Franklin Ave & The Gardens

Franklin

It is kind of sad to see not much has changed in the psyche of the people of Harrison. I see Franklin Ave & The Gardens still get beat up, and are the blame for a lot of the towns woes. It has been over twenty years ago I left Harrison, not much has changed, has it?

The Kids from Franklin Ave & the Gardens got the short end of the stick then and still do it seems. Are the Franklin Ave. & Garden kids still labeled and targeted in the High school? Probably, it seems from reading some of these post. After all, being from a lower economic class is a crime that should be punished severely.

I also see the Harrison P.D. & Fire Department get the same abuse from the residents they always have. Interesting how the "Newark" comparison is also still alive and well too. Harrison is not now, or ever has been even close to being on par with Newark. It is in large part due to the HARD work of the Harrison P.D & F.D. and always has been, and of course a Mayor & counsel that supports their efforts. Anyone remember guys named Frank Rodgers, Kinsella, Saporito or Greene? Each one of them personally saw to it, Harrison would not fall into the abyss, and it hasn't. The comparison with Newark is almost laughable. Maybe you should take a ride up to So. Orange Ave & Bergen St. or So. 6th,7th, 8th, 9th, etc. & see for yourself. (Not the Pac center area)

The calls for the disbanding of the Fire Department, surely you jest. I currently live in a town that has "volunteer" firemen, although their effort is admirable, it is not the same as 24x7-365 professional protection. Answer this question honestly ,if you can. If your Mother,wife or child was trapped in a burning building at lets say, 2 PM which one would you choose, the professional or volunteer? (Remember at 2PM most volunteers are working other jobs)

Harrison is not a perfect town and never will be, like most other towns. You can move to a perfect town however, just drive down Utopia Blvd. Make a right on to the Wonderland Parkway and you are there. Oh, I almost forgot, you have to click your heels three times first.

Guest Guest
It is kind of sad to see not much has changed in the psyche of the people of Harrison. I see Franklin Ave & The Gardens still get beat up, and are the blame for a lot of the towns woes. It has been over twenty years ago I left Harrison, not much has changed, has it?

The Kids from Franklin Ave & the Gardens got the short end of the stick then and still do it seems. Are the Franklin Ave. & Garden kids still labeled and targeted in the High school? Probably, it seems from reading some of these post. After all, being from a lower economic class is a crime that should be punished severely.

I also see the Harrison P.D. & Fire Department get the same abuse from the residents they always have. Interesting how the "Newark" comparison is also still alive and well too. Harrison is not now, or ever has been even close to being on par with Newark. It is in large part due to the HARD work of the Harrison P.D & F.D. and always has been, and of course a Mayor & counsel that supports their efforts. Anyone remember guys named Frank Rodgers, Kinsella, Saporito or Greene? Each one of them personally saw to it, Harrison would not fall into the abyss, and it hasn't. The comparison with Newark is almost laughable. Maybe you should take a ride up to So. Orange Ave & Bergen St. or So. 6th,7th, 8th, 9th, etc. & see for yourself. (Not the Pac center area)

The calls for the disbanding of the Fire Department, surely you jest. I currently live in a town that has "volunteer" firemen, although their effort is admirable, it is not the same as 24x7-365 professional protection. Answer this question honestly ,if you can. If your Mother,wife or child was trapped in a burning building at lets say, 2 PM which one would you choose, the professional or volunteer? (Remember at 2PM most volunteers are working other jobs)

Harrison is not a perfect town and never will be, like most other towns. You can move to a perfect town however, just drive down Utopia Blvd. Make a right on to the Wonderland Parkway and you are there. Oh, I almost forgot, you have to click your heels three times first.

It is nice to read a sensable post once in a while. Even though they are few and far between.

Guest Guest

If Harrison's so great why don't you move back. You've been gone for 20 years. Rodgers is gone. McDonough has no clue. His buddy steals 100,000 in quarters and he has no clue. If you believe him, what else is happening that he doesn't know about. He is either lying or a poor manager.

If Harrison's so great why don't you move back. You've been gone for 20 years. Rodgers is gone. McDonough has no clue. His buddy steals 100,000 in quarters and he has no clue. If you believe him, what else is happening that he doesn't know about. He is either lying or a poor manager.

If I could move back I would, maybe in the near future though. How is the Mayor responsible for what an employee of the town did? Seems to me the man has been sent to jail for his indiscretion/crime. If the Mayor condones these sort of things, then how come he didn't sweep it under the carpet? How come the Mayor didn't use his influence to keep him out of jail?

