Love freedom? Thank a vet

Autonomous

Guest a proud american
I'm embarassed to admit that having missed any notice in the paper of a ceremony I wasn't enough on the ball to think of 11AM on the 11th.  But as tired as I am of those who were apparently never taught what a trash can is, that little park is one place where I'll still take a few minutes to pick up after others.

One question maybe someone hear can answer, it seems those lost due to the effects of Agent Orange are not noted as Vietnam deaths, I believe they should be, anyone know what the 'official' policy may be?  Are they on 'The Wall'?

74076[/snapback]

If I understand the qualifications, the name gets added if the person died as a result of being wounded in combat even if they die years later.

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Paul, look around. It is you who have constantly put down the town you live in, the school your children attend and who have attended in the past and also the people who once thought of you as friends. Your childish comments add nothing here except for your long winded posts that add no value to anything.  I ask you flat out, "what did you do for the Veteran's this past Veteran's day?"  Now lets look at the deer in the headlight look because the answer is nothing.

And I would like every Veteran who reads this from your post and these are your words exactly "However, your service would be more meaningful if you stopped taking every opportunity to remind us of it."  Everyone and i mean everyone should thank a Veteran every day because without them you wouldn't have your cushiony home and life you live today.  I am going to remind everyone of Veteran's day every chance I get.

74272[/snapback]

In other words, you can't deny the message, so you attack the messenger.

Paul, look around. It is you who have constantly put down the town you live in, the school your children attend and who have attended in the past and also the people who once thought of you as friends.

Lie.

Your childish comments add nothing here except for your long winded posts that add no value to anything.

If you think Paul's posts are childish, what do you call this, for example?

I ask you flat out, "what did you do for the Veteran's this past Veteran's day?"  Now lets look at the deer in the headlight look because the answer is nothing.

How would you know? Are you stalking him?

And I would like every Veteran who reads this from your post and these are your words exactly "However, your service would be more meaningful if you stopped taking every opportunity to remind us of it."  Everyone and i mean everyone should thank a Veteran every day

You say this as if no one else contributes anything. What about, for example, the scientists who invented the medicines and vaccines that made it so that it's no longer true that most children don't live beyond infancy? You could have been one of those, you know. And that's just one example--there are a lot of people who deserve recognition and gratitude for their contributions, not just vets.

Paul, look around. It is you who have constantly put down the town you live in, the school your children attend and who have attended in the past and also the people who once thought of you as friends. Your childish comments add nothing here except for your long winded posts that add no value to anything.  I ask you flat out, "what did you do for the Veteran's this past Veteran's day?"  Now lets look at the deer in the headlight look because the answer is nothing.

And I would like every Veteran who reads this from your post and these are your words exactly "However, your service would be more meaningful if you stopped taking every opportunity to remind us of it."  Everyone and i mean everyone should thank a Veteran every day because without them you wouldn't have your cushiony home and life you live today.  I am going to remind everyone of Veteran's day every chance I get.

74272[/snapback]

There are plenty of people who think the LaClairs did Kearny a lot of good. I like to think they're right.

Truth is, we need every person who makes a contribution:

Without our doctors, we wouldn’t live as long or be as healthy.

Without our lawyers and judges, we’d have no order.

Without our scientists, life for 6.5 billion people and 300 million Americans wouldn’t be possible.

Without our statesmen (where did they go?), the world would be at war constantly.

Without our teachers, the young would be ignorant and society would be stagnant.

Without our police officers, we wouldn’t be safe in our homes or on the streets.

Without our laborers, we’d have none of the goods that make the cushy life possible.

Without our service workers, we’d have no way to make this life happen the way it happens.

Without our farmers, we couldn’t survive in a fashion anywhere close to this.

Without our garbage collectors, we’d all be taking trips to the nearest landfill.

Without our artists and our great athletes, our lives would lose much of their color and meaning.

Without mothers and fathers raising their children . . . I don't even want to think about it.

We should honor them all. The list goes on and on. Why is this so hard for some people, apparently, to admit?

You’re not angry with me for any of the reasons you claim. You’re angry because what I’m saying invades your comfort zone. I've committed the unforgivable sin of speaking the truth. Apparently it hits a few raw nerves.

I swear, it's like watching kittens in a litter fight with each other. You know before they're even born they're going to do it. It's all genetic. Wolves travel in packs. Cats travel alone. Rabbits hop. Birds fly. Humans are social creatures who have sophisticated social structures. We needed conformity in our evolutionary past, but that's not necessarily best for us now. Conservatives are among the first to tell us how different we are from dumb animals, but so often, instead of using the intelligence that distinguishes us from cats and dogs, we act just like them. When are we going to get it through our heads that taking an unpopular position is not cause for revulsion, but an invitation to think? And what does it take for people to see themselves? (And you want to talk about me!)

On Veterans’ Day I went to work. I also helped my brother-in-law with a problem he and my sister are having. He’s a veteran. He told me he loved me. Twice.

