Celeste Regal Op/Ed Piece...?

Guest Ari Gold

Guest Ari Gold

The Observer surely can’t be serious with this crazy-a$$ philosophy diatribe disguised as an article called “Fun on a Tight Budget.” Gary Busey is more coherent.

Time to turn in your pen, Celeste. This writing thing isn't working out for you.

Here is the text of the article and a link to the paper's website:

http://www.theobserver.com/articles/2009/0...af643562347.txt

Fun on a tight budget

By Celeste Regal

Everywhere you look people are commiserating about the economy, how things aren’t as they used to be and generally putting a damper on any given day. It’s a general tendency of human nature to be like that. We like to complain, always make it the other person’s fault and feel like the sky is falling. These are not good attributes to have, especially when the money faucet isn’t flowing like it used to.

There are some things you can believe, even though they may not be true. Why not pick the more positive approach to your belief system? When you seriously think about it, negative thinking is just as inaccurate as believing in the good things in life, on the whole. No one has come up with any lasting, eternal answers since the world began. By real, I mean ones that can be disproved, reconfigured, analyzed, scientifically tested or not. As the years evolve so does our thinking. Some things stay the same but not in all aspects of the thing itself. Life is full of change – we are constantly in flux.

Truth is something we make for ourselves, so why not believe that good times are not only around the corner, they are here right now. The thing about thoughts is that they, relatively speaking, don’t cost anything and sometimes they can make a person the arbiter of change. We used to eat food filled with pesticides and then due to early writers like Henry David Thoreau and my personal favorite, Rachel Carson, legislation began to change how we behave as a community. Now we can buy all sorts of organic foodstuffs. It’s expensive but if you look at how long an organic lemon will last in the refrigerator compared to a conventional one, you might feel that it’s worth the price. If you feel better because the food you eat is no longer from boxes or cans that contain unhealthy products, that’s even a bigger plus. Pesticides have evolved, as has their usefulness. But who knows what tomorrow may bring? It might as well be happiness and not dreadfulness.

We can agree to disagree nowadays, too. Religious groups are no longer burning each other at the stake, nor are our African American brothers and sisters being lynched for their difference. Prejudice will always be with us, since once again, human nature directs us to blame someone else; to make difference an issue. Having a scapegoat is as old as the writings in the Bible.

As far as the violence at our door, thinking the neighborhood is going to hell in a hand basket is not a particularly useful thought. I prefer to see the people who put the vigil candles and flowers at Rachel Jewelry as the real core of our community. I prefer to believe that the police in our towns are working hard to keep crime at bay. I prefer to believe that young people are the juice that holds our dreams together.

I didn’t always feel or believe this way. What I have found is that the second I believe that good overcomes evil, that the world is a wonderful place full of mystery and fun, I feel like a rich person during good times and the so called bad.

It’s a great bargain that can be added into the most meager of budgets. For if you think the world a bad and horrible place, that is all you will see and have. If you see the world as a beautiful challenge with solutions to be had, you will be able to face all the nuances of life quite joyfully. It takes a lot of practice but it can be done, and it’s worth the effort.

The Observer surely can’t be serious with this crazy-a$$ philosophy diatribe disguised as an article called “Fun on a Tight Budget.” Gary Busey is more coherent.

Time to turn in your pen, Celeste. This writing thing isn't working out for you.

Here is the text of the article and a link to the paper's website:

http://www.theobserver.com/articles/2009/0...af643562347.txt

Fun on a tight budget

By Celeste Regal

Everywhere you look people are commiserating about the economy, how things aren’t as they used to be and generally putting a damper on any given day. It’s a general tendency of human nature to be like that. We like to complain, always make it the other person’s fault and feel like the sky is falling. These are not good attributes to have, especially when the money faucet isn’t flowing like it used to.

There are some things you can believe, even though they may not be true. Why not pick the more positive approach to your belief system? When you seriously think about it, negative thinking is just as inaccurate as believing in the good things in life, on the whole. No one has come up with any lasting, eternal answers since the world began. By real, I mean ones that can be disproved, reconfigured, analyzed, scientifically tested or not. As the years evolve so does our thinking. Some things stay the same but not in all aspects of the thing itself. Life is full of change – we are constantly in flux.

