Harrison HS Football

Guest *Simple*

pee wee coaches are a joke. you got kids standing around at practice and games doin nothing and the coaches could give a rat's a$$ because all they care about is winning. at this level every kid should get into the game because it should be about learning and experience not just winning. and then you wonder why kids lose interest and don't come back. teach them something for heavens sake.

Well you know so much. have you watched them out there? I don't see a lot of winning anywhere. maybe harrison can be the town that puts a good practice team out everyyear.

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for getting my back! I would never, ever, trash talk the kids of this town. The lousy coach is a different story. When you accept the job as a head coach, you must be ready for the criticism. That is what this forum is about, the pros and cons.

No problem, It was pretty easy to comprehend what you meant!! and you are right, as the Head coach, he must be ready to accept the criticism, because he's sure not ready for the job.

No problem, It was pretty easy to comprehend what you meant!! and you are right, as the Head coach, he must be ready to accept the criticism, because he's sure not ready for the job.

Shut out again 14-0!!!!

Shut out again 14-0!!!!
Yeah, I was There. Looked OK on "D" But tired in the 4th. Another sign of a bad coach is the team running out of gas late in the game. Plays still stink(too many loses behind the line of scrimmage) and I will be surprised if they score a TD all year. I laughed leaving the game when I heard the Head Coach blame the weather for the lack of offense. Emerson didn't have any problem running up 2 TDs. I enjoy talking HHS football with you try to stay in touch! My name is the Knute.

lets get something right... coaching pop warner.. is volenteer... these people reguardless of skill and knowldege of the game still put out their time to do something for the community.. i wish i was able to do that to be honest, but i cant do it in life right now.. too busy for it..... so just lay off them... if you think your clued in.. why dont you stop gabbing bout the awful coaching.. and coach a team yourself

That's B.S. The coaches on the pee-wees and seniors are only coaching because there kids are on the teams. As their kids move up to the next level so do the parents. so don't sit there tell me that these guys are doing it for the community.and by the way another person did try to volunteer his time and he was told to screw.

Yeah, I was There. Looked OK on "D" But tired in the 4th. Another sign of a bad coach is the team running out of gas late in the game. Plays still stink(too many loses behind the line of scrimmage) and I will be surprised if they score a TD all year. I laughed leaving the game when I heard the Head Coach blame the weather for the lack of offense. Emerson didn't have any problem running up 2 TDs. I enjoy talking HHS football with you try to stay in touch! My name is the Knute.

If the team stinks it is the coaches fault for sending in the wrong plays. Thats why they fire NFL coaches for losing because it is their fault for not giving the players the right training and not coaching them properly. Same goes on any level. If the coach cannot figure out why the team is losing, the coach is at fault.

Guest Former Football Coach

Instead of blaming the coach, let's look at the root cause for poor HS football teams. The problem in Harrison is the lack of playing fields. A good HS football team is developed early in PeeWee leagues and to have an effective PeeWee league you must have facilities, meaning playing fields where kids can learn the game. Proof of this is the soccer team, they have the courts where they learn the game.

The mayor and council had the chance to correct this situation when they began to redevelop the town. They had the opportunity to provide playing fields where kids could learn the game. Unfortunately, the mayor and council chose instead to cram as many townhomes as could be possibly squeezed into the area. Taxes have gotten rediculous yet there's no place a kid can kick a football or play a touch football game with his friends.

It easy to blame the coach but if you have to teach a kid who's never played on an organized team before HS the basics of the game and then put him up against a kid that grew up playing football in PeeWee leagues, the results are what you got last week. If you want to blame anyone, blame the mayor and council. They dropped the ball, they had the opportunity to make this town into something attractive; a combination of housing, commercial and recreation space in the redevelopment area. Instead, they gave in to the developers and allowed them to overbuild the area. You can be sure the developers don't live in Harrison, they didn't care about your kids. Their kids are playing in PeeWee leagues inother towns.

Instead of blaming the coach, let's look at the root cause for poor HS football teams. The problem in Harrison is the lack of playing fields. A good HS football team is developed early in PeeWee leagues and to have an effective PeeWee league you must have facilities, meaning playing fields where kids can learn the game. Proof of this is the soccer team, they have the courts where they learn the game.

The mayor and council had the chance to correct this situation when they began to redevelop the town. They had the opportunity to provide playing fields where kids could learn the game. Unfortunately, the mayor and council chose instead to cram as many townhomes as could be possibly squeezed into the area. Taxes have gotten rediculous yet there's no place a kid can kick a football or play a touch football game with his friends.

