big mouth citizen

Guest guest

Guest guest

i heard that a town employee made a complaint about a cop at a police function last weekend for lighting fireworks? how petty. i live on webster ave where this person also lives and saw them. there was about six fireworks, and they were nice. maybe people should support the police rather than try to hang them every chance they get in this town. then you will complain when you get a ticket for parking on ross lane or the easement they added. grow up.

Guest MakeItRight
i heard that a town employee made a complaint about a cop at a police function last weekend for lighting fireworks? how petty. i live on webster ave where this person also lives and saw them. there was about six fireworks, and they were nice. maybe people should support the police rather than try to hang them every chance they get in this town. then you will complain when you get a ticket for parking on ross lane or the easement they added. grow up.

Everybody bashing the cops and god, Yet when the crap hits the fan everyone says "Oh my God, Call the cops" You cant make it up.

Guest Concerned

I somewhat agree, but fireworks, no matter how small are illegal. We do not want to tell our children they can not have these things and then have a law enforcement officer display and use this stuff. I believe that with adult supervision, that they should be allowed to some extent, but that is not the case. They are still illegal no matter how you look at it. I personally would not have called the police, but would instead told my child this is what you are not allowed to do.

Guest 4th of july

Im sure it was nice but I thought that was against the law. I tell my kids about the fireworks being against the law, but I guess the police officer was showing he was above the law. My child did it I would probably be taken a trip the headquarters or perhaps paying a fine.

I love fireworks too, but if that police officer was called to the area where kids are shooting fireworks are they to say its ok?

Do as I say not as I do!!!!!

Guest Studies and Observations

Pretty soon, SOMEONE will be here claiming that the Original Poster, or "Make it Right" is either a Cop, or a Family member, since Everyone "Hates" the PD...I wonder, as the sumemr goes on, if this same person will complain about EVERY gathering that is held in that section of the park, or does he/she just have an issue with Cops and their families????

Guest Concerned
Pretty soon, SOMEONE will be here claiming that the Original Poster, or "Make it Right" is either a Cop, or a Family member, since Everyone "Hates" the PD...I wonder, as the sumemr goes on, if this same person will complain about EVERY gathering that is held in that section of the park, or does he/she just have an issue with Cops and their families????

:lol: No one said anything about hate.... what was said that what kind of example is man setting for children, fireworks are illegal in NJ thats the bottom line, I don't care if you are a policeman or regular joe, it's illegal, so stop putting the word hate in a place where it has no bearing on the situation

:lol: No one said anything about hate.... what was said that what kind of example is man setting for children, fireworks are illegal in NJ thats the bottom line, I don't care if you are a policeman or regular joe, it's illegal, so stop putting the word hate in a place where it has no bearing on the situation

Yeah, seriously. The cops are not above the law, and them doing something illegal, especially in freaking plain sight, sets an extremely bad example for the rest of us, especially the children.

Guest Studies and Observations

Well, the I hope that the Police Dept does a 100% enforcement on Fireworks this year, including Arrests, and Town Summonses.

Guest Guest

AGAIN! THEY ARE NOT ILLEGAL, YOU CAN BUY THEM AND SET THEM OFF WITH A PERMIT!

Guest Guest

First of all, why are you yelling? Secondly, where do you get a permit to buy them or use them? If thats the care then why don't NJ Stores (ok, Kearny Stores) sell them?

Guest bewildered

I sincerely doubt that the policeman had a permit. Why would someone go through the trouble of applying and paying for a permit just to shoot off six fireworks?

Not everyone is out to get the police, but when they do something wrong, it should be dealt with.

Get your facts straight!

Consumer fireworks are ILLEGAL in NJ.

Only DISPLAY fireworks are legal with the proper permits, insurance, and by someone who knows what they are doing.

P.L. 1930, c 42 amended through 1/17/84

P.L. 1937, c 51 amended through 1/17/84

http://www.americanpyro.com/State%20Laws%2.../new_jersey.pdf

Unfortunately, public scrutiny is one of the cons that goes with the job of police officer. I'm sure the officers are aware of it when they get hired and if they don't know they figure it out rather quickly.

Because their position is one of authority and taxpayer funded, police officers are expected to live above reproach. Easier said than done....their human after all. Nonetheless it is the expectation.

