* McDonough Can't Quit

JohnPinho

Mayor McDonough announced at the March 2, 2010 Council meeting that he was not seeking another term as Mayor. Jersey Journal reporter Tom Shortell wrote an article entitled "Harrison Mayor McDonough won't seek fifth term".

Should Mayor McDonough seek re-election? I believe he should. For those of you who know me pretty well, you will know that I am not a wholehearted McDonough fan so my opinion that he should not drop out of the race may seem strange. So why I am saying that McDonough should seek re-election?

Dropping out of the race would be the easy way out. The residents of Harrison deserve a Mayor who will step up and lead the town out of its current economic mess, not someone who quits when times get tough. Decisions made by Mayor McDonough have gotten us into this mess and he has to step up to the plate and turn the town around.

On a personal level, I can understand Mayor McDonough wanting to throw in the towel. He has lost Peter Higgins, a dear friend, a sounding board and confidant. He is facing dire financial cuts both in tax revenues, state cuts, a 3.5 million dollar bond payment, school aid cuts and a growing number of unemployed town residents. The road ahead is not an easy one. Mayor McDonough had banked on redevelopment to assist him in his re-election bid but the redevelopment in Harrison has stalled and unlikely to restart in any significant way prior to November.

Four years ago I supported (former) Councilman Anselmo Millan in his bid to become Harrison's Mayor. Despite a well run campaign, the residents of Harrison re-elected Mayor McDonough. Anselmo took a sabbatical from politics and spent time enjoying his family especially his grandchildren. Despite the loss of his Councilman title, Anselmo never stopped helping residents who showed up at his door seeking assistance and advise on varying issues. Anselmo continued to work for the residents of Harrison. He realized that he could continue to help despite not having a Councilman or Mayor's title. He may have not showed up at Council meetings (despite my invitations for him to do so) but he was not afraid to call or visit Mayor McDonough seeking assistance for a town resident or to voice his opinion. If he could help, he would. If he thought something was wrong, he let you know it.

When Mayor McDonough announced he was not seeking another term, I called

Anselmo and sought his insight on the Mayor's decision. Anselmo told me that the Mayor could not quit now, the town needed him too much. I have been at Anselmo's side through several political campaigns and terms in office. I was not surprised at his reaction. Anselmo wants what is best for Harrison. At this time, Anselmo believes that there is no one better to turn the ship around than Mayor McDonough. McDonough is going to have to make some very crucial decisions in the next few weeks and months. For four years, Councilman Steve McCormick (joined a year later by his wife Councilwoman Marie McCormick) have been trying to get McDonough to change his ways. Open Government and transparency would have prevented some of the poor decisions made in the past especially those related to the Redevelopment Zone. Hopefully, Mayor McDonough will begin the process of making Harrison's government more open to public scrutiny and input. McDonough has nothing to lose and a lot to gain.

Councilman Steve McCormick and his wife Councilwoman Marie McCormick have not announced their intentions with respect to one of them running for Mayor. They have earned the right to make a bid for the Mayor's seat. Both would also be qualified to manage the town's affairs. Steve's council seat is up this year. Marie's council seat is only up next year. Marie would run for Mayor in the Primary (June) or in the General Election (November) and still retain her council seat if she was unsuccessful.

There may be other candidates who will throw their hat into the ring both for the Mayor's seat and council chairs. The next few weeks will be interesting for those who enjoy following local politics.

View the full article

Guest BlueTideBacker
Mayor McDonough announced at the March 2, 2010 Council meeting that he was not seeking another term as Mayor. Jersey Journal reporter Tom Shortell wrote an article entitled "Harrison Mayor McDonough won't seek fifth term".

Should Mayor McDonough seek re-election? I believe he should. For those of you who know me pretty well, you will know that I am not a wholehearted McDonough fan so my opinion that he should not drop out of the race may seem strange. So why I am saying that McDonough should seek re-election?

Dropping out of the race would be the easy way out. The residents of Harrison deserve a Mayor who will step up and lead the town out of its current economic mess, not someone who quits when times get tough. Decisions made by Mayor McDonough have gotten us into this mess and he has to step up to the plate and turn the town around.

On a personal level, I can understand Mayor McDonough wanting to throw in the towel. He has lost Peter Higgins, a dear friend, a sounding board and confidant. He is facing dire financial cuts both in tax revenues, state cuts, a 3.5 million dollar bond payment, school aid cuts and a growing number of unemployed town residents. The road ahead is not an easy one. Mayor McDonough had banked on redevelopment to assist him in his re-election bid but the redevelopment in Harrison has stalled and unlikely to restart in any significant way prior to November.

