Another Month For Emtac

Guest InTheKnow

Guest wizzzard
Is it true that the Mayor gave EMTAC another $30,000.00 to cover the town for an extra month?

<_<

Amazing!!!!! Stuff anothr $30,000.00 into the pockets of St. Barnabus Healthcare Systems. Good work Santos and D'Arco. Two questions. Aren't there any ambulance services out there? Also, don't you two realize that you're putting money into the pockets of the very same people who closed WHH? Good job guys.

Keep up the good work.

Guest wizzzard
Is it true that the Mayor gave EMTAC another $30,000.00 to cover the town for an extra month?

<_<

Amazing!!!!! Stuff anothr $30,000.00 into the pockets of St. Barnabus Healthcare Systems. Good work Santos and D'Arco. Two questions. Aren't there any ambulance services out there? Also, don't you two realize that you're putting money into the pockets of the very same people who closed WHH? Good job guys.

Keep up the good work.

A bit of further info on the subject. The following is reprinted from the Jersey Journal.

"The Saint Barnabas Health Care System announced earlier this week that it will close acute care at the Kearny facility on Dec. 22 and close all inpatient services at midnight on Dec. 31. Those needing inpatient care will be directed to Clara Maass Medical Center in Belleville, another Saint Barnabas affiliate.

"It's been consistent with their entire approach," Kearny Mayor Al Santos said of Saint Barnabas' announcement. "It doesn't come as a surprise. (Saint Barnabas) has not acted with any sensitivity to the community's needs since they announced they were considering this action.

"The fact that they would do this so quickly and during the holiday season, the heartlessness of the action does not surprise me." "

Strong words Albie, so why are you and joey stuffing more money into the pockets of these "heartless people".

Guest King of Paramedics

The township would be much better off taking the money that they pay to EMTAC and putting it in to a Kearny EMS system... or funding the Fire Department to implement an EMS system. Taxpayers in Kearny have no idea how they are mismanaging ... what is it now... $90,000.00 over the last three months? Wow! Great job Mayor and Council. Not only does St. Barnabas shut down a hospital... but lets reward them while we are at it.

The township would be much better off taking the money that they pay to EMTAC and putting it in to a Kearny EMS system... or funding the Fire Department to implement an EMS system. Taxpayers in Kearny have no idea how they are mismanaging ... what is it now... $90,000.00 over the last three months? Wow! Great job Mayor and Council. Not only does St. Barnabas shut down a hospital... but lets reward them while we are at it.

The FD would have to hire 16 people to have 2 ambulances 24/7. Not very cost effective. $30,000.00 seems like a good deal compared to that.

Guest King of Paramedics

The Kearny FD would not have to hire 16 new full time employees. Harrison Fire Department took over the ambulance from the Harrison Police Department almost 10 years ago and did not hire any additional staff.

The Fire Department would probably not be interested in the service because of the additional work load, but when times are tough... consolidation of services are important. Harrison did it successfully. And pissing $30K/month to the agency that is closing your Hospital down is not the answer.

The Kearny FD would not have to hire 16 new full time employees. Harrison Fire Department took over the ambulance from the Harrison Police Department almost 10 years ago and did not hire any additional staff.

The Fire Department would probably not be interested in the service because of the additional work load, but when times are tough... consolidation of services are important. Harrison did it successfully. And pissing $30K/month to the agency that is closing your Hospital down is not the answer.

Harrison puts thier apparatus out of service for ems calls & relies on mutual aid for the fire calls. This is a risk having to rely on out of town help in a fire situation. People nowadays call the ambulance for "everything" I'm sure you know.(stomach ache, stubbed toe, etc.). To underman the FD"s primary mission to provide ems is rediculous.

Fact is that the Mayor will dose not want to give the Fire Department the Ambulance.

HE would rather spend $30,000.00 a month then have the FD make money.

And the FD can do it with the manpower as is. Anyone saying otherwise is a fireman.

Guest fire fighter

Sure we can do it TDOK, we can do alot of things but the true reality is that one of the four engines in town will be out of service to man ONE ambulance in town right this second. Gee I hope its not the engine that is suppose to come to my house!!!! So to reply to your statement NO WE CANT DO IT WITH THE MANPOWER WE HAVE NOW WITH OUT EFFECTING OUR ALREADY UNDERMANNED FIRE SUPPRESION SIDE.

Guest turk 182

firefighter thank you for saying that if the fire dept were to man 2 amb the the town requires it would mean pulling 4 firefighters off fire trucks to man ambulances thus making a precarious situation down right dangerous hense the need for additional firefighters

Guest SteveH_Guest
And the FD can do it with the manpower as is. Anyone saying otherwise is a fireman.

I'm not a firefighter, but to say that the FD can do it with manpower as is shows that you are not, either.

In Kearny, engine compaines often ride with an officer (Captain) and two firefighters. In the event of a fire, one firefighter must remain with the engine and operate the pump. The hose line must then be "stretched" to the fire by the Captain and remaining firefighter. This is both unsafe and very difficult. New York City, for example, has only recently reduced manpower on engine companies to an officer and three FFs from an officer and four FFs. Very simply, handling a hoseline isn'tas easy as it looks on TV.

A Truck (Ladder) company is responsible for many things at a fire. 1) Forcing entry to the building (if necessary); 2) Searching for victims in the building, most often above the fire, the most dangerous place to be, and rescuing those victims; 3) ventilating the building by cutting a hole in the roof, breaking windows, opening doors, or all three of these things. This allows the heat, smoke, and toxic gasses to leave the building so the engine crew can get close to the fire an put it out; 4) "laddering" the building to provide access to the roof and egress for firefighters and victims

Kearny's only truck company typically carries two firefighters. In New York, truck companies typically carry six: one officer and five firefighters. This extra manning is necessary to accomplish all the above tasks in a timely manner. And don't even think about saying "New York is a big city, and they have more fires, so they need more manpower." Fire is fire, houses are houses, and water is water. New York simply has more of them and, I will allow, high-rise buildings that we do not. But one fire company anywhere can only go to one fire at a time.

