A question for Matthew's classmates

Guest Tom

Guest Melanie
I would tell him my religion is a very personal thing and I would listen attentively like I do in all subjects and formulate my own opinions.  Whether they are brought up in class or not is my decision.  And from the class discussions there were no attacks from either side, verbal or otherwise. You were not there.  At no time during this class discussion did Matthew or Mr. P bring up the subject of the Constitution, so that was not an issue. I would ask the interviewer to review the tapes for himself for him to make his own assessment. I think my own character stands for itself and I do have creativity and imagination. And I am sure I would tell the benefits of how I could be an asset to this college. 

And especially at the end of this interviewer speech to me I would make sure to get his name and number and notify this college of his interview tactics. This teacher has been teaching for a number of years with a large number of students getting accepted to great institutions like MIT and similar.  I would say that Mr. P's  teachings have not effected in any way how successful the other students who have passed through the halls of Kearny High.  I hope to be one of those success stories.  Matthew's handling and my own opinions of how he mishandled or handled it, have no effect on me.

That is what I would tell him, Sir.

You have to be kidding me. No, this kid is serious. Telling someone they belong in isn't a personal attack.

You speak your mind to that interviewer, kid, Make sure you don't leave anything out.

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You are a very difficult person to figure out.  In reading nearly all your posts in this forum, you are against religion and be belief of the existence of god.  And yet here you say this teacher is trying to abandon Matthew against the religion you raised him too.  So I wonder what religion did you raise him too since you do not believe in god?

Wow. Not all religions are theistic (or believe in the Christian God, especially), buddy--what rock (or church, for that matter) have you been living under that you don't know that?

Somewhere here there is a major disconnect.

Yes, the disconnect is between your mind and reality.

Guest Melanie
That's one good point that nobody seems to mention.  Why didn't Matt just lay his recorder right down on top of his desk? It may have stopped Mr. P from preaching right then and there.  If Mr. P continued preaching then Matt would have his record to protect himself.

But I guess those weren't the results Matt was after.

That's right, those weren't the results he wanted. He has told the whole world that. The result he wanted was for the religious proselytizing to end not only in his class, but in all the other classes, because it's a violation of the Constitution. Maybe you don't think the Constitution is important, but he does, and I agree with him, along with many, many others.

Guest Melanie
I thought he didn't do this for personal gain?

He didn't. The fact that he received personal gain does not mean that is what motivated him.

You're not going to do very well in college if you can't make distinctions better than that.

Guest Melanie
I will tell him that Sir.  The last I looked this is still the United States and if asked my opinion I will give it and there is NOTHING you can do to stop me.  And with my grade and my achievements I have achieved here at Kearny High far surpass what your son has done in this school and for this school, so see where that gets you. And why should I have to tell you anything? This is a public forum the last I looked.  I will get in and I will do good because that is what I was taught in this great school at Kearny High.  So stick that in your lawyer ......., where ever you stick it.

List your achievements, then, so we can decide for ourselves.

I would tell him my religion is a very personal thing and I would listen attentively like I do in all subjects and formulate my own opinions.  Whether they are brought up in class or not is my decision.  And from the class discussions there were no attacks from either side, verbal or otherwise. You were not there.  At no time during this class discussion did Matthew or Mr. P bring up the subject of the Constitution, so that was not an issue.

LOL! Wowie. So, basically, "I was completely ignorant of the fact that the Constitution was being violated because neither of them mentioned it explicitly in class."

I would ask the interviewer to review the tapes for himself for him to make his own assessment. I think my own character stands for itself and I do have creativity and imagination. And I am sure I would tell the benefits of how I could be an asset to this college.

Of course, you'd have to leave out "fundamental knowledge of the primary law of this country" in the 'assets' category.

And especially at the end of this interviewer speech to me I would make sure to get his name and number and notify this college of his interview tactics. This teacher has been teaching for a number of years with a large number of students getting accepted to great institutions like MIT and similar.  I would say that Mr. P's  teachings have not effected in any way how successful the other students who have passed through the halls of Kearny High.  I hope to be one of those success stories.  Matthew's handling and my own opinions of how he mishandled or handled it, have no effect on me.

And I'd expect him to scoff that performance of the students has no bearing on the fact that his teaching methods were/are unconstitutional, and ask you why you are making excuses for him.

Guest Melanie
You are a very difficult person to figure out.  In reading nearly all your posts in this forum, you are against religion and be belief of the existence of god.  And yet here you say this teacher is trying to abandon Matthew against the religion you raised him too.  So I wonder what religion did you raise him too since you do not believe in god? 

Somewhere here there is a major disconnect.  I can almost understand why your son is the way he is with this type of thinking.

