Kearny High School Legal Issues

Kearny Lawyer

Kearny High School  

4 members have voted

1. 1. Has the KHS Administration handled these legal issues correctly?

• Yes
    • No

Wow. If uniforms are such a great thing, why doesn't the KBOE mandate uniforms for all school district employees including teachers, administrators and even the Superintendent? It would be an easy way to catch teachers that sneak out of school to go shopping, the bank, etc. during school hours when they are supposed to be working. Why, you ask? Because the school district employees would immediately find their rights in jeopardy. Union grievances and lawsuits would follow immediately. They wouldn't tolerate being told what to do at such a personal level. This whole issue is about control. Maybe people feel threatened by the high number of non-caucasian students in town. Kids from Newark are still going to attend school in Kearny, uniforms or not.

We would love it, but the Board has their reasons for not requiring it. We don't sneak out to go shopping or the bank. We do it on our lunch time. Are you allowed out of your building for lunch or a break? Why shouldn't teachers and other personnel be allowed out? We're not the kids, we are the adults. And you are right, as adults we wouldn't tolerate being told what to do! But children are supposed to be told what to do. And kids from Newark are not still going to attend school in Kearny. Shows me you are all mouth and don't know what you are talking about.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow. If uniforms are such a great thing, why doesn't the KBOE mandate uniforms for all school district employees including teachers, administrators and even the Superintendent? It would be an easy way to catch teachers that sneak out of school to go shopping, the bank, etc. during school hours when they are supposed to be working. Why, you ask? Because the school district employees would immediately find their rights in jeopardy. Union grievances and lawsuits would follow immediately. They wouldn't tolerate being told what to do at such a personal level. This whole issue is about control. Maybe people feel threatened by the high number of non-caucasian students in town. Kids from Newark are still going to attend school in Kearny, uniforms or not.

I have a better idea. How about you attend your child's back to school night, join your local PTA, get involved in your child's school and then the teacher wouldn't need a uniform to be identified - you'd recognize him/her because you'd know the teacher by name and face. You would be amazed at the number of parents who show up in the principal's office with something their child forgot at home and don't know what grade their kid is in let alone the teacher's name.

We would love it, but the Board has their reasons for not requiring it. We don't sneak out to go shopping or the bank. We do it on our lunch time. Are you allowed out of your building for lunch or a break? Why shouldn't teachers and other personnel be allowed out? We're not the kids, we are the adults. And you are right, as adults we wouldn't tolerate being told what to do! But children are supposed to be told what to do. And kids from Newark are not still going to attend school in Kearny. Shows me you are all mouth and don't know what you are talking about.

Teachers would love it? I don't think so. How many teachers last year were directed to change their attire and clothing habits by Mr. Mooney because it was inappropriate for the school environment? Mr. Mooney had to handle it instead of the principals because of the potential for grievances and lawsuits. It involved a few teachers, some that even work in the elementary schools. The Board's reason for not requiring teacher uniforms is simple. It would cost the school district a large amount of money to defend and they know that they stood a good chance at losing, collective bargaining and all. I agree that most teachers don't sneak out to go shopping or the bank but I personally know some that do and it is a handful. The school district is large enough that it happens with some frequency and some teachers (and administrators) feel it is their prerogative to do so. Teachers and other personnel should be allowed out but only on an approved break time. Prep time and free periods, would they count as break time? I agree that teachers are not the kids, they are the adults. You indicated that as adults you wouldn't tolerate being told what to do. How about as employees of the school district? Would you listen and obey if directed to do so by the board or administration? Again, I don't think so. Right or wrong, it would quickly become a union issue.

Children are supposed to be told what to do but first and foremost by their parents. Leaving teachers as the sole custodians of guidance and discipline of students worries me tremendously. We have so many teachers to force their own, independant views above and beyond the curriculum on the students on a wide variety of subjetcs. If teachers could be trusted completely, relationships with students and accusations of preaching in the classroom would never happen. I have a mouth and a voice. If I didn't present accurate facts, you wouldn,t have become so upset. I apologize if I touched a nerve. I am not teacher bashing. Just trying to present facts that are contrary to public opinion.