So, let's see: Kearny engines arrive at fires one to two men short; and the truck arrives three to four men short. Yet uninformed people make comments like that above. Harrison's fire fighting force is decimated when there are two simultaneous ambulance calls; they call for help from other FD's almost immediately in that instance.

So, genius...when there are two ambulance calls in Kearny- meaning at least four firefighters are unavailable for firefighting duty- and Harrison is also busy, what critical firefighting task listed above should be sacrifced when the house on fire is your's?

Guest my two cents

All you have to do is a time motion study on the fire dept. to determine if they can handle the new work. Remember they respond all ready to some medical calls, so you can eliminate these runs. take the total calls for the year , divide this by the actual time spent out at emergencies. also schedule all non emergecy activities during the slow times. Before you start yelling about you never know when you will get a call , that is all part of risk management ( no city could ever afford to have an absolute perfect plan; not even n.y.c. ala 9/11).

Guest Question for Mr Mangin

As fire committee chairman maybe you could tell me if the statements previosly posted are true! Is our fire department responding to calls with fewer men that may be needed or that is recommended? And if so why?

Fact is that the Mayor will dose not want to give the Fire Department the Ambulance.

HE would rather spend $30,000.00 a month then have the FD make money.

The FD can't do it with the already bare bones minimum manpower! If you think the FD can with or without hiring the 16 needed to perform this duty & the town can make $ on the billing, your fight is with Santos not the firemen!

As fire committee chairman maybe you could tell me if the statements previosly posted are true! Is our fire department responding to calls with fewer men that may be needed or that is recommended? And if so why?

I'm not coucilman Mangin but as a Kearny fireman & resident I can tell you that from May to December the Dept. is at minimum manpower. That being 17 men covering the town. The statements made about manning of certain apparatus is also true accordind to NFPA standards.

Guest King of Paramedics

Heres an idea... its easier said than done.

How bout merging the services of Kearny and Harrison and have a regional "WEST HUDSON FIRE/EMS DEPT"?

Both townships would be able to provide "decent" coverage and services, and the cost to the taxpayer would be reduced.

I also believe there is a money incetive for townships who combine services from the State Government... so in that scenario, everyone wins.

What do you think? Once again, with local politics, its easier said than done.

Heres an idea... its easier said than done.

How bout merging the services of Kearny and Harrison and have a regional "WEST HUDSON FIRE/EMS DEPT"?

Both townships would be able to provide "decent" coverage and services, and the cost to the taxpayer would be reduced.

I also believe there is a money incetive for townships who combine services from the State Government... so in that scenario, everyone wins.

What do you think? Once again, with local politics, its easier said than done.

What makes you think NJ will give a money incetive?

Guest King of Paramedics

The Governor has publically stated that he will offer "financial rewards" to municipalities who merge services. Example of these services include: School Districts, Public Safety Agencies, Public Works, etc.

By doing this, municipal taxes automatically decrease... and the State Government is trying to encourage this... thus the financial incentive. I do not know the dollar value... but I am sure it is significant enough for elected officials to look into.

Remember, NJ pays the highest property texes in the United States.

Guest ALL the Wise Men
The Governor has publically stated that he will offer "financial rewards" to municipalities who merge services. Example of these services include: School Districts, Public Safety Agencies, Public Works, etc.

By doing this, municipal taxes automatically decrease... and the State Government is trying to encourage this... thus the financial incentive. I do not know the dollar value... but I am sure it is significant enough for elected officials to look into.

Remember, NJ pays the highest property texes in the United States.

You Have to love all these wise men (or Women) Speaking out on this subject, Guess you should go spend some time in North Bergen or Weehauken or Union City , see if that combined department is working .. Yes it seems that the amount of firecalls are down around here but thats the same all over ... I have seen the FD working fine with EMTAC who also seems to be doing many times better then the previous ambulance ....I listen to my scanner and i know they are on calls a lot faster all ways available I have seen them dressed professional and acting totally professional all the time. So It must be a reall good thing for those who have needed the assistance of an ambulance to see EMTAC in stead of the last one.

Nice Job Mayor ...Go EMTAC

Guest King of Paramedics
You Have to love all these wise men (or Women) Speaking out on this subject, Guess you should go spend some time in North Bergen or Weehauken or Union City , see if that combined department is working .. Yes it seems that the amount of firecalls are down around here but thats the same all over ... I have seen the FD working fine with EMTAC who also seems to be doing many times better then the previous ambulance ....I listen to my scanner and i know they are on calls a lot faster all ways available I have seen them dressed professional and acting totally professional all the time. So It must be a reall good thing for those who have needed the assistance of an ambulance to see EMTAC in stead of the last one.

Nice Job Mayor ...Go EMTAC

I don't know whats going on in North Bergen, other than a tax break for the residents since they have a regional Fire Department. They should do the same with Law Enforcement and Public Works if you ask me.

Lets also take a look outside of this state to some more modern and proactive cities and states:

California & Florida are the two that I can easily remember-- most FDs in both states (especially California) are county-based. Works very well if you ask them.

As for EMTAC, I have no problems with them. They are professional and their response times are probably adequate. The issue here is the local government paying 30K for the service when they could easily save tax payer money by merging municipal services (i.e. FD/EMS together)... and better yet, merge Harrison and Kearny's FD/EMS. Think of the $$$ savings. Take it another step further... merge the two townships DPWs and the Police Departments!

Archived