Religion isn't just about believing in a god. Many people try to narrow it to that, but that's not all it is. To my understanding, Matthew was raised as a Humanist and attended an Ethical Culture Society for a number of years, and also attended other houses of worship, including Christian churches. He has said all of that publicly. If you were his classmate and were interested, why didn't you ask him? What aren't you getting here, and what are you telling us except how narrow-minded you are? What you're calling a "disconnect" just reflects the fact that you don't understand Matthew's religion. So ask him. Then when you actually know something, maybe we can have an intelligent discussion. You can, of course, continue to spout your ignorance, but don't think people don't see that that's what you're doing.

Guest Melanie
I would tell him my religion is a very personal thing and I would listen attentively like I do in all subjects and formulate my own opinions.  Whether they are brought up in class or not is my decision.  And from the class discussions there were no attacks from either side, verbal or otherwise. You were not there.  At no time during this class discussion did Matthew or Mr. P bring up the subject of the Constitution, so that was not an issue. I would ask the interviewer to review the tapes for himself for him to make his own assessment. I think my own character stands for itself and I do have creativity and imagination. And I am sure I would tell the benefits of how I could be an asset to this college. 

We've heard the recordings, so we know exactly what happened, which is far better than relying on your obviously selective memory. In point of fact, you're wrong. Paszkiewicz not only brought up the Constitution, he whined specifically about the fact that under the law he is not allowed to promote his religion in class. He specifically spoke about Engel v. Vitale, the 1962 Supreme Court case that specifically prohibits what he was doing. In other words, he specifically talked about what the Constitition forbids, and then proceeded to do it. He whined about the fact that the law isn't what he wants it to be, and then proceeded to break it.

So not only are you firing cheap, anonymous shots at your classmate, you don't even know what you're talking about. The student training on these issues can't come fast enough.

And especially at the end of this interviewer speech to me I would make sure to get his name and number and notify this college of his interview tactics.

Typical intimidation tactic. You people and the students who did not stand up cannot support any claim of being ethical. So if a college interviewer brings up the ethics of that situation, a legitimate concern, then go on the attack.

You have learned well from the Karl Rove school of ethics.

But people have gotten wise. These type of tactics usually have the opposite of your desired effect.

I will tell him that Sir.  The last I looked this is still the United States and if asked my opinion I will give it and there is NOTHING you can do to stop me.  And with my grade and my achievements I have achieved here at Kearny High far surpass what your son has done in this school and for this school, so see where that gets you. And why should I have to tell you anything? This is a public forum the last I looked.  I will get in and I will do good because that is what I was taught in this great school at Kearny High.  So stick that in your lawyer ......., where ever you stick it.

No one is questioning your right to speak. He's trying to point out to you that an interviewer from a good college or university is going to see your arrogance and stubbornness immediately. We can see it, and we don't even know who you are.

If this represents the quality of thinking that Kearny High is turning out, and that we can expect from our next generation, we are in deep, deep trouble as a nation and a culture. The Constitution is our nation's most fundamental law. We are all bound to follow it and obey it whether anyone mentions it or not. How can a junior in high school, taking an advanced history class, not know that?

You make sure you turn in that interviewer. Let us know how that turns out.

If this represents the quality of thinking that Kearny High is turning out, and that we can expect from our next generation, we are in deep, deep trouble as a nation and a culture. The Constitution is our nation's most fundamental law. We are all bound to follow it and obey it whether anyone mentions it or not. How can a junior in high school, taking an advanced history class, not know that?

You make sure you turn in that interviewer. Let us know how that turns out.

It is about the Constitution and common sense, from which I have read in some people's comments who also do not agree with this thinking. As a nation I am proud to be a member of it and look forward to making an impact, and doing it in proper methods that certain people do not think as underhanded. Congratulations in identifying that our Constitution is our nation’s most fundamental law. Give yourself a pat on the back. Until them I will do my best to be the best student I can and I suggest that you try to do the same in your every day life as well. But from your snobby comment I doubt that will happen.

Yeah, in that class--not in any of his others.

You guys just can't seem to think anything through, can you? This wasn't and never was about some personal offense of Matthew's--he saw that Paszkiewicz was doing wrong on the job, and he wanted it to stop. Not just in that class, but altogether.

How in this green earth do you have any idea what Matthew was even remotely thinking unless you ARE HIM.

Wow. Not all religions are theistic (or believe in the Christian God, especially), buddy--what rock (or church, for that matter) have you been living under that you don't know that?

Yes, the disconnect is between your mind and reality.

No. I have a direct connect with reality. It's not me who spends his entire life posting here trying to anonymously hide under a fictitious name. Nice try, loser. Guess you are not getting any speaking engagements or scholarships soon.

Guest Josiah

Last year one student from Kearny High (class of 2006) matriculated to MIT. This person scored a perfect 2400 on her SATs and has gotten straight A's in pretty much every class she has ever had. If that's who is being referred to, I seriously doubt that our beloved Mr. Packy had much to do with it.

... So stick that in your lawyer ......., where ever you stick it.

