William F. Buckley - RIP

Guest Radagast

Guest Radagast

A decade or so ago, I remember that wonderful line up of shows on PBS Saturday morning. The Open Mind ... Adam Smith's Money World .. the late Louis Rukeyser and, of course, the first few notes of a Scarlati Sonata that signaled the start of William F. Buckley's 'Firing Line'.

Firing Line, in my opinion, was the best 'discussion show' ever to grace the airwaves. I'm not just saying that because he's dead, either. I seldom agreed with him on issue but his depth of intellect and dry wit always kept me tuned in. He would have traditional 'debates' on his show that would always draw the great thinkers on both sides of an issue to spar. Buckley wasn't afraid to defend his side in a debate and sometimes even lose. You always left the show with more questions than answers. I still remember a debate between him and Ronald Reagan over pros and cons the US Panama Canal handover to Panama. It was a sight to behold watching two guys who otherwise agreed with each other arguing within the rules of debate. 'Firing Line' would also have just plain lively discussions which would include his worst political enemies of the time such as George McGovern and others. However, you knew that at the end of the show they were sharing a glass of wine and inquiring about each other's families. It was a different world than the slash and burn TV and radio politics of today.

The commercially austere and deeply thoughtful days of William F. Buckley's broadcast conservatism has given way to the nasty personal attacks and of smirking know it alls like Limbaugh and O'Reilly. They would never dream of losing a debate. They're always right. I think it s**ks but it obviously sells or FOX wouldn't be doing so well. On the left, Olbermann is no different. It's as if we just want to be entertained by politics, we don't want to think about it. Hooray for our side.

Too bad.

A decade or so ago, I remember that wonderful line up of shows on PBS Saturday morning. The Open Mind ... Adam Smith's Money World .. the late Louis Rukeyser and, of course, the first few notes of a Scarlati Sonata that signaled the start of William F. Buckley's 'Firing Line'.

Firing Line, in my opinion, was the best 'discussion show' ever to grace the airwaves. I'm not just saying that because he's dead, either. I seldom agreed with him on issue but his depth of intellect and dry wit always kept me tuned in. He would have traditional 'debates' on his show that would always draw the great thinkers on both sides of an issue to spar. Buckley wasn't afraid to defend his side in a debate and sometimes even lose. You always left the show with more questions than answers. I still remember a debate between him and Ronald Reagan over pros and cons the US Panama Canal handover to Panama. It was a sight to behold watching two guys who otherwise agreed with each other arguing within the rules of debate. 'Firing Line' would also have just plain lively discussions which would include his worst political enemies of the time such as George McGovern and others. However, you knew that at the end of the show they were sharing a glass of wine and inquiring about each other's families. It was a different world than the slash and burn TV and radio politics of today.

The commercially austere and deeply thoughtful days of William F. Buckley's broadcast conservatism has given way to the nasty personal attacks and of smirking know it alls like Limbaugh and O'Reilly. They would never dream of losing a debate. They're always right. I think it s**ks but it obviously sells or FOX wouldn't be doing so well. On the left, Olbermann is no different. It's as if we just want to be entertained by politics, we don't want to think about it. Hooray for our side.

Too bad.

Just to temper immotality a tad:

>>>Buckley also had little use for the music of the counterculture, once calling the Beatles "so unbelievably horrible, so appallingly unmusical, so dogmatically insensitive to the magic of the art, that they qualify as crowned heads of antimusic."<<<

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080228/ap_on_...obit_buckley_25

Guest a proud american

Too bad.

You're absloutely correct. I loved his show and he had the grace and dignity that is so lacking today. He will be missed.

Guest 2smart4u

Too bad.

He was a great man. But of course he was, he was a clear-thinking Republican.

Guest True Patriot
He was a great man. But of course he was, he was a clear-thinking Republican.

Unlike neocon fools like you, rational people are capable of respecting someone who disagrees with them. When was the last time you showed respect for someone with a different point of view than yours, punk?

