Civilianization of HPD

Guest Bright

Whoever started the civilianization of the HPD was brilliant. First we got civilian dispatchers instead of Lieutenants manning the desk which saved about 200K and was financed by a Federal Grant. Now, we have replaced Traffic Officers who wrote tickets with Civilian Parking Enforcement Officers. Another great move. The PD is saving hundreds of thousands and still getting the same production. I call that and effective and efficient use of resources. B)

And the great part of it the PBA didn't utter a whimper. Not with the leadership being placed in the Detective Bureau to keep them quiet.

Whoever started the civilianization of the HPD was brilliant. First we got civilian dispatchers instead of Lieutenants manning the desk which saved about 200K and was financed by a Federal Grant. Now, we have replaced Traffic Officers who wrote tickets with Civilian Parking Enforcement Officers. Another great move. The PD is saving hundreds of thousands and still getting the same production. I call that and effective and efficient use of resources. :P 

And the great part of it the PBA didn't utter a whimper. Not with the leadership being placed in the Detective Bureau to keep them quiet.

Vey well said!!!! , but the thanks really goes to D.K, even though no one will say it

Whoever started the civilianization of the HPD was brilliant. First we got civilian dispatchers instead of Lieutenants manning the desk which saved about 200K and was financed by a Federal Grant. Now, we have replaced Traffic Officers who wrote tickets with Civilian Parking Enforcement Officers. Another great move. The PD is saving hundreds of thousands and still getting the same production. I call that and effective and efficient use of resources. :D 

Wow, the PBA also allowed Class 1 Officers to be hired part time at $15.00 per hour to do traffic control at construction sites. Do they realize, that the rank and file will lose money on off duty jobs. The PBA President even said he's committed to support the Mayor and Chief in their endeavor to provide services. I guess it helps to say that when your in the DB and on the Sgt's list. :P

Wow, the PBA also allowed Class 1 Officers to be hired part time at $15.00 per hour to do traffic control at construction sites. Do they realize, that the rank and file will lose money on off duty jobs. The PBA President even said he's committed to support the Mayor and Chief in their endeavor to provide services. I guess it helps to say that when your in the DB and on the Sgt's list. :o

well that's what happens when your a sell out! the cost of real officers which is what is needed in this town, would not cost the town 3k, that is souped up for the press, besides if they want to keep the fixed schedules and unlimited sick they must all play along................ring around the rosey and pocket full of puppets for the mayor! :o one mess up and they fall down! :P:P:P

Wow, the PBA also allowed Class 1 Officers to be hired part time at $15.00 per hour to do traffic control at construction sites. Do they realize, that the rank and file will lose money on off duty jobs. The PBA President even said he's committed to support the Mayor and Chief in their endeavor to provide services. I guess it helps to say that when your in the DB and on the Sgt's list. :o

well why not go all the way with a certified by the state adminstrator do away with all ranking ties in the dept.

Whoever started the civilianization of the HPD was brilliant. First we got civilian dispatchers instead of Lieutenants manning the desk which saved about 200K and was financed by a Federal Grant. Now, we have replaced Traffic Officers who wrote tickets with Civilian Parking Enforcement Officers. Another great move. The PD is saving hundreds of thousands and still getting the same production. I call that and effective and efficient use of resources. :o 

The town was given a grant for civilian dispatchers for a period of 3 years ONLY. The 3 years has passed and they are still employed at the taxpayers expense. Not only are they still employed, they are now considered full time employees and have benefits, so where is the savings?

I do not begrudge anyone a job, but don't make it sould like the Town is saving money when in fact it is costing them more.

the civilian dispatchers that was danny's brain child along with vinny not dk(vinny jr) :o

DK was a Lt. when the civilian dispatchers were hired. The parking enforcement officers were recommended by the state and the Class 2 Officers were researched and an ordinance enacted in 1999.

