Drug testing for Town Employees

Guest Guest

Guest Guest

I want to know why there is not drug testing for the town's employees. If they are making so much money they should have random testing. And that shuld include all of them not just the ones that drive vehicles or heavy equipment. And it shuld be a hair folicle test. I know several that are making large salaries that have some,shall we say"questionalbe habits". Are any of them tested? Firemen or policemen? If not why?

Guest confussed
I want to know why there is not drug testing for the town's employees. If they are making so much money they should have random testing. And that shuld include all of them not just the ones that drive vehicles or heavy equipment. And it shuld be a hair folicle test. I know several that are making large salaries that have some,shall we say"questionalbe habits". Are any of them tested? Firemen or policemen? If not why?

What does the amount of money give reason for people to be drug tested. Are you concerned about the amount of money they make or the type of work they do ? Jealously is no reason to require people to be drug tested................

Guest Guest
What does the amount of money give reason for people to be drug tested. Are you concerned about the amount of money they make or the type of work they do ? Jealously is no reason to require people to be drug tested................

No, I am not jealous. I just think that people whom hold positions with responsibilites or deal with the public should have random drug screening so the town knows that they are working with a clear head. I guess you are opposed to random drug sceening. That leaves me questioning you!

Guest Guest

why would any person be opposed to drug testing unless they were hiding something..

Guest Guest

Thats your brain on drugs talking:

Guest Guest
No, I am not jealous. I just think that people whom hold positions with responsibilites or deal with the public should have random drug screening so the town knows that they are working with a clear head. I guess you are opposed to random drug sceening. That leaves me questioning you!

That should include teachers, and all board of Ed. employees.

Guest Guest
http://alcoholism.about.com/cs/work/a/aa990203.htm

It's a privacy issue... but here are some interesting this a simple google search found on the topic.

YOu must use drugs also, because it is not a privacy issue. If you take drugs other than for a medical condition, you cannot perform your job correctly and it may cause an accident and an innocent by stander may be hurt because of your drug use. I believe that all positions should be held accounted for and be randomly tested. If they refuse, your out. PVS has it! So why isn't it a privacy issue there? Many companies insist thier empoyees take a ramdon drug test by hair folical. And these positions are office as well as in manufacturing. If you are dirty your out!

Guest Guest

:unsure:

http://alcoholism.about.com/cs/work/a/aa990203.htm

It's a privacy issue... but here are some interesting this a simple google search found on the topic.

There is no privacy issue at all! From the Mayor to the last hire everyone should be drug tested. The police department is the only department with a drug testing policy. You have too wonder why no other department is held to this standard. I guess they figure that if we open that can of worms then alot of their friends will get caught and loose their jobs.

Guest guest
That should include teachers, and all board of Ed. employees.

You are right it should include teachers who are suppose to be setting a good example for young people..

You are right it should include teachers who are suppose to be setting a good example for young people..

How about drug testing day care. Would some of you people sent your kids to some of the places. When you walk in and see someone you know is diffenitly a druggy. You know the daycare and the man who was working their. His Mother owns it. What a discrace to have kids with a addict.

How about drug testing day care. Would some of you people sent your kids to some of the places. When you walk in and see someone you know is diffenitly a druggy. You know the daycare and the man who was working their. His Mother owns it. What a discrace to have kids with a addict.

You are so right! Let's not only test day care teachers/workers- but also teachers in our K-12 system too! I mean, look at the damage some Spelling teacher inflicted upon you!!! :angry:

YOu must use drugs also, because it is not a privacy issue. If you take drugs other than for a medical condition, you cannot perform your job correctly and it may cause an accident and an innocent by stander may be hurt because of your drug use. I believe that all positions should be held accounted for and be randomly tested. If they refuse, your out. PVS has it! So why isn't it a privacy issue there? Many companies insist thier empoyees take a ramdon drug test by hair folical. And these positions are office as well as in manufacturing. If you are dirty your out!

