Halloween Parade

Guest Guest_Mary Hoey_*

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It used to be a great parade when Joe Supor was involved. The jackasses that run the town now tossed Joe aside. Since then its all been downhill.

Now with Joe's passing, all we will ever have are memories of what the Halloween Parade meant to the community. Since the people in charge don't care about the town now, thats all we will have to hold on to.

Rest in peace Joe.

Come on down to Toms River on Oct 31St for the 2nd largest Halloween Parade in the nation with 6,000 marchers and 100,000 spectators. It's been going on for 60 years. Lets face it, Harrison is a depressed area and its bankrupt so how can they afford a parade. I'm glad I live on LBI. ^_^

You must have nothing to do in LBI if you have to be on Kearny on the web (HARRISON) miss us much.....you can move the trash to another town..but in the end it is still.....TRASH....

NOTHING IS FOREVER. THE WHOLE WORLD HAS CHANGED. GET INTO THE FUTURE AND GIVE UP LOOKING BACK AT THE PAST. iT AIN'T GOING TO COME BACK THE WAY IT USED TO. LBI IS VERY NICE THIS TIME OF YEAR. YOU SHOULD TRY IT.

O how conviniently we forget that there was a time when those same light skinned people were coming off the ships in the NY harbour..and .Ellis island being treated like lepers...and from what Ive read those WHITE EUROPEAN people were the riff raff of IRELAND,ITALY AND POLAND...the immigration problem was bad then too ...but everyone forgets those days because the riff raff was white ......boy I know that the past is the past and we should live and the here and know but not much has changed ...there was plenty of crime, teenage pregnancies , rapes and drugs ... it was just all hidden and the crime was ORGANIZED. SO please dont talk about anyone whose skin is not white enough,,,, this is america ...if you only want to see white skin them move your a.. to GERMANY...dont forget to shave your head .......

O how conviniently we forget that there was a time when those same light skinned people were coming off the ships in the NY harbour..and  .Ellis island being treated like lepers...and from what Ive read those WHITE EUROPEAN people were the riff raff of IRELAND,ITALY AND POLAND...the immigration problem was bad then too ...but everyone forgets those days because the riff raff was white ......boy I know that the past is the past and we should live and the here and know but not much has changed ...there was plenty of crime, teenage pregnancies , rapes and drugs ... it was just all hidden and the crime was ORGANIZED. SO please dont talk about anyone whose skin is not white enough,,,, this is america ...if you only want to see white skin them move your a.. to GERMANY...dont forget to shave your head .......

at least those riff raffs learned how to speak English or did their best to speak English. Now the riff raff comming in doesn't speak English and thanks to our goverment they don't have too.

O how conviniently we forget that there was a time when those same light skinned people were coming off the ships in the NY harbour..and  .Ellis island being treated like lepers...and from what Ive read those WHITE EUROPEAN people were the riff raff of IRELAND,ITALY AND POLAND...the immigration problem was bad then too ...but everyone forgets those days because the riff raff was white ......boy I know that the past is the past and we should live and the here and know but not much has changed ...there was plenty of crime, teenage pregnancies , rapes and drugs ... it was just all hidden and the crime was ORGANIZED. SO please dont talk about anyone whose skin is not white enough,,,, this is america ...if you only want to see white skin them move your a.. to GERMANY...dont forget to shave your head .......

How does the post you replied to warrant racism on your part?

It used to be a great parade when Joe Supor was involved.  The jackasses that run the town now tossed Joe aside.  Since then its all been downhill.

Now with Joe's passing, all we will ever have are memories of what the Halloween Parade meant to the community.  Since the people in charge don't care about the town now, thats all we will have to hold on to.

Rest in peace Joe.

I don't know how his family may feel about it but what a great tribute it would be to bring back the Halloween parade in honor of him. I didn't know the man but I hear he was gentleman of gentlemen.

I'm tired of reading on this site, and in the newspapers about immigrants wanting to come here to make a better life for themselves, and how we all are here because our parents / grandparents / great-grandparents etc were immigrants.

First, they came here LEGALLY....meaning they got on a ship / plane whichever, came to the USA, went and got their papers to stay and MOST became AMERICAN citizens.

They did not come here on a raft / jump a fence / hide in a trunk of a car etc and go get the modern day "papers"....WELFARE! That's called ILLEGAL!

Second, they came here and WORKED...appreciated the American way of life, AND RESPECTED this country.

