A rainy night in Georgia

Guest 2smartr4u

Guest 2smartr4u

To all the atheists who scoffed at the Governor of Georgia for holding a prayer

session to pray for rain, guess what ?? There was an inch of rain over most of

Georgia overnight. Hmmm, maybe there is a God !!

73622[/snapback]

What a moron.

73622[/snapback]

So now lemme get this straight. Georgia didn't have enough rain. God didn't do anything about it until one night the governor got some people together to ask him to do something, and then he did.

Yeah, that makes sense.

73622[/snapback]

The following is a true story that started in October of this year. Army Spc. John Austin Johnson was fighting in Iraq for two years and survived five improvised explosive devise blasts and several grenade attacks. Eventually, he suffered brain damage from an IED blast. He went back for treatment at Brooke Army Medical Center in San Antonio, Texas. He was waiting for his wife and three children to visit him.

They got into a car accident. Two of his children, Logan who was 2 and Ashley who was 5, were killed. His wife survived and their other son, 9 year old Tyler was taken to a hospital. He was fighting for his life and many people supported the family and prayed. This family has a very strong religious faith.

On November 3rd Tyler died. This Iraq veteran and his wife lost all three children.

Now, you make a claim that there is a God because one inch of rain fell in Georgia after praying? I guess God was not watching the Johnson family.

73622[/snapback]

That's nothin'. I'm going to be king of the world, and to prove it I'm going to cause the Sun to be completely blocked from view over parts of the earth on Friday, 2008 August 01. The path of the Moon's umbral shadow will begin in Canada and extend across northern Greenland, the Arctic, central Russia, Mongolia, and China. A partial eclipse will be seen within the much broader path of the Moon's penumbral shadow, which includes northeastern North America, most of Europe and Asia.

If you wish to avoid utter devastation, weeping, wailing and the gnashing of teeth, send all your money and worldly goods to me before that date. Bwa-ha-ha-ha!

If you wait until the eclipses I'm going to cause in parts of the United States on August 21, 2017 and April 8, 2024, it will be too late!

. . . .

And now for the weather. Rain expected in Georgia.

. . . .

What a boob.

73622[/snapback]

Or maybe it's a total coincidence. Assuming God exists for the sake of argument, why would God allow such an area that's pretty much chock-full of devout worshippers to experience such a dangerous drought in the first place?

Not to mention that it was at most one inch of rain, not nearly enough to actually make any significant headway against the drought. So does this mean that God is toying with those people, then? Taunting them with a 'gift' that isn't even close to enough to solve the problem? Is that the kind of deity you believe in?

About an inch of rain fell through north Georgia, and Atlanta received about a half an inch. It wasn't enough to ease the ease the drought, forecasters said.

"It puts a little bit of extra water in some of the smaller tributaries and reservoirs, but it doesn't provide any significant long-term benefit," said Matt Sena, a meteorologist with the National Weather Service. "We need months of above average rainfall to start putting a dent in this," he added.

Also:

http://www.badastronomy.com/bablog/2007/11...prayer-all-wet/

and

http://www.badastronomy.com/bablog/2007/11...rayed-too-hard/

73622[/snapback]

Yeah, boy, rain in Georgia in November - what are the chances of that?

Reminds me of the epitaph the elderly hypochondriac had inscribed on his tombstone: "See! I told you I was sick."

73622[/snapback]

There are also weathermen that sometimes get their forecasts correct. Nice timing by the Gov.

73622[/snapback]

When he called for the prayer, Atlanta's 10 day forecast also called for rain. Timing is everything.

Guest Radagast

73622[/snapback]

or maybe it just rained ... who knows?

73622[/snapback]

That explains pretty much everything 2dim2Ballowed2crossthestreet writes.

It also illustrates yet again that nothing is too ridiculous for religious fundies to believe. They say it, it's true, end of discussion. That's as far as they get.

Most people probably think that's an exaggeration, but if you really think about it, it's not.

Guest a proud american
When he called for the prayer, Atlanta's 10 day forecast also called for rain. Timing is everything.

73707[/snapback]

Maybe this is what happens when you elect a Governor by the name of Sonny Purdue. Maybe god got the o mixed up with the u. Perhaps they can run stormy Mc Latchen for governor next time.

<edited out; added to previous post>

73794[/snapback]

If believing in God gives these people who are so desperate for rain the hope they need to make it through another day, then what is so very wrong with that? I am sure they don’t need Strife767 to crush their hopes because somewhere in Strife767's lifetime he stopped believing and caring in people.

If believing in God gives these people who are so desperate for rain the hope they need to make it through another day, then what is so very wrong with that?  I am sure they don’t need Strife767 to crush their hopes because somewhere in Strife767's lifetime he stopped believing and caring in people.

73989[/snapback]

What's wrong with it is that they make other decisions based on wishes, not on facts. When you allow yourself to think according to your wishes, not according to the facts, you do things that aren't good. It's also the kind of thinking that allowed people to justify slavery in the name of freedom. That's what's wrong with it.

If believing in God gives these people who are so desperate for rain the hope they need to make it through another day, then what is so very wrong with that?

Uh, how about the fact that prayer won't make the rain come any faster, and that time spent doing that is totally wasted?

