Water Dept.

Guest Citizen

An awful lot of words in this post . . . but you're not saying anything.

Let's go back to square one. The Water Dept can only show a surplus by listing the $440,000 that East Orange owes us as a receivable. That's a fact. If East Orange pays us - surplus. If they don't pay us - deficit. Spin all you want, but that's a fact. The question is - we've been waiting 5 years to get paid. Is this money coming or not?

The $440,000 didn't show until Aug. 2002 we closed the books for Fiscal 2001 - five months after the East Orange settlement, which I voted for.

I became a councilman on Jan 1, 2001 but didn't start bitching about the bogus water meter bond until early 2003. Why would I "cry" about water meters two years before the bond ordinance. You do realize how badly you're losing this one, don't you.

Now, just answer this and everyone will be happy. Is there a surplus in the Water Dept without the $440,000 from East Orange? I say no. What do you say? I'd be very interested in the opinion of someone who thinks a receivable and liability are the same thing.

Jim Mangin 

ps - Your serve.

. . . still no response? Can I at least take that as an affirmation that the Water Dept. surplus doesn't exist without the East Orange receivable? OK, I will.

The surplus in the Water Dept. doesn't exist unless you count the $440,000 that East Orange owes us.

And no one is doing thing one about it.

Jim Mangin

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Jimbo,

Thank you for recognizing both my absence and my wit. Since I surmise just a hint of gloating, let me assure you that my silence is self-imposed (an intelligent person can absorb just so much "brain crap" before becoming saturated); and certainly not the result of any undertaking of yours or any other contributor to this site.

Contrary to your assessment, I am in neither a state of surrender nor retreat, but simply reconnoitering for another day, while you recycle the same old, worn rhetoric. January 3rd saw "my people" take the oath of office in Kearny for  four more years, so as Jeb Bush said after the Florida recount was aborted, "My work here is done!"-----for now, that is! But in the words of General MacArthur, "I shall return!"

Until then, remember, "They also serve who only stand and wait." (John Milton, On His Blindness)

(That's enough for one day, kids. Can't risk you overdosing on intelligence.)

A. Retreatist,

Welcome back. Where have you been? I know you haven't been reading much, since that's the third time you've used the same quote from Milton.

And wasn't it Milton who wrote, "Deep versed in books and shallow in himself."

Still, it's nice to hear from you again,

. . . especially since the budget ammendment was introduced last week. Your cheerleading and spinning skills are surely going to be tested.

Game on (for all of us that are un-cool).

Jim Mangin

If i'm not mistaken Kearny had to pay E.O. $1,000,000 just to break the deal which was paid about 1 or 2 years ago check it out.

According to the Mayor's press release the Town of Kearny paid East Orange $250,000 for the return of our Water Dept. in March 2001.

Even though that $250K paid for everything, we still bonded for another $1.2 million for the water meters that were included in the price, bringing the price tag up to roughly $1,450,000.

Interest on that bond will run about $700,000.

East Orange still owes us over $440,000 from the settlement.

And let's not forget that we "accidentally" paid North Jersey Water for the entire first quarter of 2001's water bill, even though we took over on March 1, 2001. That mistake cost us about $137,000. But, according to the Mayor we can't do anything about it (he's wrong, by the way).

The final tally of what it really cost to get the Water Dept. back is nowhere near $250,000. It's more like $2,250,000.

It's time the residents knew the truth.

Jim Mangin

Guest I have eyes
According to the Mayor's press release the Town of Kearny paid East Orange $250,000 for the return of our Water Dept. in March 2001.

Even though that $250K paid for everything, we still bonded for another $1.2 million for the water meters that were included in the price, bringing the price tag up to roughly $1,450,000.

Interest on that bond will run about $700,000.

East Orange still owes us over $440,000 from the settlement.

And let's not forget that we "accidentally" paid North Jersey Water for the entire first quarter of 2001's water bill, even though we took over on March 1, 2001. That mistake cost us about $137,000. But, according to the Mayor we can't do anything about it (he's wrong, by the way).

The final tally of what it really cost to get the Water Dept. back is nowhere near $250,000. It's more like $2,250,000.

It's time the residents knew the truth.

Jim Mangin

The residents will never know the truth! The ferraioli cash cow is filling pockets big time. I see contractors doing water service repairs. What are these people being paid for. Contractors are doing everything! Who did getting the water dept back really benefit ? The ferraioli family! Jim these people don't care about anything your talking about! The water dept was'nt brought back to benefit the community. It was brought back to first, destroy Vartan and then fill pockets.

First, the water head (son) is not the same person as the MUA chairman.

Second, 'what's up' is the hardest working department in the town.  Go out right now and see for yourself.

That little rat is the chair of the kmua? Hardest working my ass. I guess watching contractors do your work is a hard job. And who does the billing? Everybody's working hard on Elm street. What a bunch of $hit!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
Guest Guest
Still wondering?

