Mayor Santos, Corzine, to Blame for years of spending

Guest Town Watch

Guest Town Watch

Had Enough Taxpayers of Kearny, Its time to let your voices be heard. Mayor Santos is a career politican who in his years as Mayor has managed to secure a high paying job working for the county, the same county he denounced years ago. While gas prices continue to rise he gets an expense account and county vehicle. Our Taxes have increased every year he has been Mayor. Its time to make a clean sweep and throw him and everyone on his council out of office in November. One party goverment doesn't work in Kearny. Come One, Come All, Let your Vote count. Mayor Santos, In to Long!!!! ITS TIME FOR HIM AND HIS COUNCILPEOPLE TO GO!!!!!!!!!!

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Guest
Had Enough Taxpayers of Kearny, Its time to let your voices be heard. Mayor Santos is a career politican who in his years as Mayor has managed to secure a high paying job working for the county, the same county he denounced years ago. While gas prices continue to rise he gets an expense account and county vehicle. Our Taxes have increased every year he has been Mayor. Its time to make a clean sweep and throw him and everyone on his council out of office in November. One party goverment doesn't work in Kearny. Come One, Come All, Let your Vote count. Mayor Santos, In to Long!!!! ITS TIME FOR HIM AND HIS COUNCILPEOPLE TO GO!!!!!!!!!!

Same old Republican blather from the same old Republican. Meaningless.

Guest Guest

im a republican.and i think the mayor has done a great job this year..Kearny has a surplus!!!! unlike other towns around us...So i give him credit..now he just got to get the new developments going on in kearny started.

Guest 1st warder
im a republican.and i think the mayor has done a great job this year..Kearny has a surplus!!!! unlike other towns around us...So i give him credit..now he just got to get the new developments going on in kearny started.

He can start with getting the weeds cut on the sidewalk on Belgrove Drive in front of the "bat factory". Why has he allowed this property to remain in the condition it has been for years. Aren't there any maintenance codes that can be brought against the owner. This is the 1st impression people get of Kearny and it's not a good one. Weeds and more weeds and what looks like a war zone with abandoned buildings and overgrown weeds.

Mayor, don't you live in the 1st ward (or visit your mother there). You have got to have noticed this already.

Guest Real First Warder
He can start with getting the weeds cut on the sidewalk on Belgrove Drive in front of the "bat factory". Why has he allowed this property to remain in the condition it has been for years. Aren't there any maintenance codes that can be brought against the owner. This is the 1st impression people get of Kearny and it's not a good one. Weeds and more weeds and what looks like a war zone with abandoned buildings and overgrown weeds.

Mayor, don't you live in the 1st ward (or visit your mother there). You have got to have noticed this already.

The property is in Chapter 7 Bankruptcy. It's contaminated and also under Dept of Environmental Supervision.

Guest Guest

While I am no great fan of the Mayor, it's hard to lay the blame of that eyesore at his feet. That property has gotten progressively worse since the fire, approx. 1987. Numerous administrations have avoided dealing with that particular issue.

I agree that it needs to be dealt with, but somehow I see an army of lawyers standing in the way of something ACTUALLY getting done.

Guest Studies and Observations

Yes there is a Surplus.... Yet there are roads in Kearny that look like Washboards, and no, i'm NOT talking about South Kearny (Which is a whole other issue, but one that is not limited to Santos, but to every mayor for Decades), I've seen Fire engines going down the street with Chains wrapped around the Axles, or leaking like sieves as they stop for a traffic light. Curbs and lines are Unpainted, Signs are faded or missing, i can go on and on. Having a Surplus is one thing when the machine is running well and all maintenance is done. Having a Surplus when things are falling apart doesnt help much though when you Know the repair bills will be coming soon.

Once the town Siezes that property they are also responsible for cleaning it up, Hazardous-waste-wise, which I Believe is WHY that property is still in the condition it is. IIRC that entire property is contaminanted.

Guest guest

It's not the towns fault at all. The property is an environmental hazard that the EPA is taking care of, complain to the feds if you want something done.

Guest 1st warder
It's not the towns fault at all. The property is an environmental hazard that the EPA is taking care of, complain to the feds if you want something done.

If the property is in Bankruptcy, then send the violations to the trustee. He's responsible for the upkeep of the property. I'm not talking about the weeds inside the property, I'm referring to the huge weed trees all along the sidewalk on Belgrove. I know if my weeds were that high, I'd get a summons in the mail. So hit the trustee with a summons.

Mayor Santos is full of excuses for that property but there is a lot he could do and hasn't, I wonder why?