The Mayor should be credited with following through with these cost saving measures. You get the same production at a much lower cost. DK is only following the Mayor's orders. I don't think the PBA in Kearny would allow whats happening. They have Lts. and Patrolman on the desk. The PBA President was put in the DB on orders of the Mayor. The rank and file lose on that one. Wait till they see $15. per hour " specials" working their extra duty jobs. Then maybe the PBA will file a grievance. :o:P

Here are the duties of a Class1 officer as defined by the state of NJ training manual

I. Powers, duties and responsibilities of Class One Special Law Enforcement Officers.

A. Special Law Enforcement Officer, Definition.

1. Any person appointed pursuant to the Act to temporarily or intermittently perform

duties similar to those performed regularly by members of a police force of a local

unit.

2. Members of a police force of a local unit, or to provide assistance to a police force

during unusual or emergency circumstances, or at individual times or during

regular seasonal periods in resort municipalities.

3. The Special Law Enforcement Officers Act provides for two classes of officers

based on the duties they perform. The classifications are set forth in the Act as

follows.

B. Class One Officers.

1. Emphasize cannot carry firearms.

2. Authorized duties.

a. Routine traffic detail.

b. Spectator crowd control.

c. Similar control duties.

3. If authorized by local ordinance issue summons for:

a. Disorderly and petty disorderly persons offenses.

b. Traffic violations (Title 39).

c. Municipal ordinances.

Sounds more like a useless decision by the town to buy more votes. Lets look at this step by step.

1. no guns, a lawsuit waiting to happen when one of them gets lumped up.

2. Traffic detail , morning rush hour and evening rush hour. Right now its done with one cop.

3.Spectator crowd control. Other than the Sorpranos casting call when was there a need.

4.Disorderly persons offense. Please they will always call for a cop when they go to write a summons. Why? they have no gun and no training to deal with a drunk looking to fight what he thinks is a cop.

5. Traffic violations, meter maids do the meters and the specials would need a car to make traffic stops unless they stop cars while standing in the street.

6. Municipal ordinances, The health department takes care of some of those. Building inspectors cover some more. The rest really dont require a special officer to write the summons.

So as I see the need for the special officers is a waste of time and a liabilty. Wanna be cops running around trying t o save the world one ticket at a time.

The town was given a grant for civilian dispatchers for a period of 3 years ONLY.  The 3 years has passed and they are still employed at the taxpayers expense.  Not only are they still employed, they are now considered full time employees and have benefits, so where is the savings?

I do not begrudge anyone a job, but don't make it sould like the Town is saving money when in fact it is costing them more.

Do you realize that the HPD had 63 Officers when the civilian dispatchers were hired. Now they have 50 Officers with the other 13 postions filled by civilians at half the cost.Do your math, and you will find the Town is saving a lot of money. And, their hiring locals for the jobs. A lot better then out of town cops who don't care a hoot about Harrison.

The town was given a grant for civilian dispatchers for a period of 3 years ONLY.  The 3 years has passed and they are still employed at the taxpayers expense.  Not only are they still employed, they are now considered full time employees and have benefits, so where is the savings?

first off the two yr grant was for six people before the third yr was up two people were terminated. third yr was carried by town as the agreement. that was your turn to step up and get rid of the four remaining BUT...a councilman's job less family member NEEDED A JOB...........the flood gates were opened ...........NOW it's a VOTER SEAT FOR EACH WARD! take off your shoes and do the math!

maybe all the  hpd should be those class 1 officers and get rid of  the good for nothing cops and maybe my taxes will go down

yeah let's get the town weatherman on the radio along with his school mates and their scanners,yu :lol: p we have a real dept now! d/c moose is on the prowl!

where's under dog?????oh yeah he's already a dispatcher! :P:D:P

Since someone has to do the dispatch work, would the 'salaries' be the 'same' for police officers to do the job as for the civilians?

If the salaries would be the 'same' for 'both' groups, than it would be better to have the police do the job.

If the salaries would be 'cheaper' for the civilians to do the 'deskwork dispatch work, than have the civilians do the job. And 'make sure' the 'savings' shows in lower taxes!

Since someone has to do the dispatch work, would the 'salaries' be the 'same'  for police officers  to do the job as for the civilians?

If the salaries would be the 'same' for 'both' groups, than it would be better to have the police do the job.

