Debate Challenge

Guest IFC Harrison NJ

Was Doran against the tours on school time? If he was, I fully agree!!!

He gave his 3rd graders tickets so that their parents would vote for him? that is a disgrace Mr. Huaranga also has been telling people that he will give them tickets to the Red Bulls if they vote for him. How do these council people get these tickets, what was the deal with the Red Bulls to open in our town? were the elected officials promised free season tickets for them and their family? How did the deal go? we want to know we pay taxes and rent here in Harrison we should be given an explanation. I don't realy know what goes on but in New York where we previously lived we were able to ask our council representatives what was going on in our district, where we lived, here it is too secretive and no one wants to talk about it, its as if we live in a square mile of some organized corruption ring. We are selling our place now at *** ***, this is a mess down here anyway, false promises here as well.

Edited by KOTW
KOTW Note: The above post was edited for content.

Wow another educated post. Why are they embarrassing? I know, don''t tell me, they speak for the people the true common people, right? or is it because you are threatened by them? or maybe they will listen to people or possibly even get rid of all the unnecessary spending? go ahead you tell me, you certain post as if you are very well rounded and educated...... thanks

They are embarrissing because they have no pride,family values,morales,ethics,etc.Basically low lifes like you.

Guest IFC Harrison NJ

From another topic on the KOTW discussion board, we learned that the incumbents were waiting for a formal written invitation. Please be aware that we have issued such an invitation. Details are available on our website: www.independentsforchangeharrisonnj.org and elsewhere on KOTW.

I've been reading with great interest a lot of the posts concerning the upcoming election, trying to decide who I think would do a better job under the circumstances. Just as an observation, I'm surprised i see no posts from the Democrats (or their supporters) concerning their legislative successes. I hear a lot about the stadium around town, and it's mostly complaints about traffic on game days, and how we're seeing no monies from the Red Bulls. I see Mr. Doran's literature indicates we "expect" to receive 1.3 million in tax revenue...I don't understand; either the Red Bulls owe the taxes to Harrison or they don't, and we know what their tax bill is, or we don't...I was at a Town Council meeting earlier this year and they were discussing the Red Bulls appealing their tax bill...how is that possible at the same time we're expecting 1.3 million according to campaign literature? I see that stalled construction projects are starting up again, but there seems, at least to me, to be already an excess of empty businesses, buildings and homes and, again, not to mention the traffic issues which more construction would seem to just make worse.

So, I'm unclear about what the Democrats would do to either straighten out the fiscal hole we're in, generate more revenue for Harrison or attract new businesses without granting them tax breaks that would in no way benefit Harrison's bottom line.

The Independents do seem to do a lot of complaining, but they seem to have a lot to, if not complain about, at least to question. Mr Doran seems to have consolidated a great deal of power for himself on the Council, as the Superintendent, and sitting on most, if not all important committees in town, including redevelopment, while also maintaining a real estate business that seems to have profited from his various committee assignments. It looks like a pretty clear-cut conflict of interest (as I'd think sitting on the Council while being Superintendent with an appointed School Board would be)...so, the challengers call for a debate so that the voters have an opportunity to hear both sides and their positions along with their plans for the town. I'd really like to here something, anything from the Democrats besides name-calling and threats to homeowners over campaign signs...I never gave campaign signs much thought before, but they seem very important here. I've read the Independents' website and they seem to have some useful, workable ideas, I don't know if they'll all work, or are even possible, but some new thinking seems called for right now. And so, I'd like to hear from both sides in an open forum so I could judge all the candidates for myself.

I have, I must say, been impressed with the Independents' attitude when it comes to answering serious questions. It seems to me the party's positions (at least those I've read on the IFC website) are reasoned and thought out, and even if I don't agree with all of their ideas, I think they're serious about affecting change and trying to make a difficult situation better. As for Mrs. O'Brien, she's been (it seems to me) open and honest about her experience, credentials and professional experience.

I never understand people making snide remarks about teacher's salaries, I guess it's an anti-union thing, but it's a tough and important job, requiring (these days) advanced degrees and ongoing training and certainly more time and energy than I'd be willing to devote to other people's children so I never understand the griping. There aren't any teachers in Harrison teaching without certification and proper credentials and people suggesting that there are (in the case of Mrs. O'Brien) is just nonsense, just anonymous, gutless trouble-making and a poor substitute for addressing important issues and questions the IFC candidates' have raised.