Truth is something we make for ourselves, so why not believe that good times are not only around the corner, they are here right now. The thing about thoughts is that they, relatively speaking, don’t cost anything and sometimes they can make a person the arbiter of change. We used to eat food filled with pesticides and then due to early writers like Henry David Thoreau and my personal favorite, Rachel Carson, legislation began to change how we behave as a community. Now we can buy all sorts of organic foodstuffs. It’s expensive but if you look at how long an organic lemon will last in the refrigerator compared to a conventional one, you might feel that it’s worth the price. If you feel better because the food you eat is no longer from boxes or cans that contain unhealthy products, that’s even a bigger plus. Pesticides have evolved, as has their usefulness. But who knows what tomorrow may bring? It might as well be happiness and not dreadfulness.

We can agree to disagree nowadays, too. Religious groups are no longer burning each other at the stake, nor are our African American brothers and sisters being lynched for their difference. Prejudice will always be with us, since once again, human nature directs us to blame someone else; to make difference an issue. Having a scapegoat is as old as the writings in the Bible.

As far as the violence at our door, thinking the neighborhood is going to hell in a hand basket is not a particularly useful thought. I prefer to see the people who put the vigil candles and flowers at Rachel Jewelry as the real core of our community. I prefer to believe that the police in our towns are working hard to keep crime at bay. I prefer to believe that young people are the juice that holds our dreams together.

I didn’t always feel or believe this way. What I have found is that the second I believe that good overcomes evil, that the world is a wonderful place full of mystery and fun, I feel like a rich person during good times and the so called bad.

It’s a great bargain that can be added into the most meager of budgets. For if you think the world a bad and horrible place, that is all you will see and have. If you see the world as a beautiful challenge with solutions to be had, you will be able to face all the nuances of life quite joyfully. It takes a lot of practice but it can be done, and it’s worth the effort.

Wow, I don't know where to begin.

JUST PICKED UP THIS WEEK'S OBSERVER. BOUT TO TAKE A SHIT ON IT. READ LISA PEZZOLLA'S OP ED -- WTF? SHE MUST BE STONED OR SOMETHING WHEN SHE WRITES THIS SHIT. IT MAKES NO SENSE... AND WEREN'T THE TRADE CENTERS BUILT IN THE 1970S? WHAT IS WRONG WITH THIS TOWN THAT WE CAN'T GET A GODDAMN GOOD F**KING PAPER WHERE THE WRITERS AREN'T COMPLETE BUFFOONS? WHY THE HELL DO WE HAVE IDIOTS WHO CAN'T CHECK SIMPLE FACTS LIKE http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_Trade_Center HOLY SHIT THAT WAS HARD. I'M SORRY, I'M SORRY. WILL SOMEBODY TELL THESE PEOPLE AT THE OBSERVER THAT THEY S**K! LIKE... CAN WE GO DOWN THERE AND PROTEST THEIR PRINTING OF ANYTHING EVER AGAIN? WHO WOULD WANT TO ADVERTISE IN THIS CRAPPY PUBLICATION ANYWAY? WHO? A BUNCH OF SHITTY LAWYERS THAT'S WHO! FUCK11111!!!!!! SSSSSHIIIITTTTTT!!!! I'M NEVER GOING TO HIRE A LAWYER WHO ADVERTISES IN A PAPER WRITTEN BY IDIOTS. AND WHAT THE F**K? NO MORE QUESTION OF THE WEEK? WHY? NO POLICE BLOTTER? THIS PAPER S**ks. IT S**ks AS TOILET PAPER EVEN. I GOT A NEWS STORY FOR YOU, OBSERVER. "MEN IN TRUCKS THROW SHIT AT HOMES ACROSS KEARNY!" OH WAIT... IT'S THE F**KING OBSERVER. HEY, ALSO, HOWS ABOUT GOING GREEN? I LIVE IN A ONE FAMILY. IT'S OBVIOUSLY A F**KING ONE FAMILY. THERE IS ONE DOOR, IT'S A SMALL PLACE. STOP GIVING ME AN EXTRA PAPER I DON'T NEED. ACTUALLY, I DON'T NEED A FIRST ONE EITHER. WHAT THE F**K AM I TLAKING ABOUT? STOP THROWING POOP AT PEOPLE'S HOMES. IF I CATCH THE OBSERVER FLINGING SHIT AT MY HOUSE AGAIN, I'M GOING TO TAKE A DUMP AND MAIL IT TO THE OBSERVER.

