SHHHH Mr.Superintendent

Guest Guest

Guest Guest
The reality is that salaries have gone up way too much. In this economy, there's no way we can afford a Kearny school district superintendent who makes more than $200,000, which is what Kearny has. Here's a suggestion: post the job PUBLICLY for $50,000 a year less, see how many applicants you get, and post the qualifications of the applicants PUBLICLY so the community (and not the insiders with personal stakes) can assess who's best for the job.

ROFLMAO! :D:):)

Guest Guest
The reality is that salaries have gone up way too much. In this economy, there's no way we can afford a Kearny school district superintendent who makes more than $200,000, which is what Kearny has. Here's a suggestion: post the job PUBLICLY for $50,000 a year less, see how many applicants you get, and post the qualifications of the applicants PUBLICLY so the community (and not the insiders with personal stakes) can assess who's best for the job.

I'd love to see who would come forward for $50,000/year less.

The super in Kearny, besides having to be qualified and certified, is in charge of a 50 million dollar budget, several hundred employees, and all of the infrastructure that goes along with it. He is also responsible for the education of a few thousand children. What do you think is a fair salary? How many applications were received when Mooney resigned?

If you want it done publicly (actually, more publicly because it already is done publicly) why don't you go to a BOE meeting and make your suggestions. Or run for a seat on the BOE.

BTW The Chubby Dictator may make a little less but the cost of his staff is enormous compared to what Corzine's was. And lets not forget his wife and her staff, I mean is that really necessary.

Guest Observant One
There may be differences in salary between Governor and Kearny School Superintendent, but their egos are evenly matched. They're gargantuan on both sides.

Come to think of it, Christie and Digeser also have similar management approaches, each surrounds himself with like-minded "yes" people. If anyone strays from the boss, the stray is punished and embarassed (witness Bret Schundler).

Guest Guest
Come to think of it, Christie and Digeser also have similar management approaches, each surrounds himself with like-minded "yes" people. If anyone strays from the boss, the stray is punished and embarassed (witness Bret Schundler).

Remember that every organization can only have ONE person in charge and not a bunch of independent operators.

Guest Analytical One
Remember that every organization can only have ONE person in charge and not a bunch of independent operators.

Recipe for disaster: the ONE person in charge thinks he's the smartest person in the room and puts "yes" people around him who are forced to agree with him.

Guest Guest
Recipe for disaster: the ONE person in charge thinks he's the smartest person in the room and puts "yes" people around him who are forced to agree with him.

Or maybe people who believe in what he is doing and support what he's doing.

Guest Observant One
Or maybe people who believe in what he is doing and support what he's doing.

That's one possibility. The other possibilities are the people around him are either not smart enough or they're smart but too afraid to speak out. My opinion is that they're too afraid. It's classic bully syndrome.

Guest Guest
That's one possibility. The other possibilities are the people around him are either not smart enough or they're smart but too afraid to speak out. My opinion is that they're too afraid. It's classic bully syndrome.

That sounds about right to me also. Arnold tried the bullying tactics in CA and they seem to be in a huge mess.

Guest Guest

He has good, smart people around him but he is the person in charge. It's not a democratic committee he's running. It's a school district and he's paid to be the boss. Sounds to me you're po'd because he didn't hire you or promote you. Or better yet, he didn't value your opinion.

Guest Guest
He has good, smart people around him but he is the person in charge. It's not a democratic committee he's running. It's a school district and he's paid to be the boss. Sounds to me you're po'd because he didn't hire you or promote you. Or better yet, he didn't value your opinion.

Sounds to me like a bunce of jealous people that couldn't shine this guy's shoes.

Guest Analytical One

Boss?? That's code for bully.

No, I don't work in the school district. No one in my family does. But I do speak to smart people who've worked in the district for years.

Let me guess who you are: you're very high up. Sadly, the ship is sinking and you just don't get it.

Guest Heard on the Street
Let's start a guessing game.We'll call it "HOW MANY DAYS TILL Mr.Superintendent RESIGNS"

With all this trouble,and even more on the horizon.And I don't mean the budget,that would be too simple.My guess is 10 working days from today.

Heard on the street that his fate will be decided next week. It could mean that you are two months off in your original prediction. Close enough.

Guest Horton Hears a What?
Heard on the street that his fate will be decided next week. It could mean that you are two months off in your original prediction. Close enough.

I hear someting, quietly, but it's getting louder, sounds like the sound you hear just before someone yells, "T I M B E R!"

If true, will the current superintendent have beaten Accocela's record of shortest tenure in history as Kearny superintendent?

Guest Horton Hears

I understand it's done. Time to look for a new superintendent and assistant superintendent.

Guest Horton Hears JC Cryin'
I hear someting, quietly, but it's getting louder, sounds like the sound you hear just before someone yells, "T I M B E R!"

If true, will the current superintendent have beaten Accocela's record of shortest tenure in history as Kearny superintendent?

Sounds to me like to forgot to get out of the way of the lumberjack. Did the tree land on your head when it fell or are you brain damaged for another reason?

The answer to your question about Accocela's record is NO! Frankie D is stayin' put.

I hear something too but it isn't quiet, it is getting louder, only it sounds like the fat lady is singing. She is singing for JC and his continued attempts at jacking the Superintendent. Glad to say, "Three more years Mr. D". Keep up the good work.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Horton Hears a Whimper
Sounds to me like to forgot to get out of the way of the lumberjack. Did the tree land on your head when it fell or are you brain damaged for another reason?

The answer to your question about Accocela's record is NO! Frankie D is stayin' put.

I hear something too but it isn't quiet, it is getting louder, only it sounds like the fat lady is singing. She is singing for JC and his continued attempts at jacking the Superintendent. Glad to say, "Three more years Mr. D". Keep up the good work.

