Holiday Volunteers?

Guest Guest

Guest Guest_Curious in VA_*
Anyone know of any local organization(s) looking for holiday volunteers to serve/distribute meals etc.?  I unfortunately have more time than $ but would like to do something.

74101[/snapback]

You may want to check with ST John's Soup Kitchen in Newark (not far from the NJPAC). I know that back in the day they served some sort of Turkey day feast and they were always looking for extra hands- They did something similar at Christmas when they held a Christmas party for the local familes in need-

Anyone know of any local organization(s) looking for holiday volunteers to serve/distribute meals etc.?  I unfortunately have more time than $ but would like to do something.

74101[/snapback]

Contact town hall about Meals on Wheels.

74101[/snapback]

Your best bet is to try to contact one of the local churches. Most of them have some affiliation with a soup kitchen somewhere around here and they are always looking for some help. Yea , I said church on here. They do more good than Paul or Strife give credit too. Wonder if Pual is going to go after me for suggesting you do something good. Anyway Happy Thanksgiving and hoping you do find somewhere to help. There are plenty of places.

Guest Ron Delaney
Contact town hall about Meals on Wheels.

74234[/snapback]

If they don't have an answer try contacting Class Act Caterers in town. They are the one we used for many years and would know if meals are being distributed.

Your best bet is to try to contact one of the local churches.  Most of them have some affiliation with a soup kitchen somewhere around here and they are always looking for some help.  Yea , I said church on here.

Yes, we were all (hopefully) capable of reading it the first time.

They do more good than Paul or Strife give credit too.

Churches can do good, sure. But they can also do bad. On one hand, they give to charities or start them themselves (which, by the way, is a whole lot easier for them than most other organizations, considering they don't have to pay any taxes like the rest of us; I'd be able to give more to charity if I didn't have to pay taxes too). On the other, most of the churches belong to one of the Abrahamic religions, all of which are divisive at their very core (meaning they have tenets describing their religion's followers as being 'the saved' or 'the chosen' or some other title which puts them 'above' those who don't believe in some way); this divisiveness has been the root of countless needless conflicts throughout history. Comparing the lives saved to the lives lost, I don't even think 'the churches' have broken even yet, honestly.

Also, not all of these church-based charities are truly charitable--a few of them will refuse help to people who do not share their beliefs, or people who are homosexual, or something else like that. The Salvation Army is a good example--last I heard, they were still quite open about stating their refusal to help people in need if they happened to be gay. I don't consider any such charity a true charity--need is need, isn't it?

Wonder if Pual is going to go after me for suggesting you do something good.

Do you truly, honestly believe that? Serious question.

Anyway Happy Thanksgiving and hoping you do find somewhere to help. There are plenty of places.

74270[/snapback]

There sure are--just don't forget that secular charities exist too:

http://www.the-brights.net/action/brightso...t_charities.htm

Thanks to all for the suggestions. I have some family on Long Island that's involved in some sort of project that I believe I'll helpth but I'll find something else for Christmas.

Though I'm not a religious person I have no problem helping with a church activity provided they are open to helping all who are in need regardless of their faith or lack of.