Walmart

Guest Guest

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Guest

I found Mr. Mangin's explanations interesting. The one on the Water Dept. rings true. That dept. has run at a yearly deficit ever since it came back to Kearny. It's a little known fact, and they just add money from somewehere else, which of course, costs more money. All you will hear is how wonderful the dept. is and how cheap the water rates are. Really not true when you take the yearly deficit into account in the complete figures. Can't wait to see mrs. Sherry's responses to Mr. Mangin's corrections to her post. If there are none, I guess Mangin is on the money.

Guest 2nd Warder
Barbara,

"Everyone is entitled to their own opinion. No one is entitled to their own facts." Daniel Patrick  Moynihan

"In 2003, it was a team decision to ask for debates between both slates.  We all felt that you and the Mayor had debated ad infinitum and that the voters needed a chance to see what the rest of each team was about." 

No "team decision." I sent the Mayor a certified letter challenging him to a one-on-one debate. He declined except if it were slate vs. slate. The decision to ask for a debate was mine - not your "team's" or my "team's." I don't know what the Mayor told you, but if you'd like I'll send you copies of the letters.

"The 2002 bond to which you refer was not for a water deficit, but for meters, a capital and hence bondable expense."

Don't you remember? We only "said" it was for water meters. We never used the money to pay for water meters. That's just what we told the public. We used the money to pay for the defecit. That's why I voted against it. I'll send you a copy of the Water Dept's 2003 Financial Statement to show you, if you'd like.

"What you recall as an "overpayment" to North Jersey, I remember as one of the closing costs included in the Kearny/E. Orange/North Jersey agreement.  Didn't you vote on this?  And wasn't this the subject of a rather comprehensive written decision on the part of the Town Attorney?"

You're wrong. The overpayment occurred three months after the closing and had nothing to do it. That's why I voted for the closing. The Town Attorney's written opinion acknowleged that we over-paid but there was nothing (he said) we could do because the settlement agreement said we can't sue East Orange. My plan called for North Jersey Water to sue East Orange for the money, not us.

"The 2 million dollar capital surplus you allude to was, I believe the UEZ bond, the proceeds of which had to be used in the Zone.  If we were to reappropriate that bond use, we would also have lost the paying entity."

You're dead wrong on this one. There's no such thing as a "UEZ bond," only the Town of Kearny can bond. The UEZ Zone Assistance Fund agreed to pay for the actual project cost. That's $1.2 million of the $3 million bond - leaving the remaining $1.8 million in Capital Surplus. The Town can use that surplus as long as the proper Bond Ordinance is ammended. Do your homework.

"I'm not sure what your point is regarding the water rates, but I will say this: that department couldn't be run any more efficiently.  The 2003 increase did not foresee the raise in rates from North Jersey"

My point was this - in 2003 we were told to put some of the water rate increase funds into a Rate Stabilization Fund. We didn't. A year later we had to raise rates again. And not because of a rate increase from North Jersey. Do you know how much that increase was? Just $27,000 - less than 1%! Who are you trying to kid?

"P.S.  You know I accept your apology about *****, but I just had to get some mileage out of it."

Getting political "mileage" out of your grandson is unfair to both him and me. I would almost call it "tacky."

Jim Mangin

Councilwoman Sherry,

Do you a response to former Councilman Mangin's post above.

Which the webmaster provided after I posted my response.  Right Mr. Webmaster?

JW

JoeW,

I am not sure. When you posted the fact that you could not edit, I did access the board's options to turn on the editing feature but did not find it. In my exploration I did turn on other options and may have indirectly turned on the edit feature. So, you may be correct.

I highly recommend that individuals register especially if they are using their real names so that they are assured that only they can post under that name.

KOTW

Guest oldfart56.
JoeW,

I am not sure.  When you posted the fact that you could not edit, I did access the board's options to turn on the editing feature but did not find it.  In my exploration I did turn on other options and may have indirectly turned on the edit feature.  So, you may be correct. 

