* Solemn Applause For Pay Increases

JohnPinho

The Mayor & Council passed a Salary Ordinance tonight which provided retroactive pay increases for years 2007, 2008 and 2009 but froze Civil Service worker's salaries for 2010 and 2011. A large crowd filled the council chambers.

A moment of silence was observed in memory of Peter Higgins. The Holy Cross Church bells began ringing as Mayor McDonough finished announcing the moment of silence as if on cue. Pete wanted us to know he was present in the council chambers once again.

Pete's sister Harrison's Chief Financial Officer, Beth Higgins, stated that the money to pay the retro pay increases was in reserve and had been in reserve in anticipation of a possible future settlement. Good news. Although I am of the opinion that the Town cannot afford any pay increases even retro increases, I am pleased that the retro pay increases will not add to the future tax burden of Harrison's taxpayers. In addition, I am pleased that there were will be no pay increases in 2010 and 2011.

At the end of the meeting, there was a show of approval for the Mayor & Council's passage of the salary increase. Town workers will be receiving a retro check in the very near future and expressed their approval with a burst of applause.

The applause was subdued by rumors that some of the town's workers are scheduled to be laid off. Harrison is about to be hit by a huge budget shortfall forcing the hand of Mayor McDonough's administration. Layoffs are unheard of in the Town of Harrison but they will undoubtedly be necessary in the face of a State budget shortfall and the unlikelihood that the Christie administration is going to restore 5 million dollars in state aid pulled by Governor Jon Corzine.

An incident that occurred in front of Town Hall after the meeting demonstrates the level of frustration that taxpayers are experiencing. While Town Workers are receiving retro pay increases, taxpayers are trying to figure out how to pay their ever increasing property taxes in the face of job loses. Town workers should be sensitive to their fellow Harrisonian's plight. One resident got loud expressing his disapproval of town worker pay increases. As expected, a town worker responded back. Although calmer heads prevailed to defuse the confrontation, Harrison Police officers stood by to make sure that the peace was maintained. As one resident pointed out this is not a fight between us and them, it is a fight for the survival of every Harrisonian. True. It is easier to have a clear mind when you know that you have a weekly paycheck. It is harder to think clearly when your weekly paycheck has been cut off and others are getting retro active pay increases. I condone any physical confrontation. Martin Luther King, Jr. would have been proud of those who stepped in to defuse the confrontation on his official birthday.

The weeks and months to come will test the resolve of all Harrisonians. Our political leaders must get together and put together a plan on how to weather the economic storm facing the town. Town workers must do their best to assist. Every interaction with town residents is going to matter. Town workers should be thankful for all that has been given them. It is significant.

I plan on being part of the solution. I ask that the good citizens of Harrison join the effort. It is your Harrison, it's up to you to make a difference.

View the full article

"quote"

I condone any physical confrontation. Martin Luther King, Jr. would have been proud of those who stepped in to defuse the confrontation on his official birthday.

you CONDONE any ??.....WTF.

YOU ARE STILL A SHI*HOUSE LAWYER LIKE WE THOUGHT YOUR WERE.

IF YOU THINK YOUR VOICE COUNTS , MOVE YOURSELF AND YOUR FAMILY BACK TO HARRISON.

IF NOT YOUR JUST BORAT.

Guest BlueTideBacker
"quote"

I condone any physical confrontation. Martin Luther King, Jr. would have been proud of those who stepped in to defuse the confrontation on his official birthday.

you CONDONE any ??.....WTF.

YOU ARE STILL A SHI*HOUSE LAWYER LIKE WE THOUGHT YOUR WERE.

IF YOU THINK YOUR VOICE COUNTS , MOVE YOURSELF AND YOUR FAMILY BACK TO HARRISON.

IF NOT YOUR JUST BORAT.

You moron. It's a TYPO ! He obviously omitted "don't". Anyone with a half of a brain understood.

You moron. It's a TYPO ! He obviously omitted "don't". Anyone with a half of a brain understood.

how do you know it's a typo, unless you are the idiot who wrote it, and if you did not write it, who are you to interpert what his thought was? your are full of yourself. get a job in the circus side show, mind reader.

how do you know it's a typo, unless you are the idiot who wrote it, and if you did not write it, who are you to interpert what his thought was? your are full of yourself. get a job in the circus side show, mind reader.

Ok Mr. *********, hold up that lucky **** of yours and you figure it out. No wonder you were not put back in office you have no educated verbage. later

Ok Mr. *********, hold up that lucky **** of yours and you figure it out. No wonder you were not put back in office you have no educated verbage. later

Hey KOTW you failed to put in the name of the former councilman that did nothing for the interest of the public but certainly did something for his personal benefits, jobs, jobs, jobs for the entire family, go figure why Harrison and the state of New Jersey is in the red and goin under.

I guess John Pinho was right.

?????

WTF.

HE DON'T LIVE IN HARRISION. HE'LL NEVER BE RIGHT.

HE'S JUST A CIRCUS CLOWN. :D

SPEAKING OF CLOWNS

DID THE MCCOMICS :lol::lol: START PAYING THE FINES YET. BETTER GET CASH NO CHECKS ACCEPTED.

