Did You Hear?

Guest Guest

I AM BORN AND RAISED IN HARRISON  I AM 50 YEARS OF AGE.I REMEMBER ALL THAT THE SKATING RINK,THE DANCES,HOW ABOUT THE BAKERY ESPECIALLY KIELBS, AND HARRISON AVE WAS THE PLACE TO GET EVERYTHING  THAT YOU EVER NEEDED. JOHNS BARGAIN STORE,PURCELLS TOY STORE,CERBONES PIZZA AND MAY MORE.YOU REMEMBER ALOT LIKE ME.GLAD TO KNOW THE GOOD THINGS THAT WAS WHEN EVERYONE GOT ALONG EVEN THOUGH WE HAVE NOTHING WE ALL MANAGED TODAY IT IS ANOTHER WORLD.

Folks I'm really proud of you all. I knew there was more to Harrisonians than bitterness. All the posting bring back some fond memories. Hopefully something good can come from this.Keep it going. Here are some more for your perusal, the Hudson movie on Kearny Ave. Also the Regent movie up further on Kearny Ave., the local soccer teams like teams from the Harrison Gardens, the Entre Nous from East Newark and this before little league. As a matter of fact little league Baseball didn't come into being until 51" so I got 1 year. But we still had the grammer school leagues in soccer, basketball and baseball. Does the town still have these leagues? I also remember going to Lincoln school to see the dentist, I think his name was Cole, and this was part of being a resident. Some things really do change.

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

HOW ABOUT THE FISH AND CHIPS THAT WAS RIGHT ACROSS FROM THE HIGH SCHOOL WHERE THE PARKING LOT IS NOW.AND ALSO THE BAKERY WHERE THE BEAUTY PARLOR ON HARRISON AVE.AND HOW ABOUT KORN MAR WHERE YOU GOT EVERYTHING.AND FRANKIES CANDY STORE IN THE BASEMENT ON THIRD STREET.AND KATE AND TONYS CANDY STORE ON THIRD STREET NEAR THE OLC.CHURCH I REMEMBER AS A KID GOING IN THERE AND OUT WE WENT WITH OUT CANDY.HARRISON WAS FUN THEN GONE NOW.BRING BACK OUR HARRISON AS WE HAVE KNOWN IT.

I was not born and raised in Harrison but got here by marriage. I have heard so many of these wonderful stories from the family I married into. This Town was really something special in its day. I am so glad to see you all writing such wonderful memories on this site. As you can see the not so smart of Harrison have to chime in every once in awhile. Show them what the true Harrison people are all about, keep these wonderful memories going, there loss is to not have grown up in the Harrison that once was. The sad truth is that those who try to ruin this site by showing there lack of human respect and maturity are what Harrison now has to offer as far as its future. Please, keep writing, these are such great memories you are all sharing and it goes along way in saying, that the heart of Harrison is beating much slower these days as the true, loyal and the Best of the Best residents are now moving away. Here's to the memories you all talk about and keep so safe locked in your hearts. How truely great and wonderful the Town of Harrison once was!!!!!!

Guest Another Ex-BlueTider
Folks I'm really proud of you all. I knew there was more to Harrisonians than bitterness. All the posting bring back some fond memories. Hopefully something good can come from this.Keep it going. Here are some more for your perusal, the Hudson movie on Kearny Ave. Also the Regent movie up further on Kearny Ave., the local soccer teams like teams from the Harrison Gardens, the Entre Nous from East Newark and this before little league. As a matter of fact little league Baseball didn't come into being until 51" so I got 1 year. But we still had the grammer school leagues in soccer, basketball and baseball. Does the town still have these leagues? I also remember going to Lincoln school to see the dentist, I think his name was Cole, and this was part of being a resident. Some things really do change.

Haven't lived in Harrison in 40 years, live in NC now. Reading these posts bring back a lot of memories. Little League in mid-fiftys (I played on the Rodgers team), summer afternoon movies at the Warner theatre, Louie's Sausage Sandwiches (I can still taste them), HS lunches at Wiebolts and Meyers, crusin' Kearny Ave., Eagans, Bright Spot, great football teams in late 50's & early 60's. Terrific town for a kid growing up at that time.

Haven't lived in Harrison in 40 years, live in NC now. Reading these posts bring back a lot of memories. Little League in mid-fiftys (I played on the Rodgers team), summer afternoon movies at the Warner theatre, Louie's Sausage Sandwiches (I can still taste them), HS lunches at Wiebolts and Meyers, crusin' Kearny Ave., Eagans, Bright Spot, great football teams in late 50's & early 60's. Terrific town for a kid growing up at that time.

This is a coincidence....I'm also in NC, played on the Rodgers team and also played on one of those HS football teams....Who dat when i say who dat....LOL

HOW ABOUT THE FISH AND CHIPS THAT WAS RIGHT ACROSS FROM THE HIGH SCHOOL WHERE THE PARKING LOT IS NOW.AND ALSO THE BAKERY WHERE THE BEAUTY PARLOR ON HARRISON AVE.AND HOW ABOUT KORN MAR WHERE YOU GOT EVERYTHING.AND FRANKIES CANDY STORE IN THE BASEMENT ON THIRD STREET.AND KATE AND TONYS CANDY STORE ON THIRD STREET NEAR THE OLC.CHURCH I REMEMBER AS A KID GOING IN THERE AND OUT WE WENT WITH OUT CANDY.HARRISON WAS FUN THEN GONE NOW.BRING BACK OUR HARRISON AS WE HAVE KNOWN IT.

Yeah! Tony's and Katie's candy store on Third and Warren. How about all the "HOODLUMS" who annoyed them to no end. They bought eggs from there and went across the street and threw them at Tony's window. Remember what happened when you wanted to buy a ZAGNUT from Tony?

yes i remember all that and also mustilli italian ice and 2nd street.and rubin drugstore on4th street.and how about the milk  machine and the fruit man that used to come around on saturday.i remember all this as a kid,that was the harrison we have known that was when  we have nect to nothing but we managed not in this world today to much violence.give us back our harrison i will takke it any day.

Yes Mustilli Italian Ices, They were the best...also Miss Paris She was a teacher and had a candy store on John Street and Cross street ...Boy She was the sweetest Woman, Then You had Julieo"s on Central ave in East newark....Dick The Fish on Central Ave He had the greatest fish dinners.and were also great people.....I can't remember the name of the little Scotts Bakery that used to be on Central Ave between 3rd. street and 4th, used to go there quite often for their meatpies, mmmmm....mmmmmmGood.

I was not born and raised in Harrison but got here by marriage.  I have heard so many of these wonderful stories from the family I married into. This Town was really something special in its day.  I am so glad to see you all writing such wonderful memories on this site.  As you can see the not so smart of Harrison have to chime in every once in awhile.  Show them what the true Harrison people are all about, keep these wonderful memories going,  there loss is to not have grown up in the Harrison that once was.  The sad truth is that those who try to ruin this site by showing there lack of human respect and maturity are what Harrison now has to offer as far as its future.  Please, keep writing, these are such great memories you are all sharing and it goes along way in saying,  that the heart of Harrison is beating much slower these days as the true, loyal and the Best of the Best residents are now moving away.  Here's to the memories you all talk about and keep so safe locked in your hearts.  How truely great and wonderful the Town of Harrison once was!!!!!!

Yes they have to get in their remarks , but if We ignore them I am sure they will go away....This topic brings back good memories...Lets keep it going.....Thanks for the Memories everyone, It is nice to have something worth reading.....Are there any of the Twin Trees crew out there.......

How about the Two Guys Store on Pasaice ave, The Rca Building that was on 4Th street , and I believe it was Sussex street, They sold appliances , I think that is also were they had a pool in the building and You could go for swimmimg lessons...

yes i remember all that and also mustilli italian ice and 2nd street.and rubin drugstore on4th street.and how about the milk  machine and the fruit man that used to come around on saturday.i remember all this as a kid,that was the harrison we have known that was when  we have nect to nothing but we managed not in this world today to much violence.give us back our harrison i will takke it any day.

I remember having Milk delivered to the house...You would have these little Milk boxes on Your porch and every mornig You would have Milk or and eggs , butter delivered

How about the Tennis Court Dances on Friday nights...you paid a quarter to get in and everyone had a good time.  The bands that would play in the Courts were made up of alot of our friends.  After the dance everyone would go to DJ's for pizza (they made great pizza).

