Kearny H.S. uniform colors

Guest Charlie Brown

or maybe...students will be able to focus on school instead of unimportant issues like clothing styles....

Uh, they don't get dressed AT school...that's all taken care of before they even get there.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Uh, they don't get dressed AT school...that's all taken care of before they even get there.

Unfortunately it isn't done well, otherwise there would be no need for uniforms.

Unfortunately it isn't done well, otherwise there would be no need for uniforms.

It doesn't create a need for uniforms, it creates a need for better parenting and better handling of a dress code. Uniforms don't solve anything.

It doesn't create a need for uniforms, it creates a need for better parenting and better handling of a dress code. Uniforms don't solve anything.

Been there, done that. It's time to try something else.

If they did protest, it would be courageous, wouldn't it. You just admitted you're not willing to do it.

But you're not going to admit that you don't have courage, so you need another word for it. It's just being "sensible," you say.

According to what you're saying, the Germans who didn't stand up against Hitler when they could have were just being sensible. According to you, anyone who takes the easy way out instead of fighting against what is wrong is just being "sensible." Even those who betrayed Christ were just being sensible, right?

You're talking out of both sides of your mouth at once for the most cowardly reason of all: to justify and excuse yourself. Do you have even the tiniest clue that you did it?

Yes, school uniforms are one step away from the children becoming Nazis.

Oh, brother.

Yes, school uniforms are one step away from the children becoming Nazis.

Oh, brother.

If the government can order you to do something small, it can also order you to do something big. You can make fun of it all you like, but the people's willingness to let small things happen allows big things to happen.

And this isn't happening in isolation. It's very chilling that the school uniforms fad is happening at the same time as the so-called Patriot Act, warrantless spying on Americans, etc.

You don't see the connection? Some of us do. What keeps a nation free is the attitude of its people. The very fact that you don't care that the government dictates what color polo shirt your children must wear in school says a lot. You may think it's a small matter, but it's not. It's about the attitude of a compliant people who are willing to be told what to do.

If the government can order you to do something small, it can also order you to do something big. You can make fun of it all you like, but the people's willingness to let small things happen allows big things to happen.

And this isn't happening in isolation. It's very chilling that the school uniforms fad is happening at the same time as the so-called Patriot Act, warrantless spying on Americans, etc.

You don't see the connection? Some of us do. What keeps a nation free is the attitude of its people. The very fact that you don't care that the government dictates what color polo shirt your children must wear in school says a lot. You may think it's a small matter, but it's not. It's about the attitude of a compliant people who are willing to be told what to do.

Funny you mention this. Last night I saw a black SUV with government plates parked outside your house, there were 4 big guys with dark glasses watching your house.

Been there, done that. It's time to try something else.

No, they haven't "done that". They've made no real effort to enforce a dress code, that's why it hasn't been working. There are plenty of schools that don't need to mandate uniforms to get the students to dress decently. It's not rocket science.

Uniforms are the lazy/cowardly way out.

Guest realistic

OK try to look at the uniform issue this way:

there are approximately 1800 students at KHS. Let's say that 100 of these students EVERYDAY disregard the dress code. Do you know how the discipline office handles that situation? according to the rules, the students are sent home to change if a parent/guardian is unable to bring clothing in to the student. This highlights an issue that some in previous post complain about...education. These 100 students are missing CURRICULUM instruction while they are out being disciplined for not following the dress code. The students have to wait until that parent comes in with the clothes (often times the parents dress similiar to their kids so you can see where they get it from) before they can go back to class. For those students that have to go home, do you think they are running home and running back to school....not a chance. So for those discussing "education" there will be a lot less students down at the discipline office and more of them in the classroom.

No, they haven't "done that". They've made no real effort to enforce a dress code, that's why it hasn't been working. There are plenty of schools that don't need to mandate uniforms to get the students to dress decently. It's not rocket science.

It can't be enforced because the parents don't care.

Uniforms are a very efficient solution to the problem.

You really are very silly.

It can't be enforced because the parents don't care.

Uniforms are a very efficient solution to the problem.

They don't solve anything. They're just a smokescreen for the failing education system. There are much bigger fish to fry than this.

They don't solve anything. They're just a smokescreen for the failing education system. There are much bigger fish to fry than this.

You are absolutely right. Our school rank drops 35 places, but we are more concerned about students wearing uniforms, and teachers being told that even though they are adults, they don't dress right. We as taxpayers and parents, guardians, and family members, need to attend more meetings and express our concern over our educational system, or should I say lack of.

there are approximately 1800 students at KHS. Let's say that 100 of these students EVERYDAY disregard the dress code. Do you know how the discipline office handles that situation? according to the rules, the students are sent home to change if a parent/guardian is unable to bring clothing in to the student. This highlights an issue that some in previous post complain about...education. These 100 students are missing CURRICULUM instruction while they are out being disciplined for not following the dress code. The students have to wait until that parent comes in with the clothes (often times the parents dress similiar to their kids so you can see where they get it from) before they can go back to class. For those students that have to go home, do you think they are running home and running back to school....not a chance. So for those discussing "education" there will be a lot less students down at the discipline office and more of them in the classroom.

Aha! Someone gets it!

So what makes you think they'll follow the uniform dress code if they don't follow the current one? If anything it may get worse.

Public schools are required to provide education. What are you going to do when some don't wear their uniform? Are you telling me that Kearny has previously deprived their students of their mandated education when they felt their uniform rules were violated? I find that hard to believe.

Will they deprive them by sending them home? I hope Kearny has a lot of reserve money to pay for those law suits they will lose.

You can punish by giving after school detentions, cutting their activities, but you cannot deprive them of their education.

