Mayor Santos, Corzine, to Blame for years of spending

Guest Town Watch

Guest Guest
Its interesting that the Mayor has said that this budget has no tax increase, no layoffs, but has failed to explain what would happen next year. I believe this is an election year gimmick just to secure his re-election.

What a miserable whiner and loser you are. By averting layoffs and tax increases this Mayor and town are doing better than 90% of NJ Towns who have had tax increases and layoffs.

And then you call it a gimmick and whine what will happen next year.

To say that you are stupid is a compliment to you.

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Chicken Little Buster
Its interesting that the Mayor has said that this budget has no tax increase, no layoffs, but has failed to explain what would happen next year. I believe this is an election year gimmick just to secure his re-election. Its like shuffling the chairs of the titanic. My prediction is this ship (KEARNY) will sink next year with Increased Property Taxes, Muncipal Layoffs, Take it to the bank this Lawyer is trying to put one over on the hard working property owners of Kearny. What do we get for our tax dollar in this town? What has this Mayor done to make this town better? NOTHING. Look at the attorney fees that are being payed out to all his lawyer buddies. And then they cut the Recreation budget, Does that make sense? Town services are at an all time low for the taxes that we pay. Employee moral is at the lowest it been ever in the town"s history. Mr D'Arco has taken the heart and pride that has been a benchmark in this town out of the employees. Mr Leadbeater offers a change that will look at the human side of understanding what people are going threw in these tough times. My hope is that Kearny will give this Mayor a big wake up call and elect Mr Leadbeater as the Mayor of what was once a great town. It can be great again but it won't if we contiune to elect Santos and his self serving interests (COUNTY JOB) (COUNTY CAR) (EXPENSE ACCOUNT) This Mayor thinks he has this election locked up, My hope is that Mr Leadbeater will give him a run for his money. Take it to him John!!! I believe you can beat this guy! Work hard and get your message out. YOU HAVE GUTS JOHN, AND THATS WHAT THIS TOWN NEEDS RIGHT NOW. GUTS!!!!!

Kearny's budget year ends on June 30 every year. You'll soon have a new budget for the 2009-2010 budget year and an audit for this year. I don't have a crystal ball, but what if the opposite of what you're saying occurs and the town's surplus goes up?

No layoffs. No furloughts. No paycuts. Why would employee morale be down??

Guest Town Watch
Kearny's budget year ends on June 30 every year. You'll soon have a new budget for the 2009-2010 budget year and an audit for this year. I don't have a crystal ball, but what if the opposite of what you're saying occurs and the town's surplus goes up?

No layoffs. No furloughts. No paycuts. Why would employee morale be down??

This Mayor can do amazing things in a re-election year. Simply Amazing!!!!!!!!!!! The Titanic (KEARNY) will sink in 2009. That's a safe prediction.

Guest taxed to the max
:lol: I am also very upset with this administration. I am a Dem. at heart but will be voting for John Leadbeater also. I too think they are trying to pull the wool over our eyes till after the election. There is a lot of wasted money. I cant believe they are cutting rec. funding. Instead they should be cutting the fat and there is a lot of it.

Guest Guest
:lol: I am also very upset with this administration. I am a Dem. at heart but will be voting for John Leadbeater also. I too think they are trying to pull the wool over our eyes till after the election. There is a lot of wasted money. I cant believe they are cutting rec. funding. Instead they should be cutting the fat and there is a lot of it.

The same boneheads always post here, pretending to be Democrats. They're really Republicans and they come here and whine about all the waste and "fat." But when you ask them what they're talking about, they can't tell you.

The Mayor is doing a good job. He should win re-election.

Guest Town Watch

Poor services in Kearny has resulted in Mayor Santos lack of attention to the repaving of Davis Avenue. Mayor you have to finish the job. There are no yellow lines painted and for safety purposes this should have been done right after the repaving project (which by the way took forever to get done in the first place), Poor Town Services, High Property Taxes, Lack of attention to address the taxpayers concerns, Its time to wake up Kearny and throw this man out. We need change badly!!