Four years ago I supported (former) Councilman Anselmo Millan in his bid to become Harrison's Mayor. Despite a well run campaign, the residents of Harrison re-elected Mayor McDonough. Anselmo took a sabbatical from politics and spent time enjoying his family especially his grandchildren. Despite the loss of his Councilman title, Anselmo never stopped helping residents who showed up at his door seeking assistance and advise on varying issues. Anselmo continued to work for the residents of Harrison. He realized that he could continue to help despite not having a Councilman or Mayor's title. He may have not showed up at Council meetings (despite my invitations for him to do so) but he was not afraid to call or visit Mayor McDonough seeking assistance for a town resident or to voice his opinion. If he could help, he would. If he thought something was wrong, he let you know it.

Anselmo and sought his insight on the Mayor's decision. Anselmo told me that the Mayor could not quit now, the town needed him too much. I have been at Anselmo's side through several political campaigns and terms in office. I was not surprised at his reaction. Anselmo wants what is best for Harrison. At this time, Anselmo believes that there is no one better to turn the ship around than Mayor McDonough. McDonough is going to have to make some very crucial decisions in the next few weeks and months. For four years, Councilman Steve McCormick (joined a year later by his wife Councilwoman Marie McCormick) have been trying to get McDonough to change his ways. Open Government and transparency would have prevented some of the poor decisions made in the past especially those related to the Redevelopment Zone. Hopefully, Mayor McDonough will begin the process of making Harrison's government more open to public scrutiny and input. McDonough has nothing to lose and a lot to gain.

Councilman Steve McCormick and his wife Councilwoman Marie McCormick have not announced their intentions with respect to one of them running for Mayor. They have earned the right to make a bid for the Mayor's seat. Both would also be qualified to manage the town's affairs. Steve's council seat is up this year. Marie's council seat is only up next year. Marie would run for Mayor in the Primary (June) or in the General Election (November) and still retain her council seat if she was unsuccessful.

There may be other candidates who will throw their hat into the ring both for the Mayor's seat and council chairs. The next few weeks will be interesting for those who enjoy following local politics.

View the full article

I disagree completely. For years Harrison has been run more like Cuba than the U.S. Secret meetings, noon meetings on weekdays, short notice meetings, cancelled meetings, tens of millions of dollars spent with no public input, Sunshine Law totally disregarded, the public not being allowed an open forum at council meetings, cronyism, nepotism ........ get the point?

We need to break free of this Cuban form of government. Steve or Marie McCormick would be that break Harrison needs, open government free of cronyism and nepotism. It will take many years for Harrison to recover from the wild spending that's put us in such a hole, fresh blood is needed, not more of the same.

Guest Guest

View the full article

The Mayor is not going anywhere. He was under the spell of Higgins. It was not the Mayor who was calling the shots.

Now, the Mayor has a chance of winning back Harrison and maybe even a friend or two.

I will bet the ranch that Mayor McDonough will run again.

I would love to see him do the right thing by the Town and some of the people he hurt.

Guest Guest

View the full article

Is this the same Steve and Maria that declared bankruptsy after their illegal construction on their property without the proper permits? YOU'VE GOT TO BE KIDDING ME! Mayor McDonough has tried hard to undo some of the mistakes and lacadasical attitude of his predecessor (the longest tenured Mayor in the US).

View the full article

Exactly how does one "earn the right to make a bid for the Mayor's seat"? Both would be qualified to manage the town's affair? And they have demonstrated this qualification through the mismanagement of their own affairs?

Counsellor, you are are off the mark on this.

Guest BlueTideBacker
The Mayor is not going anywhere. He was under the spell of Higgins. It was not the Mayor who was calling the shots.

Now, the Mayor has a chance of winning back Harrison and maybe even a friend or two.

I would love to see him do the right thing by the Town and some of the people he hurt.

"Under the spell" !!! In other words, you're saying he has no spine, is easily manipulated, can't think for himself, is afraid to assert himself and is not a leader. Wonderful !!! Just the kind of guy I want as Mayor.

Guest BlueTideBacker
Is this the same Steve and Maria that declared bankruptsy after their illegal construction on their property without the proper permits? YOU'VE GOT TO BE KIDDING ME! Mayor McDonough has tried hard to undo some of the mistakes and lacadasical attitude of his predecessor (the longest tenured Mayor in the US).