If  the salaries would be 'cheaper' for the civilians to do the 'deskwork dispatch work,  than have the civilians do  the job.  And 'make sure' the 'savings' shows in lower taxes!

the grant was for two terms then one yr the town would carry over.it was always with full benefits at 25k. prior to the third yr a councilman's family member was "jobless" and well...let's just say that opened up the flood gates to where, now it's a political opening for all wards! is it cheap then cops?it is if kept at the same salary! has that happened? nope! but at least know there still is a great deal of work being done, unlike in the past. facts are there.

the grant was for two terms then one yr the town would carry over.it was always with full benefits at 25k. prior to the third yr a councilman's family member was "jobless" and well...let's just say that opened up the flood gates to where, now it's a political opening for all wards! is it cheap then cops?it is if kept  at the same salary! has that happened? nope! but at least know there still is a great deal of work being done, unlike in the past. facts are there.

Prior to civilian dispatchers, Police Lieutenant's manned the deskat 80,000 with benefits. Now civilians at $25,000 to start with raises that go up 3 to 4% per year. You do the math. Its a saving of 6 times 50,000 or $300,000.

Yeah that's what we need local LOSERS who are untrained putting my life on the line...I guess u vote you get a job!!!! Can't wait till it hits the fan and I sue everyone...Get a real job damm losers

first off the two yr grant was for six people before the third yr was up two people were terminated. third yr was carried by town as the agreement. that was your turn to step up and get rid of the four remaining BUT...a councilman's  job less family member NEEDED A JOB...........the flood gates were opened ...........NOW it's a VOTER SEAT FOR EACH WARD! take off your shoes and do the math!

Yeah let's say a councilman's family member. More than one family member from his family. His son is at PVSC, daughter works for the town. Amazing is it not. Tell me he is not a puppet.

the grant was for two terms then one yr the town would carry over.it was always with full benefits at 25k. prior to the third yr a councilman's family member was "jobless" and well...let's just say that opened up the flood gates to where, now it's a political opening for all wards! is it cheap then cops?it is if kept  at the same salary! has that happened? nope! but at least know there still is a great deal of work being done, unlike in the past. facts are there.

Please explain 'how' the salary is not being kept at the entrance wage of $25,000 for years 1-3, with the 3-4% yearly increases? How many police were previously used to carry out the job and 'now' 'how many' civilians have been hired to replace them; and don't they all make the same salary, based on the union contract and the amount of years worked?

Yeah that's what we need local LOSERS who are untrained putting my life on the line...I guess u vote you get a job!!!!  Can't wait till it hits the fan and I sue everyone...Get a real job damm losers

SOUNDS ....LIKE YOUR LOOKING AT YOUR REFLECTION! STUPID IS AS STUPID WRITES!!!!!!!!!!! :lol::D:D:D:D:D

Please explain 'how' the salary is not being kept at the entrance wage of $25,000 for years 1-3, with the 3-4%  yearly  increases?    How many police were previously used to carry out the job and 'now' 'how many' civilians have been hired to replace them; and don't they all make the same salary, based on the union contract and the amount of years worked?

RECENT EVENTS HAVE THROWN CURVES IN NEW CREATED POSITIONS. INCRESES HAVE BEEN SECRETLY "WORKED OUT" THERE ARE TEN CIVILIANS TO TEND TOO FIRE,POLICE, EMS. REPLACING PERSONNEL FROM THOSE DEPTS

WHAT CONTRACT? NON EXIST :lol:

RECENT EVENTS HAVE THROWN CURVES IN NEW CREATED POSITIONS. INCRESES HAVE BEEN SECRETLY "WORKED OUT" THERE ARE TEN CIVILIANS TO TEND TOO FIRE,POLICE, EMS.  REPLACING PERSONNEL FROM THOSE DEPTS

WHAT CONTRACT? NON EXIST :lol:

hey i'm all for the specials, fine with me as long as the town has an umbrella insurance policy to cover their asses from the beat downs they are sure to get from the pre-schools during fire drills. :D:D:D

Archived