Fireworks are illegal in NJ. For everyone. Period. Should the officer be fired? If there were no injuries, no direct threat to public safety, and if there was no property damage then there shouldn't be a termination. Should he/she be given a warning and reminded of his/her position? Absolutely, Yes!

Is the person who placed the call to report the officers activity wrong. No! It is their right to call and complain. Does the officer have any right being angry about be reported? No. The officer should have known better.

You can't expect to enforce the law if you're not willing to follow it, no matter how trivial it may seem.

Do I think there are more important things to discuss besides an officers minor indiscretions? Ahhhhhhh YEAH!

Guest Concerned
Its only illegal if you dont have a permit.

And kind person, sure people have permits to sell them, but you tell me how the kids and even adults get them. So what you are saying is, that is legal for an everyday citizen to buy & use fireworks in the state of NJ? :o

Guest Guest
Im sure it was nice but I thought that was against the law.  I tell my kids about the fireworks being against the law, but I guess the police officer was showing he was above the law.  My child did it I would probably be taken a trip the headquarters or perhaps paying a fine.

I love fireworks too, but if that police officer was called to the area where kids are shooting fireworks are they to say its ok?

Do as  I say not as I do!!!!!

Wait until you see how many average joe citizens are "above the law" this 4th of July when the whole town erupts in fireworks and the police run from house to house (sometimes the same house more than once) asking people to stop and NOT arresting anyone. The cop wasn't being elitist, he was just doing what is commonplace in this town around 4th of July, except he is receiving 10 times the grief that the average joe citizen would get for the same offense.

Guest Guest

I didn't personally see the fireworks but one of my neighbors told me about it. He is elderly and has recently had open heart surgery and was jolted out of his sleep. I guess that doesn't matter though... I'm just wondering what would happen if the fireworks went out of control and hit a house on Ross lane or Webster or wherever and burned it down? Would it be petty then ?

Wait until you see how many average joe citizens are "above the law" this 4th of July when the whole town erupts in fireworks and the police run from house to house (sometimes the same house more than once) asking people to stop and NOT arresting anyone.  The cop wasn't being elitist, he was just doing what is commonplace in this town around 4th of July, except he is receiving 10 times the grief that the average joe citizen would get for the same offense.

(emphasis added)

That's because of the irony of the police being the ones that are supposed to be preventing, or at least putting a halt to when it's in progress, lawbreaking.

Guest Big Mouth Councilwoman

The citizen who made the complaint has lived on Webster for many years and I believe she has not made many complaints in the past, if any.

The residents on Webster aren't making a big deal about this and since none of the posters here sign their names we really don't know who is making it a big deal.

The police officers involved should not, and I am sure never again will, disturb the peace of our community and its residents.

Everyone doesn't hate the cops, I actually think they're great.

I just wish they would leave the rabble rousing to professionals.

Be safe and have a Happy Fourth of July!

See you at the fireworks!

We have a permit.

KOTW Note: The above post was edited for content. Since KOTW could not verify the identity of the poster, the signature (where the ***'s appear) was edited.

Guest Guest

i have been stopped for fireworks in the past by the police and they just tell me to stop, go away, or take them.....i dont see why they should be in trouble.....if the normal citizen doesn't even get into trouble....i can't remember the last time i heard anyone getting fined for fireworks..usually the cops are cool and just give a warning...

i have been stopped for fireworks in the past by the police and they just tell me to stop, go away, or take them.....i dont see why they should be in trouble.....if the normal citizen doesn't even get into trouble....i can't remember the last time i heard anyone getting fined for fireworks..usually the cops are cool and just give a warning...

Maybe they should stop giving warnings...

Honestly, if they're never going to actually fine people or do anything, then why the hell is it illegal in the first place?

Guest Guest

The point is that the cops NEVER should have been lighting off fireworks! That is the bottom line, if they didn't do something wrong this would not be a topic right now.

Guest Guest
Maybe they should stop giving warnings...

Honestly, if they're never going to actually fine people or do anything, then why the hell is it illegal in the first place?

I can't see cops going to a 4th of july bbq where a family is having a party, and writing a ticket to an adult there for lighting off a firework.....people in this town are rediculous, i guarantee they are calling the cops left and right about fireworks on july 4th..its not like fireworks just came out this year..they been around forever........guess what people its july 4th.....or maybe there are too many NON-americans in this town to celebrate....but thats another topic to debate...lol..