How many days in the past five years did 100 students miss class time because of their clothing?

What is the total number of students brought into the discipline office in the past five years for violations?

If 100 students decide to wear their khaki slacks halfway down their butts, don't you have exactly the same problem?

And if 200 of them decide to protest by wearing swastikas on their same-colored polo shirts, just what do you propose to do about it?

Guest mom FOR uniforms

Not proper parenting and supervisor is the lazy/cowardly way out, which is what brought us to uniforms. We can go round and round with this topic, but the truth is uniforms are happening...so get used to it. The grammer schools going to uniform is fine now, everyone has adjusted and it really is cheaper. I'm in favor of uniforms for many reasons. But if your TRULY against your child in grammer or high school to be uniformed then don't make them wear it. So what if they get suspended, you can home school them where they can sit home in their pajamas all day...then at 3:00 dress ANYWAY they want while they walk the Avenue. Problem solved! :rolleyes:

Not proper parenting and supervisor is the lazy/cowardly way out, which is what brought us to uniforms. We can go round and round with this topic, but the truth is uniforms are happening...so get used to it. The grammer schools going to uniform is fine now, everyone has adjusted and it really is cheaper. I'm in favor of uniforms for many reasons. But if your TRULY against your child in grammer or high school to be uniformed then don't make them wear it. So what if they get suspended, you can home school them where they can sit home in their pajamas all day...then at 3:00 dress ANYWAY they want while they walk the Avenue. Problem solved! :rolleyes:

Well good for you. You like uniforms, then buy away. Nothing has ever prevented you from buying uniforms for your little darlings. But don't try to enforce your beliefs on others.

Try suspending them, depriving them of their state mandated education because they don't wear your local school board mandated uniforms. See what happens if enough get the guts to sue. Then you better hope you have enough money to pay the higher tax rate that will result when the school board starts paying out for law suits and settlements.

Among the many components needed to make a uniform policy a success is a clause, known as an opt out, which provides parents with an avenue to remove their children from the policy. The most successful policies in the nation, including the one in Long Beach, California, permit parents to exempt their children from uniforms for any reason. In Long Beach the procedure for obtaining an opt out is simple. Parents seeking an exemption must request, either by mail or in person, an exemption form. They must fill it out and meet with an administrator who will discuss their objections and verify the information contained in their form to prevent fraudulent exemptions ("Guidelines" 4). Loren Siegel, director of public education for the American Civil Liberties union, cautions schools against omitting an opt out provision from uniform policies:

For a public school uniform policy to be legal, it has to have an opt out provision. Every child in this country has the right to a public school education, and that right cannot be conditioned upon compliance with a uniform policy. Some parents and children will have religious objections to uniforms. Others won’t want to participate for aesthetic reasons. (1)

http://www.gate.net/~rwms/UniformDWilliams.html

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Boycott uniforms

this must be one of the most stupidest thing khs has done! if ppl are complaining about asses hanging out it is still not working. everyday i see this kid with boxers out and open. so obv khs plan blew up in their face. the uniforms are disgusting they arent even designed good its so huge even the smalls r huge. a small should be able to fit a 100lb 5'4 student good enough. but nah its so baggy and the arms make me have bat wings. and all my teachers has talked about the uniforms in class a couple times so that just waste time so its not efficient in paying attention. and u adults that want us to be miserable are so stupid. if u were in our position i guarantee u would hate it. u guys r just old and jealous that u are as popping in fashion like us. and if any on reply back to this saying wats ur fashion sticking out boxers and have skin showing everywhere. umm no b/c its not all the students that dresses up like sluts and slobs.

ps: dont think im one of those stupid kids thats think school is mad gay and trying to make a big issue about this. b/c im not im in the top 25 of my class im in most lvl one courses i do a lot for the school but i just want my voice heard- F*** UNIFORMS! alright get rid of them already

dont think im one of those stupid kids thats think school is mad gay and trying to make a big issue about this. b/c im not im in the top 25 of my class im in most lvl one courses

You had to tell me this? At the end of the week when the stock market nearly crashed and several major financial institutions went belly-up? This gives me real confidence in our future. :lol:

Guest *speedy1*
this must be one of the most stupidest thing khs has done! if ppl are complaining about asses hanging out it is still not working. everyday i see this kid with boxers out and open. so obv khs plan blew up in their face. the uniforms are disgusting they arent even designed good its so huge even the smalls r huge. a small should be able to fit a 100lb 5'4 student good enough. but nah its so baggy and the arms make me have bat wings. and all my teachers has talked about the uniforms in class a couple times so that just waste time so its not efficient in paying attention. and u adults that want us to be miserable are so stupid. if u were in our position i guarantee u would hate it. u guys r just old and jealous that u are as popping in fashion like us. and if any on reply back to this saying wats ur fashion sticking out boxers and have skin showing everywhere. umm no b/c its not all the students that dresses up like sluts and slobs.

ps: dont think im one of those stupid kids thats think school is mad gay and trying to make a big issue about this. b/c im not im in the top 25 of my class im in most lvl one courses i do a lot for the school but i just want my voice heard- F*** UNIFORMS! alright get rid of them already

:lol: Do You Kiss Your Mother With That Mouth?

Well Bern, there you have it. It's time for the BOE to take some control and like it or not it starts with uniforms.

This kid proves it. Case closed.

Guest Charlie Brown

You, my friend, are ranked in the top 25 of your class??...good grief! KHS is worse off than I thought.

Well Bern, there you have it. It's time for the BOE to take some control and like it or not it starts with uniforms.

This kid proves it. Case closed.

Now there's some logical thinking for you. The kid got one. This gets two. :lol::lol: