Franklin Ave

Guest Valerie

Guest Valerie

I drove passed franklin ave yesterda to see 3 spanish kids walking up the street smoking a blunt???? where are the cops??? from what I hear this goes on every day on franklin ave

I drove  passed franklin ave yesterda to see 3 spanish kids  walking up the street smoking a blunt????  where are the cops???  from what I hear this goes on every day on franklin ave

SPANISH!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I AM SURE AN AMERICAN DRUG DEALER DID A GOOD DEAL

DO NOT LABLE PEOPLE!!!!!!!!! IT IS NOT GOOD

I drove  passed franklin ave yesterda to see 3 spanish kids  walking up the street smoking a blunt????  where are the cops???  from what I hear this goes on every day on franklin ave

drove "passed" franklin ave "yesterda" ? Pathetic.

I agree, that should be stopped, so why didnt you just call the cops? Thats the logical way they would have gotten their since we dont have cops at every corner (and wouldnt want them either). Also, was it really necessary to point out the kids nationality. Thats completely irrelevent and taints the tone of your topic.

Kids smoking marihuana on Franklin Ave. is a daily event. I'm sure it is also happening in other parts of town. This is a great example for younger kids who have to walk past these groups of role models who openly flaunt the law.

What's needed here is more training in drug enforcement for our police officers. We need to send more of our young officers to narcotic training schools before we have an epidemic on our hands.

Franklin Ave. has always been a rough neighborhood, maybe what's needed is a camera.

Kids should not smoke cigars. Especially if they are under age. You have to be 18 years old to smoke.

Kids smoking marihuana on Franklin Ave. is a daily event.  I'm sure it is also happening in other parts of town.  This is a great example for younger kids who have to walk past these groups of role models who openly flaunt the law.

What's needed here is more training in drug enforcement for our police officers.  We need to send more of our young officers to narcotic training schools before we have an epidemic on our hands.

Franklin Ave. has always been a rough neighborhood, maybe what's needed is a camera.

FRANKLIN AVE HAS NOT ALWAYS BEEN A ROUGH NEIGHBORHOOD.... IT'S THE PEOPLE WHO LIVE THERE THAT MAKE IT THAT WAY. I GREW UP ON FRANKLIN AVE. AND I CAN REMEMBER WHEN THE LITTLE KIDS COULD RIDE THERE BIKES UP AND DOWN THE STREET WITH THE MOMS SITTING OUTSIDE CHATTING WITH THEIR NEIGHBORS. YEAH, IT HAS ALWAYS BEEN HOME TO PEOPLE WHO DIDN'T HAVE MUCH, BUT EVERY APT. I EVER VISITED WAS ALWAYS NEAT AND TIDY. BACK THEN, PEOPLE CARED... LOOK AT THE GHETTO TRASH THAT LIVES THERE NOW... IT'S JUST LIKE NEWARK. AND WHO'S TOO BLAME?????????? THE SLUMLORDS WHO RENT TO THESE LOW LIFE PEOPLE. I SHOULD ALSO SAY, MOST OF THEM ARE ILLEGAL IMMIGRANTS. SEE HOW MANY PEOPLE LIVE IN THE 4 OR 5 RAILROAD ROOMS??????? I BET YOU COULD FIND 20 PEOPLE LIVING THERE EASILY.

Kids should not smoke cigars. Especially if they are under age. You have to be 18 years old to smoke.

"kids"!!!!!!!!

The first thing to do is to have sommer programs for the "kids". Put some tax payers money into recreation and get the parents involve in the programs, remember there used to be a program that the high school seniors boys and girls use to get two weeks each (with pay) and have arts and craft , fishing or playing games during the sommer, it was a very good entretaiment for the "kids"

PLEASE lets not make a racial issue of this. That is what make the "kids" get into GANGS and the rest is the figts and the killing on the streets

If the Councilman smoke, how do you tell their kids not too? The Council members should have to take a drug test because they represent the Town. Bad example of not leading by your actions. Clean up governemnt and maybe the kids will understand that drugs are not the answer.

"kids"!!!!!!!!

The first thing to do is to have sommer programs for the "kids".  Put some tax payers money into recreation and get the parents involve in the programs, remember there used to be a program that the high school seniors boys and girls use to get two weeks each (with pay) and have arts and craft , fishing or playing games during the sommer, it was a very good entretaiment for the "kids"

PLEASE lets not make a racial issue of this.  That is what make the "kids" get into GANGS and the rest is the figts and the killing on the streets

No money for that. There is a soccer stadium being built. That is the priority of the town. Not kids.