Guest Real First Warder
If the property is in Bankruptcy, then send the violations to the trustee. He's responsible for the upkeep of the property. I'm not talking about the weeds inside the property, I'm referring to the huge weed trees all along the sidewalk on Belgrove. I know if my weeds were that high, I'd get a summons in the mail. So hit the trustee with a summons.

Mayor Santos is full of excuses for that property but there is a lot he could do and hasn't, I wonder why?

What makes you think the trustee hasn't received a violations notice?? So unless you want to spend thousands in legal fees in federal court to collect a $50 fine, I'm not sure the trustee is your answer.

You ignored the fact that the property is under NJ DEP supervision because of environmental contamination. That pretty much limits what anyone can do with that site until the millions needed for clean up is raised. Who do you think should pay for that?? It won't be the bankrupt owner. It won't be the trustee. It won't be the State of New Jersey. And the federal superfund takes 20+ years. Do you have any suggestions?

Guest Guest
What makes you think the trustee hasn't received a violations notice?? So unless you want to spend thousands in legal fees in federal court to collect a $50 fine, I'm not sure the trustee is your answer.

You ignored the fact that the property is under NJ DEP supervision because of environmental contamination. That pretty much limits what anyone can do with that site until the millions needed for clean up is raised. Who do you think should pay for that?? It won't be the bankrupt owner. It won't be the trustee. It won't be the State of New Jersey. And the federal superfund takes 20+ years. Do you have any suggestions?

Since when does this administration have a problem with spending money on lawyers?? I believe one firm cleared well over $500,000 on litigation last year. But, don't take my word for it, call your councilperson and ask. Heck, call the Mayor and ask.

Guest 1st warder

The trustee didn't receive a Summons. The fine is a daily fine so it accumulates. If I were Mayor, I would get either (1) the DPW guys to cut the weeds and keep track of their time and bill the trustee and put a lien on the property; (2) if the DPW guys balked at the challenge (I doubt they would), I'd get some power tools and get out there to cut the weeds with a bunch of volunteers ie. community service.

If the place is so contaminated why are we 1st warders getting exposed to it. Let's get Washington's stimulus money to clean it up.

Oh, I forgot Santos supported Clinton not Obama.

Guest Paul
What's been meaningless is one-party, democratic rule for the past eight years. What's been meaningless is an ineffective Mayor and Council.

With all due respect, the people of Kearny have voted for Democrats because we believe the Democrats that have run for these offices are preferable to the Republicans. If the Republicans wish to change the situation, then they must put up candidates who gain the people's trust by offering us a more appealing alternative.

Guest Real First Warder
The trustee didn't receive a Summons. The fine is a daily fine so it accumulates. If I were Mayor, I would get either (1) the DPW guys to cut the weeds and keep track of their time and bill the trustee and put a lien on the property; (2) if the DPW guys balked at the challenge (I doubt they would), I'd get some power tools and get out there to cut the weeds with a bunch of volunteers ie. community service.

If the place is so contaminated why are we 1st warders getting exposed to it. Let's get Washington's stimulus money to clean it up.

Oh, I forgot Santos supported Clinton not Obama.

Fact: the property owner and truste received summonses

Fact: the town DPW does clean up properties and the town levies a lien on the property

Fact: the bat factory site is contaminated.

Fact: sending town workers or volunteers to a contaminated site is dangerous, legally if not healthwise.

Fact: unless you go on the bat factory property and kick up the dirt, you're not in harm

Fact: Santos supported Clinton in the primary and Obama in the general election

Conclusion: you're hell bent on bashing Santos irrespective of the facts.

Guest 1st warder

Fact: the town DPW does clean up properties and the town levies a lien on the property

Fact: sending town workers or volunteers to a contaminated site is dangerous, legally if not healthwise.

Fact: unless you go on the bat factory property and kick up the dirt, you're not in harm

Fact: the weeds are still all along the sidewalk.

Conclusion: you are hell bent on giving Santos praise irrespective of the facts.

Guest Studies and Observations

I doubt ANYONE here would call me a Santos Supporter, in fact the last Democrat I voted for in this town was Pete McIntyre, mainly because the Vartan (Republican) administration was so Incredibly corrupt and inept they make Santos and Crew look positively glowing. That's the problem here even though it's been over a decade, people see "Republican" and think "Vartan...ESPECIALLY when John Ledbeater is the one trying to step in. (Sorry John you're a great guy, but you're forever linked to Leo, kind of like how Condi Rice will forever be Linked to GWB). The SIMPLE fact is, once the town does ANYTHING to that property, even trimming the weeds, they in essence claim responsibility for EVERYTHING..including the millions of dollars in toxic waste cleanup. It s**ks but it Is what it is. Unless of course as Kearny Taxpayers you WANT to foot the bill, in which case that 4 million dollar "Surplus" will evaporate quicker than Guinness at the Irish Club.

