MetroStars

Guest Guest_Harrisonian_*

Guest Outraged Taxpayer
NO ONE HAS DONE NOTHING. The next meeting is:

Harrison Mayor & Council Meeting

Town Hall, Harrison Avenue

Time: 6:30 p.m.

Go and VOICE YOUR OPINION

We need to organize. If the town residents organize we can force the mayor and council to recind this $40,000,000 bond issue. WE NEED TO TAKE AWAY THE MAYOR'S CREDIT CARD, HE"S GOING TO DRIVE US ALL INTO BANKRUPTCY. Please come to the next council meeting and join us in a mass protest. The mayor and council will hear us if we're big enough and loud enough !!

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest TBAHarrisonian
Are you kidding me ?? This town of sheep go to a council meeting and complain ?? LOL. They can't complain because if it's not on the agenda they can't complain.
I can tell you haven't been to a meeting. The clark sister don't have a problem talking about something not on the agenda and neither would you. At the end of every meeting you can talk freely. You may be timed but you start off with your name and address, then speak and voice your opinion.

I'll be at the next meeting.

We need to organize. If the town residents organize we can force the mayor and council to recind this  $40,000,000  bond issue. WE NEED TO TAKE AWAY THE MAYOR'S CREDIT CARD, HE"S GOING TO DRIVE US ALL INTO BANKRUPTCY. Please come to the next council meeting and join us in a mass protest. The mayor and council will hear us if we're big enough and loud enough !!

"No one has done nothing."

I hate when that happens.

Especially when it's going to be recinded.

Sports fans do their homework. They know the statistics of the players and teams are deeply involved in analyzing strategies and tactics on the playing filed. To them the game is a study not a hunch or knee jerk reaction. The looks, smiles, big salaries and rhetoric of the players mean nothing unless they are based on performance. Fans also look forward, thinking about foreseeing and forestalling their opposing team's adjustments and responses.

The same cannot be said about most voters. Half of them do not even know the name of their member of Congress. Half of them do not even come to the game on Election Day to register their opinion.

Remember this:

Season 3: Cop story

-- He collars a part on 'The Sopranos'

02/21/01

BY MATT ZOLLER SEITZ

STAR-LEDGER STAFF

Charles Trucillo didn't have to stretch to play a cop on "The Sopranos." He just had to be himself.

Trucillo, AGE, is a lieutenant who works in the traffic enforcement division of the Harrison police department. He has no previous acting experience, yet he won a bit part as a cop on the ninth episode of the show this season.

Trucillo got the part through the open casting call in Harrison last July, which was advertised in newspapers and on the radio, drew upwards of 14,000 people and had to be shut down early when authorities feared the proceedings might degenerate into a riot.

He wasn't there to audition. He was on the job. HBO hired him through the Harrison police department to work crowd control.

"drew upwards of 14,000 people and had to be shut down early when authorities feared the proceedings might degenerate into a riot. "

Guest not big enough
More  |  Subscribe  |  14-Day Archives (Free)  |  Long-Term Archives (Paid)

For a day, Harrison sees its population double

07/23/00

By Liz Leyden

The Star-Ledger

"'That's life'- it's over."

From a makeshift stage outside of Harrison High School, singer Mike Roselli started with the words of one Italian-American - Frank Sinatra - to break the hearts of thousands of others.

Roselli crooned the song to calm the throng of more than 14,000 - resplendent in silk suits and many thick gold chains - who flocked to Harrison yesterday, hoping to unleash their inner Italian and a land a job as an extra on the HBO smash, "The Sopranos."

By midmorning, though, Harrison police concluded that their 1.2-square-mile town in Hudson County was not big enough to hold so many dreams. And so, at 10:45 a.m., Roselli sang Sinatra and police bullhorns blared: The casting call was over. Finito .

After newspapers and radio stations across the country ran stories this week publicizing the casting call, which was scheduled to run from 10:30 a.m. to 3:30 p.m., HBO employees arrived braced for a big crowd. But they realized how big only when they pulled up to the school at 6:30 a.m. and discovered 600 bleary-eyed mob wannabes already in line.