I guess this is one of those questions no one wants to answer. Some one should check those emergency work requests, I think there are a lot of them. JM you should check this out and then ask the mayor if that is legal or at least proper procedure. Yes, the Town is right back where it was before Vartan was elected. And you will realize this with each tax bill. keep paying for the good life.

• 2 months later...
Guest Guest
Our fiscal ship is sinking and even the bail-outs from the Meadowland Commission can't save us this time. Do you want me to start pointing out every mistake and red flag that is sceaming out for attention from our Annual Financial Statement? Maybe then you'll learn to take the blinders off, open your eyes wide for the first time and you'll see what a financial mess this Town really is.

Is it any wonder that no single certified Chief Financial Officer would take the job in Kearny? It's been posted for over a year and still no takers. What do they know that we all don't (but should).

Jim Mangin

knows what he is talking about

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Guest

How is it that this dept. does what ever it wants and D'Arco lets it happen? Does the mayor hit this dept. for money to keep the taxes down? What's the story?

• 3 years later...
Guest Third Warder
I'm not sticking up for the Water Dept. but United does read the meters mostly by phone, as for using contractors to do the work if you read the Observer it said the Water Dept. was doing upgrades to the water system, new mains, hydrants, valves, etc., but what they are doing is using the contractors to do regular repairs which was never done in the past unless it was a capitol improvement or a major repair that the Water Dept. didnt have the equipment to do.

It appears that the Mayor's official statement on the water department (which went incredibly similar to the above) back in 2005 was a lie. United Water got paid for a job they did not do. The Mayor just forgave water bills which were underestimated for years by United Water. The rest of us got to pay for water and now we get to pay for other folks bills. A couple of the Mayor's friends got to get water for free. I'd like to get the list of folks that got their bills adjusted because United Water and the Ferriole's didn't go their job--read the meters.

The Mayor makes like he just was advised that United Water was not reading meters. What happened to all the money we paid them to read meters? What happened to all the bond money for new meters that weren't purchased? Why do we have all those people in the water department if they haven't been reading meters.

This is the stuff someone should be asking the Mayor about at the next council meeting.

Guest Guest
It appears that the Mayor's official statement on the water department (which went incredibly similar to the above) back in 2005 was a lie. United Water got paid for a job they did not do. The Mayor just forgave water bills which were underestimated for years by United Water. The rest of us got to pay for water and now we get to pay for other folks bills. A couple of the Mayor's friends got to get water for free. I'd like to get the list of folks that got their bills adjusted because United Water and the Ferriole's didn't go their job--read the meters.

The Mayor makes like he just was advised that United Water was not reading meters. What happened to all the money we paid them to read meters? What happened to all the bond money for new meters that weren't purchased? Why do we have all those people in the water department if they haven't been reading meters.

This is the stuff someone should be asking the Mayor about at the next council meeting.

lol I love to see that.

Guest mangin supporter

Here is another post from 2004 (5 years ago). Obviously the Mayor knew that there were estimated bills being sent out and did nothing about it. This is incompetence. I'd like the Mayor to respond on this forum as to why he excused his friends from paying water bills while I had to pay the whole freight.

Mayor Santos said at his 2004 inaugural speech that "we can take pride in how our water department and municipal utilities authority have operated during the past year. Each generated a profit. We even wholesaled some of our surplus water to another municipality at a profit – for many years the town has been trying to sell surplus water but that goal eluded us until last year. This year, under the leadership of our new Water Superintendent, we will plan necessary repairs and improvements in our water transmission network. This will mean a moderate increase in water rates. However, because we implemented a three-tiered rate structure that imposes the highest rates on the biggest users of water, its impact will be felt in proportion to water usage."

The above is a bunch of lies. The Mayor apparently believes his own lies. The water department has not made a profit and is still paying United Water to send out estimated water bills. Check your bill it is estimated not an actual (consumption) bill.

As far as the KMUA, the mayor bonded over a 1 million dollars last year (all the commissioners are now his appointees), to purchase from the town the water pipes that have been in the ground for decades so he could bail himself out of his overspending at town hall. He and Mary Torres (President of Board of Ed and Assistanct to the Mayor) sit as Commissioners to the KMUA.

What Councilman Mangin is saying is true and the Mayor and the two councilwoman from the 2nd ward have no shame and will stop at nothing to keep the status quo. The Mayor is full of it and eventually the truth will be known. Keep up the good work councilman Mangin. Even the Portuguese will turn on the mayor when their taxes go through the roof.

Guest Water Fact Checker
Here is another post from 2004 (5 years ago). Obviously the Mayor knew that there were estimated bills being sent out and did nothing about it. This is incompetence. I'd like the Mayor to respond on this forum as to why he excused his friends from paying water bills while I had to pay the whole freight.

The law only allows you to go back 4 years and re-bill customers a higher amount. All accounts were billed, but some were billed too low because of the faulty telephone meters from the 1990s.

There are over 8,000 accounts in Kearny and less than 100 of those go back more than 4 years with estimated bills. That sounds like the probem was contained.

Water billing and collecting has generated annual surpluses for years.

Overall, it's very good management.

Archived