Jim Mangin run again

Guest guest

Guest Statistics

There seems to be some controversy on this board as to who wins elections. Go to the Town Clerk's office and pick up election results for the past 5 years or so. The percentage of people voting has dropped significantly, a sure sign of disinterest. Unfortunately, those low percentages result in the same core becoming elected. The "girls" have the coat tails of someone named Santos in a ward where the population has switched to many non-english speaking residents. No tricks, no magic, no great campaigners, just a different Kearny.

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest A. Realist
There seems to be some controversy on this board as to who wins elections.  Go to the Town Clerk's office and pick up election results for the past 5 years or so.  The percentage of people voting has dropped significantly, a sure sign of disinterest. Unfortunately, those low percentages result in the same core becoming elected.  The "girls" have the coat tails of someone named Santos in a ward where the population has switched to many non-english speaking residents. No tricks, no magic, no great campaigners, just a different Kearny.

Exactly whose case are you trying to prove? Yours or mine? I have always said that the "Yes Girls" and Super Santos are a winning combination. The girls win over the old guard Kearnyites and the King wins over the newcomers--unbeatable! That's why they're called A TEAM. Thanks for agreeing.

Incidently, the voters in the Third and Fourth Wards might be surprised to know that their "population has switched to many non-english speaking residents." And if the Second Ward voters were looking for a compatable ethnic name, then why did Sherry beat out someone named Santos ( Ginny) in the last primary?

In other words, your theory s**ks!

SANTOS AND "THE GIRLS"

A DIAMOND AND PEARLS

Guest Rosa Trolli
Allow me to make one obvious correction: my family has SERVED in Hudson County politics for generations and fortunately the people we serve have been most gracious in their support.  At one point there was at least one member of my family serving on the councils in Harrison (Angelo), Kearny  (Laura and me) and East Newark (our cousin Bill); while at the County level we are all represented by my brohter, Al.  My Dad also served as Harrison Councilman for many years.  It is a fact for which I make no apology.  In truth I am extremely proud of it.

Growing up we were all taught by my immigrant grandparents that public service was a duty as well as a privilege and that politics was a noble calling.  With all the years of service by various members of the Cifelli family, there has never been one shred of scandal attached to our name.  I resent the inference that we have served our own agenda. 

I have stated before in this forum that there are months when it actually costs me money to be a councilperson.  My private life has been anything but private, the phone never stops ringing and my home is open to everyone; and yet someone is always angry with me.  But I really love what I do and I do the best I can.  That is a true and fair statement for me as well as all the other members of the Town Council.  In all the years that I have served, I cannot think of any of my colleagues, even those with whom I usually disageed,  who were in this for monetary gain or self-serving reasons.

How easy and cowardly to make unfounded accusations from behind the cloak of anonymity.  It takes no great wisdom or insight to criticize from the shadows.  You could do with a good dose of courage and maturity.

Good for you Councilwoman. You have remained amazingly calm with all these mudslingers. If it was my name being trampled, i'd want to scratch out someone's eyes.

Guest second ward
Allow me to make one obvious correction: my family has SERVED in Hudson County politics for generations and fortunately the people we serve have been most gracious in their support.  At one point there was at least one member of my family serving on the councils in Harrison (Angelo), Kearny  (Laura and me) and East Newark (our cousin Bill); while at the County level we are all represented by my brohter, Al.  My Dad also served as Harrison Councilman for many years.  It is a fact for which I make no apology.  In truth I am extremely proud of it.

Growing up we were all taught by my immigrant grandparents that public service was a duty as well as a privilege and that politics was a noble calling.  With all the years of service by various members of the Cifelli family, there has never been one shred of scandal attached to our name.  I resent the inference that we have served our own agenda. 

I have stated before in this forum that there are months when it actually costs me money to be a councilperson.  My private life has been anything but private, the phone never stops ringing and my home is open to everyone; and yet someone is always angry with me.  But I really love what I do and I do the best I can.  That is a true and fair statement for me as well as all the other members of the Town Council.  In all the years that I have served, I cannot think of any of my colleagues, even those with whom I usually disageed,  who were in this for monetary gain or self-serving reasons.

How easy and cowardly to make unfounded accusations from behind the cloak of anonymity.  It takes no great wisdom or insight to criticize from the shadows.  You could do with a good dose of courage and maturity.

Dear Councilwoman, Maybe you can answer my question . I live in the second ward and I would like to know long have the residents been living with this sewage problem? And is anything being done to help them?

Guest Flabbergasted
There seems to be some controversy on this board as to who wins elections. 

