House Fire

Guest TownCryer

You're sarcasm is noted!!  But, I think you missed the point.  I have followed the numerous posts regarding the contract situation with the F.D., and it seems to me, that their main complaint is going as many years as they have without a raise.

It seems perfectly reasonable that ALL workers, yes even the fireman, should be able to expect some sort of raise.  All arguments otherwise is simply a "haves" and "have nots" argument.

To those that are that jealous of what the Fire Department workers receive, I say take the test.  It's a State test, it can't be that hard.  Just look at how trying the Driver's test is.

Take the test along with 5,000 othrers. Seventy five percent of which are out of towners. If you are able to score in the top twenty, then you have a shot. Kearny is the only municipality in NJ without residency restrictions. There is currently a position available for a "Bus Driver" with the town You must be a resident of either Essex or Hudson County to be eligable for the position. WHY??? Al Santos and the Council have not even attempted to change this decade old Court Order, while every other municipality affected has been released from it. They love out of towners. Out of towners don't care or care to know what is going on inside. Just look at what they did to the KVERS. Dollars be damned, just keep it quiet!!

The test is made up and administered by the State, it is so easy that a person with only an 8th grade education can pass it !!!!

The State even made the physical part of the test easier.

They make it easy for minorities to pass!!!!!

Neither the written or physical test for Kearny Police and Fire are graded in a "pass/ fail" manner. And they never were. They are scored on a competetive basis. If you pass the tests then you are put on a list according to your score. Making any portion of the test easier affects everyone who takes it, not just any particular group. By the way, in most instances, changes involving the physical portion of Police and Fire testing were done as results of complaints by women and/or womens organizations.

In the past both the physical or the written test were graded in a pass/fail manner. It used to be 50/50 (to many fails on written). Then they went to written (pass/fail) & physical for score( to many fails on the tunnel part of the physical). Also I think women are considered a minority in this situation. I heard the next test they're going to insert the basketball dunk in lieu of the tunnel.

In regards to Kearny what you state is absolute nonsense!!! It is partly factual in regards to Jersey City, Newark, Camden etc...

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply
You're sarcasm is noted!!  But, I think you missed the point.  I have followed the numerous posts regarding the contract situation with the F.D., and it seems to me, that their main complaint is going as many years as they have without a raise.

It seems perfectly reasonable that ALL workers, yes even the fireman, should be able to expect some sort of raise.  All arguments otherwise is simply a "haves" and "have nots" argument.

To those that are that jealous of what the Fire Department workers receive, I say take the test.  It's a State test, it can't be that hard.  Just look at how trying the Driver's test is.

Take the test along with 5,000 othrers. Seventy five percent of which are out of towners. If you are able to score in the top twenty, then you have a shot. Kearny is the only municipality in NJ without residency restrictions. There is currently a position available for a "Bus Driver" with the town You must be a resident of either Essex or Hudson County to be eligable for the position. WHY??? Al Santos and the Council have not even attempted to change this decade old Court Order, while every other municipality affected has been released from it. They love out of towners. Out of towners don't care or care to know what is going on inside. Just look at what they did to the KVERS. Dollars be damned, just keep it quiet!!

The test is made up and administered by the State, it is so easy that a person with only an 8th grade education can pass it !!!!

The State even made the physical part of the test easier.

They make it easy for minorities to pass!!!!!

Neither the written or physical test for Kearny Police and Fire are graded in a "pass/ fail" manner. And they never were. They are scored on a competetive basis. If you pass the tests then you are put on a list according to your score. Making any portion of the test easier affects everyone who takes it, not just any particular group. By the way, in most instances, changes involving the physical portion of Police and Fire testing were done as results of complaints by women and/or womens organizations.

In the past both the physical or the written test were graded in a pass/fail manner. It used to be 50/50 (to many fails on written). Then they went to written (pass/fail) & physical for score( to many fails on the tunnel part of the physical). Also I think women are considered a minority in this situation. I heard the next test they're going to insert the basketball dunk in lieu of the tunnel.

In regards to Kearny what you state is absolute nonsense!!! It is partly factual in regards to Jersey City, Newark, Camden etc...