Guest Real First Warder
Fact: the weeds are still all along the sidewalk.

Conclusion: you are hell bent on giving Santos praise irrespective of the facts.

Since you haven't addressed any of the facts in the posting above, there's no use in trying to reason with you.

I'm not praising Santos. I'm trying to explain the complexity of the bat factory property.

Guest 1st Warder
Since you haven't addressed any of the facts in the posting above, there's no use in trying to reason with you.

I'm not praising Santos. I'm trying to explain the complexity of the bat factory property.

How do you know that unless your the mayor or a councilman. If they did then why hasn't the Mayor voiced public outrage at the current state of the property.

Perfect. They need to do it more often because the weeds on the sidewalk are 6 feet high.

And the Mayor has been promising redevelopment for years but nothing has happened. When is it going to get cleaned up? Isn't there some economic stimulus money that can designated by Santos' friend Menendez for such a nice town as Kearny.

I'm not talking about the inside of the property. I'm talking about the sidewalk. Is that contaminated too? If so, let's cement it [cap it] and send the owner another tax lien.

So you say. I'm sure some kids go in and kick up the dirt on occasion. There are no signs stating it's dangerous and contaminated so how would one know.

Santos was all over Clinton when he thought that was good for him. He then switched candidates when Obama won the primary. That's not leadership. That's a spinless politician.

Not really but I'm not going to convince you otherwise because you'll follow Santos off the cliff because he'll cut you down if you don't. Keep following or else.

Guest Real First Warder

How do you know that unless your the mayor or a councilman. If they did then why hasn't the Mayor voiced public outrage at the current state of the property.

Because I asked the Clerk's office. "Outrage" over weeds? With taxes, safety, streets, etc., I think weeds is not outrage material.

Fact: the town DPW does clean up properties and the town levies a lien on the property.

Perfect. They need to do it more often because the weeds on the sidewalk are 6 feet high.

They would if it were safe. You conveniently forgot that part.

And the Mayor has been promising redevelopment for years but nothing has happened. When is it going to get cleaned up? Isn't there some economic stimulus money that can designated by Santos' friend Menendez for such a nice town as Kearny.

Like $10 million in a blink of an eye? Even with all the printing presses going at full speed at the Federal Reserve, there's nowhere near that much money to go around. (Ask the City of Newark, for example, and Mayor Booker, an early Obama supporter.)

I'm not talking about the inside of the property. I'm talking about the sidewalk. Is that contaminated too? If so, let's cement it [cap it] and send the owner another tax lien.

Two major problems with that response: you can't cap without DEP approval; DEP requires engineering and that requires money.

So you say. I'm sure some kids go in and kick up the dirt on occasion. There are no signs stating it's dangerous and contaminated so how would one know.[/i]

I agree there should be better signage.

Santos was all over Clinton when he thought that was good for him. He then switched candidates when Obama won the primary. That's not leadership. That's a spinless politician.

3/4 of the Democratic leaders in NJ supported Clinton in the primary. 60% of New Jersey Democrats voted for Clinton at the polls. Democrats nationwide were split down the middle. I don't know how picking Clinton or Obama in a primary election is a commentary on leadership. (Isn't Clinton the Secretary of State?) And what has Cory Booker's early support of Obama gotten the City of Newark?

Not really but I'm not going to convince you otherwise because you'll follow Santos off the cliff because he'll cut you down if you don't. Keep following or else.

Saying I'm a Santos supporter is not a response to my point that you are an unobjective Santos critic.

Guest guest

Because I asked the Clerk's office. "Outrage" over weeds? With taxes, safety, streets, etc., I think weeds is not outrage material.

Fact: the town DPW does clean up properties and the town levies a lien on the property.

They would if it were safe. You conveniently forgot that part.

Like $10 million in a blink of an eye? Even with all the printing presses going at full speed at the Federal Reserve, there's nowhere near that much money to go around. (Ask the City of Newark, for example, and Mayor Booker, an early Obama supporter.)

Two major problems with that response: you can't cap without DEP approval; DEP requires engineering and that requires money.

So you say. I'm sure some kids go in and kick up the dirt on occasion. There are no signs stating it's dangerous and contaminated so how would one know.[/i]

I agree there should be better signage.