"We thought we'd get between 500 and 1,000 people," one employee said. "But it was obviously going to be huge."

Henry Bronchtein, co-producer and director of "The Sopranos," said that the crew tried to cut the crowd down to a more manageable size by calling people inside at 8:45 a.m., two hours before the scheduled starting time. In two hours, Bronchtein said, about 5,000 people from the line were seen.

"We had every type of person: kids, adults, masons, lawyers, accountants, bartenders, a guy who works at the racetrack," Bronchtein said, adding that though public safety became a concern, he appreciated the devotion of "Sopranos" fans.

They expressed their adoration through fashion, an array of over-the-top stereotypes. There were muscled young men in skintight black T-shirts, older women with heavy gold rings on every finger, younger women poured into skinny tank tops, and even an organ grinder and his monkey.

Though for some, the look came naturally.

One man who declined to be captured on film - "I'm already in enough trouble!" - wore a handful of gold chains and a crisp white T-shirt across his barrel chest.

Asked whether he had dressed for the occasion, he said, "No."

Even Tony Soprano showed up - well, okay, it was lookalike Lou "Rocks" Roca of New Castle, Del.

Roca, whose fashion accessories included a pinkie ring, an enormous stogie and a pair of handcuffs, said he got up at 4 a.m. to drive to Jersey in tribute to his idol.

Others in the crowd came from even farther away - California, New Mexico, even Arkansas.

"I flew in last night," said Tommy Denomie of Hot Springs, Ark., a dead ringer for Tony Soprano's nephew Christopher. He wore his hair slicked back, and a shirt with a very wide collar.

"Since this came out, my phone's been ringing off the hook with people telling me I needed to do this, get here," Denomie said.

When the crowd got too tough to handle, Harrison cops went to the mattresses, calling in more than 150 officers from 11 other law enforcement agencies, including police from Newark, East Orange, Lyndhurst and Kearny.

They quickly descended on the town to ensure the peaceful departure of the disappointed masses.

"They turned us away, the doors are shutting," one woman with blond hair and sculpted dark fingernails called out as she walked sadly along the line - by then a dozen blocks long.

Harrison police Lt. Dennis McAlinden stood outside the school's entrance with about a dozen other officers, watching faces fall and voices rise.

"They started yelling, shouting, threatening to rush the doors," said McAlinden. "That's when we called for mutual aid."

For a half-hour after the doors closed, the noisy and unhappy crowd milled around near the school, unwilling to give up hope.

Though police arrested only one person - a man who broke a bottle and then smiled broadly toward nearby television cameras - many of those denied a face-to-face audition were seething.

"This is unbelievable," Lauren Rivell announced. "I can't believe this!"

The 16-year-old from North Plainfield and her twin sister, Alexis, lashed out at HBO after being turned away just one block from the front doors. Their mother, Lynn Corsie, agreed with her daughters that the execution of the audition was "terrible."

"It's worse than the White House lines," Corsie said. "They should've really cut it off, told people to stop gathering. I'm such a Soprano fan, I don't know if I'm even going to watch again."

Corsie paused and considered the enormity of her statement.

"Well, not really," she laughed.

In an attempt to head off a potential mass vendetta, HBO crews scrambled to find boxes to collect photos and rsums from the thousands who didn't get in.

"They really getting these pictures?" one skeptic asked a police officer, eyebrow cocked in spectacular street-smart style.

"Yep, we're bringing 'em right inside," the cop replied. The man paused for a minute, then quickly threw his envelope down. Within minutes the box was brimming with photos.

Danny DeRosa was one of the last lucky ones of the day, a 16-year old who watched the doors close on his parents while he was ushered inside the school.

Danny, a brown-eyed Brooklynite, walked away from the high school with glazed eyes and a wobbly smile. Though his feet touched the ground, he might as well have been floating.

"They said I was perfect, that I was just the regular person they're looking for," DeRosa said.

By about 1 p.m., the cinematic spirit had mostly lifted across town. Baby strollers were pushed, errands were run and Harrison, population 13,425, was once again quiet.

At the high school, a small crowd - 100, not 1,000 - milled along police barricades, waiting and hoping for the magic moment a casting director might still appear and say: "You!"