-SSSSSSSHIIIIITTTTTTTTT

JUST PICKED UP THIS WEEK'S OBSERVER. BOUT TO TAKE A SHIT ON IT. READ LISA PEZZOLLA'S OP ED -- WTF? SHE MUST BE STONED OR SOMETHING WHEN SHE WRITES THIS SHIT. IT MAKES NO SENSE... AND WEREN'T THE TRADE CENTERS BUILT IN THE 1970S? WHAT IS WRONG WITH THIS TOWN THAT WE CAN'T GET A GODDAMN GOOD F**KING PAPER WHERE THE WRITERS AREN'T COMPLETE BUFFOONS? WHY THE HELL DO WE HAVE IDIOTS WHO CAN'T CHECK SIMPLE FACTS LIKE http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_Trade_Center HOLY SHIT THAT WAS HARD. I'M SORRY, I'M SORRY. WILL SOMEBODY TELL THESE PEOPLE AT THE OBSERVER THAT THEY S**K! LIKE... CAN WE GO DOWN THERE AND PROTEST THEIR PRINTING OF ANYTHING EVER AGAIN? WHO WOULD WANT TO ADVERTISE IN THIS CRAPPY PUBLICATION ANYWAY? WHO? A BUNCH OF SHITTY LAWYERS THAT'S WHO! FUCK11111!!!!!! SSSSSHIIIITTTTTT!!!! I'M NEVER GOING TO HIRE A LAWYER WHO ADVERTISES IN A PAPER WRITTEN BY IDIOTS. AND WHAT THE F**K? NO MORE QUESTION OF THE WEEK? WHY? NO POLICE BLOTTER? THIS PAPER S**ks. IT S**ks AS TOILET PAPER EVEN. I GOT A NEWS STORY FOR YOU, OBSERVER. "MEN IN TRUCKS THROW SHIT AT HOMES ACROSS KEARNY!" OH WAIT... IT'S THE F**KING OBSERVER. HEY, ALSO, HOWS ABOUT GOING GREEN? I LIVE IN A ONE FAMILY. IT'S OBVIOUSLY A F**KING ONE FAMILY. THERE IS ONE DOOR, IT'S A SMALL PLACE. STOP GIVING ME AN EXTRA PAPER I DON'T NEED. ACTUALLY, I DON'T NEED A FIRST ONE EITHER. WHAT THE F**K AM I TLAKING ABOUT? STOP THROWING POOP AT PEOPLE'S HOMES. IF I CATCH THE OBSERVER FLINGING SHIT AT MY HOUSE AGAIN, I'M GOING TO TAKE A DUMP AND MAIL IT TO THE OBSERVER.

-SSSSSSSHIIIIITTTTTTTTT

also, it's the 8th anniversary! DAMMMMMNITTTTTTTT!!!!!

also, it's the 8th anniversary! DAMMMMMNITTTTTTTT!!!!!

The combination of totally unreadable editorials, irrelevant stories and then YELLING at the nice people for donating to Kentucky Cares in a bag (OH MY GOD) instead of a box is just sickening. I appreciate the fact that they are trying to do something charitable and do not dispute in any way that it is a worthy cause but, by being associated with the Observer it is probably being hurt more than helped.

And where is the police log? Where is the follow up on recent stories? For example, what happened to that Harrison teacher who was being fired for no cause?

And can anyone there SPELL? The word "Sponsored" in the Kentucky Cares ad has been spelled "Sponsered" for several weeks now. Their website appears to be designed by a little kid.