Guest Town Watch
Its interesting that the Mayor has said that this budget has no tax increase, no layoffs, but has failed to explain what would happen next year. I believe this is an election year gimmick just to secure his re-election. Its like shuffling the chairs of the titanic. My prediction is this ship (KEARNY) will sink next year with Increased Property Taxes, Muncipal Layoffs, Take it to the bank this Lawyer is trying to put one over on the hard working property owners of Kearny. What do we get for our tax dollar in this town? What has this Mayor done to make this town better? NOTHING. Look at the attorney fees that are being payed out to all his lawyer buddies. And then they cut the Recreation budget, Does that make sense? Town services are at an all time low for the taxes that we pay. Employee moral is at the lowest it been ever in the town"s history. Mr D'Arco has taken the heart and pride that has been a benchmark in this town out of the employees. Mr Leadbeater offers a change that will look at the human side of understanding what people are going threw in these tough times. My hope is that Kearny will give this Mayor a big wake up call and elect Mr Leadbeater as the Mayor of what was once a great town. It can be great again but it won't if we contiune to elect Santos and his self serving interests (COUNTY JOB) (COUNTY CAR) (EXPENSE ACCOUNT) This Mayor thinks he has this election locked up, My hope is that Mr Leadbeater will give him a run for his money. Take it to him John!!! I believe you can beat this guy! Work hard and get your message out. YOU HAVE GUTS JOHN, AND THATS WHAT THIS TOWN NEEDS RIGHT NOW. GUTS!!!!!

The Santos Adminstration in the last 7 years has, Lost West Hudson Hospital, Lost the train station, Did nothing to prevent a drug rehab center in Kearny, crime is up, taxes contuine to increase year after year, Town Services have been reduced while legal services have increased, Roadways are a mess, Employee Moral is at an all time low, Street Cleaning is marginal at best, Was able to land a county job making $80.000 per year, (County Car) (Expense Account). Hello, What's wrong with this picture? This town can't take another 4 years of Santos. Wake up Kearny and send a message in November and let Santos know you vote won't be taken for granted.

Guest I M Politico
The Santos Adminstration in the last 7 years has, Lost West Hudson Hospital, Lost the train station, Did nothing to prevent a drug rehab center in Kearny, crime is up, taxes contuine to increase year after year, Town Services have been reduced while legal services have increased, Roadways are a mess, Employee Moral is at an all time low, Street Cleaning is marginal at best, Was able to land a county job making $80.000 per year, (County Car) (Expense Account). Hello, What's wrong with this picture? This town can't take another 4 years of Santos. Wake up Kearny and send a message in November and let Santos know you vote won't be taken for granted.

My, my, one does tend to rant when one knows nothing of which one speaks! Let's dissect your tantrum one statement at a time, shall we?

1) Santos & Co. did not lose West Hudson Hospital because it was neither within their individual nor collective powers to save it. The State calls the shots on situations where PRIVATE health care institutions petition to close or modify their operations. Local officials did everything possible to dissuade the state officials from signing off on the demise of our hospital.

2) Unfortunately, Mr. Santos does not own the railroad or dictate to federal authorities as to how railroad services will be delivered. However, he is a small town mayor with enough "smarts" to convince them that Kearny would be the most likely place to advance commuter transportation (as in Light Rail) which is why in the near future, we will indeed have a train station just east of the Bergen /Schuyler intersection. Don't you read the papers?

3) A drug rehab is not necessarily a bad thing. God knows there is a need for such a service. If properly run, these facilities can be discreet as well as beneficial. Did you know that Kearny has been home to a drug and alcohol counseling/treatment center right in the heart of town for over 25 years----without incident?

4) Don't know where you got your crime stats. I got mine from the KPD, confirmed by the Hudson County Prosecutors Office. Crime in most major categories has been on the decrease in Kearny over the last six years.

5) What town services have been reduced? Name two.

6) If streets don't look as clean as you would like, maybe you should get tough every time you see a motorist empty his ashtray in the curb or a kid drops his iced tea container in the middle of the avenue. DPW doesn't have the time or the desire to follow slobs around town.

