POSSIBLE pension reforms

Guest EBENEZZER

Guest Guest
What happened to your democratic mantra of pay "your fair share". You don't want to pay anything, just sit on your ass and let the people who worked hard to become successful pay your share. Go out and earn some money so you can pay something and stop looking for a handout.

another clown who doesn't get the fact that the hardest working sector of the population is the struggling (always) middle class. talk about a fair and equitable distribution of the "share". hard working and so successful at managing quality family life in trying times that they're rewarded with a ratio of income to tax responsibility that is definitely on par with the "bullied" 5 % right?

after all, once you've escaped the life of sustenance through handouts you should be allowed the largest one of all.

i got mine - screw you. and everybody wonders why this world is suffering through tough economic times.

Guest Taxpaying Democrat
WHY.

You'll have to ask the Democrat controlled legislature that question. They could have extended this tax last year but chose not to.

Guest Guest

Tax the dang wealthy!! They caused the problem and their still living high off the American hog, sending their kids to private schools and building mansions! They ripped off the country and they have no pain. Their still getting their multi-million dollar bonuses. Stop trying to balance the budget on the backs of the middle-class! Tax the wealthy 80%. They owe us 10 years of lucrative tax cuts. Maybe then in the future they will think twice about robbing the country blind.

Guest Guest
Tax the dang wealthy!! They caused the problem and their still living high off the American hog, sending their kids to private schools and building mansions! They ripped off the country and they have no pain. Their still getting their multi-million dollar bonuses. Stop trying to balance the budget on the backs of the middle-class! Tax the wealthy 80%. They owe us 10 years of lucrative tax cuts. Maybe then in the future they will think twice about robbing the country blind.

If you want someone else to pay your bills, get a tin cup.

Guest LEROY MORS
If you want someone else to pay your bills, get a tin cup.

the tin cup will be yours.

It's amazing how much bull the public will endure and how little truth is believed.

1 - the local education associations (the teachers) were told by the NJEA to not open their contracts. Doing this will allow Christie to dismantle the contracts. Teachers are NOT against salary freezes, but doing so requires opening the contracts and they can't do it. It is a likely scenario that when new contracts are negotiated, most local EAs will be open to cost-cutting measures in exchange for keeping jobs. It is just not something they can do now. ANYONE who has signed a contract (for a house, a car lease, etc.) knows that they cannot be renegotiated.

2. More than 70% of EAs pay a portion of their health coverage, from 1% to a 50/50 split.

3. Teachers don't receive commissions, bonuses, overtime or time and a half for their work - their salaries are tied into the contracts, which average about 3% a year. If you are a salesperson, manager, director, construction worker or police officer, you make more than a teacher and have more control over your income than they do.

4. Christie was not supported by the NJEA for his election bid, so he is targeting them because...well, they are easy targets. Teachers are vilified in this state and the leader of the lynch mob was elected.

5. Christie is a coward. He is cutting police, fire and ems budgets as well, but he is going to let the local mayors handle it because he is a bully. If he directly said that police, fire and ems would be cut, his own troopers would probably shoot him.

There can be no doubt that this fiscal problem was started by previous administrations - none at all. But unless the budget cuts are fair and equitable - teachers, politicians, police, fire, ems, keeping the surcharge on people who make over $400,000 a year, etc. - then no one can support this.

If Christie wanted to make real change, instead of just waving a stick, he would go after the health care issue and investigate why it costs $8,000 a year to provide a teacher with health insurance. In the pharma capital of the world, it is ridiculous that public employees and taxpayers have to put up with this ridiculous expense. But doing this would require real work and would need a real leader - Christie is lazy and is no leader for NJ.

Guest guest
the tin cup will be yours.

It's amazing how much bull the public will endure and how little truth is believed.

1 - the local education associations (the teachers) were told by the NJEA to not open their contracts. Doing this will allow Christie to dismantle the contracts. Teachers are NOT against salary freezes, but doing so requires opening the contracts and they can't do it. It is a likely scenario that when new contracts are negotiated, most local EAs will be open to cost-cutting measures in exchange for keeping jobs. It is just not something they can do now. ANYONE who has signed a contract (for a house, a car lease, etc.) knows that they cannot be renegotiated.

2. More than 70% of EAs pay a portion of their health coverage, from 1% to a 50/50 split.

3. Teachers don't receive commissions, bonuses, overtime or time and a half for their work - their salaries are tied into the contracts, which average about 3% a year. If you are a salesperson, manager, director, construction worker or police officer, you make more than a teacher and have more control over your income than they do.