3/4 of the Democratic leaders in NJ supported Clinton in the primary. 60% of New Jersey Democrats voted for Clinton at the polls. Democrats nationwide were split down the middle. I don't know how picking Clinton or Obama in a primary election is a commentary on leadership. (Isn't Clinton the Secretary of State?) And what has Cory Booker's early support of Obama gotten the City of Newark?

Saying I'm a Santos supporter is not a response to my point that you are an unobjective Santos critic.

Mary, it's sooooooooooo nice of you continuing to defend Santos. I guess because YOUR job depends on it, huh!!!!!

Guest Real First Warder
Mary, it's sooooooooooo nice of you continuing to defend Santos. I guess because YOUR job depends on it, huh!!!!!

My name is not Mary. Keep going down your First Ward list. (I'm male.)

Guest Town Watch

Its interesting that the Mayor has said that this budget has no tax increase, no layoffs, but has failed to explain what would happen next year. I believe this is an election year gimmick just to secure his re-election. Its like shuffling the chairs of the titanic. My prediction is this ship (KEARNY) will sink next year with Increased Property Taxes, Muncipal Layoffs, Take it to the bank this Lawyer is trying to put one over on the hard working property owners of Kearny. What do we get for our tax dollar in this town? What has this Mayor done to make this town better? NOTHING. Look at the attorney fees that are being payed out to all his lawyer buddies. And then they cut the Recreation budget, Does that make sense? Town services are at an all time low for the taxes that we pay. Employee moral is at the lowest it been ever in the town"s history. Mr D'Arco has taken the heart and pride that has been a benchmark in this town out of the employees. Mr Leadbeater offers a change that will look at the human side of understanding what people are going threw in these tough times. My hope is that Kearny will give this Mayor a big wake up call and elect Mr Leadbeater as the Mayor of what was once a great town. It can be great again but it won't if we contiune to elect Santos and his self serving interests (COUNTY JOB) (COUNTY CAR) (EXPENSE ACCOUNT) This Mayor thinks he has this election locked up, My hope is that Mr Leadbeater will give him a run for his money. Take it to him John!!! I believe you can beat this guy! Work hard and get your message out. YOU HAVE GUTS JOHN, AND THATS WHAT THIS TOWN NEEDS RIGHT NOW. GUTS!!!!!

Guest Jay Deese
Its interesting that the Mayor has said that this budget has no tax increase, no layoffs, but has failed to explain what would happen next year. I believe this is an election year gimmick just to secure his re-election. Its like shuffling the chairs of the titanic. My prediction is this ship (KEARNY) will sink next year with Increased Property Taxes, Muncipal Layoffs, Take it to the bank this Lawyer is trying to put one over on the hard working property owners of Kearny. What do we get for our tax dollar in this town? What has this Mayor done to make this town better? NOTHING. Look at the attorney fees that are being payed out to all his lawyer buddies. And then they cut the Recreation budget, Does that make sense? Town services are at an all time low for the taxes that we pay. Employee moral is at the lowest it been ever in the town"s history. Mr D'Arco has taken the heart and pride that has been a benchmark in this town out of the employees. Mr Leadbeater offers a change that will look at the human side of understanding what people are going threw in these tough times. My hope is that Kearny will give this Mayor a big wake up call and elect Mr Leadbeater as the Mayor of what was once a great town. It can be great again but it won't if we contiune to elect Santos and his self serving interests (COUNTY JOB) (COUNTY CAR) (EXPENSE ACCOUNT) This Mayor thinks he has this election locked up, My hope is that Mr Leadbeater will give him a run for his money. Take it to him John!!! I believe you can beat this guy! Work hard and get your message out. YOU HAVE GUTS JOHN, AND THATS WHAT THIS TOWN NEEDS RIGHT NOW. GUTS!!!!!

Its funny that someone would actually complain about no tax increase, no layoffs and the fact they cut the Recreation funding to stay in budget. No one wants to see the kids lose out but I don't think thats the case. Having manicured fields are nice but that will not protect your house from fire or protect you from criminals. Bad things are happening to towns financially right now but not so in Kearny. Is it because the mayor and council are competent and doing their elected jobs well? Why should the mayor explain what would happen next year? Does he have a crystal ball? Can he see the future? The answers are NO. If the mayor has to deal things that everyone expects to occur next year, then why shouldn't he wait until next year? Bad things may not even happen at all. Then he would look silly at being a false alarmist. He's smarter than that. If you think John Leadbeater is smart enough to run the town, you obviously don't remember the water deal with East Orange. And he was only a councilman. The last time the republicans held control, didn't the mayor go to jail? Having guts is good. It will help if he ever runs in to Bubba.

Guest Guest

Come on John, it's through not threw.