Not to mention the total hypocrisy of these people--they pray for something, and if they don't get it, they say it's just God's will. Well, if it's God's will, and he's going to do what he wants anyway, why bother praying in the first place? I have yet to get a reasonable explanation for why anyone who believes in "God's will" or "God's plan" prays for anything to begin with. Think about it, and let me know if you've got the answer.

I am sure they don’t need Strife767 to crush their hopes

Hope is one thing, false hope is another.

because somewhere in Strife767's lifetime he stopped believing and caring in people.

73989[/snapback]

That old straw man again. Yawn.

I care about people--that is why I would rather they did something useful in dire times, something to help protect themselves. What was the better way to spend the time when Katrina's 'arrival' was imminent: pray for protection, or get your stuff together and do your best get the hell out of the way?

You've really got no idea. I have plenty of compassion for the people, but I have nothing but contempt for the mentality that causes people to engage in such futile activities, and actually expect them to create results. And if you're not capable of differentiating people from their beliefs, that is your problem, not mine.

If believing in God gives these people who are so desperate for rain the hope they need to make it through another day, then what is so very wrong with that?

Carl Sagan explained quite well "what is so very wrong with that," I'd say:

"It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring."

In other words, just because something is comforting does not mean it is inherently beneficial (and definitely doesn't mean it's true).

73622[/snapback]

WOW , I'm starting a prayer tonight hoping that Bush ates another pretzel.

The funniest thing about this topic is that 2 Smart couldn't spell his own name!

75088[/snapback]

:) its easy to blow off about real "BLESSINGS FROM GOD" but after going through some hard times when only asking god to help and seeing his hand work i will never see why any of you bothering to wake up in the morning!! why? you have nothing to live for do you? what is life? what is spirit? next time you get in trouble DO NOT SAY GOD HELP ME! do not wast his time when you turn your back on him!thank god I'm in the south where real true god loving folk are! :ninja:

:) its easy to blow off about real "BLESSINGS FROM GOD" but after going through some hard times when only asking god to help and seeing his hand work i will never see why any of you bothering to wake up in the morning!! why? you have nothing to live for do you? what is life? what is spirit? next time you get in trouble DO NOT SAY GOD HELP ME! do not wast his time when you turn your back on him!thank god I'm in the south where real true god loving folk are! :ninja:

75151[/snapback]

To answer your questions:

People were waking up in the morning long before anyone conceived of a god or gods.

We have plenty to live for. Whatever inspires us or drives us.

Life is what we all experience.

Spirit is the sense we have of being connected to others or to the world/universe. The spiritual life is vital and keenly alive, in which we are made whole by an appreciation that we are part of one great reality.

It is not necessary to claim an answer to what that reality is like. In fact, your palpable anger illustrates how misguided those claims are.

:) its easy to blow off about real "BLESSINGS FROM GOD"

I wouldn't call one inch of rain after months of drought a "blessing," but one's interpretation will vary according to his/her level of brainwashing, especially considering that the same storm's winds blew a roof off a church, injuring three children. So not only would there not be any justification to give some god or another credit for the event if it was 100% Good (since I know how people like you will give "God" credit for all the good stuff, but blame him for none of the bad stuff--that mentality is the result of textbook cult tactics, by the way), but this even was far from being the 'godsend' you're acting like it was.

but after going through some hard times when only asking god to help and seeing his hand work

a.k.a. Attributing mundane events to supernatural agents.

i will never see why any of you bothering to wake up in the morning!!

That's because you're so indoctrinated that you literally (by your own admission) can't imagine what life is like without theistic faith. You think that reflects badly on those who don't believe (or even those who believe but in a more deistic way), but your inability to understand how one can live life and enjoy life to its fullest is a negative reflection on you, my friend.

why? you have nothing to live for do you? what is life?

Life is that brief, precious moment after birth and before death. Its brevity only makes it more worth cherishing and living to the fullest.

what is spirit?

Usually, it is used as a synonym for "self," describing the collective of all of one's attributes.

In a theistic sense, it (and the other word for it, "soul") is an imaginary construct invented to facilitate the idea that one's consciousness can survive death.

next time you get in trouble DO NOT SAY GOD HELP ME!

Of course, I wouldn't waste my time with something like that.

do not wast his time when you turn your back on him!thank god I'm in the south where real true god loving folk are! :ninja:

75151[/snapback]

If only you realized that it is your own imagination you worship.

75151[/snapback]

You know, if I were God I'd be pissed that people like you make Me seem like such a jerk. Do you really think that your comment does anything but drive people further away from your view? When I'm in trouble I don't "say God help me." I stop, reflect on why I'm in trouble, and get myself out of it. It is called taking responsibility for my actions. You should try it sometime.

:ninja: its easy to blow off about real "BLESSINGS FROM GOD" but after going through some hard times when only asking god to help and seeing his hand work i will never see why any of you bothering to wake up in the morning!! why? you have nothing to live for do you? what is life? what is spirit? next time you get in trouble DO NOT SAY GOD HELP ME! do not wast his time when you turn your back on him!thank god I'm in the south where real true god loving folk are! :ninja:

75151[/snapback]

Mr. Hirsch, just because you can't see any other meaning in life doesn't mean that no one else can. And just because you had a personal experience doesn't mean you're interpreting it accurately.