2 Spanish speaker seeking women

Guest DD

LOOK FOR YOUR INFORMATION I AM NOT NAMED IN THE STAR LEDGER OR THE JERSEY JOURNAL.BEEN HERE LONGER THAN YOU EVER WILL BE IF YOU DO NOT LIKE THE FACTS GET THE HELL OUT OF TOWN BEFORE THE ELECTION WE WILL BE HERE BEFORE AND AFTER.TAKE THE NEXT BOAT OUT.

70093[/snapback]

Is this all the intelligent comments you could make einstein???? OK yeah i am not named in the new papers yeah right, wipe that crap off your lips now cause the end is near TOM...... Ya Know What I mean shorty??????? wise posting. Thank You

AND YA KNOW WHAT? I AINT LEAVIN, IM A FIGHTER TILL THE END

sorry for you. closed minded a-hole

69966[/snapback]

Sad but true story! I retired as a Registered Nurse and decided to apply for a part time job as a cashier at the dollar store. I almost fainted when the owner informed me that I had to be bilingual for the job. I explained that I had just retired as an RN and worked with people my whole life and this was not nor ever been a prerequisite. Any way on my way out of the store I purchased headphones and asked for them in English and the cashier tells me no we don't got that, I had to point it out to her hanging on the wall behind her head. So I am guessing that you don't need to be bilingual, just spanish speaking. I guess a college degree doesn't mean shit anymore in this community. Hola, and down the drain we go...... :);):angry:

Pennsy plates, foreign drivers

Illegals skirting N.J. vehicle laws

Tuesday, October 30, 2007

BY BRIAN DONOHUE

Star-Ledger Staff

Colombo Rubio lives in Long Branch, a beachfront town about as far in New Jersey as you can get from the Pennsylvania border.

But the 50-year-old construction worker has Pennsylvania license plates on his black Toyota Tercel. And there are Pa. plates on the red Honda parked next to it on a recent morning in a laundromat parking lot. And the plates on the white construction van parked next to that? Pennsylvania.

The owners of those vehicles, like Rubio, are illegal immigrants.

Stymied by New Jersey's tough motor vehicle laws, they have traveled to states with more lax regulations to obtain the paperwork they need to get behind the wheel.

It's a tactic thousands have used, making the streets of many of New Jersey's immigrant neighborhoods look like a South Jersey Turnpike rest stop. Besides Pennsylvania, license plates from Maryland, North Carolina and Michigan abound.

In a car-choked state, it is a practice that grates on opponents of illegal immigration. And now, some public officials are vowing a crackdown.

Earlier this month, the Legislature passed a law designed help police curtail the practice. It gives drivers whose cars are registered in other states 60 days to register them in New Jersey or face a fine of up to $250. A second offense can run $500 fine; after a third summons, police can impound the driver's car.

The legislation tightened what officials described as a series of vague and loosely written rules that spelled out no specific penalties and gave police little or no power to impose fines or issue tickets specifically for not having proper registration.

"They work hard, but they are flouting the laws when it comes to motor vehicles," said Assemblyman Doug Fisher (D-Cumberland), a sponsor of the new law. He said the law "is not a silver bullet, but it is a tool to help a little bit."

Police concede the vehicle registration law will be a tough one to enforce.

That's because proving where a driver actually lives is a labor-intensive process that in some cases can only be done by staking out the person's house -- something police are unlikely to do for the equivalent of a traffic ticket.

Immigrant advocates and illegal drivers are watching the new law warily to gauge how aggressive police will be in enforcing it. Even with tougher penalties, most agree it won't stop people from driving in a state where their livelihood often depends on being able to get behind the wheel.

"I don't think it's going to make much of a difference," said Maria Juega, an attorney with the Princeton-based Latin American Legal Defense and Education Fund. "But in hostile municipalities who want to crack down, they'll use it."

By all accounts, the number of immigrants taking to the road with out-of-state paperwork has grown steadily since the state made it impossible for illegal immigrants to obtain licenses after the Sept. 11, 2001, terrorist attacks.