?????

WTF.

SPEAKING OF CLOWNS

DID THE MCCOMICS :lol::lol: START PAYING THE FINES YET. BETTER GET CASH NO CHECKS ACCEPTED.

Now that the McCormicks issue has been settled in court, lets go after the guy with the quarters.

Guest G  Ueste !!!

?????

WTF.

SPEAKING OF CLOWNS

Time to look for employment elsewhere J.O. You and the rest of the family. This town is rife with nepotism at taxpayer expense. Time to trim the fat.

BTW, I will take 100 Steve McCormicks over the likes of you and the rest of the freeloading J.O.'s that Harrison taxpayers have supported all these years. Feel free to post back. I love to read the ignorant crap rant you bring. Try to branch out with some new material though - you tend to repeat yourself a lot. Folks may confuse you with the village idiot.

?????

WTF.

SPEAKING OF CLOWNS

I wish Pinho moved back in an ran. He has been right on the money. Take a look at his website www.yourharrison.com . He said pay raises would mean laid off town workers. It happened. He is now saying that poor planning on the Mayor's part (read between the lines) is going to cause further layoffs. Maybe you will be next. He is far from a circus clown. The circus clowns are the council members who never have an opinion and vote yes yes yes. Those are the circus clowns.

The McCormicks settled their case without admitting guilty. The town was looking for $400,000 and they paid $20,000 and less if paid over time. Sounds like a great settlement and they are moving forward with renting their building out.

ANOTHER BORAT STATEMENT...

QUOTE.

"I had the honor of sitting with Peter as a Commissioner on the Harrison Redevelopment Agency when it was first formed. I also had the privilege of working on one of Peter's 4th Ward ReElection Campaigns."

PETER

ALWAYS REFERRED TO YOU AS THE LEAD CIRCUS CLOWN... A KIND OF MR. HANKIE.

THATS WHY YOU LOST YOUR APPOINTMENT ......................CLOWN.

" I also had the privilege of working on one of Peter's 4th Ward ReElection Campaigns."-John Pinhead

And I'm sure that Peter was ever so grateful to you when Doran kicked his ass!!!

" I also had the privilege of working on one of Peter's 4th Ward ReElection Campaigns."-John Pinhead

And I'm sure that Peter was ever so grateful to you when Doran kicked his ass!!!

Do you know that Peter never went to ***** funeral Mass? He hated Doran that much.

Do you know that Peter never went to ***** funeral Mass? He hated Doran that much.

Do you think that people realy care of who goes to whos funeral? I don't - Many people hate many people, but as I read Mr. Doran the $250,000.00 dollar man mentioned in the Observer of how great Peter was and that he made many accomplishments together with Doran. That's how it works the politicians stab each other in the back and then put on show for all to believe they love each other, they realy think people are so dumb as to believe Doran's sorry symphathy talk. Doran is such a ***, and I don't mean in the way of his ****** *********, but in a way to say "he has no balls". That would be the truth being what did he do since we elected him? he talked a big story and nothing happened with the in terms of the changes he's brought, but many things happened to him and his friends and family and all the luck they had in receiving the sweet jobs paid by all of us who voted him in. We got a great deal on that one

Do you think that people realy care of who goes to whos funeral? I don't - Many people hate many people, but as I read Mr. Doran the $250,000.00 dollar man mentioned in the Observer of how great Peter was and that he made many accomplishments together with Doran. That's how it works the politicians stab each other in the back and then put on show for all to believe they love each other, they realy think people are so dumb as to believe Doran's sorry symphathy talk. Doran is such a ***, and I don't mean in the way of his ****** *********, but in a way to say "he has no balls". That would be the truth being what did he do since we elected him? he talked a big story and nothing happened with the in terms of the changes he's brought, but many things happened to him and his friends and family and all the luck they had in receiving the sweet jobs paid by all of us who voted him in. We got a great deal on that one

Is that 250K a year or $250.00 an hour?... Oh wait, I believe its BOTH... Now I have to eer on the side of short sightedness and say THERE is a person the town should be without.

Layoff Article in Jersey Journal

You know this crap about the town employees paying $360/yr for thier benefits is crap! I pay almost $200/month towards mine and the towns benefits are 100% better than mine. They should be paying ten times $360/yr for their benefits especailly with the salaries they make. Also I think the ones that live out of town should have to pay a tax to Harrison, a percentage, because they don't give anything back to this town just take home to some other town a fat paycheck! And they don't even spend any of it in this town. I am tired of paying high salaries to out of towners! LIVE IN HARRISON OR PAY! I DON'T CARE IF ITS AGAINST YOUR CONSTITUTIONAL RIGHT! Why should I pay you over $100,000 and at 4:30 you leave and go live in another town with cheaper taxes and I am left paying such high taxes for a sh*ty little lot so you can make big bucks answereing the telphone. I hope that Christie comes in and cleans this house good!