I do not use drugs. I did not offer an opinion on the matter only did some research and why I googled Drug Testing in the workplace a number of hits came up involving privacy. So a logical assumption must be there is a privacy issue.

Again I have not shared an opinion on that matter. But I would like to share a fallacy known as the slippery slope based on your response. (And I only do this because you accused me of being a drug user)

Lets assume you are my neighbor.

If you take drugs other than for a medical condition, you can not function in society to a normal degree and you may cause an accident and an innocent by stander may be hurt because of your drug use. (I can come up with some rather creative thoughts about the nature of these accidents) I believe that all my neighbors have more opportunity to be a danger to me and my family (simply because of proximity). All my neighbors should be randomly tested, if they refuse they must move out. If your dirty I don't want you living next to me. If your clean I want proof.

The problem is with the legal system once you begin to make exceptions for certain circumstances you open the door to slippery slopes. Agreements between employers and employees allow for such testing. But if the employees as a whole fought it they would have legal ground based on privacy protection laws. I'm not saying who would win or who should win only there is legal grounds for it.

(I exaggerated my argument only to make a point)

[/quo

I once worked for a large corp who tested everyone once every 6 months,the issue was when the supervisor recieved the testing papers,it gave him 4 weeks notice before the test needed to be performed, He would then alert the employee that they would be tested on a certen date,giving time to clean up.

It wasn't until I took over as supervisor and ran random testing when ever we got rid of the bad apples, I ordered a test thru a private agency and they arrived with on the spot equipment. This is the only real way to test and everyone tested.

Jealous! Jealous, yes, I guess I am. I would love to be making over 100k to pick out which flowers to plant down Davis Ave., or which new street light to choose. I also would love to be making ober $80,000 working for HUD, and the only office experience she had was working part time as a waitress! If thats makes me jealous thanYes, Yes I am. But! I can tell you this, I can pass any drug test without studying. Get my drift?

its a waste of money. Dr.'s give out prescriptions like they were candy, so nobody is gonna fail for any prescription drugs. the only drug, drug tests ever catch anyone using is marijuana. Its such a messed up system. Drs give out far wore things to patients then marijuana, yet thats pretty much all over the place. The tests that should be given are ones that tell you , that you currently are under the influence while at work. Drug test just show the drugs broken down in your urine which tells them you have taken them some time in the past. What people do in their own homes should be there business. Anyone here saying guys making 100k should be drug tested are just jealous of their own crummy job. Its the whole Ill never have that so i dont want anyone to have it attitude. I would put money that if everyone in this post was given a urine test, It would all come up positive for something. That doesn't mean anyone would lose their jobs, because im sure most people have a prescription, but i bet everyone would have something in their system.

its a waste of money. Dr.'s give out prescriptions like they were candy, so nobody is gonna fail for any prescription drugs. the only drug, drug tests ever catch anyone using is marijuana. Its such a messed up system. Drs give out far wore things to patients then marijuana, yet thats pretty much all over the place. The tests that should be given are ones that tell you , that you currently are under the influence while at work. Drug test just show the drugs broken down in your urine which tells them you have taken them some time in the past. What people do in their own homes should be there business. Anyone here saying guys making 100k should be drug tested are just jealous of their own crummy job. Its the whole Ill never have that so i dont want anyone to have it attitude. I would put money that if everyone in this post was given a urine test, It would all come up positive for something. That doesn't mean anyone would lose their jobs, because im sure most people have a prescription, but i bet everyone would have something in their system.

Not a urin test, the town needs to give hair folicle tests. And we are not just talking about prescription drugs, what about cocaine, crack and there are a multitude of others. And what people do on their own time does reflect on your job because if it is drugs they stay in your system for quite some time that is why you give hair folicle tests. It can tell what you took 3 months ago. Alot of very large companies insist on random drug tests and hair folicle not urine tests. PVS is one of them and if you refuse your out! There is always someone eaiting for your job. There are so many out of work now. Therefore it is not a waste of money. And if your afraid to take a test because what you do on the weekend than you should be fired also.