Under New Jersey law, a person cannot register a car without proof he or she is in the country legally.

To get around those laws, illegal drivers use a variety of schemes that range from legally nebulous to flatly fraudulent.

Some use licenses from their home countries to register cars in other states that will accept them, or pay friends with legal status to register theirs car for them.

Illegal immigrants without licenses often travel to states that issue licenses to people without Social Security numbers, including Hawaii, Maine, Michigan, New Mexico, Oregon, Utah and Washington. Some fly to those states, buy cars, register them there and drive them home.

One illegal immigrant interviewed in Newark said he recently took a plane to Seattle, took his driver's test and flew home with his license. He then registered his car and bought insurance in Massachusetts, where his wife maintained an address.

"Immigrants are trying to comply to the extent that they can with the law," said Juega. "They don't want to drive illegally, but they have to survive."

Like most other advocates on her side of the immigration debate, Juega argues the problems would be solved -- and road safety improved -- simply by letting illegal immigrants obtain a New Jersey driver's license. Legislation that would do just that has foundered in the Legislature due to lack of support.

Drivers like Rubio say they have no plans to pull their cars off the road.

The 50-year-old construction worker immigrated illegally from his home in the Mexican state of Puebla 13 years ago.

For his first decade in the country, he walked to work and took trains and buses, but decided to buy a car after he was mugged twice on the streets of Long Branch.

After buying the Tercel, he took his valid Mexican driver's license to Philadelphia, where he registered the car and obtained insurance. Unlike New Jersey, the Pennsylvania Department of Transportation lets drivers register cars with foreign licenses, according to policies posted on the agency's Web site.

These days, Rubio pays $70 a month for insurance. He plies the streets with a prayer card of the Virgin Mary tacked to the dashboard and his fingers crossed, hoping he doesn't get pulled over.

It happened once, when he was stopped for speeding and received a ticket for not having a valid license.

According to New Jersey Motor Vehicle Commission, foreign motorists with valid driver's licenses from their home countries are free to drive while visiting "as tourists." Rubio paid the ticket, but says he does not understand why police did not accept his Mexican driver's license.

"If an American tourist goes to Mexico, they can rent a car and drive with their license," he said. "I have insurance, I have a license. I'm not committing any crime."

Union City Police Chief Charles Everett says the biggest problem posed by illegal immigrants using bogus driving documents is that it makes it difficult, or often impossible, to track down the drivers of cars involved in accidents, especially hit and runs.

He said the new law could help, making it more likely that illegal drivers will have to appear in court and testify under oath about where they really reside. He echoed concerns that it will be difficult to enforce.

New Jersey's effort to crack down could be complicated by a proposal by New York Gov. Eliot Spitzer to issue special driver's permits to illegal immigrants. The cards would allow a person to drive, but could not be used as an official ID for functions like boarding airplanes.

Immigrant advocates predict many illegals living in New Jersey will either move to New York or use the addresses of friends or relatives there to obtain permits. And that could add the Empire State to the list of places illegal immigrants travel to get on the road in New Jersey.

Brian Donohue may be reached at bdonohue@starledger.com or (973)392-1543.

© 2007 The Star Ledger

© 2007 NJ.com All Rights Reserved.

Try harrison ave, in the morning ,all these illegals. its terrible

we even supply them benches NOW.

• 2 weeks later...
sorry for you. closed minded a-hole

69966[/snapback]

Have you heard of spanish speaking americans....dumb as*

because there is alot of us .....we are inteligent enought to speak more than one language.

WHY???? DO THE CITIZENS IN SPAIN OR THE SOUTH AMERICAN COUNTIES HAVE TO LEARN ENGLISH????    THEIR  FORMER RULERS WERE THE SPANISH SPEAKING KINGS OF SPAIN, WHILE THE USA WAS FORMERLY RULED BY THE ENGLISH SPEAKING KINGS OF ENGLAND.  WE AMERICANS DON'T GO TELLING THE SPANISH -SPEAKING COUNTRIES OF SOUTH & CENTRAL AMERICA TO START LEARNING ENGLISH, SO THEY SHOULD NOT TELL THE ENGLISH-SPEAKING USA TO START LEARNING SPANISH.    ANYONE IN EITHER COUNTRIES SHOULD BE FREE TO LEARN 'ANY' 2ND LANGUAGE THAT  THEY  CHOOSE, AND IT DOESN'T HAVE TO BE ENGLISH OR SPANISH.

