Superintendent only "break" school boundary for friends!

Guest Super MOM

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Request Info

I should retain "surprised resident" :)

-- superMOM

No, you should print out an OPRA request form off the Kearny Schools web site, fill it out requesting a list of students who are in Kearny Schools beyond their boundaries, i.e., students who are attending schools that they should not be in as per the schools boundary lines.

Guest SuperMOM

FINALLY!!! "request info" THIS IS THE REASON I POSTED THIS!!! I NEEDED RESOURCES AND YOU JUST POINTED ME IN THE RIGHT DIRECTION!!!! THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!!!

--SuperMOM

Can someone tell me is it true, that the Kearny board of ED, bought the building on the corner of Devon st and Midland ave the old hardware store building for the sum of $ 1 million. My understanding is that this happened in order to move the admin offices from Franklin school to make room for more students.

Super Mom and Request Info...

You can request all you want. Neither the state, the Board of Ed, the superintendent's office nor the schools are ALLOWED to give you any information about any children in the district. It is a VIOLATION of their privacy and it is none of your business. Student's records are not open public records (that's what the OPR stands for in OPRA)!

Guest Parent

No, you should print out an OPRA request form off the Kearny Schools web site, fill it out requesting a list of students who are in Kearny Schools beyond their boundaries, i.e., students who are attending schools that they should not be in as per the schools boundary lines.

Wouldn't that be a violation of the other students privacy? I'm pretty sure that you are not aloud to divulge information on anyone under 18.

Super Mom and Request Info...

You can request all you want. Neither the state, the Board of Ed, the superintendent's office nor the schools are ALLOWED to give you any information about any children in the district. It is a VIOLATION of their privacy and it is none of your business. Student's records are not open public records (that's what the OPR stands for in OPRA)!

Super Mom is not requesting information regarding a specific student. She will request only how many students and what schools in the district have students attending that do not fall within the schools boundaries. Names of students are not necessary.

#1- Ive already apologized for stating the other child's name both publicly and to the other mother.

#2- I will open any box including pandora's for what I feel is best for my children.

#3- No harassment charges were filed because there was no harassing going on. I did absolutely nothing wrong other than publicly name another child.

#4- The ADHD issue is that my daughter has been on various doses of various medications, including one that caused her to faint in our home. Being that we are still experimenting with medication I fear that something might go wrong, and I've been informed by the Roosevelt School faculty that the nurse isn't there all day. Lincoln School is only one block from my home and my son attends that school, I would be able to be there in less than 5 minutes, should an emergency occur, and no I'm not a doctor I'm a mother.

#5- I have NOT broken any laws! I tried the discreet approach and it got me a.... "It's your problem you figure it out" and a .... "boundaries are boundaries and I won't break them for you or anyone else"... When in fact that's a LIE.... Boundaries have been broken for numerous children, so why discriminate mine???

#6- I will shine as many spotlights to this situation as necessary and my loud mouth isn't going anywhere, or is it going to stop until I feel that my daughter's best interest has been achieved. Whether that is achieved at the risk of opening a "Pandora"s box; or looking like they caved because I am so vocal doesn't matter!!! I don't care!!! Like me Love me or Hate me, it really makes no difference as long as my daughter's needs have been met.

#7- You are absolutely right!!! I was not thinking about the "other" child when I said her name, and again I said I was sorry but in reality I'm looking out for my own. Had FD allowed my daughter to attend the school that both her doctor and I felt was best for her none of this would be going on. PERSEVERANCE AND DETERMINATION!!! I always have and always will do anything I have to do to make sure my children's best interests have been met.

I also wanted to mention that I have been made aware of many other children the are in schools outside their boundaries, Its amazing the information that is available when you look in the right places, and again why is my child being discriminated???

I'm a mother fighting for my kids, don't get mad because I'm not stopping at a NO, I will fight for them with all my might and I will go as far up in the chain of command as necessary. Just like any other mother should!!! I'm holding off on the media because I don't want this to get any bigger!! I didn't even want it to go this far!! But I'm in it to win it, and I'm going to do whatever I have to do ... So please stop with the insults and open your eyes, I'm not out to hurt anyone. I just want equal rights for my daughter. Is that really so bad???

