Jazz concert

Guest KHS

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Guest
Why? My original post had nothing to do with the musicianship.

This is the original post.

"More of a life than you fools pretending to be musicians."

I'm waiting to hear from this musician that was at the concert. So if you said that you did say something about the musicianship. So if it was you, or whoever it was let's go. Break down what was wrong. I'm waiting. Obviously you were at the concert and are a musician just like me. So let's hear it. Spare no detalis, break it down and be specific. I will translate it for non-musicians.

Guest Guest

I'm waiting to hear from this musician that was at the concert. So if you said that you did say something about the musicianship. So if it was you, or whoever it was let's go. Break down what was wrong. I'm waiting. Obviously you were at the concert and are a musician just like me. So let's hear it. Spare no detalis, break it down and be specific. I will translate it for non-musicians.

This is the original post:

Is this the "Mutual Pat Yourself On The Back Society"? Can I join?

Seems to me like the same poster answering his own posts.

You're the one that started with the get a life nonsense. I have a life. I work and take care of my family. I'm not playing music as a reason for hanging out with the boys, chasing woman, and generating posts about the phoney excitement that is supposedly surrounding these concerts.

As for reviewing the concert and the musicianship, you don't need me for that. If you were as fantastic as you claim, you'd be doing it for a living. Grow some balls, quit your day job and go for it.

And instead of your snobby offer of translating for non-musicians, maybe you should spend some time working on your grammar.

Guest Guest
As for reviewing the concert and the musicianship, you don't need me for that.  If you were as fantastic as you claim, you'd be doing it for a living.  Grow some balls, quit your day job and go for it.

So you can only be good at something if you do it for a living?

Like the man said: "Veddy interesting but..........................STUPID!"

Guest Guest
This is the original post:

Is this the "Mutual Pat Yourself On The Back Society"? Can I join?

Seems to me like the same poster answering his own posts.

You're the one that started with the get a life nonsense.  I have a life.  I work and take care of my family.  I'm not playing music as a reason for hanging out with the boys, chasing woman, and generating posts about the phoney excitement that is supposedly surrounding these concerts.

As for reviewing the concert and the musicianship, you don't need me for that.  If you were as fantastic as you claim, you'd be doing it for a living.  Grow some balls, quit your day job and go for it.

And instead of your snobby offer of translating for non-musicians, maybe you should spend some time working on your grammar.

Dude. My reference was to the person that made this statement, now read carefully. "More of a life than you fools pretending to be musicians."

If it wasn't you, why are you responding? Get out of the way.

Now to your response. If you were the one commenting on the concert and weren't there, how can you comment? What do you know about it and why are you commenting? Instead of commenting on posts that you are not involved in, work more and bring even more to your family!

You said, " I'm not playing music as a reason for hanging out with the boys, chasing woman, and generating posts about the phoney excitement that is supposedly surrounding these concerts."

You're not playing music because you can't or don't want to. These musicians are at this concert because of a love of the music. There are no women there to chase and there is excitement surrounding the concert. All audience members applauded after each song. I was there, were you?

You said, "As for reviewing the concert and the musicianship, you don't need me for that. If you were as fantastic as you claim, you'd be doing it for a living. Grow some balls, quit your day job and go for it."

Actually, I don't have a day job to quit. I make my living as a full time musician. I attended the concert because of one of the musicians performing. He is a teacher but a professional musician as well. I know most of the band and can tell you every musician in that band IS a professional musician full or part time. The part timers, only because they choose to do it that way, is because life as a musician is tough because of the amount of work that is available and if you have a family it is rough because a lot of work is at night and weekends. Many choose to work other jobs and pursue music part time. Some many have the "balls" as you so eloquently put it to be a musician part time so they can be with their wives and children more.

These musicians that were playing at this concert are all professional musicians, full or part time. They were not paid to be there and donated their time to Kearny and Kearny High School! Most of them have no connection to Kearny at all? Why do you think they did that? Do you have an answer for that? Do you think they were there picking up the moms of the Kearny High School jazz band members after the concert? Is that why you think some traveled for an hour to get there that evening? I know the answer to this question but first I want to hear your answer as to why these musicians donated their time to Kearny and Kearny High School?

