Board of Education

provis

Guest Guest
I TOLD YOU I DON'T CARE IF THE TAX PAYERS AREN'T HAPPY. I DIDN'T MAKE THE LAWS, I'M JUST TAKING ADVANTAGE OF THEM

HIGGINS

School chief contracts may be examined statewide

5/27/2008, 6:20 p.m. ET

By TOM HESTER Jr.

The Associated Press

TRENTON, N.J. (AP) — Gov. Jon S. Corzine's administration may scour school superintendent contracts to see how many may provide hefty severance packages.

Corzine said Tuesday that he will probably ask state-appointed county school superintendents to see if other contracts resemble the one given to Keansburg Superintendent Barbara Trzeszkowski.

Trzeszkowski is retiring with a $740,000 severance package from the school district that has received heavy state funding because it's among the poorest in the state.

"I think we ought to look at the contracts of superintendents on a broad basis, make sure that we don't have similar kinds of failings in existing contracts," Corzine said.

The Trzeszkowski package provoked outrage from lawmakers, and Corzine authorized state education officials to seek a court injunction preventing the money from being paid.

"I think it is not acceptable that we have that kind of payout package when our children need those dollars vested in the classroom," Corzine said.

Under the severance package, Trzeszkowski is due to receive pay for unused sick days and vacation time on top of pay equal to one month of her salary for each of the nearly 40 years she worked.

Corzine said his administration would "look at every possible way" to halt the payout, including "direct dialogue."

Corzine said he hopes litigation won't be necessary, but said the severance package "doesn't seem like an appropriate expenditure of taxpayer dollars when dollars for schools are scarce."

When asked what the state could do if the contract were found legal and proper, Corzine said a judge will decide "whether the case that the attorney general will make is appropriate in the context of whether this is proper reflection of education policy that has been laid down in the state."

"It could be that it was not put in place appropriately," Corzine said. "We'll look at all the details. What we want to do is start a process."

DID YOU EVER WONDER WHAT PETE AND OJ GOT ???

I'D BET ITS TWICE MORE THAN KEANSBURG. :P

OUR YES BOARD (UNELECTED),SHOULD CONTEMPLATE FUTURE ACTIONS,

WITH PRESENT SHIP OF FOOLS.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest DAC478
School chief contracts may be examined statewide

5/27/2008, 6:20 p.m. ET

By TOM HESTER Jr.

The Associated Press

TRENTON, N.J. (AP) — Gov. Jon S. Corzine's administration may scour school superintendent contracts to see how many may provide hefty severance packages.

Corzine said Tuesday that he will probably ask state-appointed county school superintendents to see if other contracts resemble the one given to Keansburg Superintendent Barbara Trzeszkowski.

Trzeszkowski is retiring with a $740,000 severance package from the school district that has received heavy state funding because it's among the poorest in the state.

"I think we ought to look at the contracts of superintendents on a broad basis, make sure that we don't have similar kinds of failings in existing contracts," Corzine said.

The Trzeszkowski package provoked outrage from lawmakers, and Corzine authorized state education officials to seek a court injunction preventing the money from being paid.

"I think it is not acceptable that we have that kind of payout package when our children need those dollars vested in the classroom," Corzine said.

Under the severance package, Trzeszkowski is due to receive pay for unused sick days and vacation time on top of pay equal to one month of her salary for each of the nearly 40 years she worked.

Corzine said his administration would "look at every possible way" to halt the payout, including "direct dialogue."

Corzine said he hopes litigation won't be necessary, but said the severance package "doesn't seem like an appropriate expenditure of taxpayer dollars when dollars for schools are scarce."

When asked what the state could do if the contract were found legal and proper, Corzine said a judge will decide "whether the case that the attorney general will make is appropriate in the context of whether this is proper reflection of education policy that has been laid down in the state."

"It could be that it was not put in place appropriately," Corzine said. "We'll look at all the details. What we want to do is start a process."

DID YOU EVER WONDER WHAT PETE AND OJ GOT ???

I'D BET ITS TWICE MORE THAN KEANSBURG. :P

OUR YES BOARD (UNELECTED),SHOULD CONTEMPLATE FUTURE ACTIONS,

WITH PRESENT SHIP OF FOOLS.

O.J. was the longest serving superintendent in the state of New Jersey. He had sixty years service when he left. That entitles him to 100% of his salery upon retirement. I wonder how many sick days he got paid for after sixry years of service. That might be a good research project for the governor's committee.