I highly recommend that individuals register especially if they are using their real names so that they are assured that only they can post under that name.

KOTW

YOU MEAN LIKE THIS???

~--CARPET DIME--~

Guest A. Realist
Councilwoman Sherry,

Do you a response to former Councilman Mangin's post above.

Don't you folks ever read this stuff? His response was to her corrections of his former post answering her questions regarding his assumptions concerning his opinion of her thrashing of his original post. Besides according to you guys she's way too busy kissing the Mayor's butt and learning how to say, "Yes" in seven different languages. Love ya' Grey Panther!!

Barbara,

"Everyone is entitled to their own opinion. No one is entitled to their own facts." Daniel Patrick  Moynihan

"In 2003, it was a team decision to ask for debates between both slates.  We all felt that you and the Mayor had debated ad infinitum and that the voters needed a chance to see what the rest of each team was about." 

No "team decision." I sent the Mayor a certified letter challenging him to a one-on-one debate. He declined except if it were slate vs. slate. The decision to ask for a debate was mine - not your "team's" or my "team's." I don't know what the Mayor told you, but if you'd like I'll send you copies of the letters.

"The 2002 bond to which you refer was not for a water deficit, but for meters, a capital and hence bondable expense."

Don't you remember? We only "said" it was for water meters. We never used the money to pay for water meters. That's just what we told the public. We used the money to pay for the defecit. That's why I voted against it. I'll send you a copy of the Water Dept's 2003 Financial Statement to show you, if you'd like.

"What you recall as an "overpayment" to North Jersey, I remember as one of the closing costs included in the Kearny/E. Orange/North Jersey agreement.  Didn't you vote on this?  And wasn't this the subject of a rather comprehensive written decision on the part of the Town Attorney?"

You're wrong. The overpayment occurred three months after the closing and had nothing to do it. That's why I voted for the closing. The Town Attorney's written opinion acknowleged that we over-paid but there was nothing (he said) we could do because the settlement agreement said we can't sue East Orange. My plan called for North Jersey Water to sue East Orange for the money, not us.

"The 2 million dollar capital surplus you allude to was, I believe the UEZ bond, the proceeds of which had to be used in the Zone.  If we were to reappropriate that bond use, we would also have lost the paying entity."

You're dead wrong on this one. There's no such thing as a "UEZ bond," only the Town of Kearny can bond. The UEZ Zone Assistance Fund agreed to pay for the actual project cost. That's $1.2 million of the $3 million bond - leaving the remaining $1.8 million in Capital Surplus. The Town can use that surplus as long as the proper Bond Ordinance is ammended. Do your homework.

"I'm not sure what your point is regarding the water rates, but I will say this: that department couldn't be run any more efficiently.  The 2003 increase did not foresee the raise in rates from North Jersey"

My point was this - in 2003 we were told to put some of the water rate increase funds into a Rate Stabilization Fund. We didn't. A year later we had to raise rates again. And not because of a rate increase from North Jersey. Do you know how much that increase was? Just $27,000 - less than 1%! Who are you trying to kid?

"P.S.  You know I accept your apology about *****, but I just had to get some mileage out of it."

Getting political "mileage" out of your grandson is unfair to both him and me. I would almost call it "tacky."

Jim Mangin

Jim,

"You got your truth and I got mine, and never the 'twain shall meet." Alberto Domenico Cifelli, my father.

1) This obsession you have with the debate issue: How would you know what our "team decisons" were? You were not part of our team. The election results proved our strategy was productive. It's over, we won.

2) The water meters were at first paid as a current expense. Upon further examination of the budget, we, very legally and very responsibly, chose to capitalize that BONDABLE expense. For you to insinuate that your colleagues conspired to defraud or mislead the public is ludicrous and in my opinion, borders on libel. It just isn't so.