4. Christie was not supported by the NJEA for his election bid, so he is targeting them because...well, they are easy targets. Teachers are vilified in this state and the leader of the lynch mob was elected.

5. Christie is a coward. He is cutting police, fire and ems budgets as well, but he is going to let the local mayors handle it because he is a bully. If he directly said that police, fire and ems would be cut, his own troopers would probably shoot him.

There can be no doubt that this fiscal problem was started by previous administrations - none at all. But unless the budget cuts are fair and equitable - teachers, politicians, police, fire, ems, keeping the surcharge on people who make over $400,000 a year, etc. - then no one can support this.

If Christie wanted to make real change, instead of just waving a stick, he would go after the health care issue and investigate why it costs $8,000 a year to provide a teacher with health insurance. In the pharma capital of the world, it is ridiculous that public employees and taxpayers have to put up with this ridiculous expense. But doing this would require real work and would need a real leader - Christie is lazy and is no leader for NJ.

The cost for health insurance for teachers is more like $20,000 per year, and for you to even say a trooper would shoot anyone without a threat to human like is crazy. Please tell me you do not teach in Harrison

Guest Guest
WOW you pay 5.5%?? The Police and Fire Depts. pay 8.5% thats right 8.5% I agree with you that the pension funds have been raided by these POLITICAL SCUM$AGS.. But there is a ton of waste in the SCHOOL SYSTEM!!!!! and of course all of the crazy NEPOTISM of the NEW hirings there....Lets get real and when you start paying the other 3% like I do, Stop complaining.....

Actually, as a public school teacher, I pay 6% of my salary toward my pension. I have since I started teaching in 1984. As you can see, more than 25 years have passed and I'm still paying toward my pension. Because, you see, unlike the police, I can't retire with a full pension with just 25 years on the job. Until Christi changes it, right now I have to be at least 55, with 25 years on the job. Since I was 21 when I started, I will have paid into the pension system (which possibly won't be there) for at least 34 years. With Christi's help, I'll more likely be at least 60 before I can consider retirement.

So, if I am allowed to retire today with a full pension after 26 years, I'll gladly go back and pay the other 2% and hand in my papers today.

And please, don't tell me your a Harrison Cop and you're complaining about the nepotism in the school system in Harrison - Pot meet Kettle!

Guest teacher

Dear Governor Christie,

I am aware that you will most likely not personally read this letter, as I am sure you have plenty of well paid staff to handle that arduous task for you. That, however, will not stop me from voicing my opinion. Your hypocrisy is despicable. As you ask the working to middle class teachers of this state to “tighten our belts” I also wonder why you have not done the same. Why do you fly around on a chopper paid for by OUR taxpayers’ money? Why do you work for the highest possible salary allowed for your position? Why doesn’t your new budget call for a pay freeze for you and your cohorts? Why don’t you contribute towards your health benefits? Well, I have the answer. You are a pompous, egotistical, callous fascist who lied his way into office. You think the public is too far below you to catch on to your shrewd, scapegoat tactics. You would also love to demolish public education in favor of charter schools. You would love to broaden the gap between the ‘haves’ and ‘have nots.’ You are a divisive, disrespectful, classless bully.

Using teachers and children as pawns for your own political gain is the lowest of the low and, in my opinion, abusive. I do understand that public education means nothing to you and that you have no faith in the hard work that goes on in public schools. If you did, you wouldn’t be paying for your own children to attend private schools. Oh, how lovely it must be to rape the entire public school system and not have to worry about it ever affecting your family. How simple- minded you are to attempt to pit the public against the most selfless, caring, and hardworking professionals our state has to offer. I love children and I believe in their futures. You love yourself and believe in ignorance. You are in fact banking on the public’s ignorance in order to benefit your personal agendas.

You must have very little faith in your own abilities as governor if you must resort to lying to the public about teachers. I do recognize your distraction techniques. I have seen them before. As a teacher, I often encounter such shoddy attempts at clouding the issue at hand when children make excuses for not having their homework done. Well, Chris Christie, the teachers did not eat your homework. Why don’t you just tell the public the truth? It is not the teachers who have bankrupted the state. Years of reckless spending and borrowing (from our pensions, might I add) and short- sighted politicians such as yourself, have single handedly robbed this state blind. There is no hidden money in our profession. We DON’T DOUBLE DIP. We don’t get PAID OVERTIME. We don’t FLY TO WORK ON HELICOPTERS. We do NOT EARN WITHIN THE TOP ONE PERCENT. Keep stealing from the future of New Jersey’s youth and you will see that ignorance is far more costly than the debt that we already know.