It easy to blame the coach but if you have to teach a kid who's never played on an organized team before HS the basics of the game and then put him up against a kid that grew up playing football in PeeWee leagues, the results are what you got last week. If you want to blame anyone, blame the mayor and council. They dropped the ball, they had the opportunity to make this town into something attractive; a combination of housing, commercial and recreation space in the redevelopment area. Instead, they gave in to the developers and allowed them to overbuild the area. You can be sure the developers don't live in Harrison, they didn't care about your kids. Their kids are playing in PeeWee leagues inother towns.

Amen

Nice idea about having extra football fields but they are a waste of real-estate. How can the chosen few make money off an empty field. With Harrison property considered prime, the people in control need to fill their pockets with every penny they can. And they have to do it now before the bubble bursts.

I'm so confused, You sound very smart and knowledgable about what it takes to win in football, Yet you can't spell ridiculous?? What gives? and don't blame the mayor and council and use them as a scapegoat. I'm sure these kids had plenty of access to a place for practice.

OOOh WEEEE......not to make too much of this but......if you want to do something bad enough you will find a way. As a kid growing-up in Harrison we could always find somewhere to play if we wanted to. Touch football on the street or walking to Hudson Park was what we did. Granted we had Roosevelt Park that is now a soccer field but again where there's a will there's a way. My feelings are too much is being done to have the kids organize when maybe sandlot ball is a better way to develope some kids. Let's face it, coaches at the organized level will play their better players, even both ways, before the kids who are less adept. On the street WE ALL PLAYED.

BULLCRAP! A coach shows his ability by making something out of nothing. In the 80's The Tide won the state championship(Great Coach) with less fields and no or a very little recreation program. The youth football league was brand new at the time. You have the balls to tell me that in almost 25 years our football programs downfall is the result of the Mayor and council. How about just being competitive. Every town has soccer and football and the kids either play one or the other. A coach could have the best team in the state but unless he has the ability to bring out the very best in the players than he is just going to continue to make a joke of himself and make the players who are trying to compete look like losers. (and it's not their fault it's the head coaches fault)) Two games, no touchdowns and outscored 52-0. Is a disgrace and coach Nank had better put one in the End Zone soon or it's going to be 0-10 before you know it. The coach won't care though he'll still get his check at the end of the season! No matter how it makes the players feel.

Guest BlueTideBacker
OOOh WEEEE......not to make too much of this but......if you want to do something bad enough you will find a way. As a kid growing-up in Harrison we could always find somewhere to play if we wanted to. Touch football on the street or walking to Hudson Park was what we did. Granted we had Roosevelt Park that is now a soccer field but again where there's a will there's a way. My feelings are too much is being done to have the kids organize when maybe sandlot ball is a better way to develope some kids. Let's face it, coaches at the organized level will play their better players, even both ways, before the kids who are less adept. On the street WE ALL PLAYED.

Oh please. The Harrison you grew up in is not the Harrison of today. Touch football in the street?? You obviously haven't seen Harrison traffic in a while. West Hudson Park ?? Forget it, you can never find space to throw a football, never mind play a touch game. Come back up to Harrison and we'll take a tour of the town and you can point out to me all the places to play touch football. You find one and I'll buy you dinner.

Lets be fair about this. Harrison Varsity lost against St. Marys and have lost against them every year since they started playing them. Reason is, St. Marys is a privite school who can recruit players from anywhere. Our coaches do their best with the talent they have. Did you know that the sub-varsity beat St. Marys in that same week? (the future looks good). As for this week; The Varsity was able to hold Emerson to a scoreless game for the first three and a half quarters of the game. In this case someone had to lose; this time it was the Blue Tide. There may be many reasons for this loss and one of them surely was exhaustion by players having to play both ways.

Why don't you all come out to the Sub-Varsity game on Monday night (at Home) and watch our team beat the Emerson Sub-Varsity. You won't be disappointed in the level of play, I promise you.

In any case this is our team, for better or worse. Being coached by the lowest paid Coaches in the State of NJ (thanks to recient salery reductions) who continue to do their absolute best regardless of the negitive posts on this site. I for one will continue to attend all the games I can and root on our football teams as I have over many years because these are our kids and I want them to know someone still believes in them.

I'm so confused, You sound very smart and knowledgable about what it takes to win in football, Yet you can't spell ridiculous?? What gives? and don't blame the mayor and council and use them as a scapegoat. I'm sure these kids had plenty of access to a place for practice.

Nice Grammar DB.