3) According to our independent auditor, Steve Wielkotz, after a full audit of the closing agreement to regain the water department, there was NOT an overpayment to East Orange. Even if you were right, the agreement precludes our suing East Orange and why in the world would North Jersey involve itself in a lawsuit on our behalf? Your theory was an exercise in futility.

4) The 3 million dollar bond was referred to as "the UEZ Bond" for descriptive purposes. As a member of the Zone Board I know that the UEZ did not acquire the bond, but they were the funding entity for payment. If the bond were reappropriated, the Town would become the funding entity. Isn't that contrary to your whole anti-bonding philosophy?

I have often stated publicly that I respect your zeal and your concern for Kearny, and you have stated publicly that these issues are "policy decisions"; and you're right. The mayor and seven other members of the governing body disagreed with you on policy. Our bond counsel, town attorney, auditor and the State of New Jersey DCA approved our decisions. Do really think that all of these experts would put their licenses, reputations and livelihoods on the line if we were doing something illegal or unethical?

As far as I'm concerned, this discussion has been beaten to death. I've got meetings to attend, budgets to negotiate and people to disgruntle.

Barbara

P.S. What happened to your sense of humor? The mileage I got out of your apology had nothing to do with politics. It was purely personal. After all, it's not often a man apologizes for anything!

Guest therese rutan
Is Walmart coming to Kearny.  Is the Mayor and Councilmembers supporting Walmart and how is that going to impact the businesses on Kearny avenue.

When Walmart comes at least there will be parking there if you choose to shop that store. My recent experience was this: I needed to get new glasses and decided to go to North Arlington for them. WELL, I went on THREE different days before I was able to find a place to park.

Last week I wanted to go to the religious store on Kearny Ave also near the Belleville Pike. On Monday I was NOT able to find a place to park AFTER riding around for 15 minutes. Decided to try again on Wednesday - the only place I

found to park was a yellow zone in front of the pizza business.

This week I paid a $54.00 ticket for parking there. I have arthritic knees. It is hard for me to walk too far.

In conclusion -- if parking were better on Kearny Ave. maybe some of the merchants would do better business.

Therese Rutan

Guest Guest
When Walmart comes at least there will be parking there if you choose to shop that store.  My recent experience was this:  I needed to get new glasses and decided to go to North Arlington for them.  WELL,  I went on THREE different days before I was able to find a place to park.

Last week I wanted to go to the religious store on Kearny Ave also near the Belleville Pike.  On Monday I was NOT able to find a place to park AFTER riding around for 15 minutes.  Decided to try again on Wednesday - the only place I

found to park was a yellow zone in front of the pizza business.

This week I paid a $54.00 ticket for parking there.  I have arthritic knees.  It is hard for me to walk too far.

In conclusion --  if parking were better on Kearny Ave. maybe some of the merchants would do better business.

Therese Rutan

You'll be able to park at Walmart. The question is how long will it take you to get there with all of the extra traffic that ENCAP will generate.

Guest shut_up_already

The bottom line is the stores on the Avenue stink. Most sell overpriced, low-quality merchandise that you can find in plenty of other places (tho some, like the Irish Quality Shop, are worth keeping around, they are the exception rather than the rule). Everyone in this town with a car & a brain already does their shopping elsewhere (any of the hundred malls, the wonderful Clifton Commons, Costco, etc etc), so why not make a store many frequent closer & more easily accessible?

I'm sure there are many seniors who don't drive who have never been to a Wal-Mart & would find it a welcome help on their fixed incomes. They deserve somewhere nearby to shop besides dollar stores.

Let's face it: the glory days of 'the Avenue' are long gone, & a store like Wal-Mart can't destroy what's not there anymore. It will only be true competition for K-Mart, but that's fine by me since K-Mart is filthy, overcrowded, & understocked.

Jim,

"You got your truth and I got mine, and never the 'twain shall meet."  Alberto Domenico Cifelli, my father. 

