Keegan landfill

Guest Ivy street resident

Guest Ivy street resident
:huh: mayor . First let me make you fully aware of our concerns about the keegan landfill. We understand and have for many years that it must be cleaned up. But peole are saying a 75 foot landfill of debris will come in by trucks. How long will there be trucks entering and how long will we see that 75 foot landfill.This does not make sense creating a landfill to clean up a landfill??????? We have no idea what the trucks will be dumping.I do not want to look out my window and see another landfill in the making.Right now we have problems with the trucks.

Guest A. Realist

Ivy,

Do you people ever read a paper or go to a meeting before you start belly-aching, or do you just get up in the morning, scratch your groin, pick a subject and start yappin'?

The current plan for the Keegan dump is the first sensible action on that site for over 20 years. It calls for "dry" construction debris ( NO ASBESTOS ) versus "wet" household garbage. The material being dropped will have to comply with strict federal and state laws because there will be random inspections on a regular basis. And the dumpers will be paying fees to Kearny!!!!! Over time the deposits will form a surface suitable for capping and eventually recreational use. Several state agencies are involved and are funding a containment wall ( I think it's called a slurry ) and collection areas for the contaminated leacheate that now flows into the Kearny Marsh and the Meadows. The trucks will not be using residential streets, but the Bergen Avenue extension and the Pike. So here's the deal----we finally can see the closure of the Keegan dump, we will actually be able to use that considerable acreage for much needed recreation space, and while it is in progress we get revenue; or we can just leave it as is and let the contaminated juices run rampant in our ecology. Hmmm. gee, sounds like a no-brainer to me!

HOW DO I KNOW ALL THIS? I WENT TO THE MEETING. KNOWLEDGE IS POWER, FOLKS. GET YOUR THUMBS OUT OF YOUR A**** AND YOUR HEADS OUT OF THE SAND. THIS IS IMPORTANT STUFF.

Guest Guest

You are 100% correct A., with one little clarification needed before the groin scratchers attack again. The trucks will be using the Bergen Ave. extension from Harrison Avenue, not Schuyler. The railroad overpass on Bergen below the DPW is too low for them to clear. One item you didn't mention was the covering will be 60 feet, not the 75 feet the uninformed had a dream about.

So, happy scratchin' folks and have a nice Easter. :huh:

Guest Ivy st.

let me inform you about promises we had on c-1 landfill and lets not forget what happened on the d landfill. All were suppose to reach a certain height and then close.NEVER HAPPENED. you must till be in diapers...........................

Guest A. Realist

Ivy,

I'm so sorry that those bad politicians from yesteryear lied to you about the landfills. I know it must be hard for you to trust again, but certainly you can't blame this administration for the sins of the past. You can put your faith in Super Santos. He'll get the job done.

Is it a bird? Is it a plane? No, it's Super Santos!!!!!

Guest Guest 99
let me inform you about promises we had on c-1 landfill and lets not forget what happened on the d landfill. All were suppose to reach a certain height and then close.NEVER HAPPENED. you must till be in diapers...........................

Uh oh, here come the sticks and stones again. Bring 'em on.

In the meantime, just sit there listening to the unimformed, street corner gossip and let the real world pass you by as you wallow in your misery. :huh:

I'm BACK!!!!!

You people crack me up. The purpose of this page is for people to air opinions and concerns. Then, someone from Ivy St. voices a legitimate concern with regard to their quality of life, and you attack them. You like Santos, we get it.

Not everyone else does. GET IT!!!

True, Santos cannot be blamed for the sins of the past, but we repeat them at our own peril. Despite the fact that I don't like Santos, I realize he is not responsible for all ills within the town. However, to trivialize someone else's concerns is not fair.

A fair and open debate is how all sides get represented with regards to issues. Therein lies my problem with Santos, whenever a member of the Council or County Committee disagrees with him they are replaced. Not my idea of open debate or representative government. Look it up, history will prove my case.

Guest Guest 99

If you reread the original post, it says, "people are saying". I'm sorry, but when people constantly shoot from the hip without gathering all the facts and insist on relying on neighborhood gossip, I will correct them so that other may get the correct information. While I fully realize some thrive on gossip and believe in the faith of the street corner preachers, neither of these benefit the town or the citizenry. On the other hand, when you attend meetings and hear it from the proverbial "Horses mouth", then you can make honest judgements and educated voting choices. Too many people these days just aren't happy unless they have something to complain about.