I will speak for myself on this one, but I for one wouldn't want to spend three years in prison for $100,000 or even $100,000,000. If the politicians are so powerful and the P.D. are in their pockets, who allowed the investigation to go forward? Seems like the right thing was done to me. If he was a so called friend of the Mayor's, that only proves how honest the mayor was on this issue, at least.

The man made a huge mistake and is paying for it severely, he even pled quilty. You act as though he got a pardon from Bill Clinton, for heavens sake.

Guest Guest

Who is else is stealing is the question????? Who replaced Tanski? I think that is what people should be worried about.

Who is else is stealing is the question????? Who replaced Tanski? I think that is what people should be worried about.

I honestly don't think it would matter if Moses or Mary took the job next, people on this site would find fault. Did you apply for the job or any other town position in Harrison? If not shut up, or build a boat so you won't drown in a river of your own tears. Get a job, make something of yourself. If you tell the Department of Civil Service you have a learning disability they have to make special provisions for people like yourself. They can speak real slow and print everything in large letters, you can even use crayons...you just might have a chance.

Guest Guest
I honestly don't think it would matter if Moses or Mary took the job next, people on this site would find fault. Did you apply for the job or any other town position in Harrison? If not shut up, or build a boat so you won't drown in a river of your own tears. Get a job, make something of yourself. If you tell the Department of Civil Service you have a learning disability they have to make special provisions for people like yourself. They can speak real slow and print everything in large letters, you can even use crayons...you just might have a chance.

This writer is not FINDING FAULT with the replacement of Tanski the fault was already there. Read the other posts and the write up from the newspapers.

After following a link to this site from a rant of what Public Officials in Harrison are paid, I for one was impressed by the names I saw on the Harrison employee roster. Many of the people on the list including the Council, Police, Fire, teachers and public works departments are long standing residents of the town, with histories of public service to Harrison, for generations.

Many I knew, and quite a few, I either grew up with or went to school with, some were even neighbors. If you honestly believe your town employees are over paid, I suggest you do some research. You just might want to compare those salaries to , oh, I don't know like Bergen county municipalities, or other towns within Hudson & Essex counties. I think if you are honest, you will see they are paid fairly, or under paid.

That is not even to mention the fact, you have some very capable, decent and hardworking people on that list. I think it is fair to state you are getting a bargain compared to comparative towns.

No I do not live, work or have any affiliation or anything to gain, that is why I can be honest. Well I guess that isn't exactly true. I was raised there and the town means a very lot to me and my family. I miss it a lot.

Guest Guest
After following a link to this site from a rant of what Public Officials in Harrison are paid, I for one was impressed by the names I saw on the Harrison employee roster. Many of the people on the list including the Council, Police, Fire, teachers and public works departments are long standing residents of the town, with histories of public service to Harrison, for generations.

Many I knew, and quite a few, I either grew up with or went to school with, some were even neighbors. If you honestly believe your town employees are over paid, I suggest you do some research. You just might want to compare those salaries to , oh, I don't know like Bergen county municipalities, or other towns within Hudson & Essex counties. I think if you are honest, you will see they are paid fairly, or under paid.

That is not even to mention the fact, you have some very capable, decent and hardworking people on that list. I think it is fair to state you are getting a bargain compared to comparative towns.

No I do not live, work or have any affiliation or anything to gain, that is why I can be honest. Well I guess that isn't exactly true. I was raised there and the town means a very lot to me and my family. I miss it a lot.

If you don't live or have any affiliation why are you so capable of knowing what is fair in this town? Have you seen a tax bill or know where the money is being hidden? How about the graft Maybe you should look into that! Dpo some research and take a ride down that memory lane

You have to be kidding me to say these people are underpaid. Most of these people were hired without any competition. If it were truly about taking care of people who cared about the town you would actually see people who lived in the town being hired. Most of these people commute from the seashore and think the people in the town are scumbags. I here them talking about Harrison like it were a third world country. I grew up in Harrison and my family still lives in Harrison. I visit all the time and it is a digrace how most of the people on the town payroll s**k the taxpayers money without giving a crap about the town. These people are supporting towns like Bayville, PT. Pleasant, Spring Lake and Belmar. So get real Franklin and visit the town and see who has stayed and try to make the town a better place. Most of the town employees are overpaid for the work they do and any future hiring should be open to everyone and that way all this nepotism would be out and we would'nt have all this scandal. It does'nt take genius to understand the towns hiring process is broken and needs to be fixed.