Also, I want to ask again, were you at this concert, or any other Kearny Jazz Concert, and if you think it wasn't good, explain why! Be specific!

As far as my grammar is concerted, point that out, again, specifically because besides my musicianship, I always want to improve this area of my life. Looking forward to your answers. Sorry about the time it may take away from your work and family but I know you'll do it. By the way, phoney, as you wrote it, is spelled phony. Spelling is even easier to check than grammar on a computer.

Guest Guest
You can't get a jazz record deal unless you are very, very good because jazz doen't sell very well.

Now I get it, this is one of those record companies that is in the business of paying people to loose money for them.

Can you give the name of the musician and company?

Guest Guest
Dude. My reference was to the person that made this statement, now read carefully. "More of a life than you fools pretending to be musicians."

Now to your response. If you were the one commenting on the concert and weren't there, how can you comment? What do you know about it and why are you commenting? Instead of commenting on posts that you are not involved in, work more and bring even more to your family!

You said, " I'm not playing music as a reason for hanging out with the boys, chasing woman, and generating posts about the phoney excitement that is supposedly surrounding these concerts."

You're not playing music because you can't or don't want to. These musicians are at this concert because of a love of the music. There are no women there to chase and there is excitement surrounding the concert. All audience members applauded after each song. I was there, were you?

You said, "As for reviewing the concert and the musicianship, you don't need me for that.  If you were as fantastic as you claim, you'd be doing it for a living.  Grow some balls, quit your day job and go for it."

Actually, I don't have a day job to quit. I make my living as a full time musician. I attended the concert because of one of the musicians performing. He is a teacher but a professional musician as well. I know most of the band and can tell you every musician in that band IS a professional musician full or part time. The part timers, only because they choose to do it that way, is because life as a musician is tough because of the amount of work that is available and if you have a family it is rough because a lot of work is at night and weekends. Many choose to work other jobs and pursue music part time. Some many have the "balls" as you so eloquently put it to be a musician part time so they can be with their wives and children more.

These musicians that were playing at this concert are all professional musicians, full or part time. They were not paid to be there and donated their time to Kearny and Kearny High School!  Most of them have no connection to Kearny at all? Why do you think they did that? Do you have an answer for that? Do you think they were there picking up the moms of the Kearny High School jazz band members after the concert? Is that why you think some traveled for an hour to get there that evening? I know the answer to this question but first I want to hear your answer as to why these musicians donated their time to Kearny and Kearny High School?

Also, I want to ask again, were you at this concert, or any other Kearny Jazz Concert, and if you think it wasn't good, explain why! Be specific!

As far as my grammar is concerted, point that out, again, specifically because besides my musicianship, I always want to improve this area of my life. Looking forward to your answers. Sorry about the time it may take away from your work and family but I know you'll do it.  By the way, phoney, as you wrote it, is spelled phony. Spelling is even easier to check than grammar on a computer.

Your post is more boring and long winded than the concert. Believe me, I know full well the character and motivations of some of the boys listed in the previous posts.

I'll let you stick with your fantasy that anyone, outside of a few parents, even cared about the concert. Why don't you let me know where I can listen to some of your material.

And you should take your own advice and run a spell check.

Guest Guest

Like the man said: "Veddy interesting but..........................STUPID!"

No D**b a**, you can only do it for a living if you're good at it.

Guest Guest
And you can be DAMN GOOD at it and do it for pleasure as the concert proved so what's YOUR point DUMB A**?

Let me make it as simple as possible for you.

Below is the original post:

I said; To do something for a living, you have to be good at it.

That's more or less a fact.

Whether or not anyone playing at the concert is "DAMN GOOD" is your opinion.

But hey, I'm sure they'd rather be teaching than being famous musicians making loads of money.

The point is; shut up and play your instrument.

