Water Dept.

Guest Citizen

Guest Want Info

Mr. Mangin,

Will you please tell us whether or not the Water Dept. has been operating in the red? Has the town been subsidizing it through general funds?

As for the KMUA, have they been bonding to help "bale out" the town?

Thank you for any info.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Wondering to
Mr. Mangin,

Will you please tell us whether or not the Water Dept. has been operating in the red?  Has the town been subsidizing it through general funds?

Thank you for any info.

Please, if you have any info on this subject we would like to know what's up to.

Thanks

What's he got to do with anything he is gone and retired.

He might be retired but let's see his Son-in-Law is a Councilman, and both his son's are on the Water Dept. one son is running the Water

dept. and daddy is probably pulling his strings, and Ferraioli is on the K M U A So do you really think he's gone?

What's he got to do with anything he is gone and retired.

He might be retired but let's see his Son-in-Law is a Councilman, and both his son's are on the Water Dept. one son is running the Water

dept. and daddy is probably pulling his strings, and Ferraioli is on the K M U A So do you really think he's gone?

I guess not. It would appear he's more in control then before. I wonder why Santos allows one person to have so much control? That is strange. But that might explain the county clerks job. Something is going on and what ever it is it's not good for the town. That you can take to the bank. I'd watch that seat on the KMUA. How covenient. The Town got it's water back or should I say Ferraioli got his water back. Yes something stinks big time.

I guess not. It would appear he's more in control then before. I wonder why Santos allows one person to have so much control? That is strange. But that might explain the county clerks job. Something is going on and what ever it is it's not good for the town. That you can take to the bank. I'd watch that seat on the KMUA. How covenient. The Town got it's water back or should I say Ferraioli got his water back. Yes something stinks big time.

They also forgot to mention that ******** works at the Water Dept also.

KOTW Note: The above post was edited for content.

I have to wonder just who the webmaster is........I've seen names mentioned....I've even seen swear words lately that haven't been edited for content but any time the word **** and ****** are mentioned at the Water Dept it's edited..I wonder why?

KOTW Note: The above post was edited for content again.

Guest Third warder

The irony about Santos getting back the Water dept is that taxpayers are paying $300,000+ to have United Water send out estimated bills. They look great now that they have Kearny's money to fund their billing department. United Water is not responsible for reading meters. They get that money just to send bills out and collect it. They probably make money off the float as well.

Meanwhile the Town hired back the Ferrailoli's and company to run the day to day of the Water Department. Without billing to do. With contracting out the work to Santos contractor friends, they have full time salaries for part time jobs. What exactly do these people do.

Mayor Santos criticized Mayor Vartan for selling the water department. But what Santos has done is far worse.

I have to wonder just who the webmaster is........I've seen names mentioned....I've even seen swear words lately that haven't been edited for content but any time the word **** and ****** are mentioned at the Water Dept it's edited..I wonder why?

KOTW Note: The above post was edited for content again.

Up until this point I liked this site......the two words that you edited are truthful how come it's perfectly okay to mention the sons and by name I might add....but the other two words are edited....the entire town knows about it...but then again it's the Ferraioli's what should we expect

Guest guest 109
The irony about Santos getting back the Water dept is that taxpayers are paying $300,000+ to have United Water send out estimated bills.  They look great now that they have Kearny's money to fund their billing department.  United Water is not responsible for reading meters.  They get that money just to send bills out and collect it.  They probably make money off the float as well.

Meanwhile the Town hired back the Ferrailoli's and company to run the day to day of the Water Department.  Without billing to do.  With contracting out the work to Santos contractor friends, they have full time salaries for part time jobs.  What exactly do these people do.

Mayor Santos criticized Mayor Vartan for selling the water department.  But what Santos has done is far worse.

I'm not sticking up for the Water Dept. but United does read the meters mostly by phone, as for using contractors to do the work if you read the Observer it said the Water Dept. was doing upgrades to the water system, new mains, hydrants, valves, etc., but what they are doing is using the contractors to do regular repairs which was never done in the past unless it was a capitol improvement or a major repair that the Water Dept. didnt have the equipment to do.

The irony about Santos getting back the Water dept is that taxpayers are paying $300,000+ to have United Water send out estimated bills.  They look great now that they have Kearny's money to fund their billing department.  United Water is not responsible for reading meters.  They get that money just to send bills out and collect it.  They probably make money off the float as well.