7) While you complain about roadways being a mess, I see progress. Rainwater and sanitary sewers are being separated, old water mains replaced and repaving being done.

8) As far as employees being disgruntled, I guess anybody who works hard has a right to complain from time to time, but generally speaking I think town employees are grateful to have a job that is relatively secure; to say nothing of the fact that their contract has provided a modest salary increase.

9) Al Santos has every right to better his lot in life. That is a basic privilege. I have said before that if anything, he is over-qualified for his job with the Board of Freeholders and successfully balances his job and his duties as mayor. So what's the problem?

Santos is a bright, honest and analytical guy who has done a great job of putting together a cohesive team that has managed Kearny quite well during very difficult times. If it ain't broke, don't fix it!

Guest Town Watch
My, my, one does tend to rant when one knows nothing of which one speaks! Let's dissect your tantrum one statement at a time, shall we?

1) Santos & Co. did not lose West Hudson Hospital because it was neither within their individual nor collective powers to save it. The State calls the shots on situations where PRIVATE health care institutions petition to close or modify their operations. Local officials did everything possible to dissuade the state officials from signing off on the demise of our hospital.

2) Unfortunately, Mr. Santos does not own the railroad or dictate to federal authorities as to how railroad services will be delivered. However, he is a small town mayor with enough "smarts" to convince them that Kearny would be the most likely place to advance commuter transportation (as in Light Rail) which is why in the near future, we will indeed have a train station just east of the Bergen /Schuyler intersection. Don't you read the papers?

3) A drug rehab is not necessarily a bad thing. God knows there is a need for such a service. If properly run, these facilities can be discreet as well as beneficial. Did you know that Kearny has been home to a drug and alcohol counseling/treatment center right in the heart of town for over 25 years----without incident?

4) Don't know where you got your crime stats. I got mine from the KPD, confirmed by the Hudson County Prosecutors Office. Crime in most major categories has been on the decrease in Kearny over the last six years.

6) If streets don't look as clean as you would like, maybe you should get tough every time you see a motorist empty his ashtray in the curb or a kid drops his iced tea container in the middle of the avenue. DPW doesn't have the time or the desire to follow slobs around town.

7) While you complain about roadways being a mess, I see progress. Rainwater and sanitary sewers are being separated, old water mains replaced and repaving being done.

8) As far as employees being disgruntled, I guess anybody who works hard has a right to complain from time to time, but generally speaking I think town employees are grateful to have a job that is relatively secure; to say nothing of the fact that their contract has provided a modest salary increase.

9) Al Santos has every right to better his lot in life. That is a basic privilege. I have said before that if anything, he is over-qualified for his job with the Board of Freeholders and successfully balances his job and his duties as mayor. So what's the problem?

Santos is a bright, honest and analytical guy who has done a great job of putting together a cohesive team that has managed Kearny quite well during very difficult times. If it ain't broke, don't fix it!

My, My, The Town Hall Spin Doctors spent alot of time answering my post, Phone polls must not be telling you what you want to hear, You forgot the most important part of the post, and that is increased property taxes every year Santos has been Mayor. Its very easy to look like the hero when all you have to do is wave your magic hand and presto, Raise Property Taxes on the people, they can handle the increase even in a bad economy. As for your other responses I will be answering them in due time, I don't work on the clock.

Guest Guest

Spin all you want. If it looks like a dump, it probably is a dump.

Guest I M Politico
My, My, The Town Hall Spin Doctors spent alot of time answering my post, Phone polls must not be telling you what you want to hear, You forgot the most important part of the post, and that is increased property taxes every year Santos has been Mayor. Its very easy to look like the hero when all you have to do is wave your magic hand and presto, Raise Property Taxes on the people, they can handle the increase even in a bad economy. As for your other responses I will be answering them in due time, I don't work on the clock.