Teachers would love it? I don't think so. How many teachers last year were directed to change their attire and clothing habits by Mr. Mooney because it was inappropriate for the school environment? Mr. Mooney had to handle it instead of the principals because of the potential for grievances and lawsuits. It involved a few teachers, some that even work in the elementary schools. The Board's reason for not requiring teacher uniforms is simple. It would cost the school district a large amount of money to defend and they know that they stood a good chance at losing, collective bargaining and all. I agree that most teachers don't sneak out to go shopping or the bank but I personally know some that do and it is a handful. The school district is large enough that it happens with some frequency and some teachers (and administrators) feel it is their prerogative to do so. Teachers and other personnel should be allowed out but only on an approved break time. Prep time and free periods, would they count as break time? I agree that teachers are not the kids, they are the adults. You indicated that as adults you wouldn't tolerate being told what to do. How about as employees of the school district? Would you listen and obey if directed to do so by the board or administration? Again, I don't think so. Right or wrong, it would quickly become a union issue.

Children are supposed to be told what to do but first and foremost by their parents. Leaving teachers as the sole custodians of guidance and discipline of students worries me tremendously. We have so many teachers to force their own, independant views above and beyond the curriculum on the students on a wide variety of subjetcs. If teachers could be trusted completely, relationships with students and accusations of preaching in the classroom would never happen. I have a mouth and a voice. If I didn't present accurate facts, you wouldn,t have become so upset. I apologize if I touched a nerve. I am not teacher bashing. Just trying to present facts that are contrary to public opinion.

Of course I would abide by what my bosses say. If a choose not to, then I shouldn't be working there. When I worked in the private sector I abided by those rules too. That's life. 98 percent of the teachers in this district are the greatest. You always have a few though that push buttons just like in any work place. I guarentee you if the Board wanted the staff to wear uniforms they would be delighted. The teachers also want the parents to raise their own kids. It would make their jobs a lot easier. So we agree on most things.

I have a better idea. How about you attend your child's back to school night, join your local PTA, get involved in your child's school and then the teacher wouldn't need a uniform to be identified - you'd recognize him/her because you'd know the teacher by name and face. You would be amazed at the number of parents who show up in the principal's office with something their child forgot at home and don't know what grade their kid is in let alone the teacher's name.

How do you know that I don't do all these things? Just for the record, I do! The point isn't that I would know all of my child's teachers because I do know each and every one of them. My point is that uniforms are only popular with some people, not even with a majority of people and that the reasons for their use changes with each debate. Uniforms was an ill-conceived idea without full thought that was pushed through by a previous BOE. This is a public education system and not a private one where uniforms are acceptable. Another point I made was that if you turn the scenario around, say back at the teachers and administrators, watch out! People all of a sudden think of uniforms as evil or at least irrelevent. People can't have it both ways.

Maybe if people wanted to defend something worthy then they would fight to improve the quality of education offered in our schools. People should actually question why the district's test scores have been declining steadily for years and why the curriculum used by the HS is years out of date over the required 5 year limit. It seems somone forgot to watch the standards of education being offered such as HOW and WHAT our children are being taught for a really long time. Some people are so worried that the kids will stop looking like Mouseketeers that they forgot the school's PRIMARY function is about providing quality education for our children. Education isn't all about selling cupcakes and having chinese auctions. As soon as some parents realize that there will be hope for our kids.

PS - Uniforms didn't stop students from stealing laptop computers from the HS.

Another legal issue. Don't they ( the students) have to be convicted first? How was the administration able to kick them out of school already?

"PS - Uniforms didn't stop students from stealing laptop computers from the HS."

How do you know that I don't do all these things? Just for the record, I do! The point isn't that I would know all of my child's teachers because I do know each and every one of them. My point is that uniforms are only popular with some people, not even with a majority of people and that the reasons for their use changes with each debate. Uniforms was an ill-conceived idea without full thought that was pushed through by a previous BOE. This is a public education system and not a private one where uniforms are acceptable. Another point I made was that if you turn the scenario around, say back at the teachers and administrators, watch out! People all of a sudden think of uniforms as evil or at least irrelevent. People can't have it both ways.