One man passed the block, kicking himself.

"I should've been here at 2 a.m.," moaned Gabriello Abatsamo of Jersey City. "I drifted over here around 11:30 a.m. The early bird gets the worm. Me, I'm late."

"Roselli crooned the song to calm the throng of more than 14,000 - resplendent in silk suits and many thick gold chains - who flocked to Harrison yesterday, hoping to unleash their inner Italian and a land a job as an extra on the HBO smash, "The Sopranos."

By midmorning, though, Harrison police concluded that their 1.2-square-mile town in Hudson County was not big enough to hold so many dreams. And so, at 10:45 a.m., Roselli sang Sinatra and police bullhorns blared: The casting call was over. Finito . "

"When the crowd got too tough to handle, Harrison cops went to the mattresses, calling in more than 150 officers from 11 other law enforcement agencies, including police from Newark, East Orange, Lyndhurst and Kearny. "

25,000 people for a soccer game, PRICELESS

S.O.S. PLEASE HELP

• 2 weeks later...
Guest 2smart4u
USA TODAY

Posted 7/1/2004 5:40 PM

KOTW Note: Click on link above for article.

Notice the USA Today article said the Metrostars are getting the revenue from the stadium. In a Jersey Journal article, it said the County would be getting the revenue from the parking garage. If that is the case, where is Harrison in this money stream ?? Harrison is borrowing $40,000,000 for this stadium project, how do they intend to pay off this massive debt ?? I think Harrison is being F---ED BIG TIME . I think the mayor was so anxious to land this stadium, he gave away the store.

8/5/2005Kiss Me Where It Smells : MetroStars To Build New Stadium In Harrison

Filed under: Football Ugly New Stadiums— GC @ 12:42 pm

The New York Post’s Brian Lewis reports that the MLS’ NY/NJ MetroStars can finally look forward to the day when they’ll no longer be groundsharing with the Giants and Jets.

Just a month after AEG president Tim Leiweke said the company that owns the MLS club would start giving it the financial backing it needed, AEG announced an agreement to build a $92.2 million, 20,000-seat stadium in Harrison, N.J.

“AEG has made it very clear that we have to succeed in this market to be successful, and this . . . will guarantee success. This is a landmark day, as it will create a brand-new cathedral for soccer,” said Leiweke, who has watched dwindling attendance and a bad lease deal at Giants Stadium hamstring the club.

The deal seemed done several times, only to have state and Hudson County officials balk at plans that saw AEG paying $15 million, then $30 million, and finally an even split of the $90-million stadium with the NJSEA. AEG — which just sold D.C. United for $28 million — eventually decided to fund the entire stadium.

The city will pay $25 million for the land and clean-up, and the county $38 million for a parking garage. The deal will be final once the county Board of Freeholders votes next Friday to approve $80 million in bonds, considered a fait accompli because AEG is guaranteeing the debt service.

In a slightly related story, this correspondent recently ran into Tony Meola at Newark’s Liberty International Airport, and was pleased to note that as the former US international goalkeeper approaches middle-age, he’s looking less and less like Turtle from “Entourage".

1 Comment » Of all the stadium deals and non-deals, the Harrison site for the Metrostars (aka Metro FC to some of us hard-core fanatics) looks the sweetest. Located on a bend of the Passaic, across the river from the futbol-lovin enclave of Ironbound, very close to the soccer hotbed of Kearny, and right on the PATH line out of NYC, with a station about 2 blocks from the stadium – this could be the best SSS (Soccer-Specific Stadium) in the US. Certainly the most Euro-feeling, with it’s urban setting, and the chance to grab a pint or two before and after at a pub within walking distance of the grounds.

How sweet it will be. While Hizzoner fronts for budget-busting NYC colisseums for baseball and football, the relatively modest cost of the soccer stadium in Harrison is the real future of sport.

Comment by Howard Brown — 8/17/2005 @ 3:50 pm

Guest 2smart4u
8/5/2005Kiss Me Where It Smells : MetroStars To Build New Stadium In Harrison

Filed under: Football Ugly New Stadiums— GC @ 12:42 pm

The New York Post’s Brian Lewis reports that the MLS’ NY/NJ MetroStars can finally look forward to the day when they’ll no longer be groundsharing with the Giants and Jets.

