The Stevenson, Torres, Mayor Santos Connection?

Guest Kearny Parent

Guest Kearny Parent

Does the Mayor have an interest in the Kearny Schools? Is Mayor's Aide and past President of the board of education Mary Torres pressing political power in trying to sneak David Stevenson under the radar for another term on the BOE. Don't be fooled, look at the his record as a person and a board member and ask yourself, is he the best candidate to best serve the taxpayers, teachers, and most of all the School Children of Kearny? Is a vote for David Stevenson a vote for Mayor Santos and Mary Torres?

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Longtime Kearnyite
Does the Mayor have an interest in the Kearny Schools? Is Mayor's Aide and past President of the board of education Mary Torres pressing political power in trying to sneak David Stevenson under the radar for another term on the BOE. Don't be fooled, look at the his record as a person and a board member and ask yourself, is he the best candidate to best serve the taxpayers, teachers, and most of all the School Children of Kearny? Is a vote for David Stevenson a vote for Mayor Santos and Mary Torres?

I think Mary Torres did an admirable job on the Board of Ed for over twenty years. I didn't know she was supporting anyone for the Board of Education election. If she is, that's a positive for me.

Guest Board Observer

Unless I am completely missing something, I don't think Stevenson is even a candidate.

Guest The Terminator

Hi Bert!

Guest Guest

If he is, I'm there. He did a good job before, and he can't be worse than Campbell and Castelli.

Guest Guest
Hi Bert!

Good guess. Everybody knows that **** *** ****** because he couldn't ****** ******. Why he continues to **** * ****l ** ******* is a mystery, maybe even to him.

Guest Guest
I think Mary Torres did an admirable job on the Board of Ed for over twenty years. I didn't know she was supporting anyone for the Board of Education election. If she is, that's a positive for me.

Specifically what did Mary and Dave do that was so admirable?

Guest Guest
If he is, I'm there. He did a good job before, and he can't be worse than Campbell and Castelli.

You got that right! Campbell and Castelli are like frick and frack. They're in it for their egos.

Guest Parent
Specifically what did Mary and Dave do that was so admirable?

Nothing for kids, But they sure as hell brought POLITICS into this school system when they were members. Is this what the parents and students deserve. I would think not. Keep politics out of our schools.

Guest Board Observer
Nothing for kids, But they sure as hell brought POLITICS into this school system when they were members. Is this what the parents and students deserve. I would think not. Keep politics out of our schools.

Without backup, that's just mudslinging! What politcs were brought into the school system? Are you suggesting that employees or administrators wered treated differently based on whose political sign they put up? If so, who?

Guest Guest
Without backup, that's just mudslinging! What politcs were brought into the school system? Are you suggesting that employees or administrators wered treated differently based on whose political sign they put up? If so, who?

I guess you were completely missing something because Stevenson was elected.

And of course the KBOE never shows nepostism, right?

• 1 month later...
Guest School Watch

There is alot of construction being done on these schools. Where millions of dollars are being spent we need to be very aware of the people who oversee this work. One would hope that the entire school board watch with great interest Mr. Stevenson (who is also a member of the Kearny Planning Board)and is in the construction business, works his expertise. Each board member needs to know 1. who is doing the work 2.Where the contractor buys his materials.3.If there are any sub contractors, their names and who recommended them. My hope is that Mr. Stevenson would educate his fellow board members on the inner workings of the construction business so the board can be fully aware of these very important areas mentioned which could result in a possible cost savings for the school district.

Guest Guest
There is alot of construction being done on these schools. Where millions of dollars are being spent we need to be very aware of the people who oversee this work. One would hope that the entire school board watch with great interest Mr. Stevenson (who is also a member of the Kearny Planning Board)and is in the construction business, works his expertise. Each board member needs to know 1. who is doing the work 2.Where the contractor buys his materials.3.If there are any sub contractors, their names and who recommended them. My hope is that Mr. Stevenson would educate his fellow board members on the inner workings of the construction business so the board can be fully aware of these very important areas mentioned which could result in a possible cost savings for the school district.

Maybe Steveson can vote to get himself a consulting fee.

If and I say If the SCC is involved in any school construction it is being overseen by the DCA thats the Department of Community Affairs in other words the State of NJ. When the SCC gets involved in school construction the local planning board and BOE have very little input if any. All plans are approved by the DCA prior to construction. As for the materials end of it the SCC and the DCA require that the General contractor of the site hire an independent construction testing labratory. The testing lab will oversee all aspects of the construction making sure the structural engineers specifications are followed to the letter. Also the inspection lab will do daily spot checks on the construction such as testing the strucural steel by magnetic or magnaflux inspection, welds, bolting is checked. Concrete being poured will be sampled and sent in to the lab for compressive strength testing. Backfill being placed will be checked for moisture content, for density and compaction. I know this because I work for a construction testing labratory for the past 18 years and am involved in the construction of several schools around the state of NJ. Like I said if the SCC is involved the local BOE has no say in the daily building of a school.

