Kearny H.S. uniform colors

Guest Charlie Brown

Guest Charlie Brown

Okay, I was all for uniforms for the high school students....but tan shirts and black pants??? Who picked these colors and whom all agreed? Not only are they not smart looking but tan shirts are hard to find. I tmakes no sense to me that 7th and 8th grade students are wearing khaki colored pants and then have to go go out and buy black pants once they enter the high school. Good Grief, Board of Ed. What were you thinking?

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Okay, I was all for uniforms for the high school students....but tan shirts and black pants??? Who picked these colors and whom all agreed? Not only are they not smart looking but tan shirts are hard to find. I tmakes no sense to me that 7th and 8th grade students are wearing khaki colored pants and then have to go go out and buy black pants once they enter the high school. Good Grief, Board of Ed. What were you thinking?

Really? Well, then very fetching.

Didn't the Hitler youth wear tan and black? You may be able to save money by trying German surplus stores for leftover uniforms.

I think Tan pants or skirts along with Maroon polo shirts would have been a better choice

Guest get a grip
Your worrying about colors? You have got to be kidding! Living across from the high school, I think anything would be better than males running around with their pants down below their ass and the females wearing anything that covers the least, nevermind about the tee shirts with vulgarities! Maybe we should focus more on the students lack of respect for anyone or anything. I am so sad that school will be starting soon because then I will have to listen to a bunch of filthy mouth teenagers that I have to clean up after on a daily basis. Devon Street looks like the slums from Sept. thru June. At least now I won't have to see some kid with his ass hanging out and some girl who wears shirts 2 sizes too small and a skirt that leaves nothing to the imagination or a pair of low riders with her thong proudly showing. Maybe parents can start teaching their children values and morals and respect for others. :rolleyes::blink:<_< I've seen things that would make you sick, but I'm sure the parent would say NOT MY KID. Get real Charlie Brown and try to focus on what's important.

Your worrying about colors? You have got to be kidding! Living across from the high school, I think anything would be better than males running around with their pants down below their ass and the females wearing anything that covers the least, nevermind about the tee shirts with vulgarities! Maybe we should focus more on the students lack of respect for anyone or anything. I am so sad that school will be starting soon because then I will have to listen to a bunch of filthy mouth teenagers that I have to clean up after on a daily basis. Devon Street looks like the slums from Sept. thru June. At least now I won't have to see some kid with his ass hanging out and some girl who wears shirts 2 sizes too small and a skirt that leaves nothing to the imagination or a pair of low riders with her thong proudly showing. Maybe parents can start teaching their children values and morals and respect for others. :rolleyes::blink:<_< I've seen things that would make you sick, but I'm sure the parent would say NOT MY KID. Get real Charlie Brown and try to focus on what's important.

They won't learn anything by being forced to put uniforms on their kids. They've only learned when the kids are wearing decent clothes without being forced to.

Guest *speedy1*
They won't learn anything by being forced to put uniforms on their kids. They've only learned when the kids are wearing decent clothes without being forced to.

Your wrong, They will learn something, how too wear low rider black jeans, still with the thong being shown, and will buy size extra small shirts, come on these kids only have to wear the colors, there was no mention of the type of pants allowed. I see it in Franklin school, they start early down there wearing tight and low cut clothes, the boys buy pants 2 sizes too big and extra large shirts, so it is only a matter of color not "A Uniform" I have already heard them talking about how to "fix" the uniform. :rolleyes:

Your worrying about colors? You have got to be kidding! Living across from the high school, I think anything would be better than males running around with their pants down below their ass and the females wearing anything that covers the least, nevermind about the tee shirts with vulgarities! Maybe we should focus more on the students lack of respect for anyone or anything. I am so sad that school will be starting soon because then I will have to listen to a bunch of filthy mouth teenagers that I have to clean up after on a daily basis. Devon Street looks like the slums from Sept. thru June. At least now I won't have to see some kid with his ass hanging out and some girl who wears shirts 2 sizes too small and a skirt that leaves nothing to the imagination or a pair of low riders with her thong proudly showing. Maybe parents can start teaching their children values and morals and respect for others. <_<<_<<_< I've seen things that would make you sick, but I'm sure the parent would say NOT MY KID. Get real Charlie Brown and try to focus on what's important.

