Mayor Santos, Corzine, to Blame for years of spending

Guest Town Watch

Guest Ditto
My, my, one does tend to rant when one knows nothing of which one speaks! Let's dissect your tantrum one statement at a time, shall we?

1) Santos & Co. did not lose West Hudson Hospital because it was neither within their individual nor collective powers to save it. The State calls the shots on situations where PRIVATE health care institutions petition to close or modify their operations. Local officials did everything possible to dissuade the state officials from signing off on the demise of our hospital.

2) Unfortunately, Mr. Santos does not own the railroad or dictate to federal authorities as to how railroad services will be delivered. However, he is a small town mayor with enough "smarts" to convince them that Kearny would be the most likely place to advance commuter transportation (as in Light Rail) which is why in the near future, we will indeed have a train station just east of the Bergen /Schuyler intersection. Don't you read the papers?

3) A drug rehab is not necessarily a bad thing. God knows there is a need for such a service. If properly run, these facilities can be discreet as well as beneficial. Did you know that Kearny has been home to a drug and alcohol counseling/treatment center right in the heart of town for over 25 years----without incident?

4) Don't know where you got your crime stats. I got mine from the KPD, confirmed by the Hudson County Prosecutors Office. Crime in most major categories has been on the decrease in Kearny over the last six years.

5) What town services have been reduced? Name two.

6) If streets don't look as clean as you would like, maybe you should get tough every time you see a motorist empty his ashtray in the curb or a kid drops his iced tea container in the middle of the avenue. DPW doesn't have the time or the desire to follow slobs around town.

7) While you complain about roadways being a mess, I see progress. Rainwater and sanitary sewers are being separated, old water mains replaced and repaving being done.

8) As far as employees being disgruntled, I guess anybody who works hard has a right to complain from time to time, but generally speaking I think town employees are grateful to have a job that is relatively secure; to say nothing of the fact that their contract has provided a modest salary increase.

9) Al Santos has every right to better his lot in life. That is a basic privilege. I have said before that if anything, he is over-qualified for his job with the Board of Freeholders and successfully balances his job and his duties as mayor. So what's the problem?

Santos is a bright, honest and analytical guy who has done a great job of putting together a cohesive team that has managed Kearny quite well during very difficult times. If it ain't broke, don't fix it!

Been browsing this topic. This post seems to say it all and in a very positive way. Good stuff

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Town Watch
How can the Mayor understand what property owners are faced with in being overtaxed the last 7 years, when I don't believe he even owns a home and has never payed property taxes.

Another mistep by Mayor Santos, A 1.7 million dollar contract for defective water meters. Trying to correct past mistakes and as a result the property taxpayers are left holding the bag. Nice work again Mayor. Taxes have gone up every year he has been Mayor and now look at your water bill and see if he is looking out for your interests. Its time this town sends a message to Santos and Doyle and make change with a chance to elect people that honestly have Kearny's interest first rather than have people like Santos and Doyle who have self interest as their legacy. Vote John Leadbeater for Mayor and John Campbell for 3rd Ward Council It's time for Santos and Doyle to GO!!!!!!!!!

Guest Guest
Another mistep by Mayor Santos, A 1.7 million dollar contract for defective water meters. Trying to correct past mistakes and as a result the property taxpayers are left holding the bag. Nice work again Mayor. Taxes have gone up every year he has been Mayor and now look at your water bill and see if he is looking out for your interests. Its time this town sends a message to Santos and Doyle and make change with a chance to elect people that honestly have Kearny's interest first rather than have people like Santos and Doyle who have self interest as their legacy. Vote John Leadbeater for Mayor and John Campbell for 3rd Ward Council It's time for Santos and Doyle to GO!!!!!!!!!

Same nonsense from the same whiners and complainers who just make stuff up against people they don't like.

Guest Fact checker

The defective water meters were bought when Leo Vartan was Mayor and John Leadbeater was Councilman.

Guest guest
The defective water meters were bought when Leo Vartan was Mayor and John Leadbeater was Councilman.

Amazing. Was wondering when ALL the misfortunes of the town would be blamed on Leadbeater. Still, no disputing he has been gone for 10 years and I believe it was a Democratic majority that voted for the meters. Look it up Mary.

Guest guest
Amazing. Was wondering when ALL the misfortunes of the town would be blamed on Leadbeater. Still, no disputing he has been gone for 10 years and I believe it was a Democratic majority that voted for the meters. Look it up Mary.