In a recent televised speech, you stated that you did not want to be known as the governor who didn’t make a difference. Well, you are certainly making quick work out of alienating the entire state. And, if it all goes as you have planned, you will certainly hold a legacy. You personally will have ruined the lives and futures of our children. Your legacy will be that of the evil governor who stole opportunity from the most fragile members of our society. You will be the man responsible for failing test scores and neglected students. Hopefully, after you are done with New Jersey, there will be enough money left in education to purchase the new Social Studies books that will highlight your strong-armed fascist politics. You and Mussolini can share a chapter. Children can read and learn about rotten, tactless, hateful politicians with personal agendas and no redeeming qualities.

What you don’t seem to recognize, Chris Christie, is that most intelligent people understand the value of an excellent education. The public knows how well we teachers in this state do our jobs. They support us. You underestimate New Jersey, and the people who live here, when you spew such misguided and ignorant hatred towards teachers. You only make yourself look worse. Teaching is at the CENTER OF EVERYTHING. The public knows how well our schools run. That is why people live here, in New Jersey, you silly man. That is why your attempts at vilifying us teachers will never work.

I invite you, Chris Christie, to come into my classroom. Do my job as well as I do. Scramble to put together interactive and differentiated lessons for every single period of the day. Follow Individualized Education Plans for special needs students in a mainstream setting as seamlessly as I do. Come to my Intervention and Referral Services meetings. Attend Back to School Night. Tell a crying student they will survive the TAUNTS OF A BULLY. You tell the children why some of their favorite teachers are no longer employed. Explain why there will not be an afterschool math club. Tell these children that their education is PRICELESS and that THEY COUNT. Reach into your pocket to buy supplies the district cannot afford. Reach every student and change their lives. Become a teacher.

Oh….wait. That would mean foregoing your helicopter rides, generous salary, and lobster dinners. And those private school tuitions for your children would have to go, as well. Thank goodness you can afford that privilege, so that your children don’t have to slum it with the rest of us common folk in the public sector. How nice it must be to sit at the top, with all of you minions who are too afraid of you to speak out against you. Enjoy your reign while it lasts, and best of luck getting re-elected

Guest Guest
Dear Governor Christie,

I am aware that you will most likely not personally read this letter, as I am sure you have plenty of well paid staff to handle that arduous task for you. That, however, will not stop me from voicing my opinion. Your hypocrisy is despicable. As you ask the working to middle class teachers of this state to “tighten our belts” I also wonder why you have not done the same. Why do you fly around on a chopper paid for by OUR taxpayers’ money? Why do you work for the highest possible salary allowed for your position? Why doesn’t your new budget call for a pay freeze for you and your cohorts? Why don’t you contribute towards your health benefits? Well, I have the answer. You are a pompous, egotistical, callous fascist who lied his way into office. You think the public is too far below you to catch on to your shrewd, scapegoat tactics. You would also love to demolish public education in favor of charter schools. You would love to broaden the gap between the ‘haves’ and ‘have nots.’ You are a divisive, disrespectful, classless bully.

Using teachers and children as pawns for your own political gain is the lowest of the low and, in my opinion, abusive. I do understand that public education means nothing to you and that you have no faith in the hard work that goes on in public schools. If you did, you wouldn’t be paying for your own children to attend private schools. Oh, how lovely it must be to rape the entire public school system and not have to worry about it ever affecting your family. How simple- minded you are to attempt to pit the public against the most selfless, caring, and hardworking professionals our state has to offer. I love children and I believe in their futures. You love yourself and believe in ignorance. You are in fact banking on the public’s ignorance in order to benefit your personal agendas.

You must have very little faith in your own abilities as governor if you must resort to lying to the public about teachers. I do recognize your distraction techniques. I have seen them before. As a teacher, I often encounter such shoddy attempts at clouding the issue at hand when children make excuses for not having their homework done. Well, Chris Christie, the teachers did not eat your homework. Why don’t you just tell the public the truth? It is not the teachers who have bankrupted the state. Years of reckless spending and borrowing (from our pensions, might I add) and short- sighted politicians such as yourself, have single handedly robbed this state blind. There is no hidden money in our profession. We DON’T DOUBLE DIP. We don’t get PAID OVERTIME. We don’t FLY TO WORK ON HELICOPTERS. We do NOT EARN WITHIN THE TOP ONE PERCENT. Keep stealing from the future of New Jersey’s youth and you will see that ignorance is far more costly than the debt that we already know.