Thanks everyone for your input, it is all appreciated both positive and negative, and hopefully one day you will get to know that I'm actually a very nice person, and a very devoted mother.

--Super MOM :)

How about this idea; stop having children that you obviously can't care for. Whay don't you have a license? Where's the dad in all of this?

Guest Legal Beagle

I see that you're hedging somewhat by starting your response with SuperMom "never cited...." That's precisely the reason why I said she should consult a lawyer. It doesn't matter what argument she has raised or hasn't raised to date, the fact is her child falls within at least two protected categories under federal civil rights law. By characterizing one of those categories as "playing an ethnic card", you're pre-judging her circumstances and, even worse, dismissing rights she has under federal law. That's not playing a card. That's following the law.

Now here's why you should hit those legal books again: whether her child has been denied an equal education opportunity would be determined not only on her particular cirumstances but also the circumstances of every child granted or denied a transfer request in her age group. That way you can assess whether she received equal treatment. So, Legal Beagle, unless you have personal knowledge of the ethnicity, race and disability status of all other children in the age group who were approved or denied a transfer request, you can't reach your conclusion. Reconsider your legal advice.

I'm not at all hedging. One can only appraise the rationale for SuperMom's tirade by the information she has put forth. Her primary and often reiterated statements were based solely on the child's medical condition and her ability to provide rapid assistance if necessary. Finding that approach to be ineffective, she may now be attempting to utilize other reasons not noted in her original argument. Selective vacillation will not serve well to further her agenda. This type of "trial and error" tactic smacks of self-service. Instead of seeking the solution that fits the problem, she is restructuring the problem to obtain the solution she is seeking.

Again, when a factor in any procedure is subjective discretionary power, unless you can prove a PRE-EXISTING bias against this child, a violations claim would be next to impossible to prove.

I stand by my original assessment. It would be a waste of time and money to pursue any sort of discrimination suit based the information available.

Guest Another Surpised Resident

That's precisely right. But I do expect the Board of Ed and their attorney to stonewall on the OPRA request. If they refuse to diclose that kind of information, then that'll be another signal that they're trying to sweep under the rug a double standard. I hope SuperMom gets legal counsel. It's not just about her kid anymore but all the kids who don't have an inside track with the school administration.

That's precisely right. But I do expect the Board of Ed and their attorney to stonewall on the OPRA request. If they refuse to diclose that kind of information, then that'll be another signal that they're trying to sweep under the rug a double standard. I hope SuperMom gets legal counsel. It's not just about her kid anymore but all the kids who don't have an inside track with the school administration.

The Board has nothing to do with refusing or allowing this type of information to be divulged...student information, be it their names OR the reasons they attend school outside of their prescribed districts is information that is not open to the public, for VERY obvious reasons. Even if the number of children is made available, that doesn't really do Super Mom any good in her quest to prove discrimination, does it? The only "inside track" that anybody needs, is following the proper procedure and having a VALID request.

And before anybody goes off about "how dare I" question the validity of ADHD or her child having it, I'm not saying that at all. I'm sure that little girl and her family struggle with it each and every day. What I am saying is that Lincoln School is no different than any other school in the way that it deals with an ADHD child. Academically speaking, if the child has an IEP or a 504, than by law, any school must accommodate the child as outlined in those documents. As for the health and emergency issue, Lincoln School still has a nurse that is entitled to go to lunch and Roosevelt School is as accessible to emergency first responders as Lincoln School is.

While I truly sympathize with the situation on a personal level, I don't agree that bringing other children into it is the right thing to do. It's nobody else's business!

Guest Surprised Resident

I'm not at all hedging. One can only appraise the rationale for SuperMom's tirade by the information she has put forth. Her primary and often reiterated statements were based solely on the child's medical condition and her ability to provide rapid assistance if necessary. Finding that approach to be ineffective, she may now be attempting to utilize other reasons not noted in her original argument. Selective vacillation will not serve well to further her agenda. This type of "trial and error" tactic smacks of self-service. Instead of seeking the solution that fits the problem, she is restructuring the problem to obtain the solution she is seeking.