If the administration can't keep the boys from having their asses hang out and the girls from wearing shirts 2 sizes too small before, what makes you think they can do it now?

Does the uniform policy say the boys can't wear their pants low? If so, why not say that before? If not, what's going to stop the same thing from happening anyway?

Does the policy say the girls can't wear tight shirts? If so, why not say that before? If not, what's going to stop the same thing from happening anyway?

If the administration couldn't enforce a sense of values before, what makes you think it can do it now?

In other words, you're going to have exactly the same problems you had before, only now the kids will all be doing it in the same color.

Look in the mirror next time to decide to give advice about focusing on what really matters.

Guest Charlie Brown
Your worrying about colors? You have got to be kidding! Living across from the high school, I think anything would be better than males running around with their pants down below their ass and the females wearing anything that covers the least, nevermind about the tee shirts with vulgarities! Maybe we should focus more on the students lack of respect for anyone or anything. I am so sad that school will be starting soon because then I will have to listen to a bunch of filthy mouth teenagers that I have to clean up after on a daily basis. Devon Street looks like the slums from Sept. thru June. At least now I won't have to see some kid with his ass hanging out and some girl who wears shirts 2 sizes too small and a skirt that leaves nothing to the imagination or a pair of low riders with her thong proudly showing. Maybe parents can start teaching their children values and morals and respect for others. <_<<_<<_< I've seen things that would make you sick, but I'm sure the parent would say NOT MY KID. Get real Charlie Brown and try to focus on what's important.

Dear Get A Grip, Your point is well taken but please forgive me for not living across the street from the H.S. like you and therefore don't get to see, hear + witness, the kid's dress, language and litter. It sounds like a whole lot needs cleaned up and enforced there but please don't tell me to focus on what's important. I was simply voicing my concern over the uniform and the choices that the Board of Ed made. It sounds like you've got a lot of pent up anger (some legitimate, some not). You should speak to the school and town officials and even the police about the noise, litter and behavior issues but please don't knock good Ol' Charlie Brown...he's one of the good guys!

Guest *ExBlueTider*

The local high schools here in NC all have dress codes. Although there was some resistance at first, I can tell you they have all been highly successful. The teachers have said they can now focus more on teaching than sending kids to the principals office for being dressed inappropriately. The dress code will work if it's enforced and the kids know it will be enforced.

The local high schools here in NC all have dress codes. Although there was some resistance at first, I can tell you they have all been highly successful. The teachers have said they can now focus more on teaching than sending kids to the principals office for being dressed inappropriately. The dress code will work if it's enforced and the kids know it will be enforced.

So long as you don't have a kid who knows how to fight it.

I do agree with you that there should be a dress code. The uniform is a good idea since childrens apparal has become more of an insult instead of an expression of just who they are. I have lived in this town for over 50 years and have my own kids in the system so I hope this administration has enough guts to enforce this dress code and wish the Kearny School system alot of luck with it. They have already shown it works in grammar schools with the right guidance.

Really? Well, then very fetching.

Didn't the Hitler youth wear tan and black? You may be able to save money by trying German surplus stores for leftover uniforms.

Sometimes you should say aloud what you write down. This way you can actually hear what a buttmunch you really are Bern.

FIRST OF ALL .....AS YOU CAN SEE MY SCREEN NAME IS SIMILAR TO YOURS BUT THE ODD THING IS THAT I TOO LIVE IN NORTH CAROLINA........WHAT'S GOING ON HERE

So long as you don't have a kid who knows how to fight it.

This is more than one thread and many posts but I have yet to see anyone willing to say they will fight it. Maybe after it starts. Very few are as courageous as Matthew LaClair or have supportive parents.

Sometimes you should say aloud what you write down. This way you can actually hear what a buttmunch you really are Bern.

This coming from a guy who calls people "buttmunch"?