Maybe if people wanted to defend something worthy then they would fight to improve the quality of education offered in our schools. People should actually question why the district's test scores have been declining steadily for years and why the curriculum used by the HS is years out of date over the required 5 year limit. It seems somone forgot to watch the standards of education being offered such as HOW and WHAT our children are being taught for a really long time. Some people are so worried that the kids will stop looking like Mouseketeers that they forgot the school's PRIMARY function is about providing quality education for our children. Education isn't all about selling cupcakes and having chinese auctions. As soon as some parents realize that there will be hope for our kids.

PS - Uniforms didn't stop students from stealing laptop computers from the HS.

PS - They were not in uniforms when the Lap Tops were stolen! They stole them during the summer while they were on summer work. Is that crazy, give a kid a chance to make some money in the summer, and (2) boys from the same household even, than bite the hand that gave you the job by stealing thousands of dollars worth of computers!

Maybe if they were in uniform they might not have got out of the building with (8) computers! :lol:

After tonight, theere will be more legal issues coming towards the BOE. They did not act wisely regarding the 2 students in question. The BOE went against the legal advice of 2 attornies and expelled the 2 students anyway, just becausethey dont like their father.

After tonight, theere will be more legal issues coming towards the BOE. They did not act wisely regarding the 2 students in question. The BOE went against the legal advice of 2 attornies and expelled the 2 students anyway, just becausethey dont like their father.

Were they REALLY expelled? I just can't believe it.

Yes they were expelled. They have a member o fthe community retaining a lawyer for the appeal and it will be down in Trenton next week. More legal woes for the High School.

Were they REALLY expelled? I just can't believe it.

Did anyone remember to celebrate the birthday of Our United States of America Government today, Constitution Day? On this day, September 17, 1787, the delegates to the Constitutional Convention met for the last time to sign the document they had created, the US Constitution. Constitution Day commemorates the formation and signing of the U.S. Constitution by thirty-nine brave men recognizing all who, by coming of age or by naturalization, have become citizens.

The Bill of Rights, Constitutional Amendments 1 through 10, was passed by Congress in 1789 and ratified December 15, 1791 because a number of the States, having at the time of their adopting the Constitution, expressed a desire, in order to prevent misconstruction or abuse of its powers, that further declaratory and restrictive clauses should be added: And as extending the ground of public confidence in the Government, will best ensure the beneficent ends of its institution.

Amendment I states, "Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances."

The passage of Constitutional Amendments 11 through 27 by Congress followed.

Amendment XIV was passed by Congress on June 13, 1866 and ratified on July 9, 1868. Section 1. states, "All persons born or naturalized in the United States, and subject to the jurisdiction thereof, are citizens of the United States and of the State wherein they reside. No State shall make or enforce any law which shall abridge the privileges or immunities of citizens of the United States; nor shall any State deprive any person of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law; nor deny to any person within its jurisdiction the equal protection of the laws."

Why is all of this relevent, you ask? 222 years later, these are the laws that still protect our rights and protect us from mandatory school uniforms! Our founding fathers knew issues would arise from excessive government powers and established safeguards to protect the rights of individuals. Popular or not, mandatory school uniforms violate those rights and need to be repealed. The BOE should act now to correct this Constitutional violation.

Did anyone remember to celebrate the birthday of Our United States of America Government today, Constitution Day? On this day, September 17, 1787, the delegates to the Constitutional Convention met for the last time to sign the document they had created, the US Constitution. Constitution Day commemorates the formation and signing of the U.S. Constitution by thirty-nine brave men recognizing all who, by coming of age or by naturalization, have become citizens.

The Bill of Rights, Constitutional Amendments 1 through 10, was passed by Congress in 1789 and ratified December 15, 1791 because a number of the States, having at the time of their adopting the Constitution, expressed a desire, in order to prevent misconstruction or abuse of its powers, that further declaratory and restrictive clauses should be added: And as extending the ground of public confidence in the Government, will best ensure the beneficent ends of its institution.

Amendment I states, "Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances."

Amendment XIV was passed by Congress on June 13, 1866 and ratified on July 9, 1868. Section 1. states, "All persons born or naturalized in the United States, and subject to the jurisdiction thereof, are citizens of the United States and of the State wherein they reside. No State shall make or enforce any law which shall abridge the privileges or immunities of citizens of the United States; nor shall any State deprive any person of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law; nor deny to any person within its jurisdiction the equal protection of the laws."