FRANKLIN AVE HAS NOT ALWAYS BEEN A ROUGH NEIGHBORHOOD.... IT'S THE PEOPLE WHO LIVE THERE THAT MAKE IT THAT WAY.  I GREW UP ON FRANKLIN AVE. AND I CAN REMEMBER WHEN THE LITTLE KIDS COULD RIDE THERE BIKES UP AND DOWN THE STREET WITH THE MOMS SITTING OUTSIDE CHATTING WITH THEIR NEIGHBORS.  YEAH, IT HAS ALWAYS BEEN HOME TO PEOPLE WHO DIDN'T HAVE MUCH, BUT EVERY APT. I EVER VISITED WAS ALWAYS NEAT AND TIDY.  BACK THEN, PEOPLE CARED... LOOK AT THE GHETTO TRASH THAT LIVES THERE NOW... IT'S JUST LIKE NEWARK.  AND WHO'S TOO BLAME?????????? THE SLUMLORDS WHO RENT TO THESE LOW LIFE PEOPLE.  I SHOULD ALSO SAY, MOST OF THEM ARE ILLEGAL IMMIGRANTS.  SEE HOW MANY PEOPLE LIVE IN THE 4 OR 5 RAILROAD ROOMS???????  I BET YOU COULD FIND 20 PEOPLE LIVING THERE EASILY.

Thats because the slumlords are these low life people.

FRANKLIN AVE HAS NOT ALWAYS BEEN A ROUGH NEIGHBORHOOD.... IT'S THE PEOPLE WHO LIVE THERE THAT MAKE IT THAT WAY.  I GREW UP ON FRANKLIN AVE. AND I CAN REMEMBER WHEN THE LITTLE KIDS COULD RIDE THERE BIKES UP AND DOWN THE STREET WITH THE MOMS SITTING OUTSIDE CHATTING WITH THEIR NEIGHBORS.  YEAH, IT HAS ALWAYS BEEN HOME TO PEOPLE WHO DIDN'T HAVE MUCH, BUT EVERY APT. I EVER VISITED WAS ALWAYS NEAT AND TIDY.  BACK THEN, PEOPLE CARED... LOOK AT THE GHETTO TRASH THAT LIVES THERE NOW... IT'S JUST LIKE NEWARK.  AND WHO'S TOO BLAME?????????? THE SLUMLORDS WHO RENT TO THESE LOW LIFE PEOPLE.  I SHOULD ALSO SAY, MOST OF THEM ARE ILLEGAL IMMIGRANTS.  SEE HOW MANY PEOPLE LIVE IN THE 4 OR 5 RAILROAD ROOMS???????  I BET YOU COULD FIND 20 PEOPLE LIVING THERE EASILY.

I also lived on Franklin Ave. a long time ago. I remember gangs like the Bad Pollacks, the Bone Crushers, The Ghetto Boys, and even the girl gangs, the Angry Angels, The Dynamite Debbs, and Satins Daughters. The landlords were blamed for renting to trash even back then.

But like you said, moms, and pops, sat on the stoop drinking beer and watching their kids. Now there are few pops involved and kids are just let out to roam as they please.

Buy the way a "blunt" is a marihuana cigarette, not a cigar.

If you go back to Franklin Ave. You will find a lot of empty apartments because of high rents, caused by high taxes and water bills. Landlords don't have much choices and will rent to anyone they can. If you notice this is not just happening on Franklin Ave, but all over town.

You will find that not only Franklin Avenue has changed, but Harrison has changed.

"kids"!!!!!!!!

The first thing to do is to have sommer programs for the "kids".  Put some tax payers money into recreation and get the parents involve in the programs, remember there used to be a program that the high school seniors boys and girls use to get two weeks each (with pay) and have arts and craft , fishing or playing games during the sommer, it was a very good entretaiment for the "kids"

PLEASE lets not make a racial issue of this.  That is what make the "kids" get into GANGS and the rest is the figts and the killing on the streets

For the most part, but not in all cases. Bad Parenting makes for Bad Kids, why are there 12 yr olds out on the street at 1 or 2 am in the morning? Where are the Parents. Without proper guidence kids will go astray. Summer programs can't work if the kids don't attend, part of the downfall is that when a kid reaches the age of 12 and older, they don't want to attend these programs. If parents would start being parents instead of friends to their kids,maybe we will see some improvement.

For the most part, but not in all cases. Bad Parenting makes for Bad Kids, why are there 12 yr olds out on the street at 1 or 2 am in the morning? Where are the Parents.  Without proper guidence kids will go astray. Summer programs can't work if the kids don't attend, part of the downfall is that when a kid reaches the age of 12 and older, they don't want to attend these programs. If parents would start being parents instead of friends to their kids,maybe we will see some improvement.

I don't understand this part "if parents would star being parents instead of friends to their kids" I consider that being a friend to your kid is the only way you can get to know their friends and what they are doing. The other part is that the Town of Harrison has a curfew and at 11:00 p.m. no minor is to be walking the streets alone. The Town of Harrison is not all the way a bad town to live in, we just need to understand that as soon as the town was declared a distres town, the low income polulation started to move in, and with the mother and the father both working the kids have a bigger opportunity to be unsupervised, there is where the law has to be enforce and no kids be alowed to walk the streets alone.

