Wishing Everyone A Happy holiday

speedy1

Thank you, to the King of all view forcers.

78731[/snapback]

Someone opened a very nice topic here, but certain people who are so insecure in their own beliefs that they cannot maintain them, apparently, unless they force everyone else to go along with them, just had to ruin it. You're no different than any two-bit tyrant or any whining playground bully, or any larger chick who ever pecked a smaller sibling out of the nest. I'd tell you off to your face, but you don't have the guts to post your name.

I understand your game, and I'm not playing. You think you're entitled to dominate others, to dictate to others how they will greet each other, how they will celebrate, what they will celebrate and when they will celebrate. You are not entitled. Instead, each of us is entitled to celebrate and greet others as we see fit.

I am not the one trying to force myself. You are. We have stood by the law and insisted that it be enforced, but you can hardly complain about that. So you do what you always do: you re-invent the facts, make things up and pretend you own the moral high ground. Well, you don't. Not only do you not own the moral high ground; you're not even being moral.

This is no different than what you tried to do a year ago when Matthew's story broke. We were supposed to state our case once, then quietly put our tails between our legs and withdraw into a corner when the dominant majority displayed its teeth. Well, it didn't happen that way, now did it.

What you don't understand, obviously, is that every time I get to have this discussion, I win. In a guerrilla war, the guerrilla fighter wins just by being in the battle. Those of us who think the dominant religion has holes in it a mile wide win just by having the discussion. Because sooner or later, eventually, some people are going to start thinking, and when that happens, the exclusive world view you are trying to push is dead.

You're not going to have it your way. The world is opening up, and you can't stop it. The best we can hope for is what the person who started this topic tried to do, and what Christianity expresses in its better, less dogmatic and less exclusive moments: that we all live together as brothers and sisters, directed by the light of Love that is common to us all. I am very sorry that this topic was taken so badly off course, but I will not be put into a corner. If you look at how it happened, you'll see very clearly who did it.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Appropriate for you, not everyone. That's what you "christians" fail to understand. You think every living soul has to be of the same mindset as you. Do you posses the capacity to accept reality?

78793[/snapback]

I hope all of the intelligent people here caught the irony of someone calling herself "Kearny Christian" is the one who brought discord and hatred into this thread.

I wonder if she takes the "mass" part of christmas as seriously as she does the christ part.

Someone opened a very nice topic here, but certain people who are so insecure in their own beliefs that they cannot maintain them, apparently, unless they force everyone else to go along with them, just had to ruin it. You're no different than any two-bit tyrant or any whining playground bully, or any larger chick who ever pecked a smaller sibling out of the nest. I'd tell you off to your face, but you don't have the guts to post your name.

I understand your game, and I'm not playing. You think you're entitled to dominate others, to dictate to others how they will greet each other, how they will celebrate, what they will celebrate and when they will celebrate. You are not entitled. Instead, each of us is entitled to celebrate and greet others as we see fit.

I am not the one trying to force myself. You are. We have stood by the law and insisted that it be enforced, but you can hardly complain about that. So you do what you always do: you re-invent the facts, make things up and pretend you own the moral high ground. Well, you don't. Not only do you not own the moral high ground; you're not even being moral.

This is no different than what you tried to do a year ago when Matthew's story broke. We were supposed to state our case once, then quietly put our tails between our legs and withdraw into a corner when the dominant majority displayed its teeth. Well, it didn't happen that way, now did it.

What you don't understand, obviously, is that every time I get to have this discussion, I win. In a guerrilla war, the guerrilla fighter wins just by being in the battle. Those of us who think the dominant religion has holes in it a mile wide win just by having the discussion. Because sooner or later, eventually, some people are going to start thinking, and when that happens, the exclusive world view you are trying to push is dead.

You're not going to have it your way. The world is opening up, and you can't stop it. The best we can hope for is what the person who started this topic tried to do, and what Christianity expresses in its better, less dogmatic and less exclusive moments: that we all live together as brothers and sisters, directed by the light of Love that is common to us all. I am very sorry that this topic was taken so badly off course, but I will not be put into a corner. If you look at how it happened, you'll see very clearly who did it.