They didn't have welfare / foodstamps / WIC handed to them. Nor were they able to get an apartment at a lower rent, called Section 8. Yes there are Americans (white, black, polish, irish, hispanic ALL LEGAL) that are on welfare but I can guarantee you; you go to any welfare office in the USA and you will see the AMERICANS are in the minority in that office.

Third, they learned the English language which, if you didn't notice is the language we Americans have used as our primary language.

Fourth, crime, for starters the people involved in "organized crime" did NOT kill / maime / injure INNOCENT people with a drive - by / stray bullet etc....they killed / hurt each other ~ NOT innocent women / children / men walking down the street minding their business, being shot so a person can get "initiated" into their gang....or because of the color of their clothing or the way they walked or because they looked at somebody. The "riff-raff" you speak of fought with their fist, NOT guns. Of course the riff-raff I speak of had their battles with the Ghetto Boys. NEVER seen a gun amongst them. As for "shaving heads" to move to Germany, one only needs to move to Anytown USA and see EVERY ethnic race with shaved heads.

When the people came from Germany, Italy, Poland, Portugal, Spain etc they were NOT given an option to PRESS 1 for English PRESS 2 for German PRESS 3 for Italian etc. And ALL these other luxuries the ILLEGAL people are getting. So, if anything I would say my paternal grandparents and maternal great-grandparents were discrimnated against.

So, let me put this ALL in perspective for you.

Immigrants of yesteryear, came here LEGALLY. Immigrants of yesteryear WORKED to better themselves NOT DEMAND more from us. Immigrants of yesteryear were PROUD to be Americans. Immigrants of yesterday were THANKFUL for the opportunity that was GIVEN them. Immigrants of yesteryear LEARNED the ENGLISH language. Immigrants of yesteryear made the USA what it is today....NOT sucked it dry e.g. medical / welfare / ALL insurance.

You can construe this as being racist and if being against ILLEGAL people entering MY country taking MY money and ABUSING OUR system, makes me a racist....then so be it.....I'll be known as a racist against ILLEGAL PEOPLE entering this country ILLEGALLY from which ever country they came from.

I remember going to school with LEGAL immigrants from Poland, Portugal and Spain...who were PROUD to be here, and RESPECTED people and our country. But not the ILLEGAL people coming today, MOST are looking for the AMERICAN DREAM....a WELFARE CHECK AND FREE RIDE.

Okay, Im off my soapbox....I'm sure there are some who will dissect my grammar / spelling etc but people that have a BRAIN, will understand my point.

The teachers don't leave in town anymore, when the children were in the parade, it was a must the schools participation, it was a must that the teachers had to make sure the children were line up by the schools and the teachers marched with their classroom along the avenue, and it was really something to be proud, at this moment it will not happen.

What in God's name are you talking about? I grew up in Harrison, went to school in Harrison and every year participated in the parade! I was not made to do anything, I willing did it and enjoyed it. All my cousins that lived in Livingston, West Caldwell, East Hanover etc... all came to Harrison's parade because it was the best! I graduated in the 1970's and a couple of years ago I came to Harrison for the parade and boy was I in for a rude awakening, what a disappointment that the town did away with the parade. Come on people, you can start something on your own, you don't really need politicians marching down the Ave taking up space that a child in costume can show off and march. Boy times have changed and sad to say not for the better... B):P:(

I'm tired of reading on this site, and in the newspapers about immigrants wanting to come here to make a better life for themselves, and how we all are here because our parents / grandparents / great-grandparents etc were immigrants.

First, they came here LEGALLY....meaning they got on a ship / plane whichever,  came to the USA, went and got their papers to stay and MOST became AMERICAN citizens.

They did not come here on a raft / jump a fence / hide in a trunk of a car etc and go get the modern day "papers"....WELFARE! That's called ILLEGAL!

Second, they came here and WORKED...appreciated the American way of life, AND RESPECTED this country.

They didn't have welfare / foodstamps / WIC handed to them. Nor were they able to get an apartment at a lower rent, called Section 8. Yes there are Americans (white, black, polish, irish, hispanic ALL LEGAL) that are on welfare but I can guarantee you; you go to any welfare office in the USA and you will see the AMERICANS are in the minority in that office.

Third, they learned the English language which, if you didn't notice is the language we Americans have used as our primary language.