It's way too early for phone polls, but rest assured that when and if they become a reality, the mayor and his running mates will gather many more favorable comments than criticism. Anyone who hasn't been living in a cave knows that every municipality under the sun has been increasing taxes during the period leading to our current global fiscal crisis. The major difference is that Kearny has managed to survive without the threat of bankruptcy, without layoffs, without any serious cutbacks in crucial services and without state or federal auditors examining questionable financial practices.

I repeat what I have said countless times on this site: NO ELECTED OFFICIAL RELISHES RAISING TAXES. The tax levy has been the death knell for many a political career. This administration has disregarded that axiom and has made responsible, if not always popular, choices.

The Santos administration has been anything but cavalier in setting a budget and the subsequent funding for that budget, but tough times call for tough measures. The Mayor and Council have made those tough decisions and have kept Kearny functioning.

BTW: I'm sure if you really knew your way around the internet, you could find out that my posts do not come from Town Hall. (And "spin doctor" seems to be a term for anyone who bests you in a discussion.)

Guest I M Politico
Spin all you want. If it looks like a dump, it probably is a dump.

And if it tastes like sour grapes, it probably is! You know what "sour grapes" are? The kind you use for "whine".

Guest Guest
And if it tastes like sour grapes, it probably is! You know what "sour grapes" are? The kind you use for "whine".

Sour grapes, how do you figure?

Your roads are a wreck. A cruise down Kearny Ave reveals what has become a ghetto over the past several years. Passaic Ave looks like Berlin after a B17 raid.

You think this is good for $7,000+ in property taxes? You can have it.

Guest guest
Sour grapes, how do you figure?

Your roads are a wreck. A cruise down Kearny Ave reveals what has become a ghetto over the past several years. Passaic Ave looks like Berlin after a B17 raid.

You think this is good for $7,000+ in property taxes? You can have it.

RIGHT ON.WHAT TAXES DOES THE MAYOR PAY?NONE HE RENTS AN APARTMENT IN KEARNY? OR NEWARK,(CHESTNUT ST NEWARK NJ)?HE FORGOT ABOUT KEARNY ($75,000.00 DOLLAR JOB FROM THE COUNTY-MEDICAL AND CAR ALLOWANCE ALSO.HE GOT WHAT HE WANTED.)

Guest Longtime Kearny Resident
It's way too early for phone polls, but rest assured that when and if they become a reality, the mayor and his running mates will gather many more favorable comments than criticism. Anyone who hasn't been living in a cave knows that every municipality under the sun has been increasing taxes during the period leading to our current global fiscal crisis. The major difference is that Kearny has managed to survive without the threat of bankruptcy, without layoffs, without any serious cutbacks in crucial services and without state or federal auditors examining questionable financial practices.

I repeat what I have said countless times on this site: NO ELECTED OFFICIAL RELISHES RAISING TAXES. The tax levy has been the death knell for many a political career. This administration has disregarded that axiom and has made responsible, if not always popular, choices.

The Santos administration has been anything but cavalier in setting a budget and the subsequent funding for that budget, but tough times call for tough measures. The Mayor and Council have made those tough decisions and have kept Kearny functioning.

BTW: I'm sure if you really knew your way around the internet, you could find out that my posts do not come from Town Hall. (And "spin doctor" seems to be a term for anyone who bests you in a discussion.)

"Spin Doctor" is a term used to discribe people who distort the facts to hide the failures of an adminstration that has been self servicing over the past 7 years and has "NEVER" made an attempt to stabilize property taxes. Santos has increased taxes every year he has been Mayor. The public will weigh in this November and will not best you in a discussion, but in the election. I say this to the taxpayers of Kearny, ARE YOU BETTER OFF THAN YOU WERE 4 YEARS AGO? I ask you that question.

Guest I M Politico
"Spin Doctor" is a term used to discribe people who distort the facts to hide the failures of an adminstration that has been self servicing over the past 7 years and has "NEVER" made an attempt to stabilize property taxes. Santos has increased taxes every year he has been Mayor. The public will weigh in this November and will not best you in a discussion, but in the election. I say this to the taxpayers of Kearny, ARE YOU BETTER OFF THAN YOU WERE 4 YEARS AGO? I ask you that question.