Just a month after AEG president Tim Leiweke said the company that owns the MLS club would start giving it the financial backing it needed, AEG announced an agreement to build a $92.2 million, 20,000-seat stadium in Harrison, N.J.

“AEG has made it very clear that we have to succeed in this market to be successful, and this . . . will guarantee success. This is a landmark day, as it will create a brand-new cathedral for soccer,” said Leiweke, who has watched dwindling attendance and a bad lease deal at Giants Stadium hamstring the club.

The deal seemed done several times, only to have state and Hudson County officials balk at plans that saw AEG paying $15 million, then $30 million, and finally an even split of the $90-million stadium with the NJSEA. AEG — which just sold D.C. United for $28 million — eventually decided to fund the entire stadium.

The city will pay $25 million for the land and clean-up, and the county $38 million for a parking garage. The deal will be final once the county Board of Freeholders votes next Friday to approve $80 million in bonds, considered a fait accompli because AEG is guaranteeing the debt service.

In a slightly related story, this correspondent recently ran into Tony Meola at Newark’s Liberty International Airport, and was pleased to note that as the former US international goalkeeper approaches middle-age, he’s looking less and less like Turtle from “Entourage".

1 Comment » Of all the stadium deals and non-deals, the Harrison site for the Metrostars (aka Metro FC to some of us hard-core fanatics) looks the sweetest. Located on a bend of the Passaic, across the river from the futbol-lovin enclave of Ironbound, very close to the soccer hotbed of Kearny, and right on the PATH line out of NYC, with a station about 2 blocks from the stadium – this could be the best SSS (Soccer-Specific Stadium) in the US. Certainly the most Euro-feeling, with it’s urban setting, and the chance to grab a pint or two before and after at a pub within walking distance of the grounds.

How sweet it will be. While Hizzoner fronts for budget-busting NYC colisseums for baseball and football, the relatively modest cost of the soccer stadium in Harrison is the real future of sport.

Comment by Howard Brown — 8/17/2005 @ 3:50 pm

"Relatively Modest Cost" ??? $40,000,000. may be modest by NYC standards, but for a square-mile town of 17,000, it is a huge sum of money to lay on the backs of many lower-income taxpayers.

And I'm sure the stadium will draw lots of fans from NY and NJ. But that doesn't help Harrison taxpayers one iota. ALL THE STADIUM REVENUE IS GOING TO THE METROSTARS !! ALL THE REVENUE FROM THE PARKING DECK IS GOING TO THE COUNTY !! What do Harrison taxpayers get out of this deal ?? Besides increased costs for police, sanitation and sewage, they also get to start paying off FORTY MILLION DOLLARS OF NEW DEBT. Ah, yes, this mayor and council is sure taking care of us taxpayers.

Guest Smart Millan
2003/07/10 Jersey Journal

Thu Pg 4, 712 words 

Harrison paves way for MetroStars 

Rose Duger, Journal correspondent

... all the language is fine. There are still items to negotiate, such as the schedule of actual payments." The resolution passed following a discussion that became contentious at times as several speakers questioned its benefits to Harrison. Councilman Anselmo Millan abstained from voting, saying he had only received the resolution hours before the meeting. Millan requested that officials postpone the vote until they had more time to review the project's finances. "I'm in favor of...  

At least Someone Had some Common Scence!!!!

Guest Thomas Powell...
1994/01/12 Star Ledger

HARRISON BOARD REJECTS 'INCOMPLETE' MALL PLAN 

... In addition to enduring traffic generated by the mall, residents would be affected by traffic entering and exiting a proposed Public Service Electric & Gas Co. (PSE&G) maintenance yard that will be constructed on Cape May Street, said resident Thomas Powell. 'About 125 Public Service vehicles would be involved,' he contended. 'There is going to be too much traffic coming in and out of town.' Gene Heller, president of G. Heller Enterprises, has said the 250,000- square-foot mall... 