There's no controversy. When the polls close, the candidate with the most votes wins. A win is a win is a win. All your spinning isn't going to change it.

Guest Guest

Please save the immigrant background, serving the community speeches for someone who cares. No one seeks to be elected to a position, for no money or less money than they can make in the private sector because they simply want to serve their fellow human being. There are many kinds of paybacks other than directly receiving money. Some folks just enjoy seeing their names in the local paper or seeing themselves on the local cable channel.

That being said, stop trying to deflect from the issues by pointing out my posting as a guest. This is an open opinion forum, it doesn't matter who anyone is. Anyway, according to A. Realist we should fear the wrath of the Cif-Pet clan for being critical. Maybe he/she has a point.

If you're so courageous just answer the question; what are you planning to do for the people in the 2nd ward who are having the flooding problem? Apparently the pump station will not completely solve the problem. And don't just spit out facts and figures fed to you by some engineer or contractor that's going to have a nice pay day from the job.

Guest Guest
Exactly whose case are you trying to prove? Yours or mine? I have always said that the "Yes Girls" and Super Santos are a winning combination. The girls win over the old guard Kearnyites and the King wins over the newcomers--unbeatable! That's why they're called A TEAM. Thanks for agreeing.

Incidently, the voters in the Third and Fourth Wards might be surprised to know that their "population has switched to many non-english speaking residents."  And if the Second Ward voters were looking for a compatable ethnic name, then why did Sherry beat out someone named Santos ( Ginny) in the last primary?

SANTOS AND "THE GIRLS"

A DIAMOND AND PEARLS

Yes, Santos and the "girls" are the winners. The question is, are the town and the people the winners because of them?

Guest Guest
There's no controversy.  When the polls close, the candidate with the most votes wins.  A win is a win is a win.  All your spinning isn't going to change it.

Whose said anything about changing it. This is a discussion on why the outcome is what it is.

Guest second ward resident
Please save the immigrant background, serving the community speeches for someone who cares.  No one seeks to be elected to a position, for no money or less money than they can make in the private sector because they simply want to serve their fellow human being.  There are many kinds of paybacks other than directly receiving money.  Some folks just enjoy seeing their names in the local paper or seeing themselves on the local cable channel.

That being said, stop trying to deflect from the issues by pointing out my posting as a guest.  This is an open opinion forum, it doesn't matter who anyone is.  Anyway, according to A. Realist we should fear the wrath of the Cif-Pet clan for being critical.  Maybe he/she has a point.

If you're so courageous just answer the question; what are you planning to do for the people in the 2nd ward who are having the flooding problem? Apparently the pump station will not completely solve the problem.  And don't just spit out facts and figures fed to you by some engineer or contractor that's going to have a nice pay day from the job.

I agree with you Guest . I have been wondering how long have the people been suffering with this flooding problem? Many here agree this is a serious issue. I cannot imagine living one day with their problem. Since no one is answering my question, maybe Mr. Mangin knows the answer since he served on the council.

Iam concerned about this because I live close to this area.

Guest A. Realist
  Anyway, according to A. Realist we should fear the wrath of the Cif-Pet clan for being critical.  Maybe he/she has a point.

Hey, hey, hey! Don't you dare misinterpret me. Stop pretending to be so dense. (Oh, you're not pretending?) You know very well I was referring to intellectual wrath and not political wrath. You guys couldn't endure an intellectual onslaught from Hudson County's First Family. I will go on record as stating that every Cifelli I ever knew (and I've known quite a few) was a stand-up human being.

Jealousy, my friend, is a loathsome and futile emotion.

Guest A. Realist
Yes, Santos and the "girls" are the winners.  The question is, are the town and the people the winners because of them?

Apparently the townspeople think so, or they wouldn't keep getting RE-ELECTED. Duh!

You know the voters are not sheep led to the slaughter. They have intellects and free will, and given the choice between the Santos Team and someone else, they continually choose the Santos Team. I know if you try real hard, you can wrap your little brain around that concept. C'mon, you can do it!

Spare me the demographic and logistics theories--Sherry and Doyle have been winning since before all the perceived population changes and the ethnic tailcoat scenarios that you guys use as excuses for your own inadequacies.

Guest A. Realist
Please save the immigrant background, serving the community speeches for someone who cares.  No one seeks to be elected to a position, for no money or less money than they can make in the private sector because they simply want to serve their fellow human being.  There are many kinds of paybacks other than directly receiving money.  Some folks just enjoy seeing their names in the local paper or seeing themselves on the local cable channel.