Spelling police - hey look I'm an attention whore.

"Plenty of access to a place for practice" - name the place. Just one. That isn't locked and does not belong to the county of Hudson.

While you are at that, tell us about all the "accessible" open space (walking from retail establishment to same does not count) the re- development has in store for all those childless couples/singles who are just holding their nose, waiting to purchase an apt. ...I mean condo. Children or not I hope they are content to "river" walk.

What a legacy. Get started on those monuments now people, I want something to look at while I walk. Where do I park my car when I go? Hope I have a few spare quarters for the meters. I don't want to be the only one holding the change waitlng for the bus. :D

PS It's " KNOWLEDGEABLE "

With respect here Big Blue........

It's not the same now. You will be lucky to cross the street (with the light) alive, let alone play a pick up game of touch football. Hudson Park - getting squeezed there these days.

We never had to dodge so much soccer, volleyball and cricket - or any. Baseball fields get over run by everything but baseball now as well. And you're not talking about kids from Harrison or Kearny even, but grown men from parts unknown who have "NO" regard for a bunch of kids trying to get a game on.

I think if you re-read the post you'll find that it isn't a call for organization but for open spaces that are available to the kids, thus giving them a place to discover the athleticism they might possess. Repetitive play leads to improved play and better preparedness for organized team sports. Next a good program that lends itself to sound fundamental instruction at the pre-high school level and you're on your way to having a competitive program at the high school level.

Coaches will play the better players at each position respectively, and they should, but now they will have more choices/options and depth. Competition from within will produce higher caliber players and performance. If that is missing or lacking the results will be lacking as well. More interest is needed in finding and developing opportunities for the youth of this town.

Guest *Guests*

Why don't you name a few places where they can practice. Your turning Harrison into Newark where there are few playgrounds or fields for the size of the population.

At what point do we finally stop pointing fingers at the Mayor and Counsel? This isn't Harrison 20 years ago folks. Wake up. The town provides a lot for the kids at no cost to the parents. Go to other towns and see how much each recreation program costs. How many times do you drive by the playgrounds of the town and they are completely empty? We live in a one square mile town and already have at least 5 playgrounds for the kids. In this generation of video games and crime there just isn't as much interest in sports.

I agree with you exbluetider.... "where there's a will there's a way"! The football team is probably about half the size it was 20 years ago and I don't think it's because they are a losing team. I think the current generation of High School students are primarily of South American back grounds. Most of these kids grew up playing soccer with their parents not football. Last year they had to cancel the Senior Recreation football team due to interest. I think the coaches are trying the best they can with the group they have. Let’s offer some support instead of constant criticism. I think it's pretty sad that even at our home games the visiting team have more fans.

You sound like a woman that hates the coach! I agree with you though, the coach is terrible. I was at the game too. Unorganized and no one looked like they knew what they were doing, it looked like kids coaching kids! They should hand out chairs to the cheerleaders right now, they're not going to have much to cheer about this year.

Maybe before opening up your mouths you should find out what the coachs background is. You might be surprised. He's doing the best he can with what he has to work with. You all have a lot to say but half of you probably don't have the necessary qualifications to coach any sport. Before critizing anyone you should step in their shoes and find out for yourself what's involved and maybe you will find out that's it's not as simple as you think.

And if you care so much about the program, why don't you rally up all these people who have so much to say and maybe we'll have more than 10 fans in the bleachers.

Guest TIDEWATER
At what point do we finally stop pointing fingers at the Mayor and Counsel? This isn't Harrison 20 years ago folks. Wake up. The town provides a lot for the kids at no cost to the parents. Go to other towns and see how much each recreation program costs. How many times do you drive by the playgrounds of the town and they are completely empty? We live in a one square mile town and already have at least 5 playgrounds for the kids. In this generation of video games and crime there just isn't as much interest in sports.

I agree with you exbluetider.... "where there's a will there's a way"! The football team is probably about half the size it was 20 years ago and I don't think it's because they are a losing team. I think the current generation of High School students are primarily of South American back grounds. Most of these kids grew up playing soccer with their parents not football. Last year they had to cancel the Senior Recreation football team due to interest. I think the coaches are trying the best they can with the group they have. Let’s offer some support instead of constant criticism. I think it's pretty sad that even at our home games the visiting team have more fans.

The seniors kids were instructed by their current coaches not to go out last year because they didn't want hinchy back in control!!!!!

Nice Grammar DB.

Spelling police - hey look I'm an attention whore.

