John Leadbeater Running for Mayor

Guest *John Leadbeater*

Guest *John Leadbeater*

Because I have received so many requests to run again for Mayor, I have decided to answer everyones concerns here. As of Friday, February 27th, I went to town hall and picked up petitions for myself and 4 council candidates. I am looking for individuals who are as concerned about Kearny as I am. I last served as a C$ouncilman in 1999 and have since witnessed my taxes going from $7,800 to $12,000. This is no longer exceptable. I will not get into a debate of issues on this board, but will give FACTS to the best of my ability. If you are interested in joining my team, you may contact me at 201-997-3989 or 201-294-0738. We need to put a stop to the neverending spending going on in town. Together we can bring accountability back to you

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Guest
Because I have received so many requests to run again for Mayor, I have decided to answer everyones concerns here. As of Friday, February 27th, I went to town hall and picked up petitions for myself and 4 council candidates. I am looking for individuals who are as concerned about Kearny as I am. I last served as a C$ouncilman in 1999 and have since witnessed my taxes going from $7,800 to $12,000. This is no longer exceptable. I will not get into a debate of issues on this board, but will give FACTS to the best of my ability. If you are interested in joining my team, you may contact me at 201-997-3989 or 201-294-0738. We need to put a stop to the neverending spending going on in town. Together we can bring accountability back to you

If your running then what do you plan to do with the schools. They are mismanaged. 50% of our taxes dollar goes there with no results. If you can give me a solution for that I would love to hear it, if you can’t then you’ll be no better or worse then Santos.

Guest School Watch
If your running then what do you plan to do with the schools. They are mismanaged. 50% of our taxes dollar goes there with no results. If you can give me a solution for that I would love to hear it, if you can’t then you’ll be no better or worse then Santos.

Start by Voting out Rosmary Martins-Marks, Lisa Schalago & Jean Mckeon in this next School Election. The Board needs new blood. The Town and School Board needs New Direction Badly.

Guest Guest
Start by Voting out Rosmary Martins-Marks, Lisa Schalago & Jean Mckeon in this next School Election. The Board needs new blood. The Town and School Board needs New Direction Badly.

Ok, what will that do? What will they do different.

Guest Guest

Do you really want a man that uses "exceptable" running Kearny?

Guest guest

What have these three done that you didn't like? Even if you vote these three out, you still will be left with six others that have been on the board a lot longer than Marks and Schalago.

I hope John runs for mayor, because I believe he can make a difference with the direction the town is taking, but he won't have control over the schools. That is just a fact.

Guest I M Politico

John,

Wake up! This is not 1999. The whole world has gone into a financial tailspin since then. It's no longer plausible to apply the same old rhetoric to economics or politics.

You talk about "accountability" as if the Santos administration has run roughshod over sound fiscal practices, when in fact it has been extremely responsible during an horrendous time for government at all levels. You don't have to look very far to see the results of poor management----Hoboken's finance department being overseen by the state, Harrison with a state auditor breathing down its neck, Bayonne with an double digit tax increase and still with a huge budget gap. Even little East Newark, with a very small fraction of Kearny's expenses, had to raise taxes substantially over the last couple of years to pay the bills. Look, nobody likes higher taxes, especially officials whose election depends on residents' approval; but you have to be realistic. As someone who knows a little about public finance, I think that this administration has done more than due diligence in preparing budgets AND including the public in the process. That's the epitome of accountability.

When you refer to "neverending" spending do you mean:

1)the overdue infrastructure repairs (that will only cost more if let go),

2)the recurrent variables that rise every year (which insurance premiums would you have the town not pay?),

3)the contract settlements (which could go on infinitum, causing millions in retroactive pay and maybe ending with binding arbitration)

You are wise not to enter into a debate of issues---that was never your forte. However there will come a point when you will have to offer an alternative to that which you criticize and from past performance, I just don't think that will happen.

You're a really nice guy, but even you once said, "...I'm probably not the smartest guy running for mayor..." and you know what, some things never change!

Guest Guest
John,

Wake up! This is not 1999. The whole world has gone into a financial tailspin since then. It's no longer plausible to apply the same old rhetoric to economics or politics.