Guest Guest

If you think Harrison today is the same as twenty years ago I have a suggestion for you. Why don't you visit Harrison, stay in the much vaunted new hotel. Talk to the residents if you can speak Spanish. Walk down Harrison Ave and see all the new stores, travel agencies, nail places, restaurants and stores that you can't even read their signs to see what they sell. Check out our taxes and water bills, see our traffic first hand. Walk down Franklin Ave. and see if it's the same place you remember. Then give us another post on your findings. Stop living in the past. Unfortunately, McDonough is not Frank Rodgers and Fat Ronnie is not Kinsella.

Frankln,

I too moved from Harrison some years ago and I too hurt when I see all the negativity that's posted on this forum. However, we did leave, and because we did it's hard for us to accept that the town we grew-up in and loved so much is not the same. Time changes things and unfortunately Harrison is one of them. Given that ,it's not for us to say, whether or not it is what it is. If you want to see the changes, as one already posted, just walk down Harrison Ave. or 4th. St.(Rodgers Blvd.) . Or better yet, if you have access to the Star Ledger, check out the box scores in the sports pages. The thing you'll notice is the absence of the names that begin with Mc, Mac, O' or end with vowels or "ski". This is how the town has changed and like it or not that's reality. As for the unhappiness people have expressed with the individuals who have been elected to run the town, if you think back and are truly honest with yourself, the same thing was being said when we were growing -up. It's a reality of small town politics. The in's and not so in's. Sooner or later the noisey wheel will get the oil and through the vote the new people in town will get their own in office and then we'll see if there will be any change.

Guest Guest

You must have Amnesia! Franklin Ave had a Gang when Gangs were unheard of! If you were dumb enough to walk past 'Their' basketball court (by yourself of course) They would either beat you and take your money or just beat you up. The Gardens were no better same thing there! If you went into 'The Circle' Same thing, kids came from everywhere to get at you. That doesn't happen anymore cause all the original trash from The Gardens and The Ghetto are long gone? So stay in Bricktown, shut up and watch the boats! In alot of ways Harrison is better now than it used to be!

Guest You ARE A DUMBAS-S
You must have Amnesia! Franklin Ave had a Gang when Gangs were unheard of! If you were dumb enough to walk past 'Their' basketball court (by yourself of course) They would either beat you and take your money or just beat you up. The Gardens were no better same thing there! If you went into 'The Circle' Same thing, kids came from everywhere to get at you. That doesn't happen anymore cause all the original trash from The Gardens and The Ghetto are long gone? So stay in Bricktown, shut up and watch the boats! In alot of ways Harrison is better now than it used to be!

You must be smoking the smae pipe the Town Fathers are pssing around, "GANGS" this Town is infested with them, get your head out of your ass MORON, this is not 1983, hell most of us wish it was.

Where the hell do you live nad work dipsh-t.

Stevie Wonder drove thru the other day and stated "whol;ley sh-t this is rat hole" LOL

PS Sorry Mayor and Council did not mean to wake you-up from your fu-king pipe dreams, start protecting your citiznes, or go retire down the shore!!!!

Guest Guest
You must be smoking the smae pipe the Town Fathers are pssing around, "GANGS" this Town is infested with them, get your head out of your ass MORON, this is not 1983, hell most of us wish it was.

Where the hell do you live nad work dipsh-t.

Stevie Wonder drove thru the other day and stated "whol;ley sh-t this is rat hole" LOL

PS Sorry Mayor and Council did not mean to wake you-up from your fu-king pipe dreams, start protecting your citiznes, or go retire down the shore!!!!

Question? How come anyone that makes a true,honest fact, it gets thrown back at the Mayor and Council? They get blamed for everything! The point is this. Gangs are everywhere I know it, you know it, the Town knows it. It's a Police matter not a Political matter. The Mayor and Council have nothing to do with it! They don't carry badges and they don't tell landlords who to rent to. All they can do is hope that the H.P.D. can manage the 'Gang' problem (which is almost impossible) I think in this day and age, that the Mayor does an excellent job. The world is a tough place to live in and times are really bad and it doesn't matter where you're from its all the same problems. Harrison is not the old Harrison that we all knew, nothing is! I think that in the Grand Plan (that the Mayor has for the Town) is a bold move forward! Remember! Nothing ever stays the same. I won't answer that pipe smoking stuff, come back with intelligent material!