Again, when a factor in any procedure is subjective discretionary power, unless you can prove a PRE-EXISTING bias against this child, a violations claim would be next to impossible to prove.

I stand by my original assessment. It would be a waste of time and money to pursue any sort of discrimination suit based the information available. .

Using terms like "tirade", "selective", "her agenda", and "tactic" show you've pre-judged Supermom. She's entitled to her rights under the law. If the Kearny School District has not treated transfer requests equally, then SuperMom and all parents should know that. I'll say it again, unless you know the details on transfer requests, then you don't know whether the school district has violated the law.

Don't criticize the person who brought this to light. Instead, tell us how many transfer requests have been made in the past year and how many were granted.

Super Mom is not requesting information regarding a specific student. She will request only how many students and what schools in the district have students attending that do not fall within the schools boundaries. Names of students are not necessary.

That information is not public and should not be.

Guest TOP SECRET

That information is not public and should not be.

Exactly what is to be expected from the Super and the BOE bobleheads! Keep everything secret. This topic is just one of many issues that need to be exposed. This is no high profile topic, just state the facts like the previous poster noted, how many transfers were requested and how many transfers were granted? No personal information is needed on any children, just another cover up by the BOE.

Guest SuperMOM

How about this idea; stop having children that you obviously can't care for. Whay don't you have a license? Where's the dad in all of this?

My reason for not driving has nothing to do with this!!! My husband and father of our FOUR children is standing right beside me supporting me in every way!!! We take very good care of our children!!! Who the hell are you to judge me without even knowing me!!! If I chose to have 1,000 more children that would be my business!!! Don't be mad because I have the guts to fight for my children and most people don't!!! People here talk the talk but are not capable of walking the walk!! And yeah sign is as guest cause you wouldn't have the guts to identify your self!!! Your probably some loser !!!! You probably wish you had the perseverance and determination that I have!!!

DONT HATE WHAT YOU CAN'T IMMITATE!!!!

--- SuperMOM ... today, tomorrow, and always !!!!

Guest Legal Beagle

Using terms like "tirade", "selective", "her agenda", and "tactic" show you've pre-judged Supermom. She's entitled to her rights under the law. If the Kearny School District has not treated transfer requests equally, then SuperMom and all parents should know that. I'll say it again, unless you know the details on transfer requests, then you don't know whether the school district has violated the law.

Don't criticize the person who brought this to light. Instead, tell us how many transfer requests have been made in the past year and how many were granted.

Excuse me! Every word I've used is perfectly legitimate and appropriate to this situation. SuperMom has executed a protracted diatribe which I politely described as a tirade. There are many other, less flattering terms which would apply. As one who has no stake and no authority in this situation, I have every right to form my opinion, my judgment if you prefer, based on her public attitudes and actions which to date have not only been inappropriate but border on illegal. If you perceive my use of the word "agenda" as somehow derogatory, perhaps you misunderstand its definition.

Neither you nor I have, nor should we have, any information pertinent to any child's placement; therefore if you think you are in possession of more specific information than I, then someone has broken the law! Transfer requests and the dispositions thereof are not public record.

Guest SuperMOM

Excuse me! Every word I've used is perfectly legitimate and appropriate to this situation. SuperMom has executed a protracted diatribe which I politely described as a tirade. There are many other, less flattering terms which would apply. As one who has no stake and no authority in this situation, I have every right to form my opinion, my judgment if you prefer, based on her public attitudes and actions which to date have not only been inappropriate but border on illegal. If you perceive my use of the word "agenda" as somehow derogatory, perhaps you misunderstand its definition.

Neither you nor I have, nor should we have, any information pertinent to any child's placement; therefore if you think you are in possession of more specific information than I, then someone has broken the law! Transfer requests and the dispositions thereof are not public record.

Legal beagal,

Let me ask you this.... What would you do if you were in my situation? What would you do if you felt that your child's best interest has not been met? What would you do if no one would listen to the needs of your child? What would you do? How far would you go for your child? ..... I'm just asking? Not judging or questioning you as a mother, that is if you are a mother... Just really curious. As you said yourself I haven't done anything illegal. Would you take a NO or create a tirade ? Would you stop or keep going? Again just curious.... Trust me I would of loved to have my situation resolved discreetly, unfortunatelly it didn't happen that way...