What an intelligent, well thought out response. I never understood the "oh yea, well... your dumb" kind of response that I have seen. Perhaps you should consider that there are better ways to make an argument, rather that childish attacks. I do not think poorly of you, but I think that perhaps you are angry and this is your way to release it. I hope you can understand why it makes posts like yours a waste. There seems to be no real substance in it, just personal attacks. Maybe you should try to backup your arguments with reason, and people may begin to think more of you, even if they disagree with you.

Guest 2smart4u
What an intelligent, well thought out response. I never understood the "oh yea, well... your dumb" kind of response that I have seen. Perhaps you should consider that there are better ways to make an argument, rather that childish attacks. I do not think poorly of you, but I think that perhaps you are angry and this is your way to release it. I hope you can understand why it makes posts like yours a waste. There seems to be no real substance in it, just personal attacks. Maybe you should try to backup your arguments with reason, and people may begin to think more of you, even if they disagree with you.

Good Grief !! Now Paul is posting as his son Matthew. First Strife and now Matthew.

Somewhere here there is a major disconnect.  I can almost understand why your son is the way he is with this type of thinking.

Have you really tried understanding me, or Matthew for that matter? From what I've seen you've made up your mind, so of course you can't understand.

I'm not against religion. I'm a born-again Humanist. My religion isn't just on Sundays, in fact it isn't even particularly on Sundays; it's every day, all the time. The way I see it, anything less isn't really religion.

As others have told you already, religion isn't necessarily about believing in a god. To answer your question, we raised Matthew mainly as a Humanist, but it's hard to categorize. In one sense, our religion looks to eliminate those distinctions, because religion shouldn't be about dividing people. It should be about bringing us all together in harmony with each other. That is in keeping with the original meaning of the word religion, which comes from the Latin words re (to look upon all things) and ligare (to bind together, as a ligament does). When a "religion" divides, it is actually an anti-religion. That is why I am so critical of dogmatic fundamentalism. Its choice of a scripture is entirely arbitrary, it's not based on fact and more often than not it divides people instead of bringing them together. You can't walk around believing that most of the world's people are doomed to spend eternity in hell, for example, and not have it poison the way you relate to people.

Now that's my opinion, but you know what, I'm as entitled to it as you are to your opinion. The difference is that I'm looking and listening and evaluating instead of just accepting something that some men and a very few women who lived thousands of years ago wrote down way back then.

I'm happy to answer any questions you may have about my religion. If you ask Matthew, he'll probably give you similar answers to mine, but not necessarily the same answers. Nobody knows everything, and to us religion is a search. Each person brings his own strengths, weaknesses, predispositions, etc., to it. But by all means, ask the questions. I wish that had happened from the beginning.

When I applied for college I was required to send in a writing sample. If this is the best you can do, aim low. Try a community college.

The transcripts clearly show P's culpability and his letters to the editor show his arrogance.

No. I have a direct connect with  reality. It's not me who spends his entire life posting here trying to anonymously hide under a fictitious name.  Nice try, loser. Guess you are not getting any speaking engagements or scholarships soon.

"Unregistered Guest" is less anonymous than Strife767? Before you accuse anyone of hiding under a fictitious name, give us your real name. I just bet you are a product of KHS.

OH you better be careful Matty has powerful friends that return his calls and give him advice. I think you got to the little shit. Keep your mind, it's the only thing you will really own. Good luck kid your a smart one.

Matt, I admire you immensely and I am so impressed by your ability to stand up to a fanatic and bully like Mr P, but I think you are giving this guest way too much credit. I doubt if he could ever come up with an argument more cogent than "Stick it."

People who think you did everything you did in hope of gain cannot be more wrong. After reading everything positive I have about you I cannot for a second imagine you slinking around, rubbing your hands together, and planning who your next victim would be. You have exhibited too much courage and generosity for anyone sane to think you had base intentions.

It is about the Constitution and common sense, from which I have read in some people's comments who also do not agree with this thinking. As a nation I am proud to be a member of it and look forward to making an impact, and doing it in proper methods that certain people do not think as underhanded. Congratulations in identifying that our Constitution is our nation’s most fundamental law. Give yourself a pat on the back. Until them I will do my best to be the best student I can and I suggest that you try to do the same in your every day life as well. But from your snobby comment I doubt that will happen.

But Frank's point makes perfect sense. You wrote that the Constitution wasn't being discussed so it wasn't an issue. But the Constitution is always an issue, and Paszkiewicz was violating it. Frank pointed out to you that your argument: the Constitution wasn't being discussed (premise); therefore, it wasn't an issue (conclusion) isn't logical. The premise doesn't support the conclusion. And Frank is right. It doesn't.

And that isn't even accounting for the fact that Paszkiewicz was talking about the Constitution, whining about it in fact, just as Frank wrote. Pointing out that your argument didn't make any sense isn't snobby. It's the truth.