You talk about "accountability" as if the Santos administration has run roughshod over sound fiscal practices, when in fact it has been extremely responsible during an horrendous time for government at all levels. You don't have to look very far to see the results of poor management----Hoboken's finance department being overseen by the state, Harrison with a state auditor breathing down its neck, Bayonne with an double digit tax increase and still with a huge budget gap. Even little East Newark, with a very small fraction of Kearny's expenses, had to raise taxes substantially over the last couple of years to pay the bills. Look, nobody likes higher taxes, especially officials whose election depends on residents' approval; but you have to be realistic. As someone who knows a little about public finance, I think that this administration has done more than due diligence in preparing budgets AND including the public in the process. That's the epitome of accountability.

2)the recurrent variables that rise every year (which insurance premiums would you have the town not pay?),

3)the contract settlements (which could go on infinitum, causing millions in retroactive pay and maybe ending with binding arbitration)

You are wise not to enter into a debate of issues---that was never your forte. However there will come a point when you will have to offer an alternative to that which you criticize and from past performance, I just don't think that will happen.

You're a really nice guy, but even you once said, "...I'm probably not the smartest guy running for mayor..." and you know what, some things never change!

Damn, you made some good points. John can you be more specify on that you want to do? If you can’t why run?

Guest kotw fan
John,

I'm voting for John Leadbeater because he won't be afraid of putting a link to KOTW on Kearny's website.

KOTW should have edited the above quote because it is too positive for the Mayor.

The Mayor thinks that KOTW is an anti-Santos website but in fact KOTW has shown for a long time that it allows all views to be expressed with very little editing.

I'll vote for any candidate who isn't afraid of KOTW.

Guest *Curious in VA*

Are they running again? What have each of them done wrong?

Guest Guest
I'm voting for John Leadbeater because he won't be afraid of putting a link to KOTW on Kearny's website.

KOTW should have edited the above quote because it is too positive for the Mayor.

The Mayor thinks that KOTW is an anti-Santos website but in fact KOTW has shown for a long time that it allows all views to be expressed with very little editing.

I'll vote for any candidate who isn't afraid of KOTW.

Ha ha are you a fool?? You have a link on the KOTW on how being white shouldn’t be a crime and you want that to be on the town website. What will that do to improve the town? “Should have been edited because it to positive”, he made some good point. What other town around us are doing ok, not great but just ok (NONE). Give us a way to make this town better or get out of the way. Putting this link on the town’s website isn’t one of them. Again I want specific things and if you think a link is going to make our taxes lower then your sadly mistaken.

Guest Long Time Resident

John, back in the day you were a fair to midland little league baseball coach. We thank you and appreciate your involvement and effort. Let's leave it at that and move on. You're a good man, Charlie Brown.

Guest *Quest*
John,

TO THE IDIOT MORON POLITICO.OUR SO CALLED MAYOR HAS DONE NOTHING FOR KEARNY.HE GOT HIS $75000.00 A YEAR JOB FROM THE COUNTY.WE GET NOTHING FROM THE COUNTY,SANTOS DOES. LET'S GO BACK, WHEN HE WAS FIRST ELECTED INTO OFFICE(NEWARK RESIDENT,CHESTNUT ST)WHEN HE STATED "THE COUNTY DOES NOTHING FOR KEARNY". SO HE PUTS ON A BIG SHOW LETS GET RID OF THE PEDOPHILES,THE DRUG REHABS...WE HAVE TO LET THE COUNTY EXECUTIVE KNOW KEARNY IS NOT THE DUMPING GROUND FOR THE COUNTY...SO WHAT DOES OUR MAYOR DO HE RUNS FOR SENATOR AGAINST SACCO AND DROPS OUT BECAUSE HE WAS PROMISE THE COUNTY JOB.HE GOT WHAT HE WANTED THE HELL WITH KEARNY!!

Guest I M Politico
TO THE IDIOT MORON POLITICO.OUR SO CALLED MAYOR HAS DONE NOTHING FOR KEARNY.HE GOT HIS $75000.00 A YEAR JOB FROM THE COUNTY.WE GET NOTHING FROM THE COUNTY,SANTOS DOES. LET'S GO BACK, WHEN HE WAS FIRST ELECTED INTO OFFICE(NEWARK RESIDENT,CHESTNUT ST)WHEN HE STATED "THE COUNTY DOES NOTHING FOR KEARNY". SO HE PUTS ON A BIG SHOW LETS GET RID OF THE PEDOPHILES,THE DRUG REHABS...WE HAVE TO LET THE COUNTY EXECUTIVE KNOW KEARNY IS NOT THE DUMPING GROUND FOR THE COUNTY...SO WHAT DOES OUR MAYOR DO HE RUNS FOR SENATOR AGAINST SACCO AND DROPS OUT BECAUSE HE WAS PROMISE THE COUNTY JOB.HE GOT WHAT HE WANTED THE HELL WITH KEARNY!!

