Did You Hear?

Guest Guest

does anyone remember the paper store called commys that was where 280 is now,and the playground that was on cleveland ave and 2nd street and remember the arts and crafts at the jersey street playground.that was fun.

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ice skating on the pond in Kearny park. Also going to Girl Scout camp at the park. The Kearny Pool on Bergen Street off Schuyler Avenue. How about the rides that came on trucks to your own street? Also there was Weidbolts on 4th street (great grill cheese sandwich). I believe there was also King Hoagies on the corner of 3rd & Harrison Avenue.

ah the old RCA swmming pool. I was there all the time because my father was the chief of guards and my uncle was swim instructer, I was born and raise here and still here  I graduated from the old high school in 1960

I graduated in "60 also. Post your initials and I'll check my yearbook & try to figure out who you are.

More memories;  The Corner Bakery on 3rd & Harrison,  Touch football league,  the wagon that came around selling fruits and vegtables, the guy that came around sharpening knives,  Carl Knoles Driver Education class in HS, roller skating in the streets, smoking in the boys bathroom, the playground on 2nd & Harrison, losing to Wallington 14-12 in final game my senior year (i think it was our only loss that year). The soda shop on 2nd & Hamilton, The Bluebird Barber Shop accross from old HS.

LOL what memories! I got caught smoking in the girls bathroom by Miss Moore and being suspended by Mr. Barber. I was punished for the rest of the year by my parents! It was like 7 months of house arrest.

Guest Nuttynana
How about the Pool Room on third street, Smolski’s food store on 2nd and Hamilton, playing ball on both side of 280 right next to the Stickle Bridge , the dances at the Library, Hilenger’s (sp) penny candy store on John Street and Clara and Jimmy store on Second St between Central Ave and William street

Gee does any one remember WHO lived Upstairs from there........

Schultz's on Harrison Avenue across from Gelwargs Drug Store. How about Dr. D"Ambola on sixth street. The smell of his office is still imbeded in my nose. He even made house calls.

how about ben gasts on 4th street and william street,and  the pizza place that was on 4th street.do not remember the name.

The Arrrow bar and Pizza on 4th and Sherman? and remember the Pool hall on top of Cappicinos hardware on 4th and Davis? right across the street was Myers Ice Cream parlor, and the OK deli, Steves Florist? Also the 5 & 10 cent store located where the Valley National Bank is now on the blvd. just before the railroad bridge to Kearny?

Also, before the days of Rite-Aid drug stores, there was Squires Drugs on Harrison ave. and Marc pharmacy on 4th Street (FDR Blvd for those of you that don't remember 4th street)

Also, Symore, with the fruit and vegtable truck on Saturday mornings with Symore yellin out: RIPE PEACHES, RIPE TOMATOES, 3 Lbs for 50 cents! :)

The Arrrow bar and Pizza on 4th and Sherman? and remember the Pool hall on top of Cappicinos hardware on 4th and Davis? right across the street was Myers Ice Cream parlor, and the OK deli, Steves Florist? Also the 5 & 10 cent store located where the Valley National Bank is now on the blvd. just before the railroad bridge to Kearny?

Also, before the days of Rite-Aid drug stores, there was Squires Drugs on Harrison ave. and Marc pharmacy on 4th Street (FDR Blvd for those of you that don't remember 4th street)

Also, Symore, with the fruit and vegtable truck on Saturday mornings with Symore yellin out: RIPE PEACHES, RIPE TOMATOES, 3 Lbs for 50 cents! :)

I grew up on the corner of 4th & Davis so I can remember all of the stores you mentioned....Remember the Thompson's selling carnations for mother's day. We' d buy from them on the corner of Sherman Ave. & 3rd street and then sell them door to door. Also Feinsmithe's deli across the street from the arrow.tavern

You mentioned Meyer's, i remember Helen Meyers having the neighborhood kids in her apartment above the store for Christmas songs and goodies. Also watching Henry making the chocolate bunnies for easter thgough the grating covering the basement windows.