Get it now Jackass?

Guest Guest

But hey, I'm sure they'd rather be teaching than being famous musicians making loads of money.

Get it now Jackass?

Most musicians do not make loads of money. There are many kinds of musicians. Orchestral, studio, wedding, jazz, traveling, shows, Broadway, etc.

The big band you brought up had 18 musicians. 9 are teachers, 2 are doctors, 1 is a millionaire stay at home dad, 1 is a full time musician and the rest are in various private businesses. All are at least part time professional musicians, all could be full time professional musicians and choose not to for various reasons, and all share a love of big band jazz and will play it for free because of the music itself.

Guest Guest
Your post is more boring and long winded than the concert. Believe me, I know full well the character and motivations of some of the boys listed in the previous posts.

I'll let you stick with your fantasy that anyone, outside of a few parents, even cared about the concert.  Why don't you let me know where I can listen to some of your material.

And you should take your own advice and run a spell check.

and you read the entire post? LOL!

There were interested parents there of course, but they stayed after their children performed. There was also people there that had no children involved such as me. I came for the musicians I knew were playing and the material they were playing. You don't hear many big bands around attempting Gordon Goodwin charts.

To hear me you'll have to get married as I play full time in a wedding band.

I did run a spell check, before and after your post, perhaps you should get YOURS fixed! LOL!

Guest Guest

Yeah, I didn't think you had anything to say. You weren't at the concert were you?

Guest Guest

Still waiting to hear, specifically, about the motivation of the musicians involved. Also waiting on those grammar corrections. Any answers?

You said, "As for reviewing the concert and the musicianship, you don't need me for that.  If you were as fantastic as you claim, you'd be doing it for a living.  Grow some balls, quit your day job and go for it."

These musicians that were playing at this concert are all professional musicians, full or part time. They were not paid to be there and donated their time to Kearny and Kearny High School!  Most of them have no connection to Kearny at all? Why do you think they did that? Do you have an answer for that? Do you think they were there picking up the moms of the Kearny High School jazz band members after the concert? Is that why you think some traveled for an hour to get there that evening? I know the answer to this question but first I want to hear your answer as to why these musicians donated their time to Kearny and Kearny High School?

As far as my grammar is concerted, point that out, again, specifically because besides my musicianship, I always want to improve this area of my life. Looking forward to your answers. Sorry about the time it may take away from your work and family but I know you'll do it.  By the way, phoney, as you wrote it, is spelled phony. Spelling is even easier to check than grammar on a computer.

Guest Guest

Get it now Jackass?

Yes, I get the fact that you are an absolute BUTTPLUG!

Guest Guest
and you read the entire post? LOL!

There were interested parents there of course, but they stayed after their children performed. There was also people there that had no children involved such as me. I came for the musicians I knew were playing and the material they were playing. You don't hear many big bands around attempting Gordon Goodwin charts.

To hear me you'll have to get married as I play full time in a wedding band.

I did run a spell check, before and after your post, perhaps you should get YOURS fixed! LOL!

Oh, a wedding band, now I understand.

See if you can find the mistake below, specifically.

"As far as my grammar is concerted, point that out, again, specifically"

Guest Guest
Oh, a wedding band, now I understand.

See if you can find the mistake below, specifically.

"As far as my grammar is concerted, point that out, again, specifically"

Oh, now you're a critic of wedding bands. I haven't heard ANY real musical yet of the jazz concert so start with that and then you can go on to wedding bands. At $400-$800 a wedding (piano player) and 200 dates a year it's not a bad living. I could play lots of different things (classically trained) but this pays the bills better. As far as my grammar is concerned that wouldn't have been a grammar mistake but a spelling mistake and actually it was a typo. The t being next to the r was typed and for some reason the n was not. I AM a terrible typist. Spell check did not pick it up and I don't have grammar check. So, if it pleases you, I stand corrected. Now, to you or whoever criticized the jazz band, I am running out of patience waiting for your criticism on the band, music and motivations of the men and woman who played the concert for free.