Come on folks, you are serving a community of reasonably educated, hard working people who recognize a piece of crap when they see it. You are taking a paper that used to be a "must read" to stay on top of what was going on in our area and turning it into an irritating, totally irrelevant entity.

Better tighten it up and get some reporters who can read and write or you will be sitting there in a year lamenting about how all of the advertising revenue has dried up.

-SSSSSSSHIIIIITTTTTTTTT

You are certainly mad and correct this paper is a sad story for news. ***** is an arrogant unprofessional person with crap to write. WRITE SOME REAL NEWS THAT AFFECT REAL PEOPLE WITH REAL ISSUES. THE REALITY IS YOU NEED BETTER PERSONNEL THAT CAN FEEL WHAT THE PEOPLE FEEL.

• 3 weeks later...

-SSSSSSSHIIIIITTTTTTTTT

Does anyone have a copy of Wednesday's paper they can give me to wipe with? I think I just wet my pants!

The combination of totally unreadable editorials, irrelevant stories and then YELLING at the nice people for donating to Kentucky Cares in a bag (OH MY GOD) instead of a box is just sickening. I appreciate the fact that they are trying to do something charitable and do not dispute in any way that it is a worthy cause but, by being associated with the Observer it is probably being hurt more than helped.

And where is the police log? Where is the follow up on recent stories? For example, what happened to that Harrison teacher who was being fired for no cause?

And can anyone there SPELL? The word "Sponsored" in the Kentucky Cares ad has been spelled "Sponsered" for several weeks now. Their website appears to be designed by a little kid.

Come on folks, you are serving a community of reasonably educated, hard working people who recognize a piece of crap when they see it. You are taking a paper that used to be a "must read" to stay on top of what was going on in our area and turning it into an irritating, totally irrelevant entity.

Better tighten it up and get some reporters who can read and write or you will be sitting there in a year lamenting about how all of the advertising revenue has dried up.

Yes, where the hell is the police log god dammit? I miss reading what my former classmates are all up to these days. The answer is no, NO ONE THERE CAN SPELL! The paper has gone from an informative publication that served the community into a cash cow - show me the $$$ Lisa!

Guest youscaredme

For a minute there I thought Lisa Pezzola was running for mayor. I was going to start paacking just in case she some how won the election! She portrays her self (in her "editorials") as compassionate and educated. Why is it that then that she usually offends and/or enrages me with her selfish and ignorant comments. A recent example was asking where the police were when a man was being robbed and murdered! Gee Lisa, hope the Fire Department has hoses pointed at every house in Kearny just waiting for a blaze to start. The Observer is not far removed from check out counter "rags". You should at least give the people what they want.

Yes, where the hell is the police log god dammit? I miss reading what my former classmates are all up to these days. The answer is no, NO ONE THERE CAN SPELL! The paper has gone from an informative publication that served the community into a cash cow - show me the $$$ Lisa!

Lisa's writing was MUCH better when she was copying other's work.

Well, I suppose her scolding from the Ethics In Journalism committee back in 2005 AND 2006 is what subsequentenly ruined The Observer as we knew it. In 2007 Kevin Canessa complained to the KOTW administrator that he'd allowed a submission to be posted on the boards which called their publisher illiterate. While yes, she can read and write by all definitions, she just preferred to read and then use her computer's copy and paste function, instead of actually writing her own "Word From The Publisher" column. Futhermore, not only was she caught in a tangled web of plagiarism, but rather than owning up to her own deliberate actions, she put the blame onto her staff. Either way, whether she lifted it or it was lifted by an employee on her behalf as she claims was the case, what we read from "her" for years (that was still seemingly interesting, coherent and intelligent at that time) were really not her words at all. I stopped supporting The Observer years ago because of this and would never line her pockets with ad or classified $$$ support $$$ again. I rightfully earn my money. Everyone else should do the same.

