Wating for 2smart to answer.

Guest Keith- Marshall,Mo

• Replies 264
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How about a clever reply from you explaining your supposed Viet Nam service and how you supposedly retired rather than go to Iraq ??

Oh for crying out loud-I'm only 31. You and 2dim claimed to have fought in Vietnam, not me. I fought in Iraq. My ETS date came up while I was over there. I didn't re-up so I wouldn't have to go back, so when I got back I got out. I didn't retire-that takes 20 years of service. I was honorably discharged at end of service.

What, in the Girl Scouts you spell VietNam differently ?

Psst, usually it's one word with only one capital letter.

Also, why don't you stop using multiple aliases? Who do you think you're fooling? It's becoming increasingly obvious that you and 2dim (and probably "BushBacker" too) are the same person, with the latest example being you both coming up with the same very strange, very uncommon misspelling of "Vietnam," with the "N" inexplicably capitalized (post by 2dim with the same spelling: http://forums.kearnyontheweb.com/index.php...indpost&p=59887 ).

Are you that desperate to give off the appearance of having some support? Sad, really. :lol:B)

Psst, usually it's one word with only one capital letter.

The key word there is "usually". There's a good discussion of this here:

http://www.lib.washington.edu/southeastasi...ietnamORVN.html

I've only read about 1/3 of the posts there, but that was enough to get the gist of it. Which, best I understand it, is something like this:

Writing "Vietnam" as a single word is part of the Anglicization of it for use in English writing. However, In its original language, it is normal to write all syllables separately, even when belonging to a single word. Because of this, the Anglicized version is also occasionally written with the syllables separated. This is less common, probably because it confuses non-Vietnamese speakers who would normally interpret that to mean that it's two words, though it should rightfully still be considered as only one. Dropping the space and leaving the "N" capitalized is even less common, but is not unheard of. It keeps the syllables together so that it is identifiable as a single word, but still retains some sense of the Vietnamese style. Patriot's two variants are not what is most often seen in English writing, but they aren't necessarily incorrect. And, could arguably even be taken as an indication of having had a more intimate familiarity with it than those of us who have only read about it.

So, sorry guys. It looks like Patriot is in the clear on this one.

I've only read about 1/3 of the posts there, but that was enough to get the gist of it. Which, best I understand it, is something like this:

Writing "Vietnam" as a single word is part of the Anglicization of it for use in English writing. However, In its original language, it is normal to write all syllables separately, even when belonging to a single word. Because of this, the Anglicized version is also occasionally written with the syllables separated. This is less common, probably because it confuses non-Vietnamese speakers who would normally interpret that to mean that it's two words, though it should rightfully still be considered as only one. Dropping the space and leaving the "N" capitalized is even less common, but is not unheard of. It keeps the syllables together so that it is identifiable as a single word, but still retains some sense of the Vietnamese style. Patriot's two variants are not what is most often seen in English writing, but they aren't necessarily incorrect. And, could arguably even be taken as an indication of having had a more intimate familiarity with it than those of us who have only read about it.

Damn it. Very well, I apologize for accusing him of misspelling.

I think the point Autonomous was making that real Nam vets always write Nam or say Nam or write Vietnam. I've know quite a lot of vets and this is the first time I've ever seen a vet use this unusual spelling.

Its like an Englishman who was in the colonial service of India. The native Indians will say Mumbai but that Englishman will alway say and write Bombay. If the Englishman said in a pub he did his colonial service in Mumbai, he'd be laughed out of the pub.

Guest Radagast

Sorry, I came into this discussion late. Would someone explain to me WTF the English spelling of an Asian country name has to do with anything important?

Is this board so deep into esoteric nonsense as to be virtually talking about nothing?

Just wondering.

Guest Guest
Sorry, I came into this discussion late. Would someone explain to me WTF the English spelling of an Asian country name has to do with anything important? 

Is this board so deep into esoteric nonsense as to be virtually talking about nothing?

Just wondering.

Someone thinks Patriot, BushBacker and 2smart4u are the same person because they make the same spelling mistake writing VietNam.

Guest 2smart4u
Someone thinks Patriot, BushBacker and 2smart4u are the same person because they make the same spelling mistake writing VietNam.

I have to confess, Paul and Strife are the 2 other names I use on this forum.