Why is all of this relevent, you ask? 222 years later, these are the laws that still protect our rights and protect us from mandatory school uniforms! Our founding fathers knew issues would arise from excessive government powers and established safeguards to protect the rights of individuals. Popular or not, mandatory school uniforms violate those rights and need to be repealed. The BOE should act now to correct this Constitutional violation.

Sorry, you'll have to show me where the Constitution says no school uniforms. Perhaps, using your interpretation of the law, should ban the police department from wearing uniforms, or soldiers, or for that matter Burger King employees?

Today -- 3 students were suspended for 3 days for holding up pictures of the brothers who were expelled in the laptop drama. UNREAL! Can you say violation of civil rights? All of this is going to cost a lot of taxpayer money and REAL SOON

• 2 weeks later...
Sorry, you'll have to show me where the Constitution says no school uniforms. Perhaps, using your interpretation of the law, should ban the police department from wearing uniforms, or soldiers, or for that matter Burger King employees?

Uniforms have a place in society, just not in public schools. Wearing uniforms in the police department helps people differentiate between the good guys and bad guys. Wearing uniforms in the military helps our soldiers camoflage themselves from the enemy so they don't get killed. Wearing uniforms at Burger King lets their employees know that Big Macs are not on the menu. Uniforms are part of these jobs. If people don't like uniforms, they have a choice not to work in any of these areas. As for wearing uniforms in schools, where is the choice? Students cannot choose not to go to school. They have a right to a free public education.

You want to see where the Constitution says no school uniforms. Try reading the Bill of Rights. It spells out exactly what rights we have, especially Freedom of Speech. We can't have Freedom of Speech in Kearny Schools if our children can't express themselves through their clothing. Its hard to say anything constructive or critical through attire when all of your shirts and sweaters say "Kearny Schools." Mandatory uniforms in public schools seems alot like an attempt to indoctrinate our children into complacency. Just an FYI, indoctrinate is another way of saying "brainwashing." Last time I checked, that's illegal too.

Today -- 3 students were suspended for 3 days for holding up pictures of the brothers who were expelled in the laptop drama. UNREAL! Can you say violation of civil rights? All of this is going to cost a lot of taxpayer money and REAL SOON

It was 2 students an they received a 3 day in school suspension. They were all told prior to the pictures that nothing would be tolerated and to refrain from misbehaving. When approached about the pics of the brothers, they started shouting and yelling at the teacher.

Boys were expelled. Case will be heard in front of an Administrative law judgethis week. I will provide date and docket humber as soon as it is avaianle. A lot of issues will ne brought up

The boys were not expelled. It is illegal to expell a student in NJ. They were given a 90 day suspension.

It was 2 students an they received a 3 day in school suspension. They were all told prior to the pictures that nothing would be tolerated and to refrain from misbehaving. When approached about the pics of the brothers, they started shouting and yelling at the teacher.

Even so, the ULTIMATE irony is that KHS football won over Memorial 40-21 ****** *** *******.

Guest Not the only guest

It' amazing the course this thread has taken! Uniforms are the least of my worries as a parent of current students attending KHS. Apparently the administration and the BOE have more power than I ever thought. The administrators, Mr. Somma and Mr. Ragnoni, sit in their offices making rediculous sums of money and dole out what ever punishment they feel like at the moment. The members of the BOE have become members to advance what ever is their own personal agenda. We have an athletic director who is nothing more than a puppet of both of these entities. There is no consistency at all. The KHS student hand book is nothing more than something to use to line the bottom of a bird cage.

What has been done to the two students mentioned above is a complete travesty. No one can say anything to me to convince me it is nothing more than a personal vendetta against their father. These are people that we, the voters, gave this power too.

Is what the boys did wrong? Absolutely. Any of us who have children know they do things wrong often. It's what they do following the incident that matters more to me. The laptops were returned immediately to the school. At least the 2 these boys took were. Let us not forget there were others involved. The three young men that were involved will suffer the legal consiquences for their actions. Why has nothing been said about the adults that were also involved? Maybe because nothing is being done about that? These boys did not just take it upon themselves to walk away with school property. There has been a too long history of other builidng workers reaping the benefit of our tax dollars. Why were cameras set up in the first place? Maybe because there were laptops taken prior to this incident. Where are those? Have they been returned? Has anyone asked the custodians who were supervising these three young men who were simply employed for the summer? Why were they not being supervised? Also, why were these laptops not in a secured area?