And you don't have to answer here... But ask yourself... How far would I go?

--SuperMOM

Guest Another Surprised Resident

The Board has nothing to do with refusing or allowing this type of information to be divulged...student information, be it their names OR the reasons they attend school outside of their prescribed districts is information that is not open to the public, for VERY obvious reasons. Even if the number of children is made available, that doesn't really do Super Mom any good in her quest to prove discrimination, does it? The only "inside track" that anybody needs, is following the proper procedure and having a VALID request.

And before anybody goes off about "how dare I" question the validity of ADHD or her child having it, I'm not saying that at all. I'm sure that little girl and her family struggle with it each and every day. What I am saying is that Lincoln School is no different than any other school in the way that it deals with an ADHD child. Academically speaking, if the child has an IEP or a 504, than by law, any school must accommodate the child as outlined in those documents. As for the health and emergency issue, Lincoln School still has a nurse that is entitled to go to lunch and Roosevelt School is as accessible to emergency first responders as Lincoln School is.

While I truly sympathize with the situation on a personal level, I don't agree that bringing other children into it is the right thing to do. It's nobody else's business!

That's wrong as a matter of law. Federal civil rights cases in the public school context are litigated with some frequency in federal court. Litigants' attorneys and federal courts can analyze school data without identifying any child.

Legal Beagle, you know it doesn't work that way in court. You can't violate federal law and hide behind privacy. Federal courts and litigants' attorneys can and often analyze school data with disclosing anyone's identity.

Yes, you've pre-judged SuperMom. I repeat, unless you know how all other transfer requests were handled, you can't pre-judge her. By continuing to do so, an "opinion" can be formed that you're not objective and have a strong pro-school administration bias, maybe to the point of being a knee jerk defender of the current administration.

Guest Legal Beagle

Legal beagal,

Let me ask you this.... What would you do if you were in my situation? What would you do if you felt that your child's best interest has not been met? What would you do if no one would listen to the needs of your child? What would you do? How far would you go for your child? ..... I'm just asking? Not judging or questioning you as a mother, that is if you are a mother... Just really curious. As you said yourself I haven't done anything illegal. Would you take a NO or create a tirade ? Would you stop or keep going? Again just curious.... Trust me I would of loved to have my situation resolved discreetly, unfortunatelly it didn't happen that way...

--SuperMOM

My sense is that you're not really interested in how I would proceed in your position, but I will attempt to address your rhetoric in a way that is without sarcasm or rancor (please accept it in the vein in which it is offered):

1) I would have thoroughly investigated the placement request process BEFORE applying for an exemption. You can't successfully navigate a system with which you are not fully knowledgeable.

2) Formulating a concise and complete presentation of the reason(s) for the request and presenting it in a mature non-combative manner would garner more empathy than a rant at a public meeting.

3) Picking one strong and well thought-out strategy provides a much more intelligent impression than failing to prove one and moving on to another.

4) Ask about an appeals process. That would give you an opportunity to refine your application.

5) Under no circumstances would I further my own child's welfare to the detriment of another"s. That is unfair in all life situations and sets a very poor example for your children.

6) Children, especially those with special needs, should not be exposed to situations over which they have no control. Therefore this matter should never have been discussed within earshot of any of your children. If you're truly concerned about the stress factor in your ADHD child's life, the last thing you should have done was to speak about this in her presence or to drag her along to the board meeting.

7)If all attempts proved futile, I would assure my child that she was safe and secure in whatever school she attended and then do my damnedest to make sure that she was.

In the final analysis, it is our responsibility as adults and as parents to provide for the safety and welfare of all of our children. We do that by making sure that every school is equally equipped to handle medical and educational crisis as they arise. I believe that to be true of the Kearny school system. All this speculation about favoritism and discrimination is not conducive to helping meet the needs of your child.