Please. You do me a disservice. Of course I am aware of the actual definition of the term "spin doctor". I have merely pointed out that on this site is it grossly misused.

Apparently logic and fact have no place in the formation of your opinion. You make it sound as though the mayor gets up every morning and thinks of ways to increase the tax burden on the people whose vote will determine his political service. Does that sound feasible to you? Of course not!

I have a question for you. Are we not better off than 80% of the surrounding municipalities whose leadership took the easy way out by putting off tax increases to insure political expediency? You betcha!

Guest Long Timer as Well

Yes, yes I am better off than 4 years ago. Services have gotten better and my taxes are about 10% higher than 4 years ago. That's less than inflation so I'm better off in real tax dollars.

Guest guest
Yes, yes I am better off than 4 years ago. Services have gotten better and my taxes are about 10% higher than 4 years ago. That's less than inflation so I'm better off in real tax dollars.

Who are you kidding????? Taxes have gone up nearly 70% since the mayor took office. It must be so nice to have 2 WONDERFUL WOMEN, working for the mayor, who keep responding for him. In fact the mayor quietly took 2 million dollars to reopen the Keegan Landfill and has not budgeted for the over 7 million still owed to the police and fire pension system. Where is this years budget at????? Will it contain the repayment to the pension????? Or is it just a gimmick to get through the election????? Inquiring minds want to know

Guest Long Timer
Who are you kidding????? Taxes have gone up nearly 70% since the mayor took office. It must be so nice to have 2 WONDERFUL WOMEN, working for the mayor, who keep responding for him. In fact the mayor quietly took 2 million dollars to reopen the Keegan Landfill and has not budgeted for the over 7 million still owed to the police and fire pension system. Where is this years budget at????? Will it contain the repayment to the pension????? Or is it just a gimmick to get through the election????? Inquiring minds want to know

You asked a question and you were given an answer. I am better off than 4 years ago.

As to the The Keegan landfill, the Mayor has talked about it ad nauseum. In letters, at meetings. Over and over.

Where did you pull the $7 million for the pension from? I checked the State web site and don't see that number anywhere.

Is that all you have? (just one question mark -- I'll pass on the histrionics).

Guest Town Watch

Make that 8 straight years property taxes have gone up under Mayor Santos. I ask the taxpayers of Kearny again "ARE YOU BETTER OFF THAN YOU WERE 4 YEARS AGO".

Guest *Taxpayer*

Can one of the 2 town payed women in town hall who read these posts explain this money that is owed to the pension system. Will this cause future tax increases and a reducton in the work force in the next budget and after the election.

Guest Guest
Make that 8 straight years property taxes have gone up under Mayor Santos. I ask the taxpayers of Kearny again "ARE YOU BETTER OFF THAN YOU WERE 4 YEARS AGO".

You can ask all you want, it's not gonna work. People know better.

1. Property taxes rise because of factors outside the mayor's control.

2. You don't have a viable alternative candidate to replace Mayor Santos.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Long Time Property Owner
Had Enough Taxpayers of Kearny, Its time to let your voices be heard. Mayor Santos is a career politican who in his years as Mayor has managed to secure a high paying job working for the county, the same county he denounced years ago. While gas prices continue to rise he gets an expense account and county vehicle. Our Taxes have increased every year he has been Mayor. Its time to make a clean sweep and throw him and everyone on his council out of office in November. One party goverment doesn't work in Kearny. Come One, Come All, Let your Vote count. Mayor Santos, In to Long!!!! ITS TIME FOR HIM AND HIS COUNCILPEOPLE TO GO!!!!!!!!!!

How can the Mayor understand what property owners are faced with in being overtaxed the last 7 years, when I don't believe he even owns a home and has never payed property taxes.

Guest Guest
How can the Mayor understand what property owners are faced with in being overtaxed the last 7 years, when I don't believe he even owns a home and has never payed property taxes.

Because he has a brain and he can count.