Dear Fellow Poster, Quest:

I will resist the temptation to correct your grammar and sentence structure (although both are atrocious), and I will not reprimand your poor internet manners (all upper-case shows a true lack of maturity and feelings of inadequacy). I will, however, admonish your form of personal address. I am neither an idiot nor a moron. I am simply a person who apparently views the world differently than you. Now don't you feel foolish? If you don't, you should!

It is obvious that neither I nor anyone else will ever change opinion of Mayor Santos; so I won't even try. It is important, though, that your erroneous statements be exposed for what they are:

1) Al Santos did NOT live in Newark at the time of his election. He already lived in Kearny for many years. That allegation was proven false by public and court records during his first run for councilman.

2) Hudson County was not our foe in the pedophile civil commitment case. As a matter of fact the County was a co-plaintiff. It was an Executive Order by Gov. Whitman that placed them in South Kearny.

3) Whatever you may think of Santos, all evidence points to the fact that he is as honest as they come. There is no way anyone bribed him out of the race against Sacco. Furthermore anyone who knows anything about Sacco, knows that he would never offer anybody anything to drop out because that would indicate fear of his opponent. And Nick Sacco fears no one! He has, however, gained a very healthy respect for Mayor Santos. Remember, several years ago Sacco heavily financed a slate against the Santos team and they (Santos' slate) won handily.

4) If anything, Santos is over-qualified for the job he does for the Board of Freeholders. Why do you have a problem with a smart guy who performs well being employed by a government agency? Incidentally, half the people in the world have gotten their jobs because of someone they know.

Guest Guest

The mayor is a lawyer, how much do you think he should make? Maybe he should just live off the town salary, which is 5,000 a year right? You might think he’s done nothing for the town but I’m just happy that our town isn’t being audited, or being state run like the surrounding town. Let go back to the old day’s where our mayor goes to jail and disbarred.

Guest I M Politico
The mayor is a lawyer, how much do you think he should make? Maybe he should just live off the town salary, which is 5,000 a year right? You might think he’s done nothing for the town but I’m just happy that our town isn’t being audited, or being state run like the surrounding town. Let go back to the old day’s where our mayor goes to jail and disbarred.

Amen! I agree.

At the risk of repeating myself---nobody is in favor of high taxes, especially the Mayor and Council who live and die at the will of the electorate and most of whom are personally effected by any increase in property taxes. Mayor Santos has, in my view, led the town in a responsible, reasonable way. He has employed a fiscal policy which is not always painless or politically advantageous, but always sound and well thought out. He and his administration have exercised prudence in the redevelopment process unlike some of Kearny's neighbors who now find themselves in an over-development dilemma. Santos seems to have constructed a council that works as a team, not always agreeing on every issue but somehow working together toward solutions. I applaud the openness with which they conduct town business and the way in which they encourage resident participation.

With politicians dropping like flies, we should count ourselves lucky to have an intelligent and honest guy at the helm.

I'M BEHIND YOU ALL THE WAY!!!!!!!

Guest Guest
Dear Fellow Poster, Quest:

I will resist the temptation to correct your grammar and sentence structure (although both are atrocious), and I will not reprimand your poor internet manners (all upper-case shows a true lack of maturity and feelings of inadequacy). I will, however, admonish your form of personal address. I am neither an idiot nor a moron. I am simply a person who apparently views the world differently than you. Now don't you feel foolish? If you don't, you should!

It is obvious that neither I nor anyone else will ever change opinion of Mayor Santos; so I won't even try. It is important, though, that your erroneous statements be exposed for what they are:

1) Al Santos did NOT live in Newark at the time of his election. He already lived in Kearny for many years. That allegation was proven false by public and court records during his first run for councilman.

2) Hudson County was not our foe in the pedophile civil commitment case. As a matter of fact the County was a co-plaintiff. It was an Executive Order by Gov. Whitman that placed them in South Kearny.