I read your post and it made me laugh. I was one of those so called kids from Franklin Ave. back when, as you said we beat everyone up that just walked by. Did that honestly ever happen to you or anyone you actually knew? Did you ever see that happen to anyone with your own eyes or did your parents tell you about those things? Maybe they were afraid you would associate yourself with those lower class (economic class) kids. The gang you are talking about (I assume) was the "Ghetto boy's". There never was an organized gang on Franklin Ave., that name was given to the neighborhood by the older Harrison P.D. Officers, if memory serves me correctly it was Officer ******** that coined that moniker. We just had fun with it, somehow it stuck. There were about 150-200 kids in that area including the Gardens. The biggest crime I can ever remember being committed was "Juveniles creating a disturbance", That call usually came in from little old ladies that didn't want the kids sitting on their porch. " I do remember though, what ever did happen in the town was usually blamed on the kids from Franklin Ave., regardless of where it happened. Some families kids were constantly harassed and blamed for just about everything (Two come to mind right away) My Mother & Father had seven children, my Father worked in a factory in town, as well as my Mother. We didn't have much, unless you count love. My parents did however put food on the table and did the best they could, all of us turned out pretty good I might add.

Thanks for the laugh, anymore stereotypes? Excuse me I have to go wack someone, and launder some money. You know how us Ghetto kids are. Thanks for making me smile!

Guest Guest
Question? How come anyone that makes a true,honest fact, it gets thrown back at the Mayor and Council? They get blamed for everything! The point is this. Gangs are everywhere I know it, you know it, the Town knows it. It's a Police matter not a Political matter. The Mayor and Council have nothing to do with it! They don't carry badges and they don't tell landlords who to rent to. All they can do is hope that the H.P.D. can manage the 'Gang' problem (which is almost impossible) I think in this day and age, that the Mayor does an excellent job. The world is a tough place to live in and times are really bad and it doesn't matter where you're from its all the same problems. Harrison is not the old Harrison that we all knew, nothing is! I think that in the Grand Plan (that the Mayor has for the Town) is a bold move forward! Remember! Nothing ever stays the same. I won't answer that pipe smoking stuff, come back with intelligent material!

The "Grand Plan," as you call is to force more long time residents out of town by raising their taxes to the point of capitulation. All of the new projects in town are given 30 year tax abatements, unheard of anywhere in the nation. Who is supporting the town for the next 30 years? The governor recommended towns cap their property taxes at 4%. Harrison raised their taxes 8%, despite a huge increase in "distressed City" money. If the state drops it's subsidies, homeowners will go bankrupt,

Guest Guest

This GRAND PLAN you speak of should be toast soon as for the Mayor not having anything to do with the town problems are you for real? The politics has really got to be checked by the state authority or we the people are going to get screwed even more by an absentee Mayor who doesn't want to know about the problems only how much money he can make off the town! Wake up

Guest Amnesia

:lol:;)

I read your post and it made me laugh. I was one of those so called kids from Franklin Ave. back when, as you said we beat everyone up that just walked by. Did that honestly ever happen to you or anyone you actually knew? Did you ever see that happen to anyone with your own eyes or did your parents tell you about those things? Maybe they were afraid you would associate yourself with those lower class (economic class) kids. The gang you are talking about (I assume) was the "Ghetto boy's". There never was an organized gang on Franklin Ave., that name was given to the neighborhood by the older Harrison P.D. Officers, if memory serves me correctly it was Officer ******** that coined that moniker. We just had fun with it, somehow it stuck. There were about 150-200 kids in that area including the Gardens. The biggest crime I can ever remember being committed was "Juveniles creating a disturbance", That call usually came in from little old ladies that didn't want the kids sitting on their porch. " I do remember though, what ever did happen in the town was usually blamed on the kids from Franklin Ave., regardless of where it happened. Some families kids were constantly harassed and blamed for just about everything (Two come to mind right away) My Mother & Father had seven children, my Father worked in a factory in town, as well as my Mother. We didn't have much, unless you count love. My parents did however put food on the table and did the best they could, all of us turned out pretty good I might add.

Thanks for the laugh, anymore stereotypes? Excuse me I have to go wack someone, and launder some money. You know how us Ghetto kids are. Thanks for making me smile!