Meanwhile the Town hired back the Ferrailoli's and company to run the day to day of the Water Department.  Without billing to do.  With contracting out the work to Santos contractor friends, they have full time salaries for part time jobs.  What exactly do these people do.

Mayor Santos criticized Mayor Vartan for selling the water department.  But what Santos has done is far worse.

Good question, what do they do? They have it made that's for sure. I have one question, what is float ? please explaine. Thanks

Mr. Mangin,

Will you please tell us whether or not the Water Dept. has been operating in the red?  Has the town been subsidizing it through general funds?

Thank you for any info.

If you check the annual financial reports filed regarding the Water Dept. you can see that it has been running in the black for several years. Numbers don't lie. Or, do they?

If you're like me you might want to check on some of those numbers. Remember, we had back-to-back water rate increases in 2003 and 2004.

And our debt service for Water alone has grown from $890,000 in 2002 to $3,533,310 in 2005 (that's a 297% increase).

And what are we borrowing money for? Well among other things, water meters that were already 6 years old when we took out the loan for them. Those meters, which were installed in 1996 have an average useful life of 10 years. Stay tuned for more bonding for water meters again in 2006!

And don't forget the $440,000 that we are still owed from the East Orange Water Commission since 2001. That figure is shown as a receivable, which makes it an asset on the Water Dept's balance sheet. But, it's only an asset if we ever collect on it. And what about the interest? At 5% interest, that's another $100,000 that the EOWC owes us. Is anyone doing anything to collect this money and lighten the load on Kearny taxpayers? No, they're not.

In short, on paper the Water Dept is making money for the Town. And some of that money flows back to the municipal budget. But when you separate some of the fiction from the reality you get a truer picture of the financial condition of our Water Utility.

Jim Mangin

If you check the annual financial reports filed regarding the Water Dept. you can see that it has been running in the black for several years. Numbers don't lie. Or, do they?

If you're like me you might want to check on some of those numbers. Remember, we had back-to-back water rate increases in 2003 and 2004.

And our debt service for Water alone has grown from $890,000 in 2002 to $3,533,310 in 2005 (that's a 297% increase).

And what are we borrowing money for? Well among other things, water meters that were already 6 years old when we took out the loan for them. Those meters, which were installed in 1996 have an average useful life of 10 years. Stay tuned for more bonding for water meters again in 2006!

And don't forget the $440,000 that we are still owed from the East Orange Water Commission since 2001. That figure is shown as a receivable, which makes it an asset on the Water Dept's balance sheet. But, it's only an asset if we ever collect on it. And what about the interest? At 5% interest, that's another $100,000 that the EOWC owes us. Is anyone doing anything to collect this money and lighten the load on Kearny taxpayers? No, they're not.

In short, on paper the Water Dept is making money for the Town. And some of that money flows back to the municipal budget. But when you separate some of the fiction from the reality you get a truer picture of the financial condition of our Water Utility.

Jim Mangin

Question: Is the water dept. truely in the black or is it in the red? And is Ferraioli sr. paid a fee for consulting?

Question: Is the water dept. truely in the black or is it in the red? And is Ferraioli sr. paid a fee for consulting?

If you're asking my opinion, I'd have to say I honestly don't know.

I can say this. I do believe the Water Dept. is run very well. Rich Ferriaoli knows what he is doing and he is an excellent planner - which is exactly what that department needs.

But, Rich doesn't prepare the financial reports and it's those reports that I have a problem with.

Here's a question for anyone to answer. How much did it cost to get our Water Dept. back? Now, before anyone jumps all over me - I was (and still am) 1000% in favor of that department returning to Kearny.

But, how much were we told it cost and exactly how much did it actually cost?

Those two questions are no reflection on how the department is run, but they do help answer the question of its profitability.

Jim Mangin

If you're asking my opinion, I'd have to say I honestly don't know.

I can say this. I do believe the Water Dept. is run very well. Rich Ferriaoli knows what he is doing and he is an excellent planner - which is exactly what that department needs.

But, Rich doesn't prepare the financial reports and it's those reports that I have a problem with.

Here's a question for anyone to answer. How much did it cost to get our Water Dept. back? Now, before anyone jumps all over me - I was (and still am) 1000% in favor of that department returning to Kearny.

But, how much were we told it cost and exactly how much did it actually cost?

Those two questions are no reflection on how the department is run, but they do help answer the question of its profitability.