Not everyone employed by the town is a crook, or being paid for two jobs with three pensions and multiple health insurance plans...there's been too much bitching about "who's got a job as a BoE secretary" or some such...there are positions that need to be filled, work to be done, and paperwork in school districts never stops......most people here are just trying to make a living and would like to see things better for their kids than they are for them.

I'd like the opportunity to decide for myself who the better candidates are and who has a platform that will improve conditions for Harrison and it's citizens. I'd love to hear from the Democrats, but will definitely meet and talk to the IFC candidates this coming week because I can't wait any longer for a debate to hear what we're going to do to solve Harrison's problems. I don't think name-calling, intimidation and snotty web postings is going to get it done this time, and I do, and will vote.

The independentsforchangeharrisonnj.org website has the updated "Meet and Greet" for Oct 28 plus some new updates. The latest "What's Your Take?" page should peak you interest - it has a supporting documentation page.

Greetings,

It is no less than astoundingly offensive to the electorate that the incumbent Harrison leadership ("dug in like a Louisiana tic") ignores the call for a debate.

I notice the anonymous defenders of this entrenchment only emerge to post cockroach-like, to distract from the thread's timely and noble topic.........

DEBATE CHALLENGE!!!

We get the government we deserve. Surely in this maturing age of information people would move to put an end to the status quo of Harrison leadership's self serving gravy train if that's indeed what it is.

You as Americans and Harrisonians deserve a debate between the principals in this upcoming election. Some of the accusations and reasonings revealed on this board suggest the operation of Harrison government and the parasites involved are like those from the film "Walking Tall."

You deserve answers for a sound basis on how to cast your vote, not intimidation or convenient neglect from candidates.

I sometimes cannot understand how the state or the feds do not get involved in this one square mile of mysterious government rule.

DEMAND THE DEBATE CHALLENGE TO TAKE PLACE.....and if you don't get it, vote against those that refuse!!

According to McDonough "I really don't think a debate is appropriate for this election." I'm sure he wouldn't want to answer why school employees are being used to wring money out of people. The independent's website has a supporting documentation page now.

Guest think4youself

A question to the Idiots and Fools Coalition (IFC). If the voters in Harrison were so irresponsible (which their not), where would the IFC find time to actually serve the town? Gavini would be to busy ****** ******** *** ** ******* (* already very civic minded)Maria and Steve would be to busy ******** ****** *** ** *****, Rodrigues would be to busy ******** ******* ********** (like the McCormicks) and hopefully Obrien will be spending her time at the ******* ******.

First of all any indepent thought, cannot be considered foolish, I wish you used a real name so I could meet up with you, cause it is ignornat, and border line foolish to express views that anyone with a contray one to your own is a fool. Its easy to be afraid of change like a little baby bunny like you, I don't know that the mccormick ticket would make this town any better, but it "is" afact that to expect a different outcome from the same repeated actions over and over, well that is the sign of a mental handicap. the old goverment has lad the way to nothing but the rich getting richer, and the poor getting poorer, change can't make anything worse

Guest Kathy Moranin

According to McDonough "I really don't think a debate is appropriate for this election." I'm sure he wouldn't want to answer why school employees are being used to wring money out of people. The independent's website has a supporting documentation page now.

A new Food delievery truck, and the falling promise of senior housing isn't enough anymore

Yes there are many people with degrees who will be voting in this election. I have spoken to many and we will use our ability to cut the BS and make the smart choice by voting for the Mc Donough Team. They actually have a plan and it seems to be working pretty well. I have lived in other towns and am very pleased with the school system here. Despite all the negativity on this site, I like living in this town.

Yes there are many people with degrees who will be voting in this election. I have spoken to many and we will use our ability to cut the BS and make the smart choice by voting for the Mc Donough Team. They actually have a plan and it seems to be working pretty well. I have lived in other towns and am very pleased with the school system here. Despite all the negativity on this site, I like living in this town.

You make a huge mistake thinking that all people with degrees are "Smart" and people without degrees are "Dumb". You may have a degree, but you are not too smart if you think McDonough has a "plan" to help us taxpayers. The other side has convinced this "Dumb" person that they only "plan" they had was to rip off the town and squeeze out anyone who interfered with their "plan".

The Independents website has opened my eyes. They can prove their points. McDonough and his crew had 16 years. They stuck to a losing plan for re-development even when they should have known that it was a loser. So this "Dumb" voter is voting COLUMN F. Independents for Change all the way baby!