Whenever I've had too much to drink and I feel like bloviating incoherently, I

sit down at my laptop and become Paul. Other times I may act stupid and become Strife and just agree with everything Paul says, even though I (or Paul) don't understand it ourselves. Do I make myself clear ?

I wouldn't go that far.

BushBacker is a neocon bulldog. His posts defend or promote Republicans and/or denigrate Democrats. I have no problem with that-our main point of contention is that I don't like Giuliani. He has a more sophisticated syntax than the other two, indicating a probably greater intelligence. Other than his belief that anyone who disagrees with the current administration is part of the "Loony Left," (I'm center-right actually) he hasn't really had a moment of lunacy like Patriot's "Vietnam vets couldn't possibly have served in Iraq!" or 2dim's "30% of Democrats think Bush was behind 9/11!"

"VietNam" is apparently not an actual mistake, but it is an incredible coincidence to find these two using the same very uncommon spelling. It certainly isn't conclusive. However, the two are trolls, and sock-puppets are a staple of troll behaviour.

They don't ever really contribute anything intelligent to a discussion-in fact, I don't know of a single post by either of them that doesn't insult someone. In addition, they use very similar simple syntax, attacking one well invite a spirited defense by the other, it is rare to see them both respond to a particular post, and they seem to take turns-one day will see a lot of posts by one and not many by the other, the next will reverse the order.

However, the way they attack is very different. 2dim is the more juvenile of the two-he tends towards "Kool-aid" comments, insinuations of homosexuality, simplistic insults of his opponent's intelligence, and diminutives of user names. Patriot certainly does the same things, but he is more vicious. He tends to attack someone's character more.

Because of this I think that they probably know each other. They may very well be brothers. They might be the same person, but I'm more inclined to think they are just close.

Guest Patriot
I wouldn't go that far.

BushBacker is a neocon bulldog. His posts defend or promote Republicans and/or denigrate Democrats. I have no problem with that-our main point of contention is that I don't like Giuliani. He has a more sophisticated syntax than the other two, indicating a probably greater intelligence. Other than his belief that anyone who disagrees with the current administration is part of the "Loony Left," (I'm center-right actually) he hasn't really had a moment of lunacy like Patriot's "Vietnam vets couldn't possibly have served in Iraq!" or 2dim's "30% of Democrats think Bush was behind 9/11!"

"VietNam" is apparently not an actual mistake, but it is an incredible coincidence to find these two using the same very uncommon spelling. It certainly isn't conclusive. However, the two are trolls, and sock-puppets are a staple of troll behaviour.

They don't ever really contribute anything intelligent to a discussion-in fact, I don't know of a single post by either of them that doesn't insult someone. In addition, they use very similar simple syntax, attacking one well invite a spirited defense by the other, it is rare to see them both respond to a particular post, and they seem to take turns-one day will see a lot of posts by one and not many by the other, the next will reverse the order.

However, the way they attack is very different. 2dim is the more juvenile of the two-he tends towards "Kool-aid" comments, insinuations of homosexuality, simplistic insults of his opponent's intelligence, and diminutives of user names. Patriot certainly does the same things, but he is more vicious. He tends to attack someone's character more.

Because of this I think that they probably know each other. They may very well be brothers. They might be the same person, but I'm more inclined to think they are just close.

Me, vicious ?? I'm really just a nice guy that can't stand the LoonyLeft. I support Republican philosophy; a strong military, personal responsibility and closed borders. I detest defeatocratic principles; a nanny state, national health care, high taxes, no personal responsibility, open borders and a weak military. And BTW, I don't know 2smart4u or BushBacker

I wouldn't go that far.

I agree that they don't contribute anything positive or worthwhile to our discussions. Unfortunately and tragically for our country and our culture, an entire political style has grown up around this way of doing things.

I wouldn't go that far.

You make a good point. Maybe they're buddies or just part of the same fundie group or something. Or maybe it's one guy with MPD. :lol: Who knows? Either way, they rarely post anything worthwhile.

You make a good point. Maybe they're buddies or just part of the same fundie group or something. Or maybe it's one guy with MPD. :lol: Who knows? Either way, they rarely post anything worthwhile.

If you really feel they're useless, put them on the ignore list. In the long run it could be less aggravating.

I did that with Bryan. His posts are SOOOO long and usually filled with dribble. I no longer feel like scrolling page after page just to get to the next post. Too bad ignore does not remove their quotes when other people quote them.