TATOOS

Guest Guest

Guest Guest
A tattoo is like a bumper sticker. It says something about you. An "NRA" sticker indicates you like guns. A "god is good sticker" indicates you are a Christian.

A "mom" Tattoo could indicate you love your mom so much that you want to memorialize your love in the form of body art. Depending on the type tattoo, it can be impressionable on a young child.

Almost everyone I know said they were drunk or high when they got their tattoo. Body art is definitely on the upswing, could it be because our children's role models, stand in front of a classroom, displaying something they got wile in an altered state of mind. Or making a statement they think is important enough to memorialize on their body? Would you like your child coming home with at tat because they saw their teachers and thought it was cool?

yes

Guest Guest
A tattoo is like a bumper sticker. It says something about you. An "NRA" sticker indicates you like guns. A "god is good sticker" indicates you are a Christian.

A "mom" Tattoo could indicate you love your mom so much that you want to memorialize your love in the form of body art. Depending on the type tattoo, it can be impressionable on a young child.

Almost everyone I know said they were drunk or high when they got their tattoo. Body art is definitely on the upswing, could it be because our children's role models, stand in front of a classroom, displaying something they got wile in an altered state of mind. Or making a statement they think is important enough to memorialize on their body? Would you like your child coming home with at tat because they saw their teachers and thought it was cool?

You make the assertion that most people who get tattoos, get them while under the influence of either alcohol or drugs. While that is the case at times, your statement is backed by generalizations rather than facts. I counter that most people I know that have gotten tattoos while completely sober and alert. You wrote that "our children's role models, stand in front of a classroom, displaying something they got wile in an altered state of mind." Again you make a generalization, how do you know for a fact that the person with a tattoo got it while in an altered state of mind?

Anything could be impressionable to a young child. If it were the case that your child wanted to get a tattoo because his or her teacher had one, then its your job as a parent to either say yes or no to the child´s request...it´s called parenting for a reason.

I for one would worry about the quality of education my child was receiving, rather than what type of tattoo a teacher has or doesn´t have. It´s a petty argument, which goes around in circles. You´ll probably respond that a teacher with a tattoo isn´t a good teacher at all, just because he or she has a tattoo; completely neglecting any possibility that the teacher could be extremely well at what he or she does.

If you don´t want your child to get a tattoo, then let him or her know. At the end of the day however, when your child grows up and wants a tattoo, then he or she will get one. Not because their teacher had one, but because it´s their own body and personal preference.

Guest Guest
You make the assertion that most people who get tattoos, get them while under the influence of either alcohol or drugs. While that is the case at times, your statement is backed by generalizations rather than facts. I counter that most people I know that have gotten tattoos while completely sober and alert. You wrote that "our children's role models, stand in front of a classroom, displaying something they got wile in an altered state of mind." Again you make a generalization, how do you know for a fact that the person with a tattoo got it while in an altered state of mind?

Anything could be impressionable to a young child. If it were the case that your child wanted to get a tattoo because his or her teacher had one, then its your job as a parent to either say yes or no to the child´s request...it´s called parenting for a reason.

I for one would worry about the quality of education my child was receiving, rather than what type of tattoo a teacher has or doesn´t have. It´s a petty argument, which goes around in circles. You´ll probably respond that a teacher with a tattoo isn´t a good teacher at all, just because he or she has a tattoo; completely neglecting any possibility that the teacher could be extremely well at what he or she does.

If you don´t want your child to get a tattoo, then let him or her know. At the end of the day however, when your child grows up and wants a tattoo, then he or she will get one. Not because their teacher had one, but because it´s their own body and personal preference.

AMEN - thank you for the breath of sanity in this discussion! On the bright side, I'm happy to notice that this conversation has continued for a while now with no mention of the overpaid firemen. Things are looking up!

• 4 weeks later...

Um, my grandfather, who served in WW1, had tattoos on both of his arms. He got them while he was in the Army, and admittedly drunk. Now, please tell me he could have never been a proper role model for me because of his tattoos...really, say it. (RIP Grandpa).