You know what that post tells me? You have been hanging around with some cynical, amoral, materialistic people. You are jaded by association, my friend. You need to get some new, more idealistic, more honorable buddies. Didn't your Mom warn you about "Birds of a feather...."? How very pathetic you are!

Guest Flabbergasted

That being said, stop trying to deflect from the issues by pointing out my posting as a guest.  This is an open opinion forum, it doesn't matter who anyone is.  Anyway, according to A. Realist we should fear the wrath of the Cif-Pet clan for being critical.  Maybe he/she has a point.

If you're so courageous just answer the question; what are you planning to do for the people in the 2nd ward who are having the flooding problem? Apparently the pump station will not completely solve the problem.  And don't just spit out facts and figures fed to you by some engineer or contractor that's going to have a nice pay day from the job.

It seems that you have a very low moral standard, but you shouldn't assume that everyone else is like you. There are people who do something just because it's the right thing to do. I guess you're not one of them.

I think Realist set you straight on what he meant, so stop trying to spin the point.

After reading Town Employee's take on why some questions are not discussed on this board, I seem to remember that there was some legal action regarding King Street too. I'm sure you would like nothing better than to pull a Council member's quote off this board to use against the town in court. You keep asking what is being done and at the same time you mention the pump station. What makes you so sure it won't work, or is it just wishful thinking?

Guest Guest

What an absolutely egotistical, presumtuous, pretentious, pompous ass you are. Where do you get the gall to determine what someone else's motives are! Speak for yourself.

Guest Guest

Incidently, the voters in the Third and Fourth Wards might be surprised to know that their "population has switched to many non-english speaking residents."  And if the Second Ward voters were looking for a compatable ethnic name, then why did Sherry beat out someone named Santos ( Ginny) in the last primary?

SANTOS AND "THE GIRLS"

A DIAMOND AND PEARLS

The post proves no one's case. Check the figures, (which are facts not theory by the way) and you'll see the percentages of votes produced is lower each year. Kearny produces no meaningful percentages for the County. and it continues to go unrewarded unlike Harrison. Sherry beat Ginny, for a few reasons. Ginny was new and somewhat unknown, she had no money or organization and both "girls" continue to use their Cifelli maiden name on their ballots and all election material. I assume you'll agree it is a well known name. Tie this up with Santos coat tails, party money and there you go! While you make it tempting, I will with hold comment on "a diamond and pearls".

Guest Guest
Apparently the townspeople think so, or they wouldn't keep getting RE-ELECTED. Duh!

You know the voters are not sheep led to the slaughter. They have intellects and free will, and given the choice between the Santos Team and someone else, they continually choose the Santos Team. I know if you try real hard, you can wrap your little brain around that concept. C'mon, you can do it!

Spare me the demographic and logistics theories--Sherry and Doyle have been winning since before all the perceived population changes and the ethnic tailcoat scenarios that you guys use as excuses for your own inadequacies.

Not sheep? Intellects and free will? You'd vote for a monkey if Santos backed him.

As for the demographics Kearny traditionally votes Democratic. This gives the Santos team at least a slight edge.

Guest Guest
You know what that post tells me? You have been hanging around with some cynical, amoral, materialistic people. You are jaded by association, my friend. You need to get some new, more idealistic, more honorable buddies. Didn't your Mom warn you about "Birds of a feather...."? How very pathetic you are!

Idealistic and honorable. What world are you living in? Let's see if Santos and the team act honorably with Mrs. Cali and some of the other problems facing them, then we'll talk honor and ideals.

Guest Guest
It seems that you have a very low moral standard, but you shouldn't assume that everyone else is like you.  There are people who do something just because it's the right thing to do.  I guess you're not one of them.

I think Realist set you straight on what he meant, so stop trying to spin the point.

After reading Town Employee's take on why some questions are not discussed on this board, I seem to remember that there was some legal action regarding King Street too.  I'm sure you would like nothing better than to pull a Council member's quote off this board to use against the town in court.  You keep asking what is being done and at the same time you mention the pump station.  What makes you so sure it won't work, or is it just wishful thinking?

People maybe, politicians never.

Realist is little more than big mouth with a decent vocabulary.

As for the questions that are not answered on this board; if the Councilpeople who answer some questions here are of such high moral standard then they should put politics and legalities aside and help these residents. If there are legal actions being taken it's because the Mayor and Council have tried to ignore the issue.

Also, the pump station probably won't work because it does not fully address the problem.

Guest Guest
What an absolutely egotistical, presumtuous, pretentious, pompous ass you are.  Where do you get the gall to determine what someone else's motives are!  Speak for yourself.

