Passaic Valley, "home of the greedy"

Guest Guest

Guest guest
[/quote The former head of PVS made $313,000 a year. You call his replacement greedy because he is a friend of Christe's?What is your problem? I simply inguired how much he makes. Read the post again. I did not "label" him. I just want to know how much he makes. I'm absolutely sure it's less than Davenport. As a matter of fact, Davenport was a democrat. He didn't make that $313,000.00 for long. He knew that when the Republican Gov. was elected that he would vacate the premises to a Republican replacement. That's how the political game is played. Try to keep up. It's primary politics 101.

Davenport was there for 6 years. You think a $300,000 a year (averaged over those 6 years) is not long? Wow, you've got to be kidding me.

Dude, how can you say it's still a "political game" with Governor Christie in office? Don't you ready the papers?

Davenport wasn't the last executive director at the valley. get your info straight before you post. People are confused enough without your posting bad info here.

Guest guest
Davenport wasn't the last executive director at the valley. get your info straight before you post. People are confused enough without your posting bad info here.

Well, it looks like we're getting closer: Davenport - $300,000.00; Christiansen - $313,000. HOW ABOUT FOREST??

No people are not confused. They get that Christiansen getting 313,000 a year was wrong. They get that Davenport (Exec Director from 1994 to 2005) maxing out at 300,000 a year, now getting a 150,000 a year pension and hiring his son at more than 100 a year, is wrong. They want the Governor to make it right.

Here's a solution. PRIVATIZE PVSC. All of it.

Guest Guest
No people are not confused. They get that Christiansen getting 313,000 a year was wrong. They get that Davenport (Exec Director from 1994 to 2005) maxing out at 300,000 a year, now getting a 150,000 a year pension and hiring his son at more than 100 a year, is wrong. They want the Governor to make it right.

Here's a solution. PRIVATIZE PVSC. All of it.

Unfortunately, Christie can't privatize it without his own brand of politics. When he was US attorney he had an opportunity to appoint an overseer of the UMDNJ and he chose to give a $52 million dollar no bid contract to his old law firm which is run by John Ashcroft who appaointed him US attorney (pay to play). Privatizing it would allow him to give another million(billion?) dollar long term contract to perhaps Halliburton? Don't see the improvement.

• 2 weeks later...
Unfortunately, Christie can't privatize it without his own brand of politics. When he was US attorney he had an opportunity to appoint an overseer of the UMDNJ and he chose to give a $52 million dollar no bid contract to his old law firm which is run by John Ashcroft who appaointed him US attorney (pay to play). Privatizing it would allow him to give another million(billion?) dollar long term contract to perhaps Halliburton? Don't see the improvement.

Sooooooooooooooo, still waiting . . . anyone know how much Forest is ringing in at? I don't think he's working for free, now is he?

While we're on this topic, how much do the Commissioners make, both in compensation and in benefits? I know they have a BIG expense account.

While we're on this topic, how much do the Commissioners make, both in compensation and in benefits? I know they have a BIG expense account.

Wasn't that commissioner in the Housing a commissioner at Passaic Valley? Why did she get bounced out of there? Was it because of the trouble she was in with that Law Firm in

Essex County? Seems like she causes trouble whereever she goes. Looks like they got rid of the wrong person at the Housing Authority. What are all these PVSC peope in cahoots, or what? Three of the fearsome four work down there. Something is smelling mighty rotten from that direction, and it's not being caused by the daily crap.

Trust me....I believe you and so does everyone else.....

Not everyone believes that...trust me! I personally know a man that is a very skilled and educated man. He has his job because of his knowledge and own merits.

Not everyone believes that...trust me! I personally know a man that is a very skilled and educated man. He has his job because of his knowledge and own merits.

Well then tell us who he is. Maybe we can convince him to run for Mayor!

Tell us who he is, maybe we can convince him to run for Mayor.

• 3 weeks later...

It doesn't matter how much Forest was hired at because it seems that he's already asking or receiving a raise. How's that Gov. now? Still think he's going to save NJ? Oh, he's saving it alright. . . for all of his rich Republican cronys!

Guest Inquiring Mind

"AS YOU SAID"Inquiring Mind

June Forrest is Assistant Legal Counsel for the Governor. She previously served as a Deputy Attorney General. She's a graduate of Rutgers University School of Law.

THE QUESTION ARISES WHAT IS SHE DOING .

APPOINTMENTS COORINATOR IN CHRISTIE'S OFFICE@ 126,000.? SHE MUST REALLY S**K IN THE LEGAL AREA.

her education and backround must preclude her from having a conscience.126.

i smell some bullshit in trenton.yeah ,but it won't raise taxes.

SAME AS IT EVER WAS

AND THE DAYS GO BYE

Hey D. Byrne, Rev up "Burning Down the [PVSC] House" because here it comes:

Sources confirm that the state Attorney General's Office this week dropped subpoenas on the Passaic Valley Sewerage Commission - targeting several commission employees.

Observers could see the build up.

Newly sworn into office, Gov. Chris Christie earlier this year called out the authority's then-director, Bryan Christiansen, as a living example of government waste. Embarrassed with an annual salary of $313,000, Christiansen subsequently resigned.

Signaling the start of tougher scrutiny, Christie brought in Wayne Forrest, a former Somerset County prosecutor, to serve as executive director of the mammoth commission with over 600 employees, which serves municipalities in Passaic, Bergen, Essex and Hudson counties.