Jim Mangin

Who is the excellent planner Jr. or Sr.? And what are they planniing for? More contractors to do the work they are paid to do? Their planning alright but it is all about what they get not what the town gets. It's their cash cow they milk it daily as they have for years. You know that Jim!

Guest Mang-Warp 9

Fiction by Jim Mangin:

All of the new water department debt in the last 3 years is for NEW water mains being done as we speak on KING STREET (you certainly remember them when it's in your political interests), SCHUYLER COURT, DEVON TERRACE, WASHINGTON AVENUE among others. That's some 4,500 linear feet of 8 inch diameter water main pipe, 45 water valves, 90 house service lines and 30 fire hydrants in the past year alone. There was also the major repair to the water transmission line under the Passaic River.

More fiction by Jim Mangin:

And don't forget the $440,000 that we are still owed from the East Orange Water Commission since 2001. That figure is shown as a receivable, which makes it an asset on the Water Dept's balance sheet.

In the 2005 fiscal year, the Kearny Water Department collected 4,754,008 from water billing, which includes 327,000 from water sales to Cedar Grove. That's all actual cash that came in. That covered ALL expenses of the water utility, albeit with no room to spare. The East Orange receivable has NOTHING to do with the revenue actually collected by the Kearny Water Department during 2005. If East Orange ever pays that obligation, it would go to surplus.

Here's one amazing thought to ponder: Kearny has the LOWEST water rates in this region AND can operate its water department in the black AND at the same time make improvements to its water system.

Fiction by Jim Mangin:

All of the new water department debt in the last 3 years is for NEW water mains being done as we speak on KING STREET (you certainly remember them when it's in your political interests), SCHUYLER COURT, DEVON TERRACE, WASHINGTON AVENUE among others.  That's some 4,500 linear feet of 8 inch diameter water main pipe, 45 water valves, 90 house service lines and 30 fire hydrants in the past year alone.  There was also the major repair to the water transmission line under the Passaic River.

And don't forget the $440,000 that we are still owed from the East Orange Water Commission since 2001. That figure is shown as a receivable, which makes it an asset on the Water Dept's balance sheet.

In the 2005 fiscal year, the Kearny Water Department collected 4,754,008 from water billing, which includes 327,000 from water sales to Cedar Grove.  That's all actual cash that came in. That covered ALL expenses of the water utility, albeit with no room to spare.  The East Orange receivable has NOTHING to do with the revenue actually collected by the Kearny Water Department during 2005.  If East Orange ever pays that obligation, it would go to surplus.

Here's one amazing thought to ponder:  Kearny has the LOWEST water rates in this region AND can operate its water department in the black AND at the same time make improvements to its water system.

Is that with out bonding for these improvements? Or do you have to bond for the money.

Who is the excellent planner Jr. or Sr.? And what are they planniing for? More contractors to do the work they are paid to do? Their planning alright but it is all about what they get not what the town gets. It's their cash cow they milk it daily as they have for years. You know that Jim!

It's Senior pulling Jr's strings........everybody knows that.....without Daddy...Jr wouldn't have a leg to stand on. And don't forget backup son number 2....the one who gave up his own business to suddenly work for East Orange.....and then poof now he is on the water Dept....

Guest Municipal Finance 101
Is that with out bonding for these improvements? Or do you have to bond for the money.

Capital improvements are bonded for. That's why it's called a "capital" expense. Every capital improvement everywhere in the State is bonded for.

Fiction by Jim Mangin:

All of the new water department debt in the last 3 years is for NEW water mains being done as we speak on KING STREET (you certainly remember them when it's in your political interests), SCHUYLER COURT, DEVON TERRACE, WASHINGTON AVENUE among others.  That's some 4,500 linear feet of 8 inch diameter water main pipe, 45 water valves, 90 house service lines and 30 fire hydrants in the past year alone.  There was also the major repair to the water transmission line under the Passaic River.

In the 2005 fiscal year, the Kearny Water Department collected 4,754,008 from water billing, which includes 327,000 from water sales to Cedar Grove.  That's all actual cash that came in. That covered ALL expenses of the water utility, albeit with no room to spare.  The East Orange receivable has NOTHING to do with the revenue actually collected by the Kearny Water Department during 2005.  If East Orange ever pays that obligation, it would go to surplus.

Here's one amazing thought to ponder:  Kearny has the LOWEST water rates in this region AND can operate its water department in the black AND at the same time make improvements to its water system.

THANK YOU..OBVIOUSLY YOU ARE CONNECTED LOL

Archived