April 20, 2005

New Jersey publication's publisher charged with lifting

The Jersey Journal's Alexandra Fenwick has details on a plagiarism allegation directed towards the publisher of the Kearny Observer, Lisa Tortoreti Pezzolla. Fenwick informs that an ex-Observer staff member pointed out the plagiarism to a publication whose material was lifted and run in Pezzolla's "A Word With the Publisher" column. The unnamed source states that this is not necessarily the first time this has happened.

Ethics in Journalism - Plagiarism & Fabrication Scandals

Lisa Tortoreti Pezzolla (Kearny Observer) – In April 2006, The Morning Call newspaper in Allentown, Pa. complained to Pezzolla, publisher of the New Jersey weekly The Kearny Observer and author of the Observer column “A Word with the Publisher,” after reading her April 13 column, which it said liberally cut and pasted entire sentences from Morning Call finance reporter Gregory Karp’s April 3 piece on how to save money on gasoline. Following up on the story, the New York Daily News conducted a spot check of Pezzolla’s writings and in its “Lowdown” column alleged that Pezzolla lifted exact phrasings, sentences and even full paragraphs verbatim from online sources on topics ranging from the death of Pope John Paul II to cystic fibrosis to the celebration of Presidents’ Day. In one instance cited by the New York Daily News, the entire opening line from a 1998 CNN.com story on coping with loss during the holidays ran in her column. Pezzolla denied the plagiarism accusation, blaming her staff and an unidentified disgruntled ex-employee. “My people edit whatever I do,” Pezzolla replied. “Something seems a little funny here, and I think I know what it is. It’s somebody that, as of a week ago, is no longer here.” Text excerpted from: Lloyd Grove, “Lowdown – Is publisher copy thief?” New York Daily News, April 17, 2006.

http://catalog.freedomforum.org/FFLib/JournalistScandals.htm

Not that I like to rehash the past (ok, that's a lie - sure I do), but this blog entry regarding the plagiarism was EPIC:

http://www.thismayhurt.com/corantonews/new...ve-4-2005.shtml

Kevin Canessa..you mean the guy who got **** ** *** ****** and ****** on a weekly basis on NJ.com about how the KPD was "Mean" because they wouldnt talk to him??? of course he conveneiently forgot how he was apparently ******** of ******* **** *** ******* ***** ******. Or after one Incident, apparenly the full statement and cooperation by the #2 guy in the Detectives wasnt enough...yes KPD was hosting a coverup because the Vhief didnt take time to talk to Canessa Personally. The ONLY reason Celest got as far as she did was that people would talk to her and give HER statements from the PD just to piss off Kevin. About the only thing i can really applaus the Slobserver for is finally doing away with that nightmare "Street observer" Page. Lets see, take a mox of Completely Inane, and stupid questions, and complex issues that take more than 2 sentences to cover, and then go find the Biggest retards possible to ask.... THEN take a picture showing the Drooling mouth breather.. Yeah, that was Journalism at it's Finest....

Speaking of illiteracy, we've got this post here below.......Say what you will about Canessa, but when he was at the Observer, at least the elections and government scene were being covered. And who cares whether the police answered his questions? Theres no crime in Kearny to report anyway right?

Kevin Canessa..you mean the guy who got **** ** *** ****** and ****** on a weekly basis on NJ.com about how the KPD was "Mean" because they wouldnt talk to him??? of course he conveneiently forgot how he was apparently ******** of ******* **** *** ******* ***** ******. Or after one Incident, apparenly the full statement and cooperation by the #2 guy in the Detectives wasnt enough...yes KPD was hosting a coverup because the Vhief didnt take time to talk to Canessa Personally. The ONLY reason Celest got as far as she did was that people would talk to her and give HER statements from the PD just to piss off Kevin. About the only thing i can really applaus the Slobserver for is finally doing away with that nightmare "Street observer" Page. Lets see, take a mox of Completely Inane, and stupid questions, and complex issues that take more than 2 sentences to cover, and then go find the Biggest retards possible to ask.... THEN take a picture showing the Drooling mouth breather.. Yeah, that was Journalism at it's Finest....

This week, a new approach. Celeste Regal’s journal entry prattles on about the aquifers at the Siwa Oasis. Curious as to what may have sparked her ramblings, I Googled it.