My reason for not driving has nothing to do with this!!! My husband and father of our FOUR children is standing right beside me supporting me in every way!!! We take very good care of our children!!! Who the hell are you to judge me without even knowing me!!! If I chose to have 1,000 more children that would be my business!!! Don't be mad because I have the guts to fight for my children and most people don't!!! People here talk the talk but are not capable of walking the walk!! And yeah sign is as guest cause you wouldn't have the guts to identify your self!!! Your probably some loser !!!! You probably wish you had the perseverance and determination that I have!!!

DONT HATE WHAT YOU CAN'T IMMITATE!!!!

--- SuperMOM ... today, tomorrow, and always !!!!

You're just another bully trying to make life easy on yourself. Your child will be just as well cared for at either school. It's time to stop people like you from taking advantage of the politically correct society we now live in. Do you have any clue how overpopulated Lincoln is right now? No because you only care about yourself. If you want to make your kid's life as normal as possible, as you have said, then send her to the school that she is assigned to. Don't get all high and mighty because you sign in with a screen name either. Most people here don't know your identity and don't need to. You should realize that from everyone giving you crap for talking about the other girl in public.

You can take that rapper mentality and shove it. I wouldn't immitate you if you paid me.

By the way, I'm a taxpayer and it is my business because I have to pay for your little animals to go to school.

Legal beagal,

--SuperMOM

How about you follow the rules and the decisions of the Superintendent? You've been asked over and over if your child's IEP requires her to be at school so that you can be there at a moments notice and you refuse to answer.

Ask yourself this; what about all of the special needs children that get on a buses everyday, leave their families, homes, and neighborhoods and go to schools miles from their houses? Is it fair to them?

Stop thinking about yourself for once and try thinking about what's best for your community.

Guest SuperMOM

My sense is that you're not really interested in how I would proceed in your position, but I will attempt to address your rhetoric in a way that is without sarcasm or rancor (please accept it in the vein in which it is offered):

1) I would have thoroughly investigated the placement request process BEFORE applying for an exemption. You can't successfully navigate a system with which you are not fully knowledgeable.

2) Formulating a concise and complete presentation of the reason(s) for the request and presenting it in a mature non-combative manner would garner more empathy than a rant at a public meeting.

3) Picking one strong and well thought-out strategy provides a much more intelligent impression than failing to prove one and moving on to another.

4) Ask about an appeals process. That would give you an opportunity to refine your application.

5) Under no circumstances would I further my own child's welfare to the detriment of another"s. That is unfair in all life situations and sets a very poor example for your children.

6) Children, especially those with special needs, should not be exposed to situations over which they have no control. Therefore this matter should never have been discussed within earshot of any of your children. If you're truly concerned about the stress factor in your ADHD child's life, the last thing you should have done was to speak about this in her presence or to drag her along to the board meeting.

7)If all attempts proved futile, I would assure my child that she was safe and secure in whatever school she attended and then do my damnedest to make sure that she was.

In the final analysis, it is our responsibility as adults and as parents to provide for the safety and welfare of all of our children. We do that by making sure that every school is equally equipped to handle medical and educational crisis as they arise. I believe that to be true of the Kearny school system. All this speculation about favoritism and discrimination is not conducive to helping meet the needs of

I agree this all started wrong.... But it is what it is now... And I still have to do whatever it takes to ensure her well being...

Thanks for your input

--SuperMOM :)

Guest SuperMOM

How about you follow the rules and the decisions of the Superintendent? You've been asked over and over if your child's IEP requires her to be at school so that you can be there at a moments notice and you refuse to answer.

Ask yourself this; what about all of the special needs children that get on a buses everyday, leave their families, homes, and neighborhoods and go to schools miles from their houses? Is it fair to them?

Stop thinking about yourself for once and try thinking about what's best for your community.

My daughters IEP has not been finalized yet, Lincoln school offers a program that Roosevelt doesn't, my daughter is having a very hard time in school both behavior and

educationally. I'm not thinking about what is best for me or the community... It's what's best for her :) I hope you understand

Thanks

SuperMom wants what's best for her child AND for her community. So stop maligning her. If you want to show that the School Administration has done "what's best for the community" then the Administration should disclose the number of requests for transfers, how many were granted, and the race, ethnicity and disability status of the denied requests. Simple as that. Then I'll tell you who's acting in the best interest of OUR community.