In a recent televised speech, you stated that you did not want to be known as the governor who didn’t make a difference. Well, you are certainly making quick work out of alienating the entire state. And, if it all goes as you have planned, you will certainly hold a legacy. You personally will have ruined the lives and futures of our children. Your legacy will be that of the evil governor who stole opportunity from the most fragile members of our society. You will be the man responsible for failing test scores and neglected students. Hopefully, after you are done with New Jersey, there will be enough money left in education to purchase the new Social Studies books that will highlight your strong-armed fascist politics. You and Mussolini can share a chapter. Children can read and learn about rotten, tactless, hateful politicians with personal agendas and no redeeming qualities.

What you don’t seem to recognize, Chris Christie, is that most intelligent people understand the value of an excellent education. The public knows how well we teachers in this state do our jobs. They support us. You underestimate New Jersey, and the people who live here, when you spew such misguided and ignorant hatred towards teachers. You only make yourself look worse. Teaching is at the CENTER OF EVERYTHING. The public knows how well our schools run. That is why people live here, in New Jersey, you silly man. That is why your attempts at vilifying us teachers will never work.

I invite you, Chris Christie, to come into my classroom. Do my job as well as I do. Scramble to put together interactive and differentiated lessons for every single period of the day. Follow Individualized Education Plans for special needs students in a mainstream setting as seamlessly as I do. Come to my Intervention and Referral Services meetings. Attend Back to School Night. Tell a crying student they will survive the TAUNTS OF A BULLY. You tell the children why some of their favorite teachers are no longer employed. Explain why there will not be an afterschool math club. Tell these children that their education is PRICELESS and that THEY COUNT. Reach into your pocket to buy supplies the district cannot afford. Reach every student and change their lives. Become a teacher.

Oh….wait. That would mean foregoing your helicopter rides, generous salary, and lobster dinners. And those private school tuitions for your children would have to go, as well. Thank goodness you can afford that privilege, so that your children don’t have to slum it with the rest of us common folk in the public sector. How nice it must be to sit at the top, with all of you minions who are too afraid of you to speak out against you. Enjoy your reign while it lasts, and best of luck getting re-elected

Excellent letter, my friend!!! I hope indeed that you sent it to the Governor's Office.

What you should do is give a copy of it to Superintendent Doran so that he might forward it from his office to Trenton. That way it might get noticed.

But with teachers like yourself, the future of our kids here in Harrison looks much brighter!!!

Guest LEROY MORS

It is so sad that so many people are eager to make hateful comments about teachers. People seem to assume that teachers have an easy job to do. Teachers are responsible for educating the youth of this state. These are your children, your neighbors' children, your friends' children. This is an enormous responsibility and by no means an easy job. Teachers are educated professionals often with advanced degrees who work very hard. It is unfair for the Governor and others to blame the teachers and their union for bankrupting the state. There are so many reasons for the fiscal situation in New Jersey, but it is hardly the sole fault of the teacher's union of this state. All public workers in this state receive health benefits and pensions not just teachers. Let's be reminded that workers also contribute to their pensions just like private sector employees contribute to their own retirement funds. While the state has promised to contribute a portion, let's not forget they have not met their obligation in many years. It is very unfair how the Governor has portrayed the teachers. When he pulled millions of dollars of funding to districts he forced the lay-offs of teachers. Even with re-negotiated contracts, many districts would still be forced to lay off teachers. Trenton had to close three schools. Blaming teachers for the situation in this state is very unfair. Remember many of you were educated in New Jersey's public schools. Show respect to the educators of this state as they are responsible for raising our youth.

Guest had enough of your crying

quit your complaing and get a real job, you babbies have been spoiled and protected all your lives, go out in the real world and see how difficult everyone else has it, I would like to work 180 days a year like you, your job is so hard , you all should be ashamed of youselves. Look at the product that is comming out of our school system, a real good job you all are doing. Maybe when you pick up your paychecks you should all wear bandit masks.

Guest LEROY MORS

TEACHERS AND OTHER PUBLIC EMPLOYEES SHOULD NOT GIVE CHRISTIE A DIME IN THE FORM OF "SHARED SACRIFICE" UNTIL HE REINSTATES THE SURTAX ON THOSE EARNING OVER $400,000 (IN FACT IT SHOULD KICK-IN AT $200,000). WHY SHOULD THOSE WITH SO LITTLE BE ASKED TO SACRIFICE SO MUCH BY THIS GOVERNOR WHILE THOSE WITH SO MUCH BE ASKED FOR NO ADDITIONAL SACRIFICE?