Fourth, crime, for starters the people involved in "organized crime" did NOT kill / maime / injure INNOCENT people with a drive - by / stray bullet etc....they killed / hurt each other ~  NOT innocent women / children / men walking down the street minding their business, being shot so a person can get "initiated" into their gang....or because of the color of their clothing or the way they walked or because they looked at somebody. The "riff-raff" you speak of fought with their fist, NOT guns. Of course the riff-raff I speak of had their battles with the Ghetto Boys. NEVER seen a gun amongst them. As for "shaving heads" to move to Germany, one only needs to move to Anytown USA and see EVERY ethnic race with shaved heads.

When the people came from Germany, Italy, Poland, Portugal, Spain etc they were NOT given an option to PRESS 1 for English PRESS 2 for German PRESS 3 for Italian etc. And ALL these other luxuries the ILLEGAL people are getting. So, if anything I would say my paternal grandparents and maternal great-grandparents were discrimnated against.

Immigrants of yesteryear, came here LEGALLY. Immigrants of yesteryear WORKED to better themselves NOT DEMAND more from us. Immigrants of yesteryear were PROUD to be Americans. Immigrants of yesterday were THANKFUL for the opportunity that was GIVEN them. Immigrants of yesteryear LEARNED the ENGLISH language. Immigrants of yesteryear made the USA what it is today....NOT sucked it dry e.g. medical / welfare / ALL insurance.

You can construe this as being racist and if being against ILLEGAL people entering MY country taking MY money and ABUSING OUR system, makes me a racist....then so be it.....I'll be known as a racist against ILLEGAL PEOPLE entering this country ILLEGALLY from which ever country they came from.

I remember going to school with LEGAL immigrants from Poland, Portugal and Spain...who were PROUD to be here, and RESPECTED people and our country. But not the ILLEGAL people coming today, MOST are looking for the AMERICAN DREAM....a WELFARE CHECK AND FREE RIDE.

Okay, Im off my soapbox....I'm sure there are some who will dissect my grammar / spelling etc but people that have a BRAIN, will understand my point.

That is the best post this web site has ever seen!

What in God's name are you talking about? I grew up in Harrison, went to school in Harrison and every year participated in the parade! I was not made to do anything, I willing did it and enjoyed it. All my cousins that lived in Livingston, West Caldwell, East Hanover etc... all came to Harrison's parade because it was the best! I graduated in the 1970's and a couple of years ago I came to Harrison for the parade and boy was I in for a rude awakening, what a disappointment that the town did away with the parade. Come on people, you can start something on your own, you don't really need politicians marching down the Ave taking up space that a child in costume can show off and march. Boy times have changed and sad to say not for the better... :(  :(  :(

sorry to burst your bubble the town has no money and gave it away to all the developers!!! the y should be paying for something. they got something for basically nothing(Cheap housing) Dont worry there will be many more tax incrreases over the next few years do not let them fool yaah!!!!! as far as the parade i think they could have solicited from the businesses or the developers to fund the parade. maybe next year!!!!! (yeah right)

where are you from?  the town has not money, the town has not valatiers, the town has not joe supor trucks to ride on the avenue, that was the only thing in the parade in the last few years, AND YOU EXPECT TO HAVE A PARADE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

As a business man who contributed every year to the parade I have to wonder where the volunteers went that used to run the parade? Also, why more businesses didn't contribute, that's right most have sadly moved from town or are thinking about it. That is the ones that made monetary contributions. VERY VERY SAD TOO BAD THE REDEVELOPMENT HASN'T TAKEN PLACE THAT'S THIS TOWNS LAST HOPE! AND WHY NOT????????? ANYONE KNOW???? It's our only hope!!!

at least those riff raffs learned how to speak English or did their best to speak English. Now the riff raff comming in doesn't speak English and thanks to our goverment they don't have too.

Ditto - and they got jobs as masons or cops or fireman. NOW YOU HAVE TO BE BLACK AND FROM NEWARK TO GET HIRED IN HARRISON!!!!!

sorry to burst your bubble the town has no money and gave it away to all the developers!!! the y should be paying for something. they got something for basically nothing(Cheap housing)  Dont worry there will be many more tax incrreases over the next few years do not let them fool yaah!!!!!  as far as the parade i think they could have solicited from the businesses or the developers to fund the parade.  maybe next year!!!!!  (yeah right)

THE BUSINESSES THAT HAVEN'T LEFT TOWN AND THE DEVELOPS ARE YOUR LAST HOPE! The Mayor and others have worked hard and diligently to get the Redevelopment started, they are not responsible for the contaiminated soil or the country's present economic situation! The Redevelopment Agency and the Planning Board are VOLUNTEERS doing their best to get the redevelopment kickstarted!

Why not try being part of the solution for a change, and not always making problems.