70069[/snapback]

yes , but if you live in a country that first language is english then in order for you to live in conjunction with everyone else you must be able to understand and communicate verbally , exception for the hearing impaired. I am hispanic and i speak both languages i think if you want to be productive in this beautiful country of OURS we must speak english, but not severing our heritage ties . FYI to the ignorant individuals ,it is possible to be a hispanic american, love this county but not lose our hertiage .

Sad but true story! I retired as a Registered Nurse and decided to apply for a part time job as a cashier at the dollar store. I almost fainted when the owner informed me that I had to be bilingual for the job. I explained that I had just retired as an RN and worked with people my whole life and this was not nor ever been a prerequisite. Any way on my way out of the store I purchased headphones and asked for them in English and the cashier tells me no we don't got that, I had to point it out to her hanging on the wall behind her head. So I am guessing that you don't need to be bilingual, just spanish speaking. I guess a college degree doesn't mean shit anymore in this community. Hola, and down the drain we go...... :D  :angry:  :angry:

70155[/snapback]

The owner of the dollar store are indian ....and the girl that works for him is polish so stop blaming everything on the hispanics HOLA para ti estupida, idiota i bet you can read that and its in spanish , so hows that degree for you.

Pennsy plates, foreign drivers

Illegals skirting N.J. vehicle laws

Tuesday, October 30, 2007

BY BRIAN DONOHUE

Star-Ledger Staff

Colombo Rubio lives in Long Branch, a beachfront town about as far in New Jersey as you can get from the Pennsylvania border.

But the 50-year-old construction worker has Pennsylvania license plates on his black Toyota Tercel. And there are Pa. plates on the red Honda parked next to it on a recent morning in a laundromat parking lot. And the plates on the white construction van parked next to that? Pennsylvania.

The owners of those vehicles, like Rubio, are illegal immigrants.

Stymied by New Jersey's tough motor vehicle laws, they have traveled to states with more lax regulations to obtain the paperwork they need to get behind the wheel.

It's a tactic thousands have used, making the streets of many of New Jersey's immigrant neighborhoods look like a South Jersey Turnpike rest stop. Besides Pennsylvania, license plates from Maryland, North Carolina and Michigan abound.

In a car-choked state, it is a practice that grates on opponents of illegal immigration. And now, some public officials are vowing a crackdown.

Earlier this month, the Legislature passed a law designed help police curtail the practice. It gives drivers whose cars are registered in other states 60 days to register them in New Jersey or face a fine of up to $250. A second offense can run $500 fine; after a third summons, police can impound the driver's car.

The legislation tightened what officials described as a series of vague and loosely written rules that spelled out no specific penalties and gave police little or no power to impose fines or issue tickets specifically for not having proper registration.

"They work hard, but they are flouting the laws when it comes to motor vehicles," said Assemblyman Doug Fisher (D-Cumberland), a sponsor of the new law. He said the law "is not a silver bullet, but it is a tool to help a little bit."

Police concede the vehicle registration law will be a tough one to enforce.

That's because proving where a driver actually lives is a labor-intensive process that in some cases can only be done by staking out the person's house -- something police are unlikely to do for the equivalent of a traffic ticket.

Immigrant advocates and illegal drivers are watching the new law warily to gauge how aggressive police will be in enforcing it. Even with tougher penalties, most agree it won't stop people from driving in a state where their livelihood often depends on being able to get behind the wheel.

"I don't think it's going to make much of a difference," said Maria Juega, an attorney with the Princeton-based Latin American Legal Defense and Education Fund. "But in hostile municipalities who want to crack down, they'll use it."