78844[/snapback]

Judging by your need to respond, I think I win.

Judging by your need to respond, I think I win.

79028[/snapback]

Yes, you would think that, and yes, I will respond. We are in a culture war, and along with many others, I am fighting for the soul and the mind of our culture, and quite literally for the future of our civilization.

The culture warriors on the right are correct about that much, but they are wrong about everything else. This is not the culture war Pat Robertson thinks it is. The battle lines of good and evil are not drawn at the lines separating sexual orientation, gun ownership or belief in a supreme being. Instead, the battle lines in this war are drawn around values that are broadly shared, and which will shape a better world if followed. Those lines are stark, as illustrated by the Paszkiewicz case. Among the real battle lines are:

1. Knowledge versus ignorance. Example: Even assuming that there was a Noahā€™s ark, dinosaurs were not on it. The physical world and universe are not discernible through ancient texts or revelation, but are best discovered and understood through science.

2. Openness versus dogmatism. Example: there are no clear right answers to the questions posed by theism. In all likelihood, we probably are not even asking meaningful questions. For that reason, people must remain free to worship as they wish, including not at all. That is the important principle that ā€œhappy holidaysā€ recognizes.

3. Values versus pseudo-values. Human values have their roots in human needs and sustainable human desires. A mature, compassionate and responsible set of values must replace the contrived and misleading values derived from dogmatism, including but not limited to religious fanatacism.

There are other battle lines, but those are among the most important. The third one is illustrated by your brief response, ā€œGuest.ā€ In what sense does my ā€œneed to respondā€ validate you? It doesnā€™t. When our culture advances beyond the petty sniping that we see on page after page from the right wingers who post here, we (as a culture) will have won an important and I believe a pivotal battle with ourselves.

Yes, you would think that, and yes, I will respond. We are in a culture war, and along with many others, I am fighting for the soul and the mind of our culture, and quite literally for the future of our civilization.

The culture warriors on the right are correct about that much, but they are wrong about everything else. This is not the culture war Pat Robertson thinks it is. The battle lines of good and evil are not drawn at the lines separating sexual orientation, gun ownership or belief in a supreme being. Instead, the battle lines in this war are drawn around values that are broadly shared, and which will shape a better world if followed. Those lines are stark, as illustrated by the Paszkiewicz case. Among the real battle lines are:

1. Knowledge versus ignorance. Example: Even assuming that there was a Noahā€™s ark, dinosaurs were not on it. The physical world and universe are not discernible through ancient texts or revelation, but are best discovered and understood through science.

2. Openness versus dogmatism. Example: there are no clear right answers to the questions posed by theism. In all likelihood, we probably are not even asking meaningful questions. For that reason, people must remain free to worship as they wish, including not at all. That is the important principle that ā€œhappy holidaysā€ recognizes.

3. Values versus pseudo-values. Human values have their roots in human needs and sustainable human desires. A mature, compassionate and responsible set of values must replace the contrived and misleading values derived from dogmatism, including but not limited to religious fanatacism.

There are other battle lines, but those are among the most important. The third one is illustrated by your brief response, ā€œGuest.ā€ In what sense does my ā€œneed to respondā€ validate you? It doesnā€™t. When our culture advances beyond the petty sniping that we see on page after page from the right wingers who post here, we (as a culture) will have won an important and I believe a pivotal battle with ourselves.

79138[/snapback]

How sad.

:excl: This is just the kind of response I did not ask for. What happened to you people, that you can't just wish someone "Happy Holiday"? I bet you would find a problem wishing someoneĀ  to "Have a nice day". I said it that way, because I have friends in many faiths, and who don't have any religious beliefs, it doesn't make them a bad person. Like I said, "religion is a private matter". So to those of you that don't like Christmas, couldn't care less or whatever your problem is, "Have a nice day!". And to those of you who celebrate, again "Happy Holiday"

78496[/snapback]

Have a Nice Day! Oh, the pressure I am now under to live up to your expectations!!! Damn you!