Who are you to judge me then. And by the way, it's spelled presumptuous, learn to spell or at least to spellcheck you moron. ;)

Guest Guest
Hey, hey, hey! Don't you dare misinterpret me. Stop pretending to be so dense. (Oh, you're not pretending?) You know very well I was referring to intellectual wrath and not political wrath. You guys couldn't endure an intellectual onslaught from Hudson County's First Family. I will go on record as stating that every Cifelli I ever knew (and I've known quite a few) was a stand-up human being.

Jealousy, my friend, is a loathsome and futile emotion.

Intellectual onslaught? You're kidding right. Are we talking about "Hudson County's First Family" or Stephen Hawking.

Jealous of Hudson County's First Family, that's a good one, I love it!

Don't you get tired of ******* ***? ;);)

KOTW Note: The above post was edited. (It initially slipped through, but was corrected after Councilwoman Sherry pointed out the very apparent violation of KOTW's anti-obsenity rule.)

Guest A. Realist
The post proves no one's case. Check the figures, (which are facts not theory by the way) and you'll see the percentages of votes produced is lower each year. Kearny produces no meaningful percentages for the County. and it continues to go unrewarded unlike Harrison.  Sherry beat Ginny, for a few reasons. Ginny was new and somewhat unknown, she had no money or organization and both "girls" continue to use their Cifelli maiden name on their ballots and all election material.  I assume you'll agree it is a well known name.  Tie this up with Santos coat tails, party money and there you go!  While you make it tempting, I will with hold comment on "a diamond and pearls".

I'm going to try this one more time. Now listen carefully. Whatever the numbers, percentages, demographics, logistics, ratios, or County involvement, the way to win an election is to garner the majority of the votes cast. That's what the Santos Team has done. Hence they are winners.

As for Ginny Santos, she is a longtime community and PTA activist with strong ties in the Second Ward. If I am not mistaken she has lived most, if not all, of her life in the Ward. She is extemely well known and respected. If you ever heard Mrs. Sherry's assessment of Mrs. Santos you would know that she (Sherry) considered Ginny her toughest opponent. And where did you ever get the mistaken notion that Ginny had no money or organization backing? She was backed, along with her running mates on the Mangin Team, by the Hudson County Democratic Organization and Senator Nick Sacco who has the heftiest campaign fund around, while the Santos Team was out there on Line E, for God's Sake---and Team Santos still won!!!

The Cifelli name is well-known and honorable and I commend the "girls" for being proud enough to use it. (And by the way, you might want to check this out, but I believe both used the hyphenated version of their name BEFORE entering the political arena.) Nothing wrong with letting people know who you are. Kind of like Mrs. Marks who used her maiden and married names in her recent election attempt. It seems to work for the "girls".

Guest A. Realist
Not sheep? Intellects and free will? You'd vote for a monkey if Santos backed him.

As for the demographics Kearny traditionally votes Democratic.  This gives the Santos team at least a slight edge.

Now you understand! I would vote for anyone or anything backed by Santos. That's how much I respect and trust him.

As for Kearny's Democratic tradition, perhaps the following elected officials would disagree--Leo Vartan, Henry Hill, Ralph Cattafi, Tom Frazer, John Leadbeater, Mangeheimer, (both Mr. & Mrs.) Art Bartaroma, Barbara Thompson etc. Get the picture? Do your homework.

By the way, questioning the intellect and will of the electorate is no way to win support. Maybe that's why you guys keep losing, you think?

Guest A. Realist
Who are you to judge me then.  And by the way, it's spelled presumptuous, learn to spell or at least to spellcheck you moron. ;)

There are at least four lapses in punctuation in your post. Learn to punctuate!

Guest voter

Sorry I do not vote because of a NAME . Thats not how I feel about the name Cifelli. A good leader stands up for the people but this Cifelli chooses to ignore us. I would not be proud being called a yes girl. Right there it tells all of US ONE THING. Yes yes Mayor whatever you say Mayor. Call that a good leader?????

Intellectual onslaught? You're kidding right.  Are we talking about "Hudson County's First Family" or Stephen Hawking.

Jealous of Hudson County's First Family, that's a good one, I love it!

Don't you get tired of ******* ***? ;)  ;)

KOTW:

The last line of that post is absolutely disgusting. I don't care who said it or in what context it was said. It is, in and of itself, offensive; and considering previous censoring on this board, I can't believe you didn't edit it. Both former Councilman Mangin and I have young family members who read this discussion board and while criticism and even sarcasm should be expected, obsenity should not.

Archived