One stupid act by these teenagers has now changed the course of the rest of their lives. It DID NOT have to be this way. There are ways to punish them without destroying their futures. I wonder if the punishment would have been this excessive if they were soccer players? Food for thought.

Boys were expelled. Case will be heard in front of an Administrative law judgethis week. I will provide date and docket humber as soon as it is avaianle. A lot of issues will ne brought up

I think a kid can be expelled if he/she is over the age of 18.

They were given home instruction until Feb. That is not being expelled.

WHO F**KING CARES! KEARNY HIGH IS A LOST CAUSE. GUESS WHO STILL F**KING WORKS THERE? THE GUY WHO TELLS HIS STUDENTS THEY'RE GOING TO HELL.

THIS IS A F**KING STUPID TOPIC. IF YOU SEND YOUR KIDS TO THIS d**b a** PUBLIC SCHOOL YOU'RE F**KING RETARDED OR DON'T HAVE ENOUGH MONEY TO GO PRIVATE. THIS INSTITUTION FAILED ME TERRIBLY. I HAVE THE SHITTIEST GRAMMAR SKILLS IN EVERY CLASS I WALK INTO AT A STATE UNIVERSITY. WHY? BECAUSE KEARNY HIGH SCHOOL IGNORES GRAMMAR FOR 4 F**KING YEARS. THEY DON'T ALLOW INDIVIDUALS TO CHALLENGE THEMSELVES. I WAS STRONGLY DISCOURAGED FROM TAKING ADVANCED COURSES EVEN WHEN I WAS QUALIFIED TO. IN 8TH GRADE I ASKED MY ADVISOR TO PLACE ME IN LATIN. HE DIDN'T. I BEGGED HIM. HE REFUSED. I FAILED SPANISH 2 TWICE. THANKS? PROBABLY HAD SOMETHING TO DO WITH MY LITTLE INTEREST IN THE SUBJECT MATTER.

NOW, IN THE HEIGHT OF AN ECONOMIC RECESSION AND WHEN OUR STUDENTS ARE SCORING BELOW AVERAGE ON THE SAT, THE SCHOOL IS STARTING A HOCKEY PROGRAM? I REALLY HOPE THIS ISN'T F**KING TRUE.

WHO F**KING CARES! KEARNY HIGH IS A LOST CAUSE. GUESS WHO STILL F**KING WORKS THERE? THE GUY WHO TELLS HIS STUDENTS THEY'RE GOING TO HELL.

THIS IS A F**KING STUPID TOPIC. IF YOU SEND YOUR KIDS TO THIS d**b a** PUBLIC SCHOOL YOU'RE F**KING RETARDED OR DON'T HAVE ENOUGH MONEY TO GO PRIVATE. THIS INSTITUTION FAILED ME TERRIBLY. I HAVE THE SHITTIEST GRAMMAR SKILLS IN EVERY CLASS I WALK INTO AT A STATE UNIVERSITY. WHY? BECAUSE KEARNY HIGH SCHOOL IGNORES GRAMMAR FOR 4 F**KING YEARS. THEY DON'T ALLOW INDIVIDUALS TO CHALLENGE THEMSELVES. I WAS STRONGLY DISCOURAGED FROM TAKING ADVANCED COURSES EVEN WHEN I WAS QUALIFIED TO. IN 8TH GRADE I ASKED MY ADVISOR TO PLACE ME IN LATIN. HE DIDN'T. I BEGGED HIM. HE REFUSED. I FAILED SPANISH 2 TWICE. THANKS? PROBABLY HAD SOMETHING TO DO WITH MY LITTLE INTEREST IN THE SUBJECT MATTER.

NOW, IN THE HEIGHT OF AN ECONOMIC RECESSION AND WHEN OUR STUDENTS ARE SCORING BELOW AVERAGE ON THE SAT, THE SCHOOL IS STARTING A HOCKEY PROGRAM? I REALLY HOPE THIS ISN'T F**KING TRUE.

Your attitude shows that the school didn't fail you, you failed yourself.

Your grammar skills aren't all bad. You know when and how to use the F word.