LEO VARTAN WANTED TO LET EAST ORANGE WATER COMPANY RUN OUR WATER DEPARTMENT WITH THE TOWN MAKING A PROFIT.WHAT HAPPENED? HE WAS VOTED OUT OF OFFICE.YET MAYOR SANTOS JUST GIVES IT AWAY COSTING THIS TOWN MILLIONS.!!!! GO FIGURE.

Guest Fact Checker

When were the telephone meters installed?

Answer: 1997 and 1998 (as part of the East Orange water deal)

Who was Mayor in 1997 and on the Council in 1998?

Answer: Leo Vartan and John Leadbeater

No one is talking about all the misfortunes of the town. Only the telephone meters. Denying reality assumes residents don't remember. They do.

I'm not Mary. But it looks like you have some kind of odd paranoid obsession with her.

Guest guest
When were the telephone meters installed?

Answer: 1997 and 1998 (as part of the East Orange water deal)

Who was Mayor in 1997 and on the Council in 1998?

Answer: Leo Vartan and John Leadbeater

No one is talking about all the misfortunes of the town. Only the telephone meters. Denying reality assumes residents don't remember. They do.

I'm not Mary. But it looks like you have some kind of odd paranoid obsession with her.

Again, fact checker, Leadbeater was OFF the council in 1997. You can try and blame him all you want, but the fact is he voted against the water deal and was not there for the meter deal. Check your minutes again. He lost to Larry Sansone in November of 96. Spin that any way you want, but you are WRONG again

Guest Town Watch

Taxes up every year he has been Mayor, $1.7 Million for water meters, Town services have been reduced while Taxes have increased year after year. The one party system in Kearny is a runaway spending train that is running people out of this town. We must make change to give balance and debate in holding our elected officials accountable. Leadbeater and Campbell offer this to the people of Kearny. November is around the corner. ARE YOU BETTER OFF THAN YOU WERE 4YEARS AGO!!!!!!!

Guest Guest
Taxes up every year he has been Mayor, $1.7 Million for water meters, Town services have been reduced while Taxes have increased year after year. The one party system in Kearny is a runaway spending train that is running people out of this town. We must make change to give balance and debate in holding our elected officials accountable. Leadbeater and Campbell offer this to the people of Kearny. November is around the corner. ARE YOU BETTER OFF THAN YOU WERE 4YEARS AGO!!!!!!!

We're doing pretty well here in Kearny and we're not about to hand power over to people who have nothing to offer but the same repetitive complaining.

Guest Fact Checker
Again, fact checker, Leadbeater was OFF the council in 1997. You can try and blame him all you want, but the fact is he voted against the water deal and was not there for the meter deal. Check your minutes again. He lost to Larry Sansone in November of 96. Spin that any way you want, but you are WRONG again

Re-read my last posting on this thread. I said Leadbeater was on the council in 1998. I was correct. Leadbeater was re-elected in November 1997. The water meter vote was 1998. You should keep better notes.

Guest Town Watch

We pay more in total property taxes than any town in the area. This Mayor has raised taxes every year he has been in office. He blamed everything on everyone else and has taken credit for just the things he thinks are good. Lost the hospital, drug treatment center in town, applied a "SANTAX" on recreation sports programs where parents have to pay fees to enroll their children in sports, lost the train station, reduced town services and increased taxes. 1.7 million for the replacement of water meters, lack of a plan to repave badly broken streets (Hello Mrs Doyle, New Lawn Ave) What a record to run on Mayor Santos, also landing a county job at $80.000 plus an expense account and car. The list of failures goes on and on and the public has had enough. Its time for the people to stand up and "SHOUT" by sending a message this November, NO MORE SANTOS!! NO MORE DOYLE!!! NO MORE CORZINE!!!!

Guest Charles Rowan
im a republican.and i think the mayor has done a great job this year..Kearny has a surplus!!!! unlike other towns around us...So i give him credit..now he just got to get the new developments going on in kearny started.

If the town has a surplus have I not been payed the portion of the law suit I won in 2004. I ony recived the check insurance company issued, but not the amount the town was to pay.

CR disabled Fire Fighter

Guest Town Watch
If the town has a surplus have I not been payed the portion of the law suit I won in 2004. I ony recived the check insurance company issued, but not the amount the town was to pay.

CR disabled Fire Fighter

How much was the legal bills to represent Kearny in the case that you won????