I also lived on Franklin Ave. a long time ago.  I remember gangs like the Bad Pollacks, the Bone Crushers, The Ghetto Boys, and even the girl gangs, the Angry Angels, The Dynamite Debbs, and Satins Daughters.  The landlords were blamed for renting to trash even back then.

But like you said, moms, and pops, sat on the stoop drinking beer and watching their kids.  Now there are few pops involved and kids are just let out to roam as they please.

Buy the way a "blunt" is a marihuana cigarette, not a cigar.

If you go back to Franklin Ave. You will find a lot of empty apartments because of high rents, caused by high taxes and water bills.  Landlords don't have much choices and will rent to anyone they can. If you notice this is not just happening on Franklin Ave, but all over town. 

You will find that not only Franklin Avenue has changed, but Harrison has changed.

So what your really saying is that the town will be a section 8 mess by the time everything is completed? i could have told you that, check out the the new hhs even it's foundation is bad to the core. look......nothing hurts the kids more then denial and apparently alot of people have those glasses on. parents, teachers, leaders. franklin avenue crime will expand until the leaders realize that one cop beat can not control sh*t. hell at the rate crime has picked up in that area it's no wonder we haven't had any drive by shooting yet. come on folks our leaders are to blame and every election you people with the mouths bend over for good old ray. you get what you pay for!

harrison is no longer a safe town, realize that and sell whenever possible! i'm sure those section 8 checks will be welcomed by the mayor and leaders. keep building those drug infested social clubs and keep those illegals happy give them every right possible hell marry your sons and daugthers off to them.SEE WHAT YOUR LEFT WITH?

A few employees of the BOE (Past and Present) are the owners of much of that block.

drove "passed" franklin ave "yesterda" ?  Pathetic.

AGAIN, IF THEY WERE FORCED TO LIVE IN THIS TOWN, THEY WOULD DO A BETTER JOB. THEY DON'T LIVE HERE, THEY DON'T CARE. IF THEIR KIDS LIVED IN THIS TOWN, THEY WOULD CARE. BUT IT IS AGAINST THIER CONSTITIONAL RIGHT, SO WE SUFFER.

I don't understand this part  "if parents would star being parents instead of friends to their kids"  I consider that being a friend to your kid is the only way you can get to know their friends and what they are doing.  The other part is that the Town of Harrison has a curfew and at 11:00 p.m. no minor is to be walking the streets alone.  The Town of Harrison is not all the way a bad town to live in, we just need to understand that as soon as the town was declared a distres town, the low income polulation started to move in, and with the mother and the father both  working the kids have a bigger opportunity to be unsupervised, there is where the law has to be enforce and no kids be alowed to walk the streets alone.

You need to be their friend in order to know their friends and know what they are doing? you got to be kidding me. I raised 6 kids whom are all adults now and all doing good, I was a parent and not a friend [peer] and I knew all their friends and the friends parents. I always kept up to date on what they were doing and where they were. Since I know longer have children in town, I was not aware of a curfew.but again this is the job for parents to control their children, it is not the job of the police. Low income has nothing to do with it. I am low income and had no problem with my children. In my day every neighbor looked out for all children, but nowadays, the word is NOT MY KID! He or She can be caught red handed and the parents will take the word of their kid and stay in denial. Not to long ago I went to a parent to tell them something I had seen there 8yr old doing what I believed no parent of an 8yr old would allow and I was told to mine my own business.

So from now on that's what I do If the parents don't care and can't control their kids, let the brats beat each other up. from here on I look the other way.

You need to be their friend in order to know their friends and know what they are doing? you got to be kidding me. I raised 6 kids whom are all adults now and all doing good, I was a parent and not a friend [peer] and I knew all their friends and the friends parents. I always kept up to date on what they were doing and where they were. Since I know longer have children in town, I was not aware of a curfew.but again this is the job for parents to control their children, it is not the job of the police. Low income has nothing to do with it. I am low income and had no problem with my children. In my day every neighbor looked out for all children, but nowadays, the word is  NOT MY KID! He or She can be caught red handed and the parents will take the word of their kid and stay in denial. Not to long ago I went to a parent to tell them something I had seen there 8yr old doing what I believed no parent of an 8yr old would allow and I was told to mine my own business.

So from now on that's what I do If the parents don't care and can't control their kids, let the brats beat each other up. from here on I look the other way.

You just said it right, now they are adults, and you are right, those were the days when we lived in Town and knew every body, and we had a good relation with the neibors, but now if your are an elegal resident you don't want to talk to anybody, because you don't want anybody to know you, and most of the old residents live down the shore and don't want to have anything to do with the inmigrants and is who live in town know, it good had been a very hard job for at this time with six kids, it is not the same, and I insist that I wantmy kids friend, that is not telling you thatI let my kids do what ever they want I have my own curfew, still I think for the ones that don't have it is good that police enforce it.

How do you know they are illegal did you ask to see their papers, aot of them are puerto ricans , who are americans ,and alot of them are the teenage kids of people who grew up in this town, the white girls who marry black boys and ricans from newark tak a good look ....you might see you neice