Kearny Terrorist Targer

Guest concerned

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Alright, I'll stop with the childish posts. You are right, that was a silly one... But you have to realize that the only thing that the terrorists really want is media coverage. Though we are close to a big city, this town means nothing to them, because we're not very symbolic to the U.S. way of government/life like, the World Trade Center was. We have to realize it's more about t.v. and symbolism, than it is death and destruction. So, please, don't get freaked out about having some chemicals in your backyard, while you should be freaked about the chemicals in your processed food and the more harmful ones in the air already.

I'm going to have to disagree with you, pal. C'mon, the chemical plants around us have been pretty targets for years. If the terrorists were about death tolls the chem. plants would have been hit on 9/11. A building with a few thousand people or a chem. plant that could, apparently, kill hundreds of thousands? In terms of death, the second one would be the right choice, no?

9/11 Targets:

the world trade center

the pentagon

the white house *not hit*

Another thing to consider: Terrorists can care less who they kill, but are aiming for those who they see as evil-doers. The white house = George W. Bush... The pentagon = "hmm? aren't they the ones who are in charge of those boats in the persian gulf watching the coutry i used to live in?" world trade center = plenty of businessmen who are shining examples of the beauty that is capitalism, no?

It's not about 1,000,000 innocent people killed. It's about just enough "evil" people getting killed.

am i right or am i right or am i right? right?

Guest StudiesandObservations
It's not about 1,000,000 innocent people killed. It's about just enough "evil" people getting killed.

am i right or am i right or am i right? right?

You are right...To an extent, you are also wrong to an extent. One other aspect of Terrorism, besides the attendant death and destruction, is the "Terror" factor itself. There have been several theories that the next strike in the US may be in the so-called "Heartland" rather than in one of the larger population centers, onve again, not necesarily the number of deaths, but the realization that nowhere is safe. As far as the chemical plant in Kearny not being a Target, i definitly have to disagree. There was a large fire in South Kearny today, the smoke and odor of smoke from that fire was noticeable in downtown Manhattan, as well as all over Jersey City. Replace that smoke with Chlorine Gas, and you have a WHOLE lot of people affected over a VERY large area. Couple that with the rsidual effects, cleanup, and decontamination, and you see WHY Chemical plants make such good targets. Yes, the plants have been there for years and we've managed just fine, but, we've also never actually faced this type of threat in the CONUS before. The Chemical Industry has never been regulated as far as security, and emergencies, unlike the Nuclear Power Industry, which has had numerous regulations in effect for years concerning site security and emergency plans (except for Indian Point #3...but thats another issue), what the recent terrorism alerts have done is expose a pretty big loophole in our security, which can now be addressed.

As far as 9-11 goes in truth THAT started in 1993, when Al-Quaeda failed in its first attempt to bring down the WTC. 9-11 was striking at Symbols...Sympols of what they perceived to be America's Power (White House, Pentagon), and Wealth (WTC)

I'm sorry, while you argue your point well, you fail to cite actual events that have taken place concerning chem. plants. Concerning the south Kearny fire, I would need more "Studies and Observations". I may be wrong, but don't extremely ideal weather/air/wind conditions have to be in effect for an attack like this to work? And I'm sure (this can go both ways) smoke from a chlorine gas fire would differ from teh smoke from a regular fire, in terms of how well it spreads. Also, thanks to a certain word, this should have been left out: "Theories about heartland attacks to prove nobody is safe." You really ignored to many of my facts with your own little observations. You know what? You argued your point horribly.

smoke was noticeable in what way in downtow manhattan and jersey city?

Well we have a self appointed intellectual, huh. Let me tell you a little something not as a paranoid ignorant individual, as according to your last post everyone except studies and observations is. I was there first in 93 at the WTC not at the time of the bomb but after working to rebuild the 7 sub levels and then again on 9/11, this time i was there choking in toxic smoke running for my life while I watched countless Fire and Police personnel rush in towards their ultimate death.The next day I was on the pile as a volunteer with a bucket brigade digging mostly by hand through the twisted wreckage stopping everytime a horn blew hoping to find someone alive. I went to work down there one week later with my regular job rerouting fiber opic cables that once passed through the Towers that fed Lower Manhatten sometimes on the pile sometimes just outside. I remember the smell most of all I will never forget the smell, I remember the horn and everyone stopping forming a line as a flag draped bady part hand, foot, torso, whatever was driven from the pit to one of many temporary morgues. I remember two friends Charlie Lucania and Ralph Licciardi who both had been my apprentices along with seventeen other fellow workers who were lost that day. Are these along with over 3000 other human beings who just went to work symbols, or are they in your words just enough evil people. Maybe its me maybe I'm just paranoid.