3) Whatever you may think of Santos, all evidence points to the fact that he is as honest as they come. There is no way anyone bribed him out of the race against Sacco. Furthermore anyone who knows anything about Sacco, knows that he would never offer anybody anything to drop out because that would indicate fear of his opponent. And Nick Sacco fears no one! He has, however, gained a very healthy respect for Mayor Santos. Remember, several years ago Sacco heavily financed a slate against the Santos team and they (Santos' slate) won handily.

4) If anything, Santos is over-qualified for the job he does for the Board of Freeholders. Why do you have a problem with a smart guy who performs well being employed by a government agency? Incidentally, half the people in the world have gotten their jobs because of someone they know.

Hey moron.His Residency did not come up until he ran for mayor.As for your public and court records,please show us your proof.The us postal service was still delivering his mail to chestnut st newark nj when he ran for mayor of KEARNY.By the way Sacco was going to back the opposing slate until the county executive and his cronies told Santos to drop out of senator race for he would be taken care of down the road,along comes the $ 75000.OO PAY OFF,A JOB WITH THE COUNTY!!!.As for Sacco gaining a healthy respect for Santos, he has to for getting him the job you idiot moron politico.

Guest I M Politico
Hey moron.His Residency did not come up until he ran for mayor.As for your public and court records,please show us your proof.The us postal service was still delivering his mail to chestnut st newark nj when he ran for mayor of KEARNY.By the way Sacco was going to back the opposing slate until the county executive and his cronies told Santos to drop out of senator race for he would be taken care of down the road,along comes the $ 75000.OO PAY OFF,A JOB WITH THE COUNTY!!!.As for Sacco gaining a healthy respect for Santos, he has to for getting him the job you idiot moron politico.

Thank you for having the good sense to take my suggestion about the over-utilization of upper-case letters. See now, even though everything you stated is incorrect, at least it appears so much more civilized. Don't you think?

Your assertion concerning the Mayor's residency is just so much nonsense. His eligibility was questioned back in 2000 when he ran against Manny Trueba for the Second Ward Council seat. There was a court hearing in Hudson County Circuit Court in, I believe, April or May whereby he was found to be a duly registered resident of Johnston Avenue in Kearny where he resided until 2002 when, as Mayor, he moved to his present address. His petition was certified by the Hudson County Board of Elections and the State of New Jersey.

I'm confused by your statement, "...Sacco was GOING to back the opposing slate..." He DID back the slate---Pete Cicchino, Virginia Santos, Phil Caputo and Anthony Paglia. They were soundly beaten by the Santos team----Alexa Arce, Barbara Sherry, Carol Jean Doyle and Mike Landy. The County backed the Sacco slate thinking it was a slam-dunk. Surprise! All the North Bergen money and political clout failed to beat Santos even though he ran off the County line, with virtually no money and two political unknowns on his ticket. In their wisdom, both Sacco and the County Dems once again embraced Santos and company. Ah, everybody loves a winner!

PS Do me a favor. Don't call me "Idiot Moron." Only my Mom is allowed to call me that.

Guest guest

I see the Mayors aides are at it again. Fact since Al Santos has been mayor everything HE could control has gone up. How come we still have not funded the police and fire pensions. Could it be that would skyrocket OUR taxes. You bet. How about all the bond ordinances for water meters. Where did that money go Mayor? It is easy to say WE have no control but in essence you do. Vote Santos slate out!!!!!!!

Guest Chuckling
I see the Mayors aides are at it again. Fact since Al Santos has been mayor everything HE could control has gone up. How come we still have not funded the police and fire pensions. Could it be that would skyrocket OUR taxes. You bet. How about all the bond ordinances for water meters. Where did that money go Mayor? It is easy to say WE have no control but in essence you do. Vote Santos slate out!!!!!!!

You mean the telephone water meters that John Leadbeater voted FOR and that had a 50% fail rate, those meters?? You're kidding, right?

Guest guest
You mean the telephone water meters that John Leadbeater voted FOR and that had a 50% fail rate, those meters?? You're kidding, right?

John wasn't on the council when the water meters were ordered!!!

Guest Guest

We already exercised our control by voting Santos in.

Twice.

And we're going to do it again.

He's a good mayor.

I'm not impressed by the friends and family program at KOTW.