"Plenty of access to a place for practice" - name the place. Just one. That isn't locked and does not belong to the county of Hudson.

While you are at that, tell us about all the "accessible" open space (walking from retail establishment to same does not count) the re- development has in store for all those childless couples/singles who are just holding their nose, waiting to purchase an apt. ...I mean condo. Children or not I hope they are content to "river" walk.

What a legacy. Get started on those monuments now people, I want something to look at while I walk. Where do I park my car when I go? Hope I have a few spare quarters for the meters. I don't want to be the only one holding the change waitlng for the bus. ;)

PS It's " KNOWLEDGEABLE "

Wake up Dummy, you have probably lived in this town long enough to realize that when these kids were younger, JFK and WHP were available to these kids. knowlegable/knowledgeable who gives a crap, stop being an idiot and see the facts for what they are!!! If you can that is?

Why don't you name a few places where they can practice. Your turning Harrison into Newark where there are few playgrounds or fields for the size of the population.

OK, West Hudson Park, The new high school field is huge (why not take an area) If it's OK with General Patton? The turf field across from Sacred heart. That's three right there..now cut the crap!!!!

BULLCRAP! A coach shows his ability by making something out of nothing. In the 80's The Tide won the state championship(Great Coach) with less fields and no or a very little recreation program. The youth football league was brand new at the time. You have the balls to tell me that in almost 25 years our football programs downfall is the result of the Mayor and council. How about just being competitive. Every town has soccer and football and the kids either play one or the other. A coach could have the best team in the state but unless he has the ability to bring out the very best in the players than he is just going to continue to make a joke of himself and make the players who are trying to compete look like losers. (and it's not their fault it's the head coaches fault)) Two games, no touchdowns and outscored 52-0. Is a disgrace and coach Nank had better put one in the End Zone soon or it's going to be 0-10 before you know it. The coach won't care though he'll still get his check at the end of the season! No matter how it makes the players feel.

This is the best view and post on the entire subject, Kudos to you...I see I am not the only one who feels this way!!

Guest FOOTBALL FAN
OK, West Hudson Park, The new high school field is huge (why not take an area) If it's OK with General Patton? The turf field across from Sacred heart. That's three right there..now cut the crap!!!!

ARE YOU KIDDING ME THE HIGH SCHOOL FIELD IS LOCKED TIGHTER THAN FORT KNOX UNLESS OF COURSE IT IS FOR SOCCER - DOLLARHAN IS ALL ABOUT SOCCER - AND THE TURF BY HOLY CROSS HELL THE KIDS CANT GET ON THERE TO MANY ADULT SOCCER PLAYERS TO CONTEND WITH AND DONT FORGET ALL THE PERUVIAN LEAGUES THAT TAKE PREFERENCE OVER THE KIDS OF THIS TOWN. IF IT AINT SOCCER IT DONT MEAN SHIT- JUST TAKE ALOOK AT THE RECREATION SOCCER LEAGUES UNIFORMS COMPARED TO THE RECREATION FOOTBALL UNIFORMS NO WONDER FOOTBALL GETS NO RESPECT IN OTHER TOWNS WE LOOK LIKE HOBOS - SHIRTS DONT EVEN MATCH THE PANTS.

BOTTOM LINE IS NO FIELDS - NO PRACTICE AREAS- NOBODY IN POWER GIVES A SHIT ABOUT THE KIDS OF THIS TOWN

You left out that he also had an enormously talented group of kids.There aren't many Manginis or Coughlins or Vince Lombardis applying for the Harrison coaching positions,There are an excellent group of young men who are willing give their time for very little money because they care about Harrison kids,We have a very hard working group of kids who really want to win but there may not be enouh of them with the talent to succeed for 4 Quarters

.Everyone ,though ,is still doing their parts.

You only need to look 3 miles up the road to QP where a multiple "Coach of the Year "winner who has the power to recruit and pick and choose his players is 0-3.Toto we're not in Hoboken anymore.He's only making $95,000 more a year than our coaches.

So what's the answer? In Harrison for the next few years it's waiting for the perfect storm where enormously talented kids who are enormous meet the good coaches that we have.In the meantime you should be happy in the fact that we have a program with 40 kids who still want to win and coaches who still care about the kids win or lose.

You know you really don't know.I'm sure that if you could meet all the qualifications to even walk on the field as a volunteer ,you wouldn't want to give up a large portion of your summer for pre season.Then I'm sure running a post season condition program with athletes who are also playing two other sports would be out of the question.

Just come out and support the kids .Then everyone will be a winner.