It's kind of a middle-ground...while no active action is being taken (so I'd say "technically not really patriotic"), it definitely isn't ultimately pointless the way reciting a bunch of words by rote is. Veterans are actual people, who made actual sacrifices, and showing gratitude for that is a Good Thing™, I think. :)

73928[/snapback]

Thanking a vet is an active action. They appreciate it quite a bit and they certainly don't hear it often enough. Now I agree that it requires little in the way of sacrifice-merely a moment of your time. Unfortunately, that is more than many are willing to give.

As far as the pledge goes, recitation without reflection is meaningless. But with reflection the pledge becomes meaningful to many.

Finally-to those who decided to derail the thread in order to take cheap shots at Paul and Strife-shame on you.

For the rest, stop responding to the trolls and they'll go away.

There are plenty of people who think the LaClairs did Kearny a lot of good. I like to think they're right.

Without our scientists, life for 6.5 billion people and 300 million Americans wouldn’t be possible.

Without our statesmen (where did they go?), the world would be at war constantly.

Without our teachers, the young would be ignorant and society would be stagnant.

Without our police officers, we wouldn’t be safe in our homes or on the streets.

Without our laborers, we’d have none of the goods that make the cushy life possible.

Without our service workers, we’d have no way to make this life happen the way it happens.

Without our garbage collectors, we’d all be taking trips to the nearest landfill.

Without our artists and our great athletes, our lives would lose much of their color and meaning.

Without mothers and fathers raising their children . . . I don't even want to think about it.

We should honor them all. The list goes on and on.  Why is this so hard for some people, apparently, to admit?

You’re not angry with me for any of the reasons you claim. You’re angry because what I’m saying invades your comfort zone. I've committed the unforgivable sin of speaking the truth. Apparently it hits a few raw nerves.

I swear, it's like watching kittens in a litter fight with each other. You know before they're even born they're going to do it. It's all genetic. Wolves travel in packs. Cats travel alone. Rabbits hop. Birds fly. Humans are social creatures who have sophisticated social structures. We needed conformity in our evolutionary past, but that's not necessarily best for us now. Conservatives are among the first to tell us how different we are from dumb animals, but so often, instead of using the intelligence that distinguishes us from cats and dogs, we act just like them. When are we going to get it through our heads that taking an unpopular position is not cause for revulsion, but an invitation to think? And what does it take for people to see themselves? (And you want to talk about me!)

On Veterans’ Day I went to work. I also helped my brother-in-law with a problem he and my sister are having. He’s a veteran. He told me he loved me. Twice.

74423[/snapback]

It must be good to believe that you are the only speaker of truth.

Guest 2smart4u

We should honor them all. The list goes on and on.  Why is this so hard for some people, apparently, to admit?

74423[/snapback]

I'd like to add one more to your list. Without conservative Republican Patriots

to defend us, the yellow-bellied radical left would have lost the USA a long time

ago. The Loony Left Kool-aid drinkers would have said Pearl Harbor was our

fault , Hitler was none of our business and the Boston Tea Party would have

never happened. Is it any wonder they think 9/11 was an "inside job" ?

If I understand the qualifications, the name gets added if the person died as a result of being wounded in combat even if they die years later.

74388[/snapback]

I believe that's the problem, Agent Orange caused deaths don't seem to be treated as wounded or combat related. I will have to double-check but I believe at least one of Kearny's own who was a victim of Agent Orange is not on the local memorial, I just think it's something het should be corrected. These men were KIA like many others.

I'd like to add one more to your list.  Without conservative Republican Patriots 

to defend us, the yellow-bellied radical left would have lost the USA a long time

74489[/snapback]

Before WWW 2, it was the Republican right wing which fought Roosevelt every step when he tried to arm and mobilize our country. They were also the ones who said Hitler wasn't so bad since he was going to stop communism. After Pearl Harbor, it was the liberal democratic administration of President Roosevelt which pursued and won WW 2. Or has that history been rewritten for you?

The book "15 stars", cover this thoroughly. Try reading real history, instead of swallowing neocon bs.

This Iraq war is taking longer than the time used by Roosevelt to defeat the industrial and military might of the Axis powers.

Guest 2smart4u
Before WWW 2, it was the Republican right wing which fought Roosevelt every step when he tried to arm and mobilize our country. They were also the ones who said Hitler wasn't so bad since he was going to stop communism. After Pearl Harbor, it was the liberal democratic administration of President Roosevelt which pursued and won WW 2. Or has that history been rewritten for you?

The book "15 stars", cover this thoroughly. Try reading real history, instead of swallowing neocon bs.

This Iraq war is taking longer than the time used by Roosevelt to defeat the industrial and military might of the Axis powers.

74528[/snapback]

That's a crock. Before WW2 most of the country was against our involvement

in Europe. Pearl Harbor changed all that. That Roosevelt was a democrat is

irrelevant, Pearl Harbor forced us to fight.

Here's a news flash for you; the war on terrorism we're fighting now is a

worldwide war and we will be fighting it for years and maybe decades. If I can

correct any of your other misconceptions, don't hesitate to ask.