Guest Town Watch
We pay more in total property taxes than any town in the area. This Mayor has raised taxes every year he has been in office. He blamed everything on everyone else and has taken credit for just the things he thinks are good. Lost the hospital, drug treatment center in town, applied a "SANTAX" on recreation sports programs where parents have to pay fees to enroll their children in sports, lost the train station, reduced town services and increased taxes. 1.7 million for the replacement of water meters, lack of a plan to repave badly broken streets (Hello Mrs Doyle, New Lawn Ave) What a record to run on Mayor Santos, also landing a county job at $80.000 plus an expense account and car. The list of failures goes on and on and the public has had enough. Its time for the people to stand up and "SHOUT" by sending a message this November, NO MORE SANTOS!! NO MORE DOYLE!!! NO MORE CORZINE!!!!

No leadership from this Mayor Santos in reassuring the Townspeople that law enforcement is on the job in catching the trash that robbed that jewelry store. Not one word from someone who we expect to calm a worried and scared public. SHAME ON YOU MAYOR SANTOS!!!!!! KEARNY DESERVES BETTER!!!!!!!!!! When things get tough, He is nowhere to be found!!!!!

No leadership from this Mayor Santos in reassuring the Townspeople that law enforcement is on the job in catching the trash that robbed that jewelry store. Not one word from someone who we expect to calm a worried and scared public. SHAME ON YOU MAYOR SANTOS!!!!!! KEARNY DESERVES BETTER!!!!!!!!!! When things get tough, He is nowhere to be found!!!!!

Oh, grow up.

The mayor is vacationing in Portugal, he went before this happen. Shame on you for not trying to call his office before posting and being an idiot for trying to get a cheap power play on this event.

Oh, grow up.

ARE YOU SERIOUS?GROW UP!!THE MAYOR SHOULD MADE A STATEMENT TO THE PEOPLE OF KEARNY TO REASSURE US THAT OUR POLICE DEPT. IS DOING EVERYTHING POSSIBLE TO CAPTURE THESE LOWLIFE KILLERS.INSTEAD HE IS NOWHERE TO BE FOUND.GREAT JOB MAYOR!!PEOPLE OF THE TOWN OF KEARNY WAKE UP GET RID OF THIS GUY.

Had Enough Taxpayers of Kearny, Its time to let your voices be heard. Mayor Santos is a career politican who in his years as Mayor has managed to secure a high paying job working for the county, the same county he denounced years ago. While gas prices continue to rise he gets an expense account and county vehicle. Our Taxes have increased every year he has been Mayor. Its time to make a clean sweep and throw him and everyone on his council out of office in November. One party goverment doesn't work in Kearny. Come One, Come All, Let your Vote count. Mayor Santos, In to Long!!!! ITS TIME FOR HIM AND HIS COUNCILPEOPLE TO GO!!!!!!!!!!

I AGREE.......

ARE YOU SERIOUS?GROW UP!!THE MAYOR SHOULD MADE A STATEMENT TO THE PEOPLE OF KEARNY TO REASSURE US THAT OUR POLICE DEPT. IS DOING EVERYTHING POSSIBLE TO CAPTURE THESE LOWLIFE KILLERS.INSTEAD HE IS NOWHERE TO BE FOUND.GREAT JOB MAYOR!!PEOPLE OF THE TOWN OF KEARNY WAKE UP GET RID OF THIS GUY.

Dumb idiot he in Portugal.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Charles Rowan
How much was the legal bills to represent Kearny in the case that you won????

I have no idea how much the town paid, but the state ordered them to return to duty and they chose to fight. So it was the town's decision to incur the cost and not pay what they lost was there oun decission. I paid my lawyer for his services not the town.

Charles Rowan

Guest All Tapped Out

No more tax increases, This Mayor is unable to stabilize taxes, Time for change is now, Leadbeater deserves a chance.

Same old Republican blather from the same old Republican. Meaningless.

Same old Santos drivel from the same old Santos supporters. Santos has had 8 years to be meaningful, but instead what we in Kearny find is absolutely meaningless. The problem is those who are not Santos supporters have been hurt in many ways because of his meaninglessness.

We're doing pretty well here in Kearny and we're not about to hand power over to people who have nothing to offer but the same repetitive complaining.

I would like to hand power over to people who will actually get things done; who will follow through on development plans, who will be more creative and innovative, who will take actions and make decisions rather than rely on an army of attorneys for guidance and opinions; I prefer to hand power over to others who will lead rather than float aimlessly in the muddle of indecision.

Instead of repetitive nothingness I would like to see progress.