1) This obsession you have with the debate issue: How would you know what our "team decisons" were?  You were not part of our team.  The election results proved our strategy was productive.  It's over, we won.

2) The water meters were at first paid as a current expense.  Upon further examination of the budget, we, very legally and very responsibly, chose to capitalize that BONDABLE expense.  For you to insinuate that your colleagues conspired to defraud or mislead the public is ludicrous and in my opinion, borders on libel.  It just isn't so.

3) According to our independent auditor, Steve Wielkotz, after a full audit of the closing agreement to regain the water department, there was NOT an overpayment to East Orange.  Even if you were right, the agreement precludes our suing East Orange and why in the world would North Jersey involve itself in a lawsuit on our behalf?  Your theory was an exercise in futility.

4) The 3 million dollar bond was referred to as "the UEZ Bond" for descriptive purposes.  As a member of the Zone Board I know that the UEZ did not acquire the bond, but they were the funding entity for payment.  If the bond were reappropriated, the Town would become the funding entity.  Isn't that contrary to your whole anti-bonding philosophy?

I have often stated publicly that I respect your zeal and your concern for Kearny, and you have stated publicly that these issues are "policy decisions"; and you're right.  The mayor and seven other members of the governing body disagreed with you on policy.  Our bond counsel, town attorney, auditor and the State of New Jersey DCA approved our decisions.  Do really think that all of these experts would put their licenses, reputations and livelihoods on the line if we were doing something illegal or unethical?

As far as I'm concerned, this discussion has been beaten to death.  I've got meetings to attend, budgets to negotiate and people to disgruntle.

Barbara

P.S. What happened to your sense of humor?  The mileage I got out of your apology had nothing to do with politics.  It was purely personal.  After all, it's not often a man apologizes for anything!

Barbara,

You know what my father used to tell me? He'd say, "Keep your nose clean. And you'll always have a clean nose." I don't know what that means either, but THERE'S a man with a sense of humor.

Barbara, Barbara, Barbara. What am I going to do with you? The facts just don't support any of your arguements. All I can do now is offer proof. So, if you'd like send me an e-mail at jimmangin@aol.com regarding any point I've made and I'll send you the document that proves my position correct and yours inaccurate. That goes for anyone else. Send me an e-mail and I'll send you the proof. All I ask is that you include your name.

"P.S. What happened to your sense of humor? The mileage I got out of your apology had nothing to do with politics. It was purely personal. After all, it's not often a man apologizes for anything!"

I'm sorry but this is just wrong. You criticize me for jokingly making a comment that included your grandson. And after I apologize for that comment, you then felt it was ok to jokingly make a comment that included your grandson. Either it's ok or it's wrong. You can't have it both ways.

Jim Mangin

p.s. - I think I disagree with your statement that it's not often a man apologizes. Remember, I grew up with five sisters. You couldn't hear the TV in my house over the sound of men apologizing!

• 5 months later...
  • 8 months later...
Guest Guest

Watch out Kearny banks, not only is WalMart going to close down all the local businesses along Kearny Avenue, it is going to put you out of business as well.

http://www.miami.com/mld/miamiherald/busin...al/15060574.htm

Great move Mayor Santos. When other towns fought to keep Walmart out you greated them with open arms. Too bad the businesses in town are getting it on the other end.

Guest Guest
Watch out Kearny banks, not only is WalMart going to close down all the local businesses along Kearny Avenue, it is going to put you out of business as well.

http://www.miami.com/mld/miamiherald/busin...al/15060574.htm

Great move Mayor Santos.  When other towns fought to keep Walmart out you greated them with open arms.  Too bad the businesses in town are getting it on the other end.

Have you been donw there? There are more employees in the store than customers! the place is a joke!

Guest Guest
Have you been donw there? There are more employees in the store than customers! the place is a joke!

Maybe they have a greeting job for Joey "little ashpit" ******.

KOTW Note: The above post was edited for content.

Archived