This is for Franklin- Let me be honest! When I wrote about Franklin Ave/The Gardens I only put the words 'Original Trash' so that I would possibly get a response from someone and I am glad I did. I know that everyone that lived there was not trash thats ridiculous. You have to admit it, your parents had a list of kids that you had to stay away from. One fact I will make is that I don't forget where I came from! I came from (5th and Cleveland) and know that we were garbage. I'll also swear on a stack of Bibles that everytime that I went to Franklin Ave.(my grandmother lived in the gardens) I left with something missing. (a jacket,a baseball mitt,a football and even my sneaks!) I remember getting my pockets run and my money taken by a group of about 20 kids. They laughed at my friend and took his bike. I also remember telling my friends father and we went back to look for the bike. when we got there they all ran (I mean disappeared within a second) we went into a yard (1st six family on right off Hamilton) and found about 20 bicycles, there was Basketballs,Baseballs,Broken Toys it looked like 'Two Guys' the day after Christmas. One thing did stick out that day! Can you Guess? Wrong! It was my friends brand new bike with fresh spray paint still running off it. My old man said 'forget it' and went back to The Moose. True Story! I'll be honest, I hope that I get a few laughs with this stuff. If you like what I write(nothing vicious) let me know with a decent reply. I have alot of pretty funny stories about "The Way it Used to be'. Oh Yeah! Don't have Amnesia!

Guest Guest

Guest guest

Thanks for the laugh, anymore stereotypes? Excuse me I have to go wack someone, and launder

some money. You know how us Ghetto kids are. Thanks for making me smile!

This is the best stuff I've read on this site in a long long time. The truth at last!

Guest Guest
This is the best stuff I've read on this site in a long long time. The truth at last!

I was born and raised in this town, as a senior citizen I now live in the Gardens, a place as a child my father would not allow me to be. But let me tell you, I get off the Senior Bus with my bundles the kids are right there to carry them up to my apartment and when I offer them a dollar they decline. When I go out to put my garbage out they are right there to take it from me and throw it out for me. These kids that live here are the most respectful that I have seen in a long time. yes because we are low income these kids get a bad name.Give me the Ghetto kids any time

Guest fouth generation

Dear Franklin, I too have great pride in the town I have lived all of my life, and am a fourth generation Harrisonian. For the record, you don’t apply for positions here you are appointed. Sad but true. Someone was so naive to think they could apply for a job with Passaic Valley at Passaic Valley. Of course they were directed to speak to the powers to be in Harrison. It would be easier to think that people are simply being difficult but sadly that is not the case. If you were from town when our present leaders were children, then you’ll remember. Things weren’t much different. The one thing I will give Frank Rodgers is that he gave back to the people in some ways. That doesn’t seem to happen anymore. Seems to be take, take take. I do believe that most of our civil servants are good hardworking people with justifiable salaries as you stated, some even underpaid by comparison, but some of the leaders of our community seem to be working towards removing the heart of the community for personal financial gains and without regard for what makes this community what it is. The best interest of the community does not appear to be at hand. We’ll leave the light on for you, just be ready to pay a small fortune in taxes.

Ps / If you are a Franklin Ave. native I suggest you view the February 19th town council meeting on Joe Woods website and listen carefully to what a certain councilman refers to residents of Franklin Ave as. If I lived there we would be in court. “Transients”….? Nice from the mouth of the councilman of the same ward.

Ps / Believe “exbluetider”’s words. It’s as if he never left. Hey exbluetider. Always enjoy reading your posts.

:lol::lol: This is for Franklin- Let me be honest! When I wrote about Franklin Ave/The Gardens I only put the words 'Original Trash' so that I would possibly get a response from someone and I am glad I did. I know that everyone that lived there was not trash thats ridiculous. You have to admit it, your parents had a list of kids that you had to stay away from. One fact I will make is that I don't forget where I came from! I came from (5th and Cleveland) and know that we were garbage. I'll also swear on a stack of Bibles that everytime that I went to Franklin Ave.(my grandmother lived in the gardens) I left with something missing. (a jacket,a baseball mitt,a football and even my sneaks!) I remember getting my pockets run and my money taken by a group of about 20 kids. They laughed at my friend and took his bike. I also remember telling my friends father and we went back to look for the bike. when we got there they all ran (I mean disappeared within a second) we went into a yard (1st six family on right off Hamilton) and found about 20 bicycles, there was Basketballs,Baseballs,Broken Toys it looked like 'Two Guys' the day after Christmas. One thing did stick out that day! Can you Guess? Wrong! It was my friends brand new bike with fresh spray paint still running off it. My old man said 'forget it' and went back to The Moose. True Story! I'll be honest, I hope that I get a few laughs with this stuff. If you like what I write(nothing vicious) let me know with a decent reply. I have alot of pretty funny stories about "The Way it Used to be'. Oh Yeah! Don't have Amnesia!