Guest Guest
Oh, now you're a critic of wedding bands. I haven't heard ANY real musical yet of the jazz concert so start with that and then you can go on to wedding bands. At $400-$800 a wedding (piano player) and 200 dates a year it's not a bad living. I could play lots of different things (classically trained) but this pays the bills better. As far as my grammar is concerned that wouldn't have been a grammar mistake but a spelling mistake and actually it was a typo. The t being next to the r was typed and for some reason the n was not. I AM a terrible typist. Spell check did not pick it up and I don't have grammar check. So, if it pleases you, I stand corrected. Now, to you or whoever criticized the jazz band, I am running out of patience waiting for your criticism on the band, music and motivations of the men and woman who played the concert for free.

You'll be waiting a long time. As I've said before, my post had nothing to do with the musicianship. They're run of the mill musicians. There's millions of people out there who can play the same music forwards and backwards. My complaint is with the silly ass kissing they do every time they put on a play or concert.

As for the wedding band stuff, come on, do you really want to start that up. It's a good living but I've never known anyone that wouldn't trade being in a wedding band with doing their own music for a living.

Guest Guest
You'll be waiting a long time.  As I've said before, my post had nothing to do with the musicianship.  They're run of the mill musicians.  There's millions of people out there who can play the same music forwards and backwards.  My complaint is with the silly ass kissing they do every time they put on a play or concert.

As for the wedding band stuff, come on, do you really want to start that up.  It's a good living but I've never known anyone that wouldn't trade being in a wedding band with doing their own music for a living.

Then I wasn't referring to your post and I'll stop waiting for the person that did comment because they have nothing to say obviously.

The wedding band is a job, just a job that I can do that pays better that a lot of jobs. I'm sure plumbers and electricians don't do their jobs for any artistic reward or fun. I prefer playing the piano.

I have no interest in doing my own music. I have no music. I am not a composer, I am a musician. I enjoy playing classical music for fun and have no interest in composing. There is more out there than I'll ever need written by Bach, Beethoven and Mozart among many others.

So why do you go to all the plays and concerts?

Why were you at this concert?

Run of the mill musicians huh? You're expertise in this area would be………………?

Guest Guest
You'll be waiting a long time.  As I've said before, my post had nothing to do with the musicianship.  They're run of the mill musicians.  There's millions of people out there who can play the same music forwards and backwards.  My complaint is with the silly ass kissing they do every time they put on a play or concert.

As for the wedding band stuff, come on, do you really want to start that up.  It's a good living but I've never known anyone that wouldn't trade being in a wedding band with doing their own music for a living.

My God, what an embarrassing mess. As a resident of Kearny who has attended many of the concerts @ KHS where our local musicians have donated their time, money & musical talents and for those out-of-town musicians who have donated their time, money & musical talents please know that the concerts provide something that money can't buy, smiles, joy, memories of days gone by. Please pay no attention to whoever the jerk was who started with you. For example, the concert played this year to raise money for Project Graduation brought joy to a senior citizen who recently lost her husband, a friend of hers who lost her husband a few years ago and a relative of theirs, a young woman struggling with a battle against breast cancer. We made a whole night out it. Went to dinner and then to the concert. A simple night of enjoying friendship and the wonderful joy brought to our ears & hearts through your music. Thank you so much for making the time and donating the time to support Project Graduation which protects approx. 400 KHS graduates every year.

Guest Guest

You sound so musically ignorant. It was a jazz concert correct? Jazz musicians play their own music all the time when they improvise, a very difficult skill. If there were musicians soloing during the concert, they were improvising and playing their own music. Stick with what you know!

Also, being a musician, a good musician is about how well you play your instrument, not that you play your own music or it sells. There are loads of bad musicians making a living playing their own music.

Members of the NY Philharmonic are the best classical musicians in the world and they play other peoples music. Pavarotti sings other peoples music. Musicianship and selling a lot of records don't necessarily go hand in hand.

What DO you know about? Talk about that!

Archived