I'd like to add one more to your list.  Without conservative Republican Patriots 

74489[/snapback]

You mean like conservative Republicans valiantly defending the skies of Alabama?

And in case you missed the bulletin nitwit it was a Democrat in the White House as CinC that won WWII.

Better lay off the Fool-Aid, you're already fool enough.

Here's a news flash for you; the war on terrorism we're fighting now is a

worldwide war and we will be fighting it for years and maybe decades. If I can

correct any of your other misconceptions, don't hesitate to ask.

74577[/snapback]

We on the left know better than you on the right about the real war on terror. There are several things we have to do to win it. The numbering is in no particular order. We must do all these things simultaneously.

1. Free ourselves from oil dependence. That means developing and switching to other sources of energy.

2. Regain the world's trust and support, and work with other nations to root out and destroy terrorist operations. That means coordinating intelligence operations and military power internationally. That's not being done. The U.S. military is pre-occupied in Iraq, and the rest of the world's military isn't supporting us in any signifcant way.

3. Stop wasting nearly all our military resources on nation-building, in one nation! Why did that make perfect sense to you idiots when Bush was running for election, and no sense now that he's on the most quixotic nation-building misadventure in our history?

4. Stop spending ourselves deeper and deeper into debt in a unilateral quasi-military adventure whose military objective ended with the infamous "mission accomplished." In a perverse sense, Bush was right. The military objective had been achieved. But the jackass went in with no exit strategy, the very thing he claimed should never be done. And you idiots on the right couldn't care less because he's your boy and can do no wrong. You're ditto-headed idiots. I don't know what you think you're accomplishing ignoring the most basic of facts like that. The generals who have come out of service and blasted this policy --- this is unprecedented, and it leaves no doubt that this "war" is a disaster.

By the way, it's not a crock. Many on the right (and some you would think were not so far right) thought Hitler wasn't such a bad guy at all.

Roosevelt knew to go after the country that actually attacked us. That's more than can be said for Bush, and that's a fact.

Guest a proud american
I believe that's the problem, Agent Orange caused deaths don't seem to be treated as wounded or combat related.  I will have to double-check but I believe at least one of Kearny's own who was a victim of Agent Orange is not on the local memorial, I just think it's something het should be corrected.  These men were KIA like many others.

74496[/snapback]

I think you're right, they should be counted. If you know of any veterans who served in Viet Nam, ask them if they have gotten on the Agent Orange Registry.

They should be able to call the VA in East Orange to get the information. Since the symptoms and illnesses vary, they should register. It may be a long process but there are vet's who have illnesses that are related and don't know it. Also, while the Government doesn't recognize it, there are children of veterans who were exposed that were born with defects that could be related to agent orange.

I think you're right, they should be counted. If you know of any veterans who served in Viet Nam, ask them if they have gotten on the Agent Orange Registry.

They should be able to call the VA in East Orange to get the information. Since the symptoms and illnesses vary, they should register. It may be a long process but there are vet's who have illnesses that are related and don't know it. Also, while the Government doesn't recognize it, there are children of veterans who were exposed that were born with defects that could be related to agent orange.

75089[/snapback]

I only know of a Kearny native killed by Agent Orange and I believe he should be honored like any other KIA of the Vietnam War.

We on the left know better than you on the right about the real war on terror. There are several things we have to do to win it. The numbering is in no particular order. We must do all these things simultaneously.

1. Free ourselves from oil dependence. That means developing and switching to other sources of energy.

2. Regain the world's trust and support, and work with other nations to root out and destroy terrorist operations. That means coordinating intelligence operations and military power internationally. That's not being done. The U.S. military is pre-occupied in Iraq, and the rest of the world's military isn't supporting us in any signifcant way.

3. Stop wasting nearly all our military resources on nation-building, in one nation! Why did that make perfect sense to you idiots when Bush was running for election, and no sense now that he's on the most quixotic nation-building misadventure in our history?

4. Stop spending ourselves deeper and deeper into debt in a unilateral quasi-military adventure whose military objective ended with the infamous "mission accomplished." In a perverse sense, Bush was right. The military objective had been achieved. But the jackass went in with no exit strategy, the very thing he claimed should never be done. And you idiots on the right couldn't care less because he's your boy and can do no wrong. You're ditto-headed idiots. I don't know what you think you're accomplishing ignoring the most basic of facts like that. The generals who have come out of service and blasted this policy --- this is unprecedented, and it leaves no doubt that this "war" is a disaster.

By the way, it's not a crock. Many on the right (and some you would think were not so far right) thought Hitler wasn't such a bad guy at all.

74757[/snapback]

I'll add a fifth point. If we want to convert Islamic states into democracies, we're going to have to stop giving them reasons to hate us.

Guest 2smart4u
Roosevelt knew to go after the country that actually attacked us. That's more than can be said for Bush, and that's a fact.

74818[/snapback]

News Flash !! Terrorism knows no country. Pinhead.

Guest 2smart4u

74757[/snapback]

Kool-aid alert !!!