If Cristie really wants "shared sacrifice" beyond the normal sacrifice people endure in this state on a daily basis, let him get those making over $400,000 to share something extra. What is their shared additional sacrifice? I don't want to hear that they already pay 40% of the income tax because that statement is meaningless unless it is related to the percentage of the family income they account for in NJ. I would also like to know what percentage of the personal wealth in NJ these people he is protecting control.

Measuring sacrifice in terms of dollars given up is relevant to how much you have to begin with. A poor or middle income person who is asked to sacrifice $1,000 or $2,000 by paying higher bus and train fares, higher state college tuition or taking a pay freeze is clearly making a far greater sacrifice than someone who has income of $400,000 and is asked to pay $8,000 in the form of a 2% income tax surtax. The $2,000 additional sacrifice taken from a poor or middle income person in NJ who is barely paying his bills and has no financial cushion will cause that person's family tremendous hardship. The hardship for that poor or middle class family who does not have a dime to spare is far greater than any hardship endured by a family living on $400,000 and who is asked to sacrifice $8,000 in the form of a 2% surtax.

Guest Guest
Dear Governor Christie,

Oh please, we have a superintendent that makes fifty thousand more than the governor, and a politician janitor who make a $100,000 a year. Most teachers at top pay are making over a $100,000 a year. We have after school programs that are paying teacher pay for babysitting sitting services. We have a free breakfast program, lunch program, and we let the kids take leftovers home. Ill bet the vender is making a fortune. We are sending Board of Ed members all over the country for conventions. As soon as someone asks, what the hell is going on here, we get the cry that you are destroying our education system and hurting the kids. We have a school where if kids can't make it in class, we start a class where the kids can read about Dick and Jane, and call the high school class remedial. There is more than enough money to educate the kids, but there is never enough to pay superintendents, janitors, and even teachers. Tell me about your dedication when you are making more than $90,000, a year. Take your sob story and go on Dr. Phil's. Get the politicians out of our school system.

Guest Guest
TEACHERS AND OTHER PUBLIC EMPLOYEES SHOULD NOT GIVE CHRISTIE A DIME IN THE FORM OF "SHARED SACRIFICE" UNTIL HE REINSTATES THE SURTAX ON THOSE EARNING OVER $400,000 (IN FACT IT SHOULD KICK-IN AT $200,000). WHY SHOULD THOSE WITH SO LITTLE BE ASKED TO SACRIFICE SO MUCH BY THIS GOVERNOR WHILE THOSE WITH SO MUCH BE ASKED FOR NO ADDITIONAL SACRIFICE?

If Cristie really wants "shared sacrifice" beyond the normal sacrifice people endure in this state on a daily basis, let him get those making over $400,000 to share something extra. What is their shared additional sacrifice? I don't want to hear that they already pay 40% of the income tax because that statement is meaningless unless it is related to the percentage of the family income they account for in NJ. I would also like to know what percentage of the personal wealth in NJ these people he is protecting control.

Measuring sacrifice in terms of dollars given up is relevant to how much you have to begin with. A poor or middle income person who is asked to sacrifice $1,000 or $2,000 by paying higher bus and train fares, higher state college tuition or taking a pay freeze is clearly making a far greater sacrifice than someone who has income of $400,000 and is asked to pay $8,000 in the form of a 2% income tax surtax. The $2,000 additional sacrifice taken from a poor or middle income person in NJ who is barely paying his bills and has no financial cushion will cause that person's family tremendous hardship. The hardship for that poor or middle class family who does not have a dime to spare is far greater than any hardship endured by a family living on $400,000 and who is asked to sacrifice $8,000 in the form of a 2% surtax.

That's right, pay the taxes on the back of people who worked to become successful. Pay your fair share and stop waiting for others to pay your bills. You would be a successful bum, let others support you. The world ows you a living, right?

Guest Guest

Well, Chris Christi has managed to do one thing in his short term as our governor - he has the working middle class at each others' throats. Instead of the focus being on him and his short sighted, anger-inspired cuts to municipalities in the form of education cuts, we are accusing each other of causing this problem. The seniors didn't cause the problem, why are they being punished with a rise in their prescription costs and loss of tax rebates? The teachers didn't cause the problem, why have they had the collective bargaining rights stolen from them and all the blame (for now) put upon them? The police and the fire departments didn't cause the problems, but I suspect they are next on the chopping block for this angry governor. Wall St., greedy real estate and mortgage companies, in other words the wealthiest citizens... caused it and unless the working middle class comes together to fight for a solution that doesn't come out of our pockets, Chris Christi and the wealthiest citizens win.

Guest Ok I'll bite...
Christie dosen't get $250,000 from Harrison's property tax.

WHO does pay Christie's salary, police protection, travel, housing, food?