Guest StudiesandObservations
i'm sorry about that ending. i guess it's just one opinion against another and i was angry that there was an actual intelligent person to talk to who took the side of the paranoid freaks. :unsure:

Well Sonny, you can call me all the names you want, but keep in mind, there are those of us out here who have been studying this subject for probably longer than you have been walking. There're a LOT of folks in Kearny who were either THERE on 9-11, or lost a friend or loved one, or both. There are folks on the FD and PD who went over there, many on their own time to assist. And there are those of us who go back even farther dealing with terrorists, and their acts. In my case, to be precise, 8 Aug 1985, Rhein Main AFB when the Red Army Faction (Or Action-Directe'..depending on which group's claim you believe) detonated a VW filled with explosives on the base, about 750 meters from where i was standing....That wasnt a Myth then either. Neither were the Murdered Airman, who's ID was used by the Terrs to gain acces to the base, or the 2 dead, and 17 wounded American Kids when the bomb went off. If in your parlance "Paranoid Freak" equates to understanding that the world isnt a safe place, and the US has now been dragged kicking and screaming into that reality, then i guess im proud to count myself paranoid.....

the world is a safe place, man. you're much more likely to die in a car accident, but nobody is talking abuot that on Kearny on the Web. Terrorism is scary, but not something to keep us awake at night.

No the world isn't safe, but I do agree that it won't keep me up at night.

Now someone will just come in arguing that your wrong and they'll just give stats and quotes to how many people are injured each year and whatnot. ;)

It should keep you up at night , as you grow older and realize you're not immortal and have a family that you love more than life Itself, You will lie awake at night and ponder just what the hell is going on in this world. I hate to say it but this is just the begining of terrorism in this country , and in particular this region with its close proximity to New York. As one poster stated its all just on TV until it happens to you or someone you love. When they came for the jews what did I have to worry about, now they come for You!!! The price of FREEDOM is eternal vigilance GOD BLESS AMERICA!!!

It should keep you up at night , as you grow older and realize you're not immortal and have a family that you love more than life Itself, You will lie awake at night and ponder just what the hell is going on in this world. I hate to say it but this is just the begining of terrorism in this country , and in particular this region with its close proximity to New York. As one poster stated its all just on TV until it happens to you or someone you love. When they came for the jews what did I have to worry about, now they come for You!!! The price of FREEDOM is eternal vigilance GOD BLESS AMERICA!!!

I lay awake at night, afraid that someday I'll end up like you.

StudiesandObservatons stated:

'i guess im proud to count myself paranoid.....'

Well, Studies it's about time you admitted it! ;)

hahaha....

also, i phrased my thought horribly before. i should have said the world isn't safe, but terrorism should be the least of your concerns. you should be much more worried about getting a car accident. and much, much more worried about losing your god damn job in htis economy.

word, that's just sad.

when you live your life in fear, you might as well just go ahead and kill yourself. it's one thing to show concern, but there's NOTHING you can do to prevent terrorism unless you're willing to join the armed forces. things don't always need to be looked into so deeply. appreciate life for what it is.

Heh.

It should keep you up at night , as you grow older and realize you're not immortal

I realize I'm not immortal and that the reason it doesn't keep me up at night. Why should it keep me up at night? Why would I sit there and think about it when there isn't anyhing I could do about it?

It's funny how people say "You won't live for ever." but at the same time they'll tell you to "Be on the look-out for just about everything." Just accept the fact that your life could possibly end any minute of the day. Like pube said, a bit harshly, don't live in fear. It's not really living at all.

Hey KearnyNJ, you better stay in school and learn how to spell, and pube nice name, "kill yourself" nice post grow up kid.

that's awfully nice of you.

the minute youth have an opinion on anything, you're quick to shut us down. THAT'S why my generation is turning into such a terrible thing. when your life becomes based on fear, the terrorists win. SHOW THEM that we're stronger than that. show them we're a country that won't be terrorized.

Archived