Guest Nuttynana
how about purcell's toy store, on harrison av.

Purcell's Toy Store, I used to work there around the holidays when they used to make the Holiday baskets that is what I did....I forgot all about that store....and I was only a teenager .

Guest Nutty nana
I grew up on the corner of 4th & Davis so I can remember all of the stores you mentioned....Remember the Thompson's selling carnations for mother's day. We' d buy from them on the corner of Sherman Ave. & 3rd street and then sell them door to door. Also Feinsmithe's deli across the street from the arrow.tavern

You mentioned Meyer's, i remember Helen Meyers having the neighborhood kids in her apartment above the store for Christmas songs and goodies. Also watching Henry making the chocolate bunnies for easter thgough the grating covering the basement windows.

Do You remember in our younger Days You actually had kids going door to door Singing Christmas Carols...That was great, and You would appreciate it when they gave You a Cup of Hot Chocolate or a Quarte as a tip.....

I thought Sophie's was where Cutting Corners is now??? Or am I having a "senior moment"?  B)

Also, there is a parking lot on 4th / Harrison now? I remember the one by the bank / Holy Cross.

Sophie's card store was in 'BOTH' places. First, in the 50's and very early 60's, it was in the bank parking lot, next to Ruebin's drug storethe bank). Then it moved across the street to the corner where Cutting corner's is now.

Guest Guest_smokey_*
Sophie's card store was in 'BOTH' places.  First, in the 50's and very early 60's, it was in the bank parking  lot, next to Ruebin's drug storethe bank).  Then it moved across the street to the corner where Cutting corner's is now.

what about tots and teens clothiing store on 4th st between central and davis ave?

Guest Guest TOH

What about the RCA, it took up the whole are where the Bergen Mall is, and then some. On 4th St. (now FER) where the Wendy's is, there was a bar and a bunch of row houses, they burned down in the mid-late 60's. What about Ben Gast tailor and the old Varsity Cleaners, where the bank is on FER North (the old Marc Pharmacy.) And the old Dodge dealer on Harrison Av across from 6th St. For a time in the 70's it was the town's Youth Center. The Rikshaw Restrauant on 3rd St., where that sports bar is now and the Wing-Han on 7th St. Sno-gros on So. 4th St., right next to Packy's Bar. Speaking of bars...Hibbo's on 5th and Harrison.

Sophie's card store was in 'BOTH' places.  First, in the 50's and very early 60's, it was in the bank parking  lot, next to Ruebin's drug storethe bank).  Then it moved across the street to the corner where Cutting corner's is now.

how about the clover shop on harrison ave.

What about the RCA, it took up the whole are where the Bergen Mall is, and then some.  On 4th St. (now FER) where the Wendy's is, there was a bar and a bunch of row houses, they burned down in the mid-late 60's.  What about Ben Gast tailor and the old Varsity Cleaners, where the bank is on FER North (the old Marc Pharmacy.)  And the old Dodge dealer on Harrison Av across from 6th St.  For a time in the 70's it was the town's Youth Center.  The Rikshaw Restrauant on 3rd St., where that sports bar is now and the Wing-Han on 7th St.  Sno-gros on So. 4th St., right next to Packy's Bar.  Speaking of bars...Hibbo's on 5th and Harrison.

I remember that the RCA had 2 buildings on 4th st.; one took up a whole block and was connected by a walk-though over pass bridge to another RCA building that took up part of a larger block (where the Wendy's is now); with the rest of the block having the row houses and a tavern (probably where the Route 280 overpass is. Across the street, on the southwest corner, was a tavern.

Was the S 4th St First Jersey bank, a branch of the bank next to the Town Hall? Or was it connected to the bank in the Harrison Ave Elks building that closed up in the mid 60's, at the same time the bank on S 4th St was erected? If one bank on the Ave. was First Jerseey, what was the other one named?

Archived