Guest Annoyed
This is more than one thread and many posts but I have yet to see anyone willing to say they will fight it. Maybe after it starts. Very few are as courageous as Matthew LaClair or have supportive parents.

Sorry i have to get this out of the way before i address the post. Mathew LaClair is not courageous and i say so from personal experience. The media has a nice way of twisting and exaggerating the truth. I'm sure that topic has been beaten to death so let me get to the point. Courage doesn't have much to do with the ability to fight this issue either. This topic has been left completely under the control of the parents and board of Ed. I have some friends that are members of the student government association(who are probably the only group of students who would know how to fight something like this) who have tried to put in their 2 cents only to be ignored. I've heard talks of a walkout but i know that will never happen for the simple reason that there aren't enough children willing to risk suspension or expulsion over a matter that has been accepted on a national level. You may see them as cowards for not standing up for their belief, but in reality, they are sensible. Preserving your future is a lot more important than putting up with a dress code for a few years. You'll have to excuse this digression but another reason you may think of Mathew Laclair as some kind of brave hero is because of his media coverage. His supposed situation was a media gold mine where as the uniform issue is barely noticeable at best.

I am currently about to become a senior at KHS. Although i was hesitant at first, I am now for uniforms at our school. These colors are ridiculous and I don't see how they expect us to wear it. It might have made a bit more sense if the pants/shirt colors were swapped for one another. I don't really know where i can get pants that aren't shorts or jeans that are black (although I'm sure i will come across some). I feel that the High School got screwed with the uniform decision and the elementary kids got it easy. On a side note, I have yet to see this outrageous skin exposure that people are buzzing on about. It may be a bit less than what you wore when you were a kid but new times have new styles. If you feel the need to point a finger, just turn on the television. Today's "idols" are shown practically nude. Have you ever had teenage children? I would like to see you actively control your child's style. They might fool you when they walk out that door but can always just change when your not around.

Guest *Anonymous*
Sorry i have to get this out of the way before i address the post. Mathew LaClair is not courageous and i say so from personal experience.

lol, cry more. Matt brings the truth, and faces down his preacher teacher, the Board of Education, and a death threat, and you don't think he's courageous? You're full of shit.

Sorry i have to get this out of the way before i address the post. Mathew LaClair is not courageous and i say so from personal experience. The media has a nice way of twisting and exaggerating the truth. I'm sure that topic has been beaten to death so let me get to the point. Courage doesn't have much to do with the ability to fight this issue either. This topic has been left completely under the control of the parents and board of Ed. I have some friends that are members of the student government association(who are probably the only group of students who would know how to fight something like this) who have tried to put in their 2 cents only to be ignored. I've heard talks of a walkout but i know that will never happen for the simple reason that there aren't enough children willing to risk suspension or expulsion over a matter that has been accepted on a national level. You may see them as cowards for not standing up for their belief, but in reality, they are sensible. Preserving your future is a lot more important than putting up with a dress code for a few years. You'll have to excuse this digression but another reason you may think of Mathew Laclair as some kind of brave hero is because of his media coverage. His supposed situation was a media gold mine where as the uniform issue is barely noticeable at best.

I am currently about to become a senior at KHS. Although i was hesitant at first, I am now for uniforms at our school. These colors are ridiculous and I don't see how they expect us to wear it. It might have made a bit more sense if the pants/shirt colors were swapped for one another. I don't really know where i can get pants that aren't shorts or jeans that are black (although I'm sure i will come across some). I feel that the High School got screwed with the uniform decision and the elementary kids got it easy. On a side note, I have yet to see this outrageous skin exposure that people are buzzing on about. It may be a bit less than what you wore when you were a kid but new times have new styles. If you feel the need to point a finger, just turn on the television. Today's "idols" are shown practically nude. Have you ever had teenage children? I would like to see you actively control your child's style. They might fool you when they walk out that door but can always just change when your not around.

Doesn't seem that you understand what courage is. You seem to think that it's not courage if you don't agree with what was done.

Courage is putting yourself at risk for something other than yourself. Matthew did that.