Your killing me with these stories. Either both of us have amnesia or selective memory or quite possibly senility is setting in for me in my mid-forties. I do however detect one bit of truth in your story, the part about the first house on the right of Franklin Ave. I guess you are talking about the house beside the playground/basketball court? If so, you are correct. There were in fact basketballs, soccer balls, and various sports equipment kept in the corner of that yard. These were for everyones use, they were donated to us kids from our councilman Tommy Kinsella ( He should have been knighted or at least nominated for saint hood) Believe it or not some even came from a few Harrison cops, one that grew up on Franklin Ave & Another that grew up in the Gardens. (Imagine that)

As for the bikes parts, you are again correct, there were numerous old bike parts in that yard too. Again most were from bikes that were thrown out and stripped for various pieces, some kids even made complete bikes out of them. Actually, I always felt that was the true origin of the BMX bike; invented right there. Building 3-4 foot ramps and seeing how many kids that would lay down in front that you could jump over. (It was in the Evil Kenevil days mind you) I will not be so naive as to say no kid on Franklin Ave. ever stole a bike, but honestly most of those parts were either thrash (the original recyclers) or broken. There was a kid that lived in that house that had a talent for fixing bikes, almost every kid on the block sought his services at one time or another for bike repairs. I guess as long as I am being honest we originated riding your buddy on the back standing on stolen Pecter truck shift knobs, I guess we were really thugs...OMG! ( I hope the statue of limitations has run out, I don't want to get pinched by the Harrison P.D. after all these years)

Another thing, I do ride through Harrison often. Hey, I am a very nostalgic kind of guy. I work in Newark, in areas most people would not tread. I do know a little bit about reality, just a tad. Interestingly, the people in Newark complain about the city Government too, they also say the Police & Fire Department and city jobs are corrupt. I guess that is nothing knew, I am sure they say that in Fargo, North Dakota too, even though I have never been there, I will bet they do. Thanks for some pretty good memories and a few heart felt smiles.

Guest Guest
If I could move back I would, maybe in the near future though. How is the Mayor responsible for what an employee of the town did? Seems to me the man has been sent to jail for his indiscretion/crime. If the Mayor condones these sort of things, then how come he didn't sweep it under the carpet? How come the Mayor didn't use his influence to keep him out of jail?

I will speak for myself on this one, but I for one wouldn't want to spend three years in prison for $100,000 or even $100,000,000. If the politicians are so powerful and the P.D. are in their pockets, who allowed the investigation to go forward? Seems like the right thing was done to me. If he was a so called friend of the Mayor's, that only proves how honest the mayor was on this issue, at least.

The man made a huge mistake and is paying for it severely, he even pled quilty. You act as though he got a pardon from Bill Clinton, for heavens sake.

Franklyn noting personal actually liked some of your memories, Thanks. but I think your full of crap. Reading your posts it is plainly obvious that your only intent other then using rouse to draw some attention away from your main point by focusing on Franklin Ave is to serve the town with what amounts to be a political Jedi mind trick. You mention things like apply for jobs in town, when is the last time one has been advertised? additionally there has allegedly been a hiring freeze which was explained to have been in place before a certain administrator was hired to replace a certain person going to spend time in lock up for the said quarter effect.

You ask questions like "how is the mayor responsible" that is interesting, you either really don't know or you have been gone for so long you forgot. Since probably before the days of Rogers the mayor controls the town, all aspects, noting happens that doesn't enrich him or what he wants. Responsibility is a funny word. Maybe the procedures should have been changed when the 3rd town employee was caught stealing the said quarters. Incidentally I think the current (Billy) is the first to go away for it, in fact one was rehired after his offence. So if you think Billy T didn't weigh his options between what the indictment would do and what the other options were (gamboling debt/Judges on the cuff, family jobs or other) your nuts. Do you think for a moment that he is going to do time (yes) but his time wont be in the conventional sense he's going to be in a hotel for a couple of years. and to the powers that be all remain the same. everybody gets what they want just like the old days, nothing has changed they might as well propped Frankie's body up and kept him as mayor for 100 years.