As to the Mayor replacing people on the Council, could you please name the victims? Alves, Paglia, Kelly and Torres all resigned and Cichinno and Mangin lost primary elections. Please elaborate. I know little about the County Committee, so no comment will be made. :P

Guest A. Realist

Loki,

Even you must recognize the difference between a well thought-out opinion and a whining gripe.

I don't minimize people's legitimate concerns; I even have a few of my own. What I do trivialize is the way some people handle their concerns. Instead of asking questions of the right parties and collecting all the information, they run around with that "the sky is falling, Chicken Little" mentality. They would rather believe the worst because that gives them more to complain about.

Oh, and thank you for admitting that Santos is not responsible for every ill since WWII. Mighty big of you.

As for the Council members who are no longer there, either they themselves decided to leave by resigning or the electorate decided for them. Don't give Santos the credit for that. Appointments to boards are often at the mayor's discretion. Why would he appoint someone who doesn't like him?

Put your head back in the sand. Fact of the matter is, if sewage were backing up into YOUR basement you would B**ch, and rightfully so. My point being that this board is for exactly these types of complaints. Especially since members of the council, and possibly even the mayor, do, in fact, read this board.

Every once in a while, they will answer back.

Special thanks to those that do.

Guest schulyer ave.

Super Santos ???? Look around and see what has happened concerning the environment. I must wait before I post more. Santos will win the election but I have info that will BE A GOOD FIGHT.................We need a new mayor and council..

• 2 months later...
Guest one who knows
Ivy,

Do you people ever read a paper or go to a meeting before you start belly-aching, or do you just get up in the morning, scratch your groin, pick a subject and start yappin'?

The current plan for the Keegan dump is the first sensible action on that site for over 20 years.  It calls for "dry" construction debris ( NO ASBESTOS ) versus "wet" household garbage.  The material being dropped will have to comply with strict federal and state laws because there will be random inspections on a regular basis. And the dumpers will be paying fees to Kearny!!!!!  Over time the deposits will form a surface suitable for capping and eventually recreational use.  Several state agencies are involved and are funding a containment wall ( I think it's called a slurry ) and collection areas for the contaminated leacheate that now flows into the Kearny Marsh and the Meadows. The trucks will not be using residential streets, but the Bergen Avenue extension and the Pike.  So here's the deal----we finally can see the closure of the Keegan dump, we will actually be able to use that considerable acreage for much needed recreation space, and while it is in progress we get revenue; or we can just leave it as is and let the contaminated juices run rampant in our ecology.  Hmmm. gee, sounds like a no-brainer to me!

HOW DO I KNOW ALL THIS?  I WENT TO THE MEETING. KNOWLEDGE IS POWER, FOLKS.  GET YOUR THUMBS OUT OF YOUR A**** AND YOUR HEADS OUT OF THE SAND.  THIS IS IMPORTANT STUFF.

this person has no clue as to what they're talking about.

• 13 years later...

To assist those of you coming over from Facebook to check out our archive of Keegan discussions, KOTW is boosting this post. You can do a search using or Search box and hit the magnifying glass to the right of the search box to get options.  We've been around for a long time so there is a lot of interesting discussions including several on Keegan.  Enjoy and leave some comments.  You can be anonymous.  All posts are reviewed before being made public.

KOTW

Guest Guest

March 28, 2005 post: "We need a new Mayor." Fast forward to 2019 (14 years later) and the same people are still saying that Kearny needs a new Mayor. What a joke! There's a toxic dump with chemicals invading the town's atmosphere, out of control nepotism and hiring at the bloated Fire Department, a BOE and school system that are producing barely literate students, dirty streets, a green space drought and already high property taxes spiraling out of control.....but guess what? Mayor Santos has absolutely no competition ahead for the next 10 years. Good job! VOTE SANTOS OR LEAVE!! 😂

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...
Guest Guest
On 3/25/2005 at 7:21 AM, Guest Ivy street resident said:

:huh: mayor . First let me make you fully aware of our concerns about the keegan landfill. We understand and have for many years that it must be cleaned up. But peole are saying a 75 foot landfill of debris will come in by trucks. How long will there be trucks entering and how long will we see that 75 foot landfill.This does not make sense creating a landfill to clean up a landfill??????? We have no idea what the trucks will be dumping.I do not want to look out my window and see another landfill in the making.Right now we have problems with the trucks.

How on the mark is this post from March 25, 2005. over 16 years ago.  Mayor Santos, when are you going to apologize for reopening the Keegan Landfill.

• KOTW featured this topic