Does anyone remember ,if You went to Holy Cross School. One day a week a dance teacher would come in and teach You how to Tap dance We would all be in the Auditorium and He would be on the stage, I believe His name was Jack He had a dance studio on 4th. street between Central and Davis Street.....And Then the Nuns wore their Habits....I don,t understand why they don't still dress that way.....I believe they got more respect from people then....

I"m not familiar with Father Jack, but all the other postings certainly bring back memories. Thanks for participating. By the way that lot at President and Grant was the place where most of us played and learned soccer. The East Newark Boys Club and Entre Nous were the one's that come to mind. Sleigh riding on Sherman Ave. , tthe Warner , Meyers Soda Fountain. Cmon folks help me out here....LOL

I remember My Brothers played there

Yes I remember Frankies, That was such a small store and I can See Frankie in there as well Memories......

This is a coincidence....I'm also in NC, played on the Rodgers team and also played on one of those HS football teams....Who dat when i say who dat....LOL

Eagan's was great Frenchies with Gravy after the drive in Movies on Route3.....Eagan's is now a I Believe a CVS

Yes I remember Frankies, That was such a small store and I can See Frankie  in there as well  Memories......

Remember Frankie used to say to all the kids, "Hey boy, no hang around here." And he always called the little girls "Dolly."

How about the Pool Room on third street, Smolski’s food store on 2nd and Hamilton, playing ball on both side of 280 right next to the Stickle Bridge , the dances at the Library, Hilenger’s (sp) penny candy store on John Street and Clara and Jimmy store on Second St between Central Ave and William street

Remember Frankie used to say to all the kids, "Hey boy, no hang around here." And he always called the little girls "Dolly."

Yea Good Old Frankie, God Bless Him He had His hands full....But I think He loved every minute of it...There should be more store owners like him........

Most of the small candy stores and the Pop Shops had decent owners and operaters....You were allowed to go in and get a soda or Malt and sit in the booths and hang out for a while...They would get to know You and become Your Friend....All the Malt shots had there own little crew that hung out in them. Even if You weren't one of the regulars You weren't bullied for going into the store, everyone pretty much got along , We All took care of each other........NOT ANY MORE.

How about the Fish Market that used to be on N5TH. Street. What an oder , I used to hate going there to get Fish for My Mom , You would smell like fish for the rest of the Day......

does anyone remember the milk bar opposite holy cross school we used to go in there everyday while at holy cross school.give us back our youth in harrison the way we used to know the harrison of years ago.

Guest Another ExBlueTider

Very interesting, we may have been teammates on the Rodgers or HS team at the same time.

how about the hi ho luncheonette on harrison ave  we went there from high school for something quick.

OMG............I hadn't thought about the Hi Ho in such a long time........they made the best pizza burgers!!! How about Mr. K behind the counter making the soda with the coke syrup and seltzer! And Pete Goodmans......sometimes I spent my lunch money in there on ice cream and candy.........and the five and dime next door.....God this was the best town to grow up in.......I kind of feel bad for the kids of today. Going to the Warner theater and the bowling alley on Hamilton St. Who remembers the cat lady on 4th Street next to the theater........she had like 150 cats and they would be missing body parts and stuff and she would sit outside with her cats all around her. The things one remembers.

Guest still loving harrison

:o

Father Jack and the CYO trips and dances.

Wiebolts (spelling)

All the soda fountains that used to thrive in the candy/paper stores and drug stores

and what about the yearly field night

where lincoln school students competed against washington school students.

and i think that i wll never forget marching down 4th street to harrison avenue on the way to the harrison stadium in those UGLY uniforms that we had to wear.

so please sit back and think about all of the fun and laughs that we had and can always remember

thanks for the memories they will always be cherised

If memory serves me right the fish and chip store across from the high school was Hoey's. The owner was a policeman in town and a real good softball pitcher. How about when the little league field was called "the carbarns" and only softball was played on it. And then there was Reynolds field where Kingsland Courts are now. I'm not sure but I think it was owned by Reynolds Metals which sat on the land across the street where the condos are now.Ahhh the memories.

Archived