Anyone that grew up in Harrison while Rodgers was Mayor knows you're clueless. Point out "some of the mistakes" and give me an example of Rodger's

"lackadaisical" attitude. You can't and I won't wait for them.

Guest Guest

Why would McDonough allow anyone to tell him what to do, or as you state be under the spell? I feel that a leader should be in charge of himself and have his own opinion, only weak and irrisponsible people will put themselves in a situation that he has put himself and the town in. Mcdonough has disappointed the voters and the people that counted on him to lead. He is no leader neither is my councipeople Benet and Narcimento, whom both work in the public sector, PVSC and Harrison Board of Education, HBOE is also the place that Duran, the councilman works at $220,00.00 per year. Now I hear council Jesus also work for the BOE. When does Harrison get a break in having true leadership here? why do elected people ACCEPT JOBS? this smells bad

Harrison needs new leaders, thank you

Guest Guest

We got the hotel, the JFK Stadium apartments, new two family houses all over town, the Red Bull Stadium, everything this town said would lower our taxes. Will they be lower this year? Will rents get cheaper? Is Harrison a better town now then when Mac, took over? The choice for me is simple. We need change.

Guest One who cares
We got the hotel, the JFK Stadium apartments, new two family houses all over town, the Red Bull Stadium, everything this town said would lower our taxes. Will they be lower this year? Will rents get cheaper? Is Harrison a better town now then when Mac, took over? The choice for me is simple. We need change.

The simple answer to your question is no, your taxes will probably be a little higher, not as high as all the other towns in the state. If you look at all the cuts being made by the state, Harrison fares well. Instead of receiving special municipal aid Harrison will now get transitional aid, why because of the Mayors efforts to redevelop our town. If you look at all the aid cuts, Harrison will be hit the lease. Thank you Mayor, and please finish what you started. The town needs you more then ever. Let's all thank our Governor for all his cuts, for any new tax increase. Job well done, so far.

Guest Guest

Forget lower taxes, rents and a better Harrison.

Spring has sprung in Harrison and there is a new love fest going on. Suddenly, Everybody loves Raymond.

Have amends been made to the many who were shafted by the good old party for the sake of redevelopment.

I guess some type of amends were made to some people. We will see in he future.

Guest guest

John what's going on you turncoat , you must need a job or something or you couldn't get little Ceaser ( Millan ) to run for Mayor. You and His people must be up to something !

Guest Guest
Anyone that grew up in Harrison while Rodgers was Mayor knows you're clueless. Point out "some of the mistakes" and give me an example of Rodger's

what did good ol' fer do exactly? for harrison? times were hard for him. lived it pal, guy was a hack, ran the town as if it was his to do what he wanted. the great fer - rest in pieces "the legacy" enough.

Guest Guest

While he was a good friend and deeply cared for the town and did what he thought was best for Harrison, some of his decisions caused the problems we face today. First, allowing Green Construction and others to build houses on every 25' lot they could find and townhouses on 12.5' lots (atached townhouses on Bergen and Sussex sts.). Second, by refusing to let us apply for a UEZ zone and keeping 50% of our local sales taxes for Harrison projects, like Kearny does now. This also enabled the local merchants to sell their wares with less taxes than the stores in surrounding towns, thus benefitting the stores and commercial areas (main streets) of the town! Thirdly, by ignoring the declining Industrial areas of town as the tenants moved their businesses, this caused us to be designated an "Abbot school system district" with the likes of Newark, Trenton, Elizabeth, Camden, etc. Need I continue or is this enough for you?

Our current administration is dealing with the results of some very poor decisions, in retrospect, of the previous administration. You simply cannot dispute this fact. You can try, but you'll never win!

Guest Guest
While he was a good friend and deeply cared for the town and did what he thought was best for Harrison, some of his decisions caused the problems we face today. First, allowing Green Construction and others to build houses on every 25' lot they could find and townhouses on 12.5' lots (atached townhouses on Bergen and Sussex sts.). Second, by refusing to let us apply for a UEZ zone and keeping 50% of our local sales taxes for Harrison projects, like Kearny does now. This also enabled the local merchants to sell their wares with less taxes than the stores in surrounding towns, thus benefitting the stores and commercial areas (main streets) of the town! Thirdly, by ignoring the declining Industrial areas of town as the tenants moved their businesses, this caused us to be designated an "Abbot school system district" with the likes of Newark, Trenton, Elizabeth, Camden, etc. Need I continue or is this enough for you?

