When Harrison was a great place to live!

Jimmy Hoffa

Guest Old timer.

Carbones ! After all these years Carbones is still my favorite pizza

Correction. That was Cerbones Pizza. Across from the Economy Hardware.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Guest

Correction. That was Cerbones Pizza. Across from the Economy Hardware.

Sorry! Didn't mean to correct you. I should have just figured that it was Cerbones Pizza. My fault! You are right, it was the best Pizza in Town. I can still taste the Corn Flour under the crust! Don't make it like that anymore. Sorry again for the correction, it wasn't intentional.

Guest Guest

Taking TV tubes to Squires Drugs to test on the machine

The Milk Machine on 4th

The A&P on Harrison Ave

Fulgers on Davis and Harrison (he used to grind chop meat and make Sausage in there)

Butler Dodge was the Car Dealer on the Ave (Later the Youth Center)

Lerners 5&10

Pur Cels Toys

Roman Jelly and Finks and Pletters Furniture Companies.

Getting dough balls from Pechters to go fishing in West Hudson Park Pond

Ideal Barber Shop across from Washington School (the horse in the window)

Steves Deli on the Ave

Polskys (Mother charged penny tax on everything)

King Tut Subs

Frankies Underground

• 3 weeks later...
Guest tony&ziggy

my fondest memories are in the lincoln school playground in the summer,playing boxball all day long back in the sixies. we all meet at the gate on william st. at 9 ;00 oclock in the morning waiting for the playground to open.we would play until closing time,guys like george santo,billy lang charlie midgley pete o'grady, etc. etc.etc. (it was the time of our lives).

Guest njjoe

I remember:

John Nucera's dance studio on N. 4th St

Dr. Lasky the dentist

Colton Cab & newspapers on N. 4th St

Edwiss jewelers

Berjac's restaurant Harrison & N. 4th

Tiny A&P across the street from Holy Cross school

Tailor shop next to Mike Lipkin's newspaper store

The shoemaker Louie next to the tailor

Walter's Deli

601 Bar Davis St & N. 4th

Moose Club on Davis St.

Yates Bar

Weirdo's Bar

Hibbo's bar next to the post office

Guest njjoe

I remember:

John Nucera's dance studio on N. 4th St

Dr. Lasky the dentist

Colton Cab & newspapers on N. 4th St

Edwiss jewelers

Berjac's restaurant Harrison & N. 4th

Tiny A&P across the street from Holy Cross school

Tailor shop next to Mike Lipkin's newspaper store

The shoemaker Louie next to the tailor

Walter's Deli

601 Bar Davis St & N. 4th

Moose Club on Davis St.

Yates Bar

Weirdo's Bar

Hibbo's bar next to the post office

• 5 months later...
  • 2 months later...
Guest scoop johnson

LET BRING HARRISON BACK, WHEN YOU ARE WALKING DOWN THE STREET JUST SAY HI TO PEOPLE WETHER YOU KNOW THEM OR NOT.

amen.....err, right on! most people warm up to it. but you have do it. i do, but i get some serious cold stares. not the same world unfortunately. but do it anyway.

• 6 months later...

Ah...yes, I miss the good ole days of Harrison. I lived there 29 years. Does anyone remember a family in the area there where someone named Mamie died in a fire there in Harrison maybe in the 1950's? Ah...good ole Harrison...I wonder if the cop Bobby still walks the beat there by the Harrison Library at night. I lived in Harrison 29 years and in the Harrison Gardens 9 years. It's all so different now...nothing like it once was. Nice to know that there are still some of us that remember the good days there.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...
Guest Now we say "Hola or nehow"
On 2/1/2006 at 2:50 PM, Guest Guest said:

LET BRING HARRISON BACK, WHEN YOU ARE WALKING DOWN THE STREET JUST SAY HI TO PEOPLE WETHER YOU KNOW THEM OR NOT.

Guest Guest

You want Harrison back to the way it was? Go to Facebook Page.. "I grew up in Harrison, N.J." You will get a full dose of how the Town was in the past. Vicious, rumor starting gossips! Everyone snooping into other people's business. Cliques that team up on each other if someone doesn't agree with their group. Information and disgusting in fighting discussion over a Funeral! Even a person giving out Personal Medical Information in a attempt to gain sympathy and prayer for herself! Just like the "Old Days" one woman and a few others are constantly and obviously infatuated, with posting and replying to all postings. There is some interesting photos of some of Harrison's Past Landmark Buildings and interesting comments and even that turns out to be questionable recollections and bad grammar. The interesting comments quickly turn to unconfirmed gossip and conjecture started by one person that turns out to be false information. If you want a good look into Harrison's past, follow this garbage for a few days and if you are not sick to your stomach, I'm sure you will have second thoughts about returning Harrison to the way it used to be. 

• 4 years later...
Guest Harrisonian

Easter Parade festivities with egg hunts and other activities at the public library park in spring, Arts & Crafts and games galore in the playgrounds all around town in the summer, Halloween Parades down 4th St. to JFK Stadium (prizes for best costumes) in fall, Ice Skating at the rink set up in JFK Stadium in winter. Harrison a Town for all seasons. 🙂🙃🙂🌷🏖️👻

• 1 year later...
Guest Tommy B
On 2/4/2006 at 11:14 AM, Guest Guest said:

getting served at the Lyceum by Gene at 16.

I used to deliver newspapers there as a kid. I can remember the beers were cheap and they had a “swear jar”. If the patrons cursed, they’d have to put money in the jar. 

• 3 months later...