Guest Schoolwatch
If and I say If the SCC is involved in any school construction it is being overseen by the DCA thats the Department of Community Affairs in other words the State of NJ. When the SCC gets involved in school construction the local planning board and BOE have very little input if any. All plans are approved by the DCA prior to construction. As for the materials end of it the SCC and the DCA require that the General contractor of the site hire an independent construction testing labratory. The testing lab will oversee all aspects of the construction making sure the structural engineers specifications are followed to the letter. Also the inspection lab will do daily spot checks on the construction such as testing the strucural steel by magnetic or magnaflux inspection, welds, bolting is checked. Concrete being poured will be sampled and sent in to the lab for compressive strength testing. Backfill being placed will be checked for moisture content, for density and compaction. I know this because I work for a construction testing labratory for the past 18 years and am involved in the construction of several schools around the state of NJ. Like I said if the SCC is involved the local BOE has no say in the daily building of a school.

Does the inner workings of the construcion business need to have 2 people on the same page? 1. The general contractor, 2.The Architect, Do these people control the purse strings? Mr Stevenson being in the construction business should know this and needs to let his fellow board members know how materials are purchased, how subcontractors are selected, who influences who does the work, Again we would hope that Mr Stevenson will educate his fellow board members on the inner workings of the construction trade so to avoid and prevent possible abuse of the system, with the goal of making every tax dollar count in the interests of the Kearny Taxpayers and MOST OF ALL "THE SCHOOL CHILDREN OF KEARNY"

Does the inner workings of the construcion business need to have 2 people on the same page? 1. The general contractor, 2.The Architect, Do these people control the purse strings? Mr Stevenson being in the construction business should know this and needs to let his fellow board members know how materials are purchased, how subcontractors are selected, who influences who does the work, Again we would hope that Mr Stevenson will educate his fellow board members on the inner workings of the construction trade so to avoid and prevent possible abuse of the system, with the goal of making every tax dollar count in the interests of the Kearny Taxpayers and MOST OF ALL "THE SCHOOL CHILDREN OF KEARNY"

In the case of the town of Kearny you have the Engineer, Architect,and General contractor. What you need to understand is that once the school board decides to build either a new buidling or improvements on an existing structure, The school board will bring the proposal to a Architect to design the project along with an engineering firm, From there a dollar amount will be assigned to the project in terms of what it will cost to build or repair. At this point the School board will put out to bid the project. The contractor with the lowest bid wins, the GC will put out a bid then for subcontractors or rehire subs they have worked with in the past. Material purchased are done so by the different building trades, this is where the engineer comes in he/she will approve or disprove the material suppliers. Again low bid gets the job. Whether Mr.Stevenson tells his fellow board members or not is up to him. If any board member does not understand the inner workings of how construction practices are done, they do not belong on the board.

Guest School Watch

The Board of Education needs to monitor fees, material costs, and have the G.C make available to the board a list of all sub contractors doing the work , supply companies that are providing materials, Monitor change orders that will lead to cost over runs. Connecting the dots are very important in the process in saving Tax Dollars. The most important thing we need to remember is that we have no conflict of interest issues. As a Taxpayer and Board Observer I will be monitoring this work very carefully in the hopes that accountably is our main objective. An objective that U.S. Attorney Mr Christie would be able to come in and say that Kearny is not like some communities that abuse power for personal gain and use their positons to gain threw the system. I totally disagree with your statement that board members should know about the constuction business. Board members are educated by the information that is given to them. The above areas I mentioned I don't believe the board of education has in front of them to weight in terms of being able to judge that we are getting the "best bang for our dollar" Mr Stevenson is advanced in this area and could only be helpful to his fellow board members if he chooses.

Guest Guest Who?
If any board member does not understand the inner workings of how construction practices are done, they do not belong on the board.

Yes, because the construction practices are all that is involved with being a board member. :angry:

<_<

Guest Guest
Yes, because the construction practices are all that is involved with being a board member. :)

<_<

I heard that the Kearny School District lost all the money for the KHS project because they didn't use it on time and that Mooney, Yeaman's & Kiss went to Washington this past week to try and get it back! Fiasco or what? And where is the Board of Ed watching what Mooney & Kiss are doing?

Guest Guest Who?
I heard that the Kearny School District lost all the money for the KHS project because they didn't use it on time and that Mooney, Yeaman's & Kiss went to Washington this past week to try and get it back! Fiasco or what? And where is the Board of Ed watching what Mooney & Kiss are doing?

That is so far from the truth you it is ridiculous. The FAA is trying to back out of their obligation but not for any lack of doing by the school district.

Guest Guest
That is so far from the truth you it is ridiculous. The FAA is trying to back out of their obligation but not for any lack of doing by the school district.

Really? I think it was because they were delinquent in not starting the project and thus the agency spent the money set aside.

Guest Guest Who?
Really? I think it was because they were delinquent in not starting the project and thus the agency spent the money set aside.

You are wrong.

Guest Guest

Really? You're mistaken.

Guest Guest
Really? Then tell us the truth. Maybe I am mistaken.

The district did everything according to the rules and was ready to go at least a year ago. The hold up is that 5 years later one of the funding agencies is dragging their feet over their $$$ commitment.