Our current administration is dealing with the results of some very poor decisions, in retrospect, of the previous administration. You simply cannot dispute this fact. You can try, but you'll never win!

Keep going the sing the praises of good old Frank Rodgers. They took over his kingdom. They Pete and Ray ran it into the ground.

I'm sure Frank Rodgers had some strong words when he met Pete on the other side. I imagine it went something like this. "What the hell did you do to my Town. You ####.

Frank was above all the silly stuff. He was as honest as the day is long and he never hurt a soul !

His only mistake was to turn over Harrison to the wrong people.

Guest BlueTideBacker

Total nonsense. I owned one of Green's homes on Sussex St. While they were built a little closer than I would have preferred, to call them a "mistake" is stupid. There was no "down-side" to the lot size other than the esthetics. I was happy with the house while I lived there and I made a nice profit when I sold it.

Concerning the UEZ you have your "facts" wrong. The UEZ zone application was submitted and denied by the state, I don't know the reason behind the denial.

Thirdly, your "Abbot school system district" scenario is hilarious. If any mayor could snap his finger and prevent businesses from moving out of their towns or cities, we would not be importing all our goods fron China.

I'm sure you're on the payroll of the current administration so you're being a good little soldier by defending it, but you need to come up with some better material.

Guest Guest

View the full article

Yes, yes, you can and should quit. I would like to now who are the ass holes are who told you to run again? I have been living in this town for for almost 60 years and I don't know anyone who wants you back in. YOu have this town in bankrupsey. What do yu know about politics. You are a PLUMBER. YOu used to have Pete to tell you what to do. Now who is going to tell you Larry! What a JOKE. If you get voted in Now I will be very much suprised after what you have done to this town. It is just a GETTO! And it use to be an nice little town. You made the police and fire departments enimies. The town has no money even though I pay the highest taxes of most owns. You hired too many people at high salaries which weren't needed. So tell me Mayor, just what good have you done so I can vote you back in. I can't wait for you to ring my bell when you campaign. Just be rady for my questions! I am ready for you!

Guest Guest
Yes, yes, you can and should quit. I would like to now who are the ass holes are who told you to run again? I have been living in this town for for almost 60 years and I don't know anyone who wants you back in. YOu have this town in bankrupsey. What do yu know about politics. You are a PLUMBER. YOu used to have Pete to tell you what to do. Now who is going to tell you Larry! What a JOKE. If you get voted in Now I will be very much suprised after what you have done to this town. It is just a GETTO! And it use to be an nice little town. You made the police and fire departments enimies. The town has no money even though I pay the highest taxes of most owns. You hired too many people at high salaries which weren't needed. So tell me Mayor, just what good have you done so I can vote you back in. I can't wait for you to ring my bell when you campaign. Just be rady for my questions! I am ready for you!

I agree!!! As you can see by this almost 60 year old guest's command of spelling and grammar, even the school system was much better before McDonough became Mayor!!! I hope Superintendent Doran returns us to that Golden Age of Learning before McDonough ruins everything in this town forever!!!

Guest Guest
Total nonsense. I owned one of Green's homes on Sussex St. While they were built a little closer than I would have preferred, to call them a "mistake" is stupid. There was no "down-side" to the lot size other than the esthetics. I was happy with the house while I lived there and I made a nice profit when I sold it.

Concerning the UEZ you have your "facts" wrong. The UEZ zone application was submitted and denied by the state, I don't know the reason behind the denial.

Thirdly, your "Abbot school system district" scenario is hilarious. If any mayor could snap his finger and prevent businesses from moving out of their towns or cities, we would not be importing all our goods fron China.

I'm sure you're on the payroll of the current administration so you're being a good little soldier by defending it, but you need to come up with some better material.

The impact of Green's homes overcrowding the school system was the main problem. The UEZ zone was only applied for years after it was available, because Frank E. Rodgers would NOT ALLOW anyone to apply for it. After Kearny was succesful he saw and tried to get the designation, but the State would not give it to a town next to Kearny, my facts are straight check it out.

The Abbot district is a function of the taxes that support the school system from businesses, industry and homeowners.

The UEZ allows stores to charge 50% of the state sales tax, and then returns half of the collected taxes to benefit the town, thus keeping businesses thriving in the desigisnated areas.

Our Mayor has had a difficult time, but you'll see the redevelopment was the way to go. many towns are now looking into it. No one has control of the economy and the best timing to start these type of projects. I do not and have never worked for the town.