Guest Pale Rider

Hair follicle tests can tell if any controlled dangerous sustances (drugs) have been used up to about a full year. Instead of making the hit list for the next round of layoffs, because thats already being compiled, start the drug testing and you will most likely have more people out of the higher paying positions that you can ever terminate for fiscal reasons. My suggestions is to start at the fire department, then the teachers, and so on..... if you want to see a town full of frightened people jumping into anxiety fits every time a random drug test is adminstered, just start the program and you will be able to tell almost immediately who is stressed out and who isn't.

why not test all who apply for food stamps and welfare assistance...............are we contributing to their habit?

They are all on drugs and can't get jobs thats why we are paying for them on welfare. They can't pass a drug test. I think if they are drugs that they should not qualify for welfare. Only people down on their luck and mentally challanged.

Not a urin test, the town needs to give hair folicle tests. And we are not just talking about prescription drugs, what about cocaine, crack and there are a multitude of others. And what people do on their own time does reflect on your job because if it is drugs they stay in your system for quite some time that is why you give hair folicle tests. It can tell what you took 3 months ago. Alot of very large companies insist on random drug tests and hair folicle not urine tests. PVS is one of them and if you refuse your out! There is always someone eaiting for your job. There are so many out of work now. Therefore it is not a waste of money. And if your afraid to take a test because what you do on the weekend than you should be fired also.

Do you know what you are talking about or just making stuff up as you go along? Of course the drug tests are going to test for cocaine and others, if someone test positive for cocaine , they must have just did it within 20hrs or so of the test because it metabolized very quickly by the body. If they are caught with any illegal drugs then fine, they should be sent to rehab or suspended. Testing peoples hair is absolutely rediculous. Marijuana use can stay in your hair for years, sometimes as far back at 7 or 8 years. Your telling me your gonna fire some guy who tried weed when he was in high school? wake up and smell the coffee people, more people have tried it then have no tried it. Even your president has tried it before. And I can't just say that about obama, clinton, and bush also owned up to smoking weed. Thats why hair test is a stupid idea, because they can't tell the time frame when it was taken, urine , by the numbers found can atleast give you a rough estimate of when the drug was ingested.

Do you know what you are talking about or just making stuff up as you go along? Of course the drug tests are going to test for cocaine and others, if someone test positive for cocaine , they must have just did it within 20hrs or so of the test because it metabolized very quickly by the body. If they are caught with any illegal drugs then fine, they should be sent to rehab or suspended. Testing peoples hair is absolutely rediculous. Marijuana use can stay in your hair for years, sometimes as far back at 7 or 8 years. Your telling me your gonna fire some guy who tried weed when he was in high school? wake up and smell the coffee people, more people have tried it then have no tried it. Even your president has tried it before. And I can't just say that about obama, clinton, and bush also owned up to smoking weed. Thats why hair test is a stupid idea, because they can't tell the time frame when it was taken, urine , by the numbers found can atleast give you a rough estimate of when the drug was ingested.

Spoken like a true user. Good God, what has this town come to?

Spoken like a true user. Good God, what has this town come to?

Wow, so someone bringing the actual FACTS into the discussion is insulted? All of you people bitching about taxes dont seem to realizw just HOW MUCH it costs to do the Follicle test.... Standard Urine tests test for ALL narcotics.... prescription, and Non-prescription.

Wow, so someone bringing the actual FACTS into the discussion is insulted? All of you people bitching about taxes dont seem to realizw just HOW MUCH it costs to do the Follicle test.... Standard Urine tests test for ALL narcotics.... prescription, and Non-prescription.

"How much" =No more than the cost of having firefighters high on drugs come to your house and try to put out a fire or save your life.