic to Mr. P:

"Those who grow up in Kearny tend to stay in Kearny, Newark, or Jersey City for the rest of their lives. It's kind of hard to get out of. I consider myself an exception. Their comments are not a surprise to me since I grew up with it and their defensive arguments are based on gut feelings rather than factual knowledge of the constitution or principles of our country. I was lucky enough to find intellectual culture elsewhere, but I'm glad I grew up there. It gave me dirtier upbringing you wouldn't find in a classic New Jersey suburb.

Now, I'm not saying they're right, and I'm not saying that Paszkiewicz was right, but I know how they feel and that they don't know how to express themselves."

Q.E.D. <_<

Guest Arthur Vandelay
don't judge the students of khs by one post which was probably from another teacher. read the various blogs for accounts by former students who claim the same thing leclair is claiming.

What are the URLs of these blogs?--I'd like to hear from them. Stop by my blog if necessary.

Yes, I listened to the recording.  Paszkiewicz rambles on about all manner of things having nothing to do with U.S. History (making numerous erroneous statements), including propounding his religious views, before Matthew LaClair asks any questions.  There are multiple blogs which have posted transcripts of some of his idiocy, including mine--it was my blog which broke this story prior to any mainstream media attention.  Do a blog search for "David Paszkiewicz transcript"--or listen to the audio online yourself; I've linked to it from my blog.

The teacher should have, at a minimum, been suspended, just like Jay Bennish in Colorado was for a lesser offense.

Paszkiewicz's teaching was perhaps appropriate in a low-quality private religious school.  It was too incompetent for a high-quality one.

As for whether he lied--there has been no challenge from the administrators, from Paszkiewicz, or from his union representative to the published claim that he denied making the statements in class until LaClair presented the audio tapes, at which time he asked for his union representative and told LaClair he'd caught the big Christian fish.  I see no reason to doubt that published report--there is no evidence against it.

I don't see how anyone can listen to the recording and come to the conclusion that it represents high quality instruction on U.S. History (or even constitutes U.S. History at all).

What makes Jim Lippard an authority on Kearny Public Schools?

Who is worse? A teacher having an off topic discussion or a sneak making illegal audio tapes without anyone's permission and with questionable motives.

Guest Arthur Vandelay
What makes Jim Lippard an authority on Kearny Public Schools?

Did he claim to be one? How about addressing his points?

Who is worse? A teacher having an off topic discussion or a sneak making illegal audio tapes without anyone's permission and with questionable motives.

A teacher who proselytises in a public school classroom in violation of the separation of church and state. A teacher who pontificates before his students on matters clearly beyond his ken, and definitely outside his subject area. A teacher who abuses his position--and then lies about his transgression. A teacher who, when caught in a lie, does not own his mistake and accept his culpability with dignity--but instead opts to play the burning martyr.

Pathetic. Just pathetic.

Well, if you can't spell the name of the town and school right...............

That's right: don't make any attempt to engage seriously with my arguments (or those of Jim Lippard). Just highlight spellng errors. (And keep on digging.)

Allow me to quote a commenter at Lippard's, who happens to be sympathetic to Mr. P:

"Those who grow up in Kearny tend to stay in Kearny, Newark, or Jersey City for the rest of their lives. It's kind of hard to get out of. I consider myself an exception. Their comments are not a surprise to me since I grew up with it and their defensive arguments are based on gut feelings rather than factual knowledge of the constitution or principles of our country. I was lucky enough to find intellectual culture elsewhere, but I'm glad I grew up there. It gave me dirtier upbringing you wouldn't find in a classic New Jersey suburb.

Now, I'm not saying they're right, and I'm not saying that Paszkiewicz was right, but I know how they feel and that they don't know how to express themselves."

Q.E.D.  :D

That little pole smokers dad is a twicthy B**ch lawyer who encourages this shit. I wish somebody would take that tape player and kick up his greasy ass. He looks like he is 10 years old in person if hes trying to be an actor I would stick to voice overs and radio.

A teacher who proselytises in a public school classroom in violation of the separation of church and state. A teacher who pontificates before his students on matters clearly beyond his ken, and definitely outside his subject area. A teacher who abuses his position--and then lies about his transgression. A teacher who, when caught in a lie, does not own his mistake and accept his culpability with dignity--but instead opts to play the burning martyr.

Pathetic. Just pathetic.

You're so silly. You'd rather have a robot teaching the kids than a person who is willing to give his or her opinion and lead an open discussion, even an off topic one.

Stop acting like this teacher was baptizing kids against their will in his classroom. LaClair had plenty of options, especially since his father is a lawyer. Instead he chose to tape this teacher, without the teacher knowing it, which is probably in violation of the teacher's rights and his contract.

You're talking about dignity?!?! LaClair needs to learn a few lessons about dignity.

Yours

AV

Thank goodness we have Matt LaClair, Jim Lippard, and AV standing up for our children's Constitutional Rights since the kids are "not very bright".

I realize it's hard to be a standout student in such a large high school, but this really is an all time low.

That little pole smokers dad is a twicthy B**ch lawyer who encourages this shit. I wish somebody would take that tape player and kick up his greasy ass. He looks like he is 10 years old in person if hes trying to be an actor I would stick to voice overs and radio.

Yes, that you for that well thought out intelligent argument. I guess that's all I have to say.

Thank goodness we have Matt LaClair, Jim Lippard, and AV standing up for our children's Constitutional Rights since the kids are "not very bright".

yeah...we really need students who want to play "lawyers" to defend ourselves! Give me a break! Matthew LaClair is an idiot and not very bright ,I should say. I feel that a lot of people here have no idea what is going on in Kearny, but give their opinion anyway. Get a life!!! go find something better to do, go listen to the records of the "bright" LaClair again and again and again...maybe you will learn something useful from Mr. Paszkiewicz....Once again, Matthew is an idiot, he needs to grow up and stop trying to get so many attention from people. He wanted to play the hero, but he is not doing a good job! Sorry Matt, try again next year!

Pathetic. Just pathetic.

I'm going to challenge you to EXPLAIN the separation of church and state as defined in the Constiitution.