You know this crap about the town employees paying $360/yr for thier benefits is crap! I pay almost $200/month towards mine and the towns benefits are 100% better than mine. They should be paying ten times $360/yr for their benefits especailly with the salaries they make. Also I think the ones that live out of town should have to pay a tax to Harrison, a percentage, because they don't give anything back to this town just take home to some other town a fat paycheck! And they don't even spend any of it in this town. I am tired of paying high salaries to out of towners! LIVE IN HARRISON OR PAY! I DON'T CARE IF ITS AGAINST YOUR CONSTITUTIONAL RIGHT! Why should I pay you over $100,000 and at 4:30 you leave and go live in another town with cheaper taxes and I am left paying such high taxes for a sh*ty little lot so you can make big bucks answereing the telphone. I hope that Christie comes in and cleans this house good!

Cry me a river, slug.

Guest Applaused

Really, 360/year- what a sham. 30 bucks a month. Copays are minor too. AND they don't pay until 2011. Best part is some are complaining about it. It's disgusting to think about it.

Time to trim the fat baby, BOE should get the same treatment and then some.

Watch and see what services get cut - not enough manpower I guess. Ray says that the Library and Community Center will cut back on hours - to what? Might as well close them down.

Good thing the redevelopment has been put on hold - who would they sell to? Not like there's a whole lot of enticement to buy in a town that prides itself on it's dysfunction. Go Red Bulls! Will there be a blockade of the bridge after games/events at the stadium so all can leave through Harrison's "downtown business district"? Beginning of the end? Ray doesn't want to put the burden on the taxpayer? What does he call the last 5 years of increased tax burden? More tax increase is coming - watch.

I read that Ray is struggling with the layoffs, "breaks his heart", because "he's always been about trying to help people". Well thanks for thinking of "all of us" all these years. I feel your pain - everytime I open my checkbook. The state didn't abandon us - mismanagement torpedoed Harrison - and that's putting it nicely because with all the "state" money Harrison has gotten over the years the streets should be paved with gold.

Guest *Taxpayer*

You got that right!! I pay more than $360 A MONTH for my benefits!! $360 a year is NOTHING!! and now the mayor is threatening to cut hours in the community center, library, etc. If mostly part time people were laid off why can't the full time people that are left just do what they've been getting paid over $100,000 a year to do. Or even better, make them all part time - work four hours a day, four shifts, no benefits, we can have longer hours and it would be a hell of a lot cheaper!!!!!

You can thank the NAACP for that one. At least back in the day when you got your job you had to be a Harrison Resident. Same went for Kearny and a bunch of other towns. At least at that time when people were hired they had a vested interest in these towns. Now it doesn't matter.

How many firemen are being laid off?

How many firemen are being laid off?

Absolutely NONE = 0 - This is truly a slap in the face to the taxpayers of Harrison. Where do you see a municipality that the number of firefighters exceeds the number of police officers? What is necessary here is to merge Kearny, Harrison and East Newark and make them a hibrid West Huson Fire Unit. I have already requested this to our new Governor Chris Christie, everyone should look at the New Jersey Governor website and send him your opinion on your town, Harrison needs much needed relief in taxes and that is one of the biggest expenses we have the Fire Dept., but it's not only their salaries, it's the health benefits we pay and the pensions. I suggest we all write the governor and the mayor.

Absolutely NONE = 0 - This is truly a slap in the face to the taxpayers of Harrison. Where do you see a municipality that the number of firefighters exceeds the number of police officers? What is necessary here is to merge Kearny, Harrison and East Newark and make them a hibrid West Huson Fire Unit. I have already requested this to our new Governor Chris Christie, everyone should look at the New Jersey Governor website and send him your opinion on your town, Harrison needs much needed relief in taxes and that is one of the biggest expenses we have the Fire Dept., but it's not only their salaries, it's the health benefits we pay and the pensions. I suggest we all write the governor and the mayor.

YOUR STATEMENT MAKES SENSE. bUT YOU HAVE THE FIRE UNIONS TO CONTEND WITH WHO WILL RESIST IT. WHY YOUR AT IT WHY NOT DO THE SAME THING WITH THE POLICE DEPT. MAKE IT A WEST HUDSON PD WITH 1 CHIEF WHICH WOULD BE THE KEARNY CHIEF WHO ACTUALLY LIVES IN KEARNY AND IS DEDICATED. YEARS AGO HARRISON COULD AFFORD THE HFD. BUT SINCE THE INDUSTIRES MOVED OUT AND RODGERS MADE THE DEAL WITH THE STATE TO SHARE THE GROSS RECEIPT TAX, IT'S BEEN ALL DOWNHILL. THE ONLY PROBLEM I HAVE WITH MCDONOUGH IS THAT HE HAS FAVORED HIS FRIENDS AND RELATIVES AND GIVEN THEM HIGH PAYING OR MORE THEN 1 JOB. HE HAS TRIED TO REDEVELOP HARRISON WHEN RODGERS RAN IT TO THE GROUND AFTER HE HAD TAKEN ALL THE GOODIES.

COuld someone please educate me on the whole pension thing. I don't get it. I don't know of anyone who doesn't work for the government who has a pension plan. We all have to save for our retirement out of our paychecks. Is the pension that gov. employees get the same as the money they've paid in or is it additional money paid by the taxpayers?