Horton hears a cry! I think it's coming from Mini Napolean (aka Frankie Di). He's $25 thou over the cap:

Gov. Chris Christie today said he wants to limit pay for school superintendents and other administrators based on district size, cutting back salaries for those who already make more than the max, and introduce merit-based bonuses.

The proposal would mean pay cuts for 366 superintendents at the end of their contracts, saving school districts $9.8 million, the governor said.

“While families and school districts across the state cope with fewer resources and continued fiscal challenges, many school administrators continue to receive salaries that are out of proportion with the private sector and current economic realities," Christie said in a statement. “This cap will limit excessive administrator pay and ensure that more dollars are available for our children.”

Christie unveiled the limits in Spotswood, where he commended administrators for accepting a wage freeze. Pay for superintendents would be pegged to the number of students in a district, from $120,000 for the smallest districts up to more than $175,000 in the 16 districts with more than 10,000 students.

Guest Horton Hears a pffthhhhhht

That pfthhhhhhhhhtt you're hearing is the air coming out of the plan to rehire the asst superintendent at a "per diem" rate of $205,000 a year! I doubt he'll be volunteering much longer. He cares about the paycheck.

Enough is enough. Christie is right on school administrator salaries. It has to stop.

For those apologists on the Board of Education who allow these extraordinary salaries and who keep saying that, with all the changes in principals, you have to keep Digesere and Sprage, that's simply not true. It's the perfect time to bring all new leadership in. With the mediocre test results we've been getting, it's time to start over.

Guest Guest

AMEN!!! One of the top posts recently on KOTW, thank u so much! Yes, we NEED To rid ourselves of these top people, please stop the insanity, we can start over and rebuild, there are very capable young educators in our own system who can do a better job, people who also happen to live in town...

That pfthhhhhhhhhtt you're hearing is the air coming out of the plan to rehire the asst superintendent at a "per diem" rate of $205,000 a year! I doubt he'll be volunteering much longer. He cares about the paycheck.

Enough is enough. Christie is right on school administrator salaries. It has to stop.

For those apologists on the Board of Education who allow these extraordinary salaries and who keep saying that, with all the changes in principals, you have to keep Digesere and Sprage, that's simply not true. It's the perfect time to bring all new leadership in. With the mediocre test results we've been getting, it's time to start over.

Asst. Superintendent at $205,000 a year? After retiring and now collecting a $150,000 a year pension? Please tell me you're making this up.

Guest Enough is Enough
Asst. Superintendent at $205,000 a year? After retiring and now collecting a $150,000 a year pension? Please tell me you're making this up.

It's true. It's an insiders' club, you scratch my back and I scratch yours. That's how you get to 200,000+ a year for Superintendent and Asst Superintendent. It's incredible. In the private sector, many of the high paid administrators wouldn't get half these salaries. But the Board of Ed okays it because of their friends and family in the district.

Governor Christie is right. I hope he next eliminates the sick time payouts on retirement and makes retirees pay something for their health insurance benefits.

This is how it works in the school district: You scratch my back, I scratch yours. You give me 200 thou a year, I hire/promote/protect your family member or friend who works in the school district.

Superintendents and Boards of Education, they take care of themselves. The taxpayer is an afterthought. Merit is secondary.

Solution? Move Board of Ed elections to November. The loudest objectors will be those who benefit from the current system.

Guest Guest
It's true. It's an insiders' club, you scratch my back and I scratch yours. That's how you get to 200,000+ a year for Superintendent and Asst Superintendent. It's incredible. In the private sector, many of the high paid administrators wouldn't get half these salaries. But the Board of Ed okays it because of their friends and family in the district.

Governor Christie is right. I hope he next eliminates the sick time payouts on retirement and makes retirees pay something for their health insurance benefits.

Classroom teachers are not getting the same benefits and perks as administrators, the governor needs to stop painting everyone in education with the same brush. I agree these administrators coming back collecting $800+/diem to be interim whatever is disgraceful. As long as there are good secretaries in place, most offices will run for quite a while without a full time administrator in place. Schuyler School did it for years going back to "principal du jour" when Mr. Fernicola was sick. The rest of the administrators in the district picked up the slack and took turns keeping Schuyler running. (AND everyone knew Phyllis was in charge anyway. :lol: )

• 1 month later...
Guest Hold on to your fedora

<!--quoteo(post=106436:date=Jul 21 2010, 10:56 AM:name=Huh?)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Huh? @ Jul 21 2010, 10:56 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=106436"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Asst. Superintendent at $205,000 a year? After retiring and now collecting a $150,000 a year pension? Please tell me you're making this up.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

This is how it works in the school district: You scratch my back, I scratch yours. You give me 200 thou a year, I hire/promote/protect your family member or friend who works in the school district.

Superintendents and Boards of Education, they take care of themselves. The taxpayer is an afterthought. Merit is secondary.

Solution? Move Board of Ed elections to November. The loudest objectors will be those who benefit from the current system.

Well, hold on to your hat because one of Governor's Christie's "tool kit" items to reduce property taxes is moving the Board of Education election to November. The legislation will be voted on in this session. What will the administrators and teachers say to stop the change? No one believes the 'keep politics' out of board elections excuse.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Reality Bites

The superintendent's salary in Kearny is not really that high in comparison to the rest of the state. And there's plenty of public discussion. There's BOE meetings and Digesere spoke publicly at each of the schools.

If you want quality you usually have to pay for it.

Quality? Yea right! He's an idiot and has a temper. Remember Mr. Digesere? You like to throw chairs and go crazy in front of children, but guess what? We grew up with the memory of an A-Hole. Times have changed but you haven't! Now we are the parents and you have to answer to us. We are watching you...