For anyone reading this week’s “article,” the oasis from which she pinched her facts is a recent BBC News story found here:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/middle_east/8289532.stm

That got chewed up and spit out into this:

http://www.theobserver.com/articles/2009/1...4e716638877.txt

Maybe Lisa P. can teach Celeste a better way to borrow someone else's work.

This week, a new approach. Celeste Regal’s journal entry prattles on about the aquifers at the Siwa Oasis. Curious as to what may have sparked her ramblings, I Googled it.

For anyone reading this week’s “article,” the oasis from which she pinched her facts is a recent BBC News story found here:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/middle_east/8289532.stm

That got chewed up and spit out into this:

http://www.theobserver.com/articles/2009/1...4e716638877.txt

Maybe Lisa P. can teach Celeste a better way to borrow someone else's work.

This Celeste woman is very Limited if you know what I mean. Who else would hire her? the observer is now accepting applications/resumes for new editor.

• 2 weeks later...

This retard claims she is leaving due to the recession, but the Observer is advertising for a new editor in its classified pages. Good luck, idiots!

By Celeste Regal

Oct. 26 will be my last day as a regular employee at The Observer newspaper. While other opportunities were presented to me that require attention outside the 531 Kearny Ave. office, I will continue on a freelance photojournalist and writer when time permits. I made a number of commitments to write stories before the decision to leave and I like to keep my word.

So many of the everyday people, professionals, and business owners have exhibited a convivial hospitality that made the three years as a Kearny employee a pleasure.

Nevertheless, it is time to move on. Parting company with the staff is a cordial one.

While some of my time working here was under extreme recession duress, it proved adversity does indeed have its uses.

Performing tasks that once took a larger crew had educational as well as personal benefits. The gains of that type of work indicated what must be refined in my own particular skill set and how to profit from it.

Moving out of the office is predicated on my particular preferences and projects. Any vicious babbling concerning my departure from The Observer is bunk.

But that sort of thing is a grain of sand next to all the congratulatory calls, e-mails and letters readers have sent in response to the articles written while working here. Our coverage area is full of generally good natured people and I will miss those regular encounters.

The recession has been hard on everyone and it isn’t an easy move to make during such times but I considered the decision thoroughly, and the time is right – for myself, that is – to test the waters as captain of my own ship.

Anything is possible if you put your mind to it. Do the footwork, and leave the rest to the god of your choice.

Farewell and I trust you’ll keep reading and thinking with an open mind.

This retard claims she is leaving due to the recession, but the Observer is advertising for a new editor in its classified pages. Good luck, idiots!

By Celeste Regal

Oct. 26 will be my last day as a regular employee at The Observer newspaper. While other opportunities were presented to me that require attention outside the 531 Kearny Ave. office, I will continue on a freelance photojournalist and writer when time permits. I made a number of commitments to write stories before the decision to leave and I like to keep my word.

So many of the everyday people, professionals, and business owners have exhibited a convivial hospitality that made the three years as a Kearny employee a pleasure.

Nevertheless, it is time to move on. Parting company with the staff is a cordial one.

While some of my time working here was under extreme recession duress, it proved adversity does indeed have its uses.

Performing tasks that once took a larger crew had educational as well as personal benefits. The gains of that type of work indicated what must be refined in my own particular skill set and how to profit from it.

Moving out of the office is predicated on my particular preferences and projects. Any vicious babbling concerning my departure from The Observer is bunk.

But that sort of thing is a grain of sand next to all the congratulatory calls, e-mails and letters readers have sent in response to the articles written while working here. Our coverage area is full of generally good natured people and I will miss those regular encounters.

The recession has been hard on everyone and it isn’t an easy move to make during such times but I considered the decision thoroughly, and the time is right – for myself, that is – to test the waters as captain of my own ship.

Anything is possible if you put your mind to it. Do the footwork, and leave the rest to the god of your choice.

Farewell and I trust you’ll keep reading and thinking with an open mind.

Who is hiring this lady? Mayor McDonough? He is sure going to miss her. Maybe she can become his public relations person.