, but as a member of the Harrison re-development agency, a 25,000 seat stadium is ok for traffic!!!!!!

Guest THOMAS POWELL
1994/01/12 Star Ledger

HARRISON BOARD REJECTS 'INCOMPLETE' MALL PLAN 

... In addition to enduring traffic generated by the mall, residents would be affected by traffic entering and exiting a proposed Public Service Electric & Gas Co. (PSE&G) maintenance yard that will be constructed on Cape May Street, said resident Thomas Powell. 'About 125 Public Service vehicles would be involved,' he contended. 'There is going to be too much traffic coming in and out of town.' Gene Heller, president of G. Heller Enterprises, has said the 250,000- square-foot mall... 

, but as a member of the Harrison re-development agency, a 25,000 seat stadium is ok for traffic!!!!!!
PRICELESS

Guest Pequannock Resident

Pequannock practice site a no-go

The plan to have the MetroStars build a new practice facility and corporate office in Pequannock appears off. According to sources in Hudson County, MetroStars president Alexi Lalas is in negotiations with officials in Kearny to build a practice site there and has scrapped plans to build a $10 million facility in Pequannock. Sources say Lalas is determined to have a practice facility located closer to the team's new stadium in Harrison and has targeted Kearny for the team's new training site, a decision that scraps a deal in Pequannock that had been in the planning stages for two years.

The Metros had reached a tentative agreement with local developer Muneer Badaan on the $10 million project more than 18 months ago, a project which was slated to be located just off Rt. 23 near the old McDonald Beach in Pequannock. The project lost steam soon after Lalas replaced Nick Sakiewicz as MetroStars president in June. The project had been slowed by protests from Pequannock residents and by delays in zoning approval for the project. Sources close to the MetroStars also pointed out that the Pequannock project was awaiting the final approval of the MetroStars stadium project in Harrison, which received approval in August.

see the full article at North Jersey Press Story

It's interesting on how the protests from Pequannock residetns and by dlays in zoning approval for the project led to its defeat. In Harrison the councilman follow the Mayor where he points them and the stadium is going to be a mess. Who in Kearny is negotiating with the MetroStars? Mayor Santos. Is this another secret deal like Walmart?

Guest Angry Taxpayer
Pequannock practice site a no-go

The plan to have the MetroStars build a new practice facility and corporate office in Pequannock appears off. According to sources in Hudson County, MetroStars president Alexi Lalas is in negotiations with officials in Kearny to build a practice site there and has scrapped plans to build a $10 million facility in Pequannock. Sources say Lalas is determined to have a practice facility located closer to the team's new stadium in Harrison and has targeted Kearny for the team's new training site, a decision that scraps a deal in Pequannock that had been in the planning stages for two years.

The Metros had reached a tentative agreement with local developer Muneer Badaan on the $10 million project more than 18 months ago, a project which was slated to be located just off Rt. 23 near the old McDonald Beach in Pequannock. The project lost steam soon after Lalas replaced Nick Sakiewicz as MetroStars president in June. The project had been slowed by protests from Pequannock residents and by delays in zoning approval for the project. Sources close to the MetroStars also pointed out that the Pequannock project was awaiting the final approval of the MetroStars stadium project in Harrison, which received approval in August.

see the full article at North Jersey Press Story

It's interesting on how the protests from Pequannock residetns and by dlays in zoning approval for the project led to its defeat.  In Harrison the councilman follow the Mayor where he points them and the stadium is going to be a mess.  Who in Kearny is negotiating with the MetroStars?  Mayor Santos. Is this another secret deal like Walmart?

Harrison residents should take notice how "protests from Pequannock residents led to it's defeat". If we had protestors in this town instead of sheep, we wouldn't have this stadium with it's $40,000,000 price tag being shoved down our throats. If we had a town council that thought for themselves instead of being yes men for the mayor, we wouldn't be facing this huge debt. When this council, all of them, took their oath of office, they swore to represent their constituents, the residents of their wards. Their responsibility is to look out for the people of their ward. I think they have all failed us. WHEN IS THE LAST TIME ANY COUNCIL MEMBER VOTED AGAINST THE MAYOR ?? HOW CAN 7 PEOPLE ALWAYS VOTE THE SAME WAY ?? In this next election we have an opportunity to show this mayor and council that WE CAN THINK FOR OURSELVES, EVEN IF THEY CAN'T.