Remember I said in the passed.

Guest Guest 1
You're sarcasm is noted!! But, I think you missed the point. I have followed the numerous posts regarding the contract situation with the F.D., and it seems to me, that their main complaint is going as many years as they have without a raise.

It seems perfectly reasonable that ALL workers, yes even the fireman, should be able to expect some sort of raise. All arguments otherwise is simply a "haves" and "have nots" argument.

To those that are that jealous of what the Fire Department workers receive, I say take the test. It's a State test, it can't be that hard. Just look at how trying the Driver's test is.

Spirit..They are without a raise for 3 yrs because their 24 hr. shift demand is holding up the settlement of the contract. It appears if they give up that demand, a contract will be reached and the raise will be retroactive. They just won't give up the 24 hr. demand.

Spirit..They are without a raise for 3 yrs because their 24 hr. shift demand is holding up the settlement of the contract. It appears if they give up that demand, a contract will be reached and the raise will be retroactive. They just won't give up the 24 hr. demand.

Evidently you have no idea what your talking about.

Do you enjoy pulling stuff out of your A$$?

Don't reply back until you get a clue. :)

Guest Are You a Councilperson or the B

Why should the Union bend? You post should read either party should drop the 24's not just the Union you biggot!

# 1 it is not a demand its a proposal.The town would sh-t if the Union dropped the 24 hr. proposal! They would have nothing to bargain with then. They would have to give the same raises they gave every other union or Dept. head in the town. They are just trying to string the situation out as long as possible because thier financial situation most likely is not as good as they tell the taxpayers it is.

Guest Did he retire?

I thought Guest 1 retired!

I thought Guest 1 retired!

Could be that $100.00 bet.

Guest one of the guys
:lol: good thing you dont get paid per fire eh

Good thing you don't get paid for you're compassion, some of the guys took the job because they wanted to be firemen, some didn't. It certainly ain't for the pay, which you're claiming to be too much. How dangerous is you're job? Paper cuts can be nasty. They know the job is dangerous, yet they continue to do it without a contract. Funny thing about firemen....there always firemen!! :)

just remember you don't pay me for what i do---you pay me for what i might have to do

Guest Iron Man

You people should get a life. The post starts about a fire then goes on about contracts no wonder why nothing ever gets settled round here. Incidentally how did you get the beans above the franks?

You people should get a life. The post starts about a fire then goes on about contracts no wonder why nothing ever gets settled round here. Incidentally how did you get the beans above the franks?

Why should we be limited to the topic? It seems this contract thing is a thorn in everyones side so I see no reason to dismiss it. Everyone can get their point across and it's been pretty civil so far. We don't "settle" anything here, it's all just talk. So crack open a brewsky and chill out before you pop a blood vessel . :)

Guest pulltheotherone

Does anyoneknow if the Mayor has told the rest of the Town Council about the particulars in the firemans contract, or will it be.......SSSHHHH.....as usual?

Guest firefighter
Most people wouldn't call fifty something thousand big bucks, especially if that meant going into a house that was on fire and trying to save someone that they don't even know. Does your misery and jealousy carry over into your family? I feel sorry for them.  :ph34r:

Maybe you should ask the average Kearny resident, they may see it differently. These guys are firemen and that is their JOB and what they're PAID to do, they're not volunteers. As far as fifty something thousand, the average is 57k which is closer to 60k than 50k plus benefits. Now how about their benefits, do they pay for that out of their own pocket? I don't think so, so lets add that into their annual salary. So how much does a fireman make including medical, sick days, vacation time, pension and any other benefits they get? The job they do is an important one but it is a JOB. Nobody forced or begged them to take the job. If they don't have a new contract, maybe they should look to their union for the answer. Is the town supposed to just give them whatever they want? They could seek employment elsewhere if thy're that unhappy.

Why do we always have to go here? I'm a f/f, proud to do the job, happy to get paid to do the job, hope to get a contract soon (is that such a bad thing? - inflation rises, shouldnt our income as well?), but whatever happens, I fully expect to continue to earn every dollar I'm paid. - Personnaly, i hope you feel the same way about your job, but know this - I will not go anywhere and bash you or your job/income/family/hobbies/or whatever, but I promise you one thing, If you or your family are in trouble, I will respond with my crew and we'll do everything we can to help you. I give you my word on that. Have a happy holliday.