By all accounts, the number of immigrants taking to the road with out-of-state paperwork has grown steadily since the state made it impossible for illegal immigrants to obtain licenses after the Sept. 11, 2001, terrorist attacks.

Under New Jersey law, a person cannot register a car without proof he or she is in the country legally.

To get around those laws, illegal drivers use a variety of schemes that range from legally nebulous to flatly fraudulent.

Some use licenses from their home countries to register cars in other states that will accept them, or pay friends with legal status to register theirs car for them.

Illegal immigrants without licenses often travel to states that issue licenses to people without Social Security numbers, including Hawaii, Maine, Michigan, New Mexico, Oregon, Utah and Washington. Some fly to those states, buy cars, register them there and drive them home.

One illegal immigrant interviewed in Newark said he recently took a plane to Seattle, took his driver's test and flew home with his license. He then registered his car and bought insurance in Massachusetts, where his wife maintained an address.

"Immigrants are trying to comply to the extent that they can with the law," said Juega. "They don't want to drive illegally, but they have to survive."

Like most other advocates on her side of the immigration debate, Juega argues the problems would be solved -- and road safety improved -- simply by letting illegal immigrants obtain a New Jersey driver's license. Legislation that would do just that has foundered in the Legislature due to lack of support.

Drivers like Rubio say they have no plans to pull their cars off the road.

The 50-year-old construction worker immigrated illegally from his home in the Mexican state of Puebla 13 years ago.

For his first decade in the country, he walked to work and took trains and buses, but decided to buy a car after he was mugged twice on the streets of Long Branch.

After buying the Tercel, he took his valid Mexican driver's license to Philadelphia, where he registered the car and obtained insurance. Unlike New Jersey, the Pennsylvania Department of Transportation lets drivers register cars with foreign licenses, according to policies posted on the agency's Web site.

These days, Rubio pays $70 a month for insurance. He plies the streets with a prayer card of the Virgin Mary tacked to the dashboard and his fingers crossed, hoping he doesn't get pulled over.

It happened once, when he was stopped for speeding and received a ticket for not having a valid license.

According to New Jersey Motor Vehicle Commission, foreign motorists with valid driver's licenses from their home countries are free to drive while visiting "as tourists." Rubio paid the ticket, but says he does not understand why police did not accept his Mexican driver's license.

"If an American tourist goes to Mexico, they can rent a car and drive with their license," he said. "I have insurance, I have a license. I'm not committing any crime."

Union City Police Chief Charles Everett says the biggest problem posed by illegal immigrants using bogus driving documents is that it makes it difficult, or often impossible, to track down the drivers of cars involved in accidents, especially hit and runs.

He said the new law could help, making it more likely that illegal drivers will have to appear in court and testify under oath about where they really reside. He echoed concerns that it will be difficult to enforce.

New Jersey's effort to crack down could be complicated by a proposal by New York Gov. Eliot Spitzer to issue special driver's permits to illegal immigrants. The cards would allow a person to drive, but could not be used as an official ID for functions like boarding airplanes.

Immigrant advocates predict many illegals living in New Jersey will either move to New York or use the addresses of friends or relatives there to obtain permits. And that could add the Empire State to the list of places illegal immigrants travel to get on the road in New Jersey.

Brian Donohue may be reached at bdonohue@starledger.com or (973)392-1543.

© 2007  The Star Ledger

© 2007 NJ.com All Rights Reserved.

Try harrison ave, in the morning ,all these illegals. its terrible

we even supply them benches NOW.

71363[/snapback]

Hello did you ask them for documentation, just because they are forein doent meant their illegal.

Have you heard of spanish speaking americans....dumb as*

because there is alot of us .....we are inteligent enought to speak more than one language.

72789[/snapback]

A-hole you may be inteligent enough to speak more than 1 language, but you are not inteligent enough to spell!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hello did you ask them for documentation, just because they are forein doent meant their illegal.

72793[/snapback]

you mean like your writing skills? what is that HELLO NICE SPELLING? ;)