Guest Also Angry
Harrison residents should take notice how "protests from Pequannock residents led to it's defeat". If we had protestors in this town instead of sheep, we wouldn't have this stadium with it's $40,000,000 price tag being shoved down our throats. If we had a town council that thought for themselves instead of being yes men for the mayor, we wouldn't  be facing this huge debt. When this council, all of them, took their oath of office, they swore to represent their constituents, the residents of their wards. Their responsibility is to look out for the people of their ward. I think they have all failed us. WHEN IS THE LAST TIME ANY COUNCIL MEMBER VOTED AGAINST THE MAYOR ?? HOW CAN 7 PEOPLE ALWAYS VOTE THE SAME  WAY ??  In this next election we have an opportunity to show this mayor and council that WE CAN THINK FOR OURSELVES, EVEN IF THEY CAN'T.

I'm with you. My wife, son, daughter and I will all vote against this present mayor and council in the next election. The way I feel right now, I would vote for anyone that will run against them.

• 4 weeks later...

The stands at the Meadowlands were virtually empty on a rainy, 50-degree night. The announced attendance was 10,003, but that figure seemed high by about 9,000.

The sparse turnout aside, the MetroStars are one step closer to doing something they have done just once in their 10-year history: win a playoff series.

As a resident of Harrison, I know that this Metrostars deal will cost the town to much money. The team may go broke and the county will pay the bonds thru tax payers. Stop it!!!!

The stands at the Meadowlands were virtually empty on a rainy, 50-degree night. The announced attendance was 10,003, but that figure seemed high by about 9,000.

The sparse turnout aside, the MetroStars are one step closer to doing something they have done just once in their 10-year history: win a playoff series.

As a resident of Harrison, I know that this Metrostars deal will cost the town to much money.  The team may go broke and the county will pay the bonds thru tax payers.  Stop it!!!!

First, the games will be sold out, whether it's only the first year or two. It's a novelty thing and will actually be a social event for the soccer clan, like the Giants/Jets are for the football clan. There will be more soldout concerts as well. Soccer does not have that many games, and this will not sit idle. I'm more concerned about the 'other' events. What are you going to do about 'rap' night concert. Thank goodness for the 'right to bear arms' in the constitution.

Second, as for the bonds. Learn what happens when interest payments can't be made; then ultimately if the bonds can't be paid back as well. Then we can discuss.

Stop it!!!

Second, as for the bonds. Learn what happens when interest payments can't be made; then ultimately if the bonds can't be paid back as well.
PLEASE FEAL FREE TO INFORM ME WHAT HAPPENS WHEN interest payments can't be made; then ultimately if the bonds can't be paid back

PLEASE FEAL FREE TO INFORM ME WHAT HAPPENS WHEN interest payments can't be made; then ultimately if the bonds can't be paid back

If you lent money and didn't get paid back, you whack somebody.

Very simple. Bond holders are screwed. Default and bankruptcy. Won't happen though. Resissue more bonds to pay the old bonds....on and on...and on.

These muni bonds ultimately wind up in some huge pension fund. It is not the average person buying them.

Guest Ok Pete, Show us the Money
and by the way... take a look at muni defaults in the us.... less than 1%.. does happen but rare...

The Newark Bears stadium was bailed out by the City of Newark and Essex County. They operate in the red.

The Metrostars are owned by billionairs (not millionairs but billionaires). If their franchise was such a great project why don't they just fund the whole thing without 40 million from the taxpayers of Harrison and another $40 million for a parking garage courtesy of the taxpayers (including Harrison taxpayers) of Hudson County.

What is Harrison getting from this deal? I know what McDonough and Higgins are posibly getting. Maybe they can borrow Janiszewski's desk. McDonough probably has some old desks in the basement of Town Hall he can use.

When the project falls apart the Billionaires will be in California and the Harrison Residents will be picking up the bond payments.

Archived