I’m writing this to you because you’re young and because as I get older, people your age are going to influence what kind of life I will have as an old man. So I’m writing this to you with the utmost sincerity in the hope that it will get through to you and get you to think.

If you’re like most 16- and 17-year-olds - and I’ll bet you are - your parents probably told you that courage is a virtue. If you show courage, people will look up to you.

Your problem seems to be that you want to be admired but you don’t want to do what is required to earn it. I'm not willing to risk "suspension or expulsion.” And that's how it is most of the time, all over the world. But on rare occasions, someone takes a risk, and that's how things get changed. You're not willing to do it.

So your project yourself onto Matthew and deny that he has courage, because you’re not sure that you do. You’re not the only one. Most of us are in that boat. If courage was easy, it would be routine. Still, it must be eating at you, or you wouldn’t bring up his name.

You’re probably a nice kid, but you have to make a choice. If you want to be courageous, you’re going to have to do courageous things. You’ll have to take chances like Matthew did. You can shake, wiggle and dance all you want. You can deny the truth for a long time, maybe your whole life. Most people do. But when you get up and look at yourself in the mirror twenty years from now, either you’ll have done it or not. I hope that you’ll do it not for that reason but because it’s right. As the person who knows Matthew maybe better than anyone else, I can assure you that’s why he did it.

You could start by owning what you wrote. Put your name to it. That would be a small act of courage that would set you apart from most of the people who post here. It’s not much, but it would be a start. It tells me a lot about our culture that most of the posts here are anonymous. The way I see it, it isn’t so much that Matthew is great or wonderful as it is that nearly everyone wants to run and hide. He has said publicly that he doesn’t think he’s a hero; he was just doing what every citizen should do. The problem is, citizens aren’t doing it. Don't take chances. Don't admit that you witnessed the accident. Avoid taxes and jury duty if you can. Don't even bother voting. If that continues to happen, this culture will decline. It has happened to every great power before us, and it will happen to us if we don't take citizenship seriously.

If students don't like the dress code, they don't need a walkout to stop it. You have ways of following the rules and still making the administration wish it had never heard of a dress code. But you're going to have to show some initiative and some courage.

Matthew can’t fight your battle for you – whatever it is. You can’t justify yourself by denying what he did.

If they did protest, it would be courageous, wouldn't it. You just admitted you're not willing to do it.

But you're not going to admit that you don't have courage, so you need another word for it. It's just being "sensible," you say.

According to what you're saying, the Germans who didn't stand up against Hitler when they could have were just being sensible. According to you, anyone who takes the easy way out instead of fighting against what is wrong is just being "sensible." Even those who betrayed Christ were just being sensible, right?

You're talking out of both sides of your mouth at once for the most cowardly reason of all: to justify and excuse yourself. Do you have even the tiniest clue that you did it?

Today I read in NJ Monthly that Kearny is near the bottom of the NJ public high school ranking. Kearny is ranked 235 out of 316. The low SAT scores reflect this.

Great job geniuses - focusing on uniforms instead of uplifting the general education of the school.

Well maybe, Kearny will get a high ranking in the school uniform category.

Your school motto could be "We aint got no education, but we got uniforms".

Today I read in NJ Monthly that Kearny is near the bottom of the NJ public high school ranking. Kearny is ranked 235 out of 316. The low SAT scores reflect this.

Great job geniuses - focusing on uniforms instead of uplifting the general education of the school.

Well maybe, Kearny will get a high ranking in the school uniform category.

Your school motto could be "We aint got no education, but we got uniforms".

or maybe...students will be able to focus on school instead of unimportant issues like clothing styles....

or maybe...students will be able to focus on school instead of unimportant issues like clothing styles....

Are you saying is that the students are spending so much time focusing on their clothes that they don't focus on their school work? That doesn't make any sense, at all.

There are many issues, but school clothing is not an issue that drives down academic excellence. Clothing issues sometimes lead to disciplinary problems, but an intelligent administration can handle that without resorting to uniforms.

Usually, in public schools, uniforms are brought up by administrations as a diversion from their educational failings. A nice side issue to keep the public happy.