Guest Guest
The impact of Green's homes overcrowding the school system was the main problem. The UEZ zone was only applied for years after it was available, because Frank E. Rodgers would NOT ALLOW anyone to apply for it. After Kearny was succesful he saw and tried to get the designation, but the State would not give it to a town next to Kearny, my facts are straight check it out.

The Abbot district is a function of the taxes that support the school system from businesses, industry and homeowners.

The UEZ allows stores to charge 50% of the state sales tax, and then returns half of the collected taxes to benefit the town, thus keeping businesses thriving in the desigisnated areas.

Our Mayor has had a difficult time, but you'll see the redevelopment was the way to go. many towns are now looking into it. No one has control of the economy and the best timing to start these type of projects. I do not and have never worked for the town.

I also agree that Redevelopment is the way to go in certain areas, everyone wants a vibrant town, but this needs to be done little at a time, if you look at other towns that is what they do, take a step at a time. We have now created Blight. Amaral, Tony truck could have still been around and we would be still collecting their taxes as they were paying, now we are faced with parking lots. Exactly what we needed. The best thing to do now is renogotiate on all those sweetheart deals the Redevelopment agency negotiated with the developers and offer them an option. Many others might want to come on board to do their thing. Maybe the Amaral family could have been included in the picture and they would now have done something about that area, like creating jobs which are needed here, not apartments for rent, we have plenty of those.

Guest BlueTideBacker

If overcrowding the school system was the problem with Green's homes, then McDonough is trying to rectify that problem by allowing construction of almost a thousand new homes in the redevelopment area ?? You're not making sense.

Guest Guest
If overcrowding the school system was the problem with Green's homes, then McDonough is trying to rectify that problem by allowing construction of almost a thousand new homes in the redevelopment area ?? You're not making sense.

You are incorrect my friend, the total count should be 5,000 to 6,000 new units, for sale or most likely for rent. All you have to do is check out the new townhomes that were built where the JFK stadim was First Street, that is only phase 1 and 2. HOW MANY CHILDREN ARE GOING TO SCHOOL? wait for phase 3 and 4 of units to be completed. how much does it cost to send a child to school in Harrison? $18,000.00????? remember the taxes they are paying are called PILOT which are close to 1/2 of what anyone else is paying in Harrison, so who is contributing to that? YOU ARE MY FRIEND

Guest Guest
I disagree completely. For years Harrison has been run more like Cuba than the U.S. Secret meetings, noon meetings on weekdays, short notice meetings, cancelled meetings, tens of millions of dollars spent with no public input, Sunshine Law totally disregarded, the public not being allowed an open forum at council meetings, cronyism, nepotism ........ get the point?

We need to break free of this Cuban form of government. Steve or Marie McCormick would be that break Harrison needs, open government free of cronyism and nepotism. It will take many years for Harrison to recover from the wild spending that's put us in such a hole, fresh blood is needed, not more of the same.

And now the Mayor is back in the race and he brings Napoleon, or some might call him "my people" into the race again, what is he going to do this time? He was there already and all he did is get himself a Job like all the others. What will change? How will Harrison greet this little Castro.

Guest Guest

This time it's more like 6,000 to 7,000 apartments in combination with commercial properties (stores and or offices). The Planning Board wisely limited these apartments to one and two bedrooms not the three and four (counting the "den") Green and others built, thus the school system would only have a minimal impact if any at all. Does this make sense to you?

Guest 2smart4u
This time it's more like 6,000 to 7,000 apartments in combination with commercial properties (stores and or offices). The Planning Board wisely limited these apartments to one and two bedrooms not the three and four (counting the "den") Green and others built, thus the school system would only have a minimal impact if any at all. Does this make sense to you?

The two-family house I owned on Sussex St. had 2 bedrooms up and down, as were most Green homes. Did you ever hear of bunk beds? What's to stop

anyone from putting two sets of bunk beds in a single bedroom if they have four kids? Answer: Nada.

The worse thing McDonough could have done is what he did. By allowing 7,000 apartments (your words) in this town, he has destroyed whatever quality of life we had. No grass for the kids, no parks, not even a place to fly a kite, only thousands of kids that will overcrowd our schools and overtax our municipal services.

Before any of this redevelopment began, Harrison should have hired a professional planner to lay out a vision of a sensible mixture of housing , commercial and green space. The developers were allowed to cram as many housing units as could possibly fit with no consideration to the town residents. The developers don't live in Harrison, do you think they cared about green space, they don't make money in planting grass.

Keep coming up with these weak, bogus arguments and I'll keep exposing the falacy of them.