Guest Kearny Republican
Unlike neocon fools like you, rational people are capable of respecting someone who disagrees with them. When was the last time you showed respect for someone with a different point of view than yours, punk?

I'm sure the only time you could call someone a punk and get away with it is on your computer, right ?

Guest Guest

Too bad.

Pompous doesn't even begin to describe the man.

Guest Studies and Observations

Much like yourself??? Pot, Meet Kettle

Guest Guest
I'm sure the only time you could call someone a punk and get away with it is on your computer, right ?

If someone acts like a punk online, I will tend to call them on it on the same medium. Act like a punk in person, and I will say so, in person.

So no, wrong. You're wrong, as usual.

Guest Republican Guest
If someone acts like a punk online, I will tend to call them on it on the same medium. Act like a punk in person, and I will say so, in person.

So no, wrong. You're wrong, as usual.

"tend to call them on it on the same medium" ?? I tend to call someone like you effeminate.

Guest Radagast
You're absloutely correct. I loved his show and he had the grace and dignity that is so lacking today. He will be missed.

I remember when he ran for Mayor of New York City. When asked by a reporter,' Mr. Buckley, what would be the first action you would take if elected?' his reply was, 'Ask for a recount.'

How can you not like a guy like that?

Guest *Autonomous*
"tend to call them on it on the same medium" ?? I tend to call someone like you effeminate.

So your bad grammar makes you more manly?

What is it with neocons and question marks? No space is needed between the last letter and the question mark, and only one is needed. You guys accuse everyone of drinking the Kool-Aid, but you think so alike that you make the same grammatical errors.

Guest Guest

Since "effeminate" apparently means "having a higher vocabulary than I", okay.

In any case, you have failed miserably to insult me. Perhaps such a comment would phase a small child. Give it another shot at the playground.

Guest 2smart4u
Since "effeminate" apparently means "having a higher vocabulary than I", okay.

In any case, you have failed miserably to insult me. Perhaps such a comment would phase a small child. Give it another shot at the playground.

"phase" a small child? Dummy, the word is FAZE. (and yes, I have a superior vocabulary).

Guest 2smart4u
So your bad grammar makes you more manly?

What is it with neocons and question marks? No space is needed between the last letter and the question mark, and only one is needed. You guys accuse everyone of drinking the Kool-Aid, but you think so alike that you make the same grammatical errors.

What is it with Loony Lefties and their fetish for question marks? Is that a Kool-Aid thing ?? (Oh, no, I

just made a grammatical error).

Guest Aotonomous
What is it with Loony Lefties and their fetish for question marks? Is that a Kool-Aid thing ?? (Oh, no, I

A love of the English language is not a fetish. Your need to abuse it might be.

The hilarious thing about your constant Kool-Aid references is that several posters here make identical posts. You, Patriot, Bushbacker, Republican Guest, Kearny Senior (and minor variations) all agree with each other 100%. Bryan is the only neocon to break the mold.

On the other hand, I'm pro-life, pro-balanced budget, anti-gun control, anti-tax, anti-unilateral withdrawal, and pro-death penalty. Somehow your warped mind sees that as a Kool-aid drinking Loony Leftie because I think that the Bush administration was incompetent in prosecuting the Iraq occupation and I'm an atheist.

The best thing about the whole charade is that any time anyone questions your idiocy, you can't come up with anything but a retarded retort. At least Bryan can argue.

Guest Educator
"phase" a small child? Dummy, the word is FAZE. (and yes, I have a superior vocabulary).

To use "phase" in place of "faze" really shows up a lack of intelligence, common to democrats.

Guest Guest
To use "phase" in place of "faze" really shows up a lack of intelligence, common to democrats.

It's a minor, isolated mistake, whereas 2dim routinely cranks out grammatical abominations.

Also, good job showing your lack of intelligence by stupidly assuming that I'm a Democrat. I'm not.

Guest Educator

When the only response they can come up with is a space before your question mark, you've won.

Guest *Autonomous*
When the only response they can come up with is a space before your question mark, you've won.

Oops, forgot to include 'Educator' in my post. Care to address that? No? What a shock.