Guest FlagMann_Guest

Hello!!! :P The FlagMann.Knows!! "Some" firefighters in Town!! But "you"have to always!! Remember? You get paid!!!From the KEARNY TAX PAYERS!!! :ph34r: {Hello?} You know!! and the Town knows!! Firefighters in Town,Along with the Police!! Always cry

poverty!! ;) {its only nature!! if you are member of the team}

Here comes Newark,Trash,trash, trash, and more trash!! :(

FlagMann. :D

Guest Life's little joke

Flagmann,

You're anger is your curse not ours. But in the spirit of holiday cheer. . . a bit of advice.

Don't go away angry--- just go AWAY!!!

Hello!!! :P The FlagMann.Knows!! "Some" firefighters in Town!! But "you"have to always!! Remember? You get paid!!!From the KEARNY TAX PAYERS!!! :ph34r: {Hello?} You know!! and the Town knows!! Firefighters in Town,Along with the Police!! Always cry

poverty!! ;) {its only nature!! if you are member of the team}

Here comes Newark,Trash,trash, trash, and more trash!! :(

FlagMann. :D

Should they charge by the job? If that was the case your landlord would be sh-t out of luck. Any Firemen that associates with you has no b-lls!!!!!

All the good taxpaying (homeowners) citizens of Kearny know what this town is all about.

SOS, every paid firefighter on this side of county cries about something. Let,s see they fight maybe one or two fires a month, and watch TV or rest up (SLEEP) for their real jobs.

What would they do if they were assigned to Jersey City? They would Shi*T.

SOS, every paid firefighter on this side of county cries about something. Let,s see they fight maybe one or two fires a month, and watch TV or rest up (SLEEP) for their real jobs.

Kearny firemen are in Jersey City on mutual aid all the time. A fire burns the same in Kearny as it does in JC or anywhere you dumb a-hole. Just worry about your deep fat fryer going up @ Burger King (your real JOB!). You'd be the 1st one out the door chicken-sh-t a--hole!

Guest pulltheotherone

:You people amuse me....B**ch B**ch B**ch all the time.....you should be real happy there are not fires every day.....that will happen....then we'll be just like Newark and Jersey City....now there are real goals...the cops and firemen do the job.....and should have a contract...come on Mayor.....Joe D got a contract....so has everyone else....I guess they think its a moo point....don't these little dots annoy you?....they do me.............. :P:ph34r::D:P:):(:(;):ph34r:B):P:o;)

Guest guest_Guest
:You people amuse me....B**ch B**ch B**ch all the time.....you should be real happy there are not fires every day.....that will happen....then we'll be just like Newark and Jersey City....now there are real goals...the cops and firemen do the job.....and should have a contract...come on Mayor.....Joe D got a contract....so has everyone else....I guess they think its a moo point....don't these little dots annoy you?....they do me.............. :P:ph34r::D:P:):(:(;):ph34r:B):P:o;)

no, you as firemen and cops should be glad this isn't newark or j.c. otherwise you'd be dodging bullets while your going to a fire.

Kearny firemen are in Jersey City on mutual aid all the time. A fire burns the same in Kearny as it does in JC or anywhere you dumb a-hole. Just worry about your deep fat fryer going up @ Burger King (your real JOB!). You'd be the 1st one out the door chicken-sh-t a--hole!

When they respond for mutal aid, they sit in the unoccupied firehouse. While they are babysitting the firehouse, watching cable or again sleeping. Then they say Hey we went to JC today. Hoorah for us. Quit your bellyaching collect your money and shut up. If you want the tax-payers to stop complaing start riding the Kearny ambulance like they do in Harrison and justify your existence. :ph34r:

Guest Firefighter

JUSTIFY my existence. My job does not define who I am, nor should yours. I have a wonderful family and life. You don't like my career or the conditions of my employment, that is your right. But, my existence has already been JUSTIFIED.

Please try to keep ignorant comments to a minimum, there are already plenty here.

Archived