Nothing negative has been said about hard working immigrants bustings their butts for what they got. The problem is is that is you are Indian, African, Spanish, or certain other other groups you have a better chance of hitting the lottery than getting on the payroll in Harrison. Jobs are not posted, resumes are not considered and race is DEFINATELY an issue. Positions are created, not opened for the best candidate. Just look at Tom Powell and you can see this. What does he do? Was the position posted? Were resumes considered? HELL NO!! He is white and the Mayors little yes man, thats all. I know you will never see this post but at least I got to blow offf some steam. OK moderator, you can censor it now.

That is the best post this web site has ever seen!

YES.THOSE LEGAL IMMIGRANTS ARE RUNNING THE COUNTRY NOW, AND THEY ARE TO BE BLAME FOR THE FOOD STAMPS, THE FREE SCHOOLS AND THE WELFARE. IF YOU GO TO ANY OF THOSE COUNTRIES AND YOU HAVE CHILDREN THEY HAVE TO GO TO A PRIVATE SCHOOL , AND YOU HAVE TO PAY FOR HEALTH CARE AND YOU CAN NOT HOLD A JOB.

Guest had enough
sorry to burst your bubble the town has no money and gave it away to all the developers!!! the y should be paying for something. they got something for basically nothing(Cheap housing)  Dont worry there will be many more tax incrreases over the next few years do not let them fool yaah!!!!!  as far as the parade i think they could have solicited from the businesses or the developers to fund the parade.  maybe next year!!!!!  (yeah right)

you people are just harrison's f*ck ups, argue about how we have an invasion of unemployed criminals moving in. yes , using our school system our town programs and now our housing. that's right criminals who are hiding out in our town. why because no one checks anymore who they are. it's all about the money. why care because i happen to love this town or what use to be. the town that frank built and took care of. think about improving this town there are plenty of issues happening.bitchin about it here solves nothing. yes i do attend the meetings. every time i see less faces show up. somehow with all this corruption in hudson county it's time someone took control. :(

First, they came here LEGALLY....meaning they got on a ship / plane whichever,  came to the USA, went and got their papers to stay and MOST became AMERICAN citizens.

Fourth, crime, for starters the people involved in "organized crime" did NOT kill / maime / injure INNOCENT people with a drive - by / stray bullet etc....they killed / hurt each other ~  NOT innocent women / children / men walking down the street minding their business, being shot so a person can get "initiated" into their gang....or because of the color of their clothing or the way they walked or because they looked at somebody. The "riff-raff" you speak of fought with their fist, NOT guns. Of course the riff-raff I speak of had their battles with the Ghetto Boys. NEVER seen a gun amongst them. As for "shaving heads" to move to Germany, one only needs to move to Anytown USA and see EVERY ethnic race with shaved heads.

could not agree more. AMEN

Honey ,riff raff is riff raff whether they speak english or not .....so i guess you rather be raped or killed by an english speaking person ,,,What? Do you need to feel connected with the riff raff? .....there is good and bad in every race , for some reason caucasians blame all the problems of the country on the other races ....they forget that in this country 65% of the inmates are white ...and all but one of the seriel killers is white ....the country is run by ....you guessed it a " white president" ...Im sorry to have made this a racial issue , but im sick and tired of the hispanics getting blames for everything.

Yeah and you know this because ....you were there?, or because your history teacher taught it to you. Not all immigrants from today come here illegally , just so you know. And the reason the immigrants from YESTERYEAR came here legally is because in YESTERYEAR this country had an open door policy , that let everyone in with visas and if you had kids here you were automatically eligible to become a resident. yes times are diffrent , and of course crime is worse.

But you speak as the crime from before was ok ,crime is crime,whether it was 75 yrs ago or 75 min ago ...I think WE the people should stop complaining and do something about the situation most people complain about crime and the issues in town but no one tries to change it , report kids walking outside late , volunteer in school functions ,pick up trash in the street if you see it , kids learn from us , have you seen half of the parents now , they dont care what their kids do, it not a racial issue it happens with anyone . Moms work now before they stood home , kid are home alone to do whatever they want.

So when you say organized crime didnt kill innocent people, what do you say to the families of the dead who were killed while they were eating in restaurants that were being shot at ...please respond i woul dl ike to hear that

Yeah they all worked ...there were no lazy people back then ,and only GOOD criminals, and they all learned english ....what country are you talking about again ,,,the one in your dreams or maybe wishful thinking GO TO ELLIS ISLAND ...read their chronicles ,,,then come back and tell me more of your fantasies