"It's nothing sexy," one source said in reference to this week's subpoenas, but at least two others said the lower level targets could spark the beginning of a bigger, more explosive probe of the operation.

Looking close range at past practices once he started his new job earlier this summer, Forrest started asking questions.

His concerns included at least one politically connected employee going from an $80,000 to $180,000 salary in five years, and personal use of sewerage authority supply equipment, sources said.

• 4 months later...
Guest Inquiring Mind

Glorified secretary? June Forrest is Assistant Legal Counsel for the Governor. She previously served as a Deputy Attorney General. She's a graduate of Rutgers University School of Law.

The Governor by tradition appoints the Executive Director of PVSC. No salary is set yet but I can assure you it will be significantly less than Davenport.

I too like David Byrne/Talking Heads. Let me quote, Burning Down the House, which is right on for what's going to happen at PVSC:

Hold tight wait 'til the party's over

Hold tight we're in for nasty weather

There has got to be a way

Burning down the house

Here's your ticket pack your bag; time for jumpin' overboard

Transportation is here

Close enough but not too far, maybe you know where you are

Fightin' fire with fire

All wet yeah you might need a raincoat

Shakedown thieves walking in broad daylight

Three hundred sixty five degrees

Burning down the house

It was once upon a place sometimes I listen to myself

Gonna come in first place

People on their way to work say baby what did you expect

Gonna burst into flame

Three Alarm Fire!! Like the Talking Heads song, it's bursting into flame! All the family and friend hires and salary raises are coming to light. All of them. You can resign or retire from the PVSC, but you won't be able to hide.

Cue it up, cue it up, baby, "Burning down the house...

Guest Inquiring Mind

More 2008 salaries:

BENNETT LAURENCE PASSAIC VALLEY SEWERAGE COMM $94,676 $100,676 Public Employees Retirement System

VILLALTA VICTOR PASSAIC VALLEY SEWERAGE COMM $41,860 $41,860 Public Employees Retirement System

VILLALTA VICTOR PASSAIC VALLEY SEWERAGE COMM $56,599 $56,599 Public Employees Retirement System

PETTIGREW ARTHUR PASSAIC VALLEY SEWERAGE COMM $90,896 $90,896 Public Employees Retirement System

MANDAGLIO ROCCO PASSAIC VALLEY SEWERAGE COMM $62,604 $62,604 Public Employees Retirement System

It's a full blown three alarm fire. You can resign or retire, but you can't hide. It's all coming out. In honor of David Byrne of the Talking Heads, "Hold tight..."

Guest Follow Up

More 2008 salaries:

BENNETT LAURENCE PASSAIC VALLEY SEWERAGE COMM $94,676 $100,676 Public Employees Retirement System

VILLALTA VICTOR PASSAIC VALLEY SEWERAGE COMM $41,860 $41,860 Public Employees Retirement System

VILLALTA VICTOR PASSAIC VALLEY SEWERAGE COMM $56,599 $56,599 Public Employees Retirement System

PETTIGREW ARTHUR PASSAIC VALLEY SEWERAGE COMM $90,896 $90,896 Public Employees Retirement System

MANDAGLIO ROCCO PASSAIC VALLEY SEWERAGE COMM $62,604 $62,604 Public Employees Retirement System

Who's on the list of over 100 employees who have to take pay cuts? Any of the above?

• 1 year later...
Guest David Byrne

How the times have changed:

In the year and a half since Governor Christie seized control of the Passaic Valley Sewerage Commission, the agency’s workforce has shrunk by nearly 200 jobs, its budget has been slashed and rates to homeowners have been cut.

Declaring a “state of emergency” for the PVSC early in 2011, the governor purged its board of all but one member. Criminal investigations that followed led to the arrests of four top managers, each now facing charges of using agency workers to do private jobs. Since the state takeover, the PVSC’s payroll has been reduced by 195 jobs, from 685 employees to 490. Yet amid the changes, the work of processing the 300 million gallons of wastewater generated daily by North Jersey households goes on unimpeded, agency officials say.

Although Christie’s takeover of the PVSC could be considered a success, state lawmakers are reluctant to grant him more power over the agency, and the governor’s nominees to the board haven’t been acted upon by the Democrats who lead the state Senate. Deep reductions in the workforce allowed the PVSC to cut its budget by $3 million and reduce sewer rates by 2 percent to its 48 municipalities in Bergen, Passaic, Essex, Hudson and Union counties.

“We’ve reduced our budget and our rates, and that’s obviously good for the ratepayers. But we still have more to do,” said Wayne Forrest, the former Somerset County prosecutor who was appointed by Christie to root out corruption and slash a payroll that was bloated by years of political patronage.

Since Forrest took over in July 2010, the PVSC’s workforce has been reduced largely by rooting out no-show and “low-show” jobs that made the sewer authority a political dumping ground. Of the 195 reductions, there have been 111 terminations, 61 retirements, 21 resignations and two deaths, according to the PVSC. The salaries of all employees making more than $175,000 have been slashed, and contracts that used to be doled out as patronage are now subject to competitive bidding, Forrest said.

When he launched his attack, Christie likened the PVSC to “pigs feeding at the trough” and said the agency was one of the worst examples of what he termed a “shadow government” that operates in New Jersey: the approximately 600 appointed boards, commissions and regional authorities